Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2024 NFL Off Season

Irishman

So, openings are being filled, but BB is still without a job. I would say the odds are pretty high that he does not land a job at this point. I just think where current openings are, it will take some time to get the program on track. Does he have the time needed? Or even the commitment level to do the job well?  Thoughts? 

18 hours ago, Irishman said:

So, openings are being filled, but BB is still without a job. I would say the odds are pretty high that he does not land a job at this point. I just think where current openings are, it will take some time to get the program on track. Does he have the time needed? Or even the commitment level to do the job well?  Thoughts? 

Very interesting Irish...I thought the same when the Falcons passed on BB.  I also found it interesting that BB is not getting that many interviews with an original fair amount of openings.  Given his age, do you think teams may be passing for what they consider are more relatable, flexible coaches? 

Teams such as the Titans, Raiders, etc. didn't even consider...perhaps they had phone conversations.  I believe only the Seahawks and Commanders are left with vacancies unless a team abruptly fires a coach.  I was wondering if the Eagles or even the Bills would pull the trigger, but they didn't.  Kind of tells me teams are not viewing BB as an upgrade to get them over the hump.  Lots of interesting articles about this...below is one.

https://sports.yahoo.com/as-falcons-pass-on-bill-belichick-its-clear-what-is-shutting-him-out-of-this-nfl-head-coaching-hiring-cycle-012324964.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADLIj8Wl1jZDu3bWyJ8yhF5cht-C0bYotgu5A4mL-XTMrheq4qo7WIuRJXmfRJrnmZnySgFmbOzZO-ZYxVaueiQJxP66PCmfATaBVPbIEd1z3pT0pd6ccOuIvn7BpFpDu_zs0LBeQFe-QaRHS6qut1-opwZyM1EZaH3KHEyLO1m4

Is anyone surprised that Vrabel isn't landing anywhere?  I was surprised the Pats didn't view him as a serious candidate.

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Irishman said:

I agree about Vrabel too; really surprised he has not landed somewhere. I am curious if he is just stepping away for a bit. 

Initially, I thought Vrabel’s availability gave Ryan Day something to be worried about…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Initially, I thought Vrabel’s availability gave Ryan Day something to be worried about…

He’s still got plenty to worry about. But I’m also puzzled that no one has snapped Vrabel up. He’s relatively young, and isn’t going to demand total control, unlike Belichik.

• Like 1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10107309-tom-brady-to-replace-greg-olsen-as-foxs-no-1-game-analyst-for-2024-nfl-season

Tom Brady will officially step into the broadcasting booth in 2024, but he will be replacing a fan-favorite.

Per Michael McCarthy of Front Office Sports, Brady confirmed he will join Fox as the network's lead NFL game analyst for the 2024 season. Former tight end Greg Olsen, who excelled in the role this season, will drop down to the No. 2 crew.

Brady will be working alongside Fox's No. 1 play-by-play announcer Kevin Burkhardt. The expectation is that Olsen will call games with Joe Davis.

"I believe I can provide a pretty unique perspective that I think a lot of people will really like. It's going to be a lot of hard work. It's going to be a lot of fun," Brady told McCarthy. "It's always about challenging yourself to grow in different areas. And this is certainly one way that I'm doing it."

The legendary quarterback signed a 10-year, $375 million contract with Fox in May 2022, but there was a lack of clarity as to when he would be ready to join the network as its top color commentator. He took a "gap year" after his retirement to prepare for the position.

A crappy deal for Mr. Olsen, I kind of like him in the broadcast booth.    But a big break for Tom, he was struggling to make ends meet there for a bit. *sarcasm*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10107309-tom-brady-to-replace-greg-olsen-as-foxs-no-1-game-analyst-for-2024-nfl-season

A crappy deal for Mr. Olsen, I kind of like him in the broadcast booth.    But a big break for Tom, he was struggling to make ends meet there for a bit. *sarcasm*

I believe that Olsen has a provision in his contract that allows him to leave Fox for another network, but only if it is to take a No. 1 position. I also understand the difference in compensation between the No. 1 team and the No. 2 is pretty substantial.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bobref said:

I also understand the difference in compensation between the No. 1 team and the No. 2 is pretty substantial.

Reportedly 7 million dollars: https://deadspin.com/greg-olsen-tom-brady-fox-sports-nfl-1851215797

Greg Olsen joined the Dan Patrick Show yesterday, and he was pretty honest about not feeling great that Tom Brady is going to bump him from the No. 1 slot on Fox broadcasts of the NFL. There’s also the little nugget that slotting down the No. 2 team is going to cost Olsen some $7 million a year. Hard to take lying down.

It wouldn’t be surprising if Brady is acceptable or better at the job. On the rare occasions he’s been left to just speak about the ins and outs of the game he’s pretty good at spelling things out clearly. That doesn’t mean he needs to be automatic in the role, or why Fox thinks they need the biggest name possible when their ratings are already through the roof and pay him a ridiculous amount of money to do so when Olsen is already doing the job as well as possible.

This has become something of an arms race between the networks, though it’s unclear why. People are going to tune into the NFL if Statler and Waldorf were doing the game (and that’s an experiment worth trying). But once CBS got the recently retired Tony Romo, and everyone seemed to ignore how awful he was at the job, and then ESPN chased down Buck and Aikman, and Amazon had to have Al Michaels, everyone’s gotta have a toy. Olsen is merely good at the job, really good, but that doesn’t move the needle, even if that needle only exists in Fox executives’ heads.

Olsen is certainly getting screwed, and he’s far better at the job than Romo and likely to be better than Brady. Like many people, he’s getting beaten out by someone with greater name recognition and that’s it simply for the sake of it. But hey, that’s showbiz. 

Mr. Romo truly is awful in the broadcast booth.  I don't know how a consummate pro like Jim Nantz stands him.

• Like 1