Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A Regional Championship: Heritage Hills (11-1) @ Batesville (11-1)

I would agree that you couldn't really tell on the livestream. Batesville's head coach during his post-game comments mentioned it was a pick play with the receiver blocking the DB down field. The DB grabbed him to try to get through the pick to go cover his guy. Batesville's coach called it a mistake by the officials and should been an offensive pass interference.

1 hour ago, Coffin K9 said:

Defensive holding. Absolute garbage call!!!! Is what it is, but it killed us. 

37 minutes ago, Trojan12 said:

I would agree that you couldn't really tell on the livestream. Batesville's head coach during his post-game comments mentioned it was a pick play with the receiver blocking the DB down field. The DB grabbed him to try to get through the pick to go cover his guy. Batesville's coach called it a mistake by the officials and should been an offensive pass interference.

Got it- thank you. I won’t disagree that that seemed to be a key moment in the game 

In close games- everything is magnified-HH has definitely been on the correct side of some 50/50 calls this postseason…but hey- that’s the way it goes! 

57 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Can you tell me at what point in the game the “garbage call” occurred?

End of 3rd Quarter. 

Dogs led 21-14 with a little over a minute in the 3rd. HH had the ball, 3rd and 11 from their own 19. Batesville sacked their QB at the 5 making it 4th and long from their own 5, and they called defensive holding on a roll out pick play!!! 

I rarely, if ever, blame a game on the refs but that call undoubtedly changed the course of the game! We made mistakes, no denying that, but if you were at the game you KNOW that the call changed the game. 

It's water under the bridge now, but I hate to see a game impacted by officials like that. 

47 minutes ago, Trojan12 said:

the EC game was over by halftime so I ended up watching most of the bville livestream. I had no idea there was an issue until this thread. i have no idea how bad that call was but batesville's qb's interceptions were all pretty terrible  so i'm not sure the call was the difference even if it was legitimate call. 

HH's QB is a player!!!!!

Hey, while you’re posting questionable calls, can someone also post the holding call on the jet sweep and the pass they called the receiver out of bounds, both against HH?  Haven’t had the chance to check film yet.

Come on people let’s not lose sight of the fact this was a great game - for both team.  There are always questionable calls and no-calls for both teams throughout a game.  The Patriots were good enough to find a way to win, and Batesville wasn’t, at least not last night.  Hats off to both teams.   Keep it rollin’ Patriots!

• Like 1

It won't change anything, so it really doesn't matter. I wouldn't have even brought it up if someone hadn't asked. Yes, there were mistakes made (like interceptions), but if you were there, you KNOW that it was a HUGE momentum shift. After that HH executed well and won the game. I will say, HH made very few mistakes. 

The hold on the jet sweep was right in front of me and 100% a holding call. The out of bounds I couldn't see, and haven't looked at on film. The first TD...WR landed in the white and appeared to be out of bounds to me. Hard to tell on film though. 

Calls are part of the game, I'm not denying that. Maybe Batesville should have taken it out of their hands in others ways, but the holding call when the Slot clearly comes at our OLB hands first to pick him was a horrible call that impacted the game. Period!

In my opinion, Batesville had the better football team. HH made fewer mistakes and executed well. In the end, they move on and the Bulldogs don't. That's life. 

4 minutes ago, NumbersNvrLie said:

Looks to me like HH WR continues to work up the field but is impeded by the defender good call

Contact before the ball is in the air is legal in high school...the ball was never in the air. Slot comes off the ball with hands out to block OLB, OLB believes he is being blocked (QB is rolling and is a big run threat). They are tied up for a second or two, then OLB runs with Slot once it's clear that the Slot is continuing on a route. Crucial point for the referees to influence the game on THAT call (in real time). 

One call usually doesn't decide a game, and the Bulldogs certainly could done things better to secure the victory. I just hate it when a very questionable call by an official has an impact. 

4 hours ago, Trojan12 said:

This is why you don’t go to coaches for your rules information.

First, and most obviously, one of the requirements for offensive pass interference is that there actually be a legal forward pass during the down … which there obviously wasn’t here. So, not throwing the flag for OPI was not a “mistake by the officials.”

Secondly, the video I saw showed the receiver and the DB lock up initially when the receiver came out to block/pick him. But contrary to what you quoted the Coach as saying, the DB was not attempting to fight through the pick. After the initial contact, the receiver tried to run past the DB, who grabbed and restricted him as he was trying to run past him. That video supports the “garbage call.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

This is why you don’t go to coaches for your rules information.

First, and most obviously, one of the requirements for offensive pass interference is that there actually be a legal forward pass during the down … which there obviously wasn’t here. So, not throwing the flag for OPI was not a “mistake by the officials.”

Secondly, the video I saw showed the receiver and the DB lock up initially when the receiver came out to block/pick him. But contrary to what you quoted the Coach as saying, the DB was not attempting to fight through the pick. After the initial contact, the receiver tried to run past the DB, who grabbed and restricted him as he was trying to run past him. That video supports the “garbage call.”

Dude threw ONE flag all night, which he got right…..I love the internet!

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Haha 1

YEE.YEE..YEE...

Looks like a good jam to Ole C3

Triple looked hard in the rulebook today,

Nowhere did he find that the defensive play must get out of the way.

For all you professionals, it shouldn't be a shocker,

There was no questionable contact, after the receiver wasn't a potential blocker.  (He's pushing him away)

Offense, Offense that's all we seek.

Good luck to the Pat's, in their battle next week

Benny and the Jett, had too much fight.

See you all next year, Triple C out, good night.

1 minute ago, CountryClubCowboy3 said:

YEE.YEE..YEE...

Looks like a good jam to Ole C3

Triple looked hard in the rulebook today,

Nowhere did he find that the defensive play must get out of the way.

For all you professionals, it shouldn't be a shocker,

There was no questionable contact, after the receiver wasn't a potential blocker.  (He's pushing him away)

Offense, Offense that's all we seek.

Good luck to the Pat's, in their battle next week

Benny and the Jett, had too much fight.

See you all next year, Triple C out, good night.

You’re a better poet than you are an official. 🤣

• Like 1