• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Royal Pride

New Palestine 84 Pendleton 17

207 posts in this topic

Spend some time away from a program that doesn't have the numbers you are used to seeing at your beloved Rebels.   Its truly a numbers game, sorry if you don't want to believe it or acknowledge it, but its the simple facts.   

Been around high school football along time Coach.  New Pal has the numbers to pull their starters up 70 points after the first series and then not throw the ball. I know you don't want to believe it or acknowledge it, but its the simple facts.  

correct, if my JV kid played the 3rd quarter, we would not play him in the 4th, if they did get 2 quarters then the following JV game they would only have 3 quarters. Just did it last week. Twin Lakes Varsity game we had a kid get 2 quarters 1st and 4th on Friday, he played 1st and 3rd and 4th on the following Monday's JV game against TL, 5 total quarters on the week.

Sorry if you find it hard to believe, but this is the reality of many programs. Our Frosh team plays a lot of JV teams, for instance this Monday, as in tomorrow, my JV stays home and plays Cass, while Frosh will go to Delphi and play their JV, which is mostly freshman anyways. We were up big in the 3rd on Saturday, we couldn't wholesale sub until the 4th. But we will not put in our Freshman against Varsity guys, that is just silly.

Fbking16, you are passionate about your stance, I can appreciate that, but your tone of thinking somehow that Coach Ralph and his staff were on the sidelines scheming more ways to score in the 2nd half is just comical to me at best. There is no shenanigans, no ill will, malicious intent. Sorry you won't buy it, your prerogative, but you are barking up the wrong tree my man.

Spend some time away from a program that doesn't have the numbers you are used to seeing at your beloved Rebels. Its truly a numbers game, sorry if you don't want to believe it or acknowledge it, but its the simple facts.

Appreciate the feedback. My stance is passionate and it won't change, I don't mind the margin of scores New Pal is winning by. I have a problem with New Pal, and any team for that matter, playing their starters late into the third quarter of a 60 point game, and pointing to the quarter rule as the reason for doing so. At what point does common sense over rule come into play? It's A) not smart to be playing my starters at this point in the game and B) do I really embarrass the other team because of this rule? My next passionate topic of debate will be the gutless quarter rule. Edited by Footballking16

You know what else I did last Monday, we were up 18-0 at half, so the Freshman I brought with us I played in the 3rd quarter to get them reps, they only got 1 quarter of action plus special teams as they had a game up at Highland on Thursday.   I wanted to get a freshman a carry to watch him on film and continue to work with improving our entire program, so I called a TO to get 1 more rep against TL JV with the 5 frosh I had in the game.   

Quarters and Reps at JV/9th grade level for programs that roll 3 teams with only 50 some players is crucial in development and preparing for Friday nights.  

You see, when you paint the picture like that its NOT what happened at LOS.  New Pal ran Inside zone for 1 and 1/2 quarters of a 2nd half.  No onsides, no deep passes, got everyone in the game who was dressed.   

Why its a great thing they did not have any, to quote you "deep passes".  Let's all applaud that together.  

How can you both RebelDAD able to make these assumptions about New Pal's intent when you have ZERO connections and just go by final score.  Assuming an awful lot about a program you have not taken the time to know, and a coach you have not taken the time to listen to clinic, speak, and work.  Just going by the final score and start throwing accusations of unsportsmanlike conduct, when there was none.  

We literally went thru the same scenario lsat year vs Tipton.  They knew we had no ill intent on the final score, we ran Power and WB counter, our 2 base plays out of our offense the entire 4th quarter.   Sometimes games like that happen.  It would up 77-0, we played a lot of kids, if not all .  There was no conversation of, lets run this play to get another TD, we told our kids to execute and play hard until the 48th minute is up. It was 63 at half I believe, and we started with our varsity both side of the ball coming out of half.  Our 3rd string WB went to the house.  Combo frosh/JV scored in the 4th.  

Clearly you both have dug heels in here, it is what it is, maybe you should petition the Ihsaa to stop the quarters rule and had mandatory running clocks, let me know how that goes, as it seems your both very passionate about getting these policies changed.  

Shoot somebody once....maybe an accident. Shoot 10 different people.....well....maybe ya' just like shooting people.

Best post on this thread.

Best post on this thread.

New Pal is state championship caliber team again in 2015:   You play who you play in your conference:  there looks to be some serious mismatches, again how do you fault a team like New Pal for running there system and executing it well??   

http://indianahsfootball.homestead.com/files/conf12.htm

Where is the outrage here:  Gibson Southern

http://indianahsfootball.homestead.com/files/logs104.htm

North Vermillion last year and their state title team vs the rest of their conference

How can you both RebelDad be able to make these assumptions about New Pal's intent when you have ZERO connections and just go by final score. Assuming an awful lot about a program you have not taken the time to know, and a coach you have not taken the time to listen to clinic, speak, and work. Just going by the final score and start throwing accusations of unsportsmanlike conduct, when there was none.

We literally went thru the same scenario lsat year vs Tipton. They knew we had no ill intent on the final score, we ran Power and WB counter, our 2 base plays out of our offense the entire 4th quarter. Sometimes games like that happen. It would up 77-0, we played a lot of kids, if not all . There was no conversation of, lets run this play to get another TD, we told our kids to execute and play hard until the 48th minute is up. It was 63 at half I believe, and we started with our varsity both side of the ball coming out of half. Our 3rd string WB went to the house. Combo frosh/JV scored in the 4th.

Clearly you both have dug heels in here, it is what it is, maybe you should petition the Ihsaa to stop the quarters rule and had mandatory running clocks, let me know how that goes, as it seems your both very passionate about getting these policies changed.

Woah, wow. Putting words in my mouth eh? I'm on record on this very thread multiple times stating the exact opposite. Final score is hardly indicative of running up the score. You know what is indicative of running up the score? Letting your all-state QB run for multiple TDs in the third quarter of a 60 point game.

Look I appreciate all you do for the GID, and if it weren't for generous guys like you this website wouldn't be around. But please don't put words in my mouth like that. I call a spade a spade and playing your starters well into the third quarter with a 60 point lead is a spade in my book.

Woah, wow. Putting words in my mouth eh? I'm on record on this very thread multiple times stating the exact opposite. Final score is hardly indicative of running up the score. You know what is indicative of running up the score? Letting your all-state QB run for multiple TDs in the third quarter of a 60 point game.

Look I appreciate all you do for the GID, and if it weren't for generous guys like you this website wouldn't be around. But please don't put words in my mouth like that. I call a spade a spade and playing your starters well into the third quarter with a 60 point lead is a spade in my book.

Fair:   Fixed

How can you both RebelDAD able to make these assumptions about New Pal's intent when you have ZERO connections and just go by final score.  Assuming an awful lot about a program you have not taken the time to know, and a coach you have not taken the time to listen to clinic, speak, and work.  Just going by the final score and start throwing accusations of unsportsmanlike conduct, when there was none.  

We literally went thru the same scenario lsat year vs Tipton.  They knew we had no ill intent on the final score, we ran Power and WB counter, our 2 base plays out of our offense the entire 4th quarter.   Sometimes games like that happen.  It would up 77-0, we played a lot of kids, if not all .  There was no conversation of, lets run this play to get another TD, we told our kids to execute and play hard until the 48th minute is up. It was 63 at half I believe, and we started with our varsity both side of the ball coming out of half.  Our 3rd string WB went to the house.  Combo frosh/JV scored in the 4th.  

I have never gone by the final score.  I go by the box score and I was at (4) of their games last year.   Having your starters in up 70 points late in the 3rd quarter and then throwing the ball with reserves in the 4th quarter is unsportsmanlike in my book.  You just read a different book.   Let's see if they can get 100 against Greenfield-Central or New Castle.  

Shoot somebody once....maybe an accident. Shoot 10 different people.....well....maybe ya' just like shooting people.

Second this being the best quote on the topic!

Saw the Chatard Freshmen beat the Cathedral Freshmen.  Roncalli Freshmen lost to the Irish 13-7.  Should be a great game to end the year.   Chatard Freshmen QB looked pretty good last year as an 8th grader.

Edited by Rebeldad

Let's see if they can get 100 against Greenfield-Central or New Castle.  

They won't, they haven't and they are not going to.   A bit of hyperbole there tonight from one of our long timers I see.  

In my experience, fans and parents get fired up about this......

Coaches and players, not so much.

Running up the score is not determined by the actual amount of points one scores, but the intention behind the points once a game is secure.

If you are simply running your offense, working back ups, working on skills you will need later, etc., then you are good.

If your intention is to score another touchdown for margin, embarrassing the opponent, or other things that have nothing to do with winning the game or getting better, then that is running up the score.

I have been a part of 70 point games (both sides) that had nothing to do with running up the score.

I have been on the receiving end of 28-0 games where a late score was tacked on for no reason other than poor sportsmanship.

Honestly, most men in this profession have high levels of honor, and while one can throw stones at them all one wants, that fact doesn't change.

You see, I feel like this is the absolute best quote of this thread.   

Rebeldad, if you're going to post, we need to bring your old avatar back.

I forget, which one were you?

Roncalli_High_School_@28Indiana@29.png

roncalli-in.gif

Just my two cents upon stumbling onto this thread.  We played a Triton Central team in the late 90s and got all sorts of flack for winning 98-24 or something like that.  We were doing everything not to score those final points (I remember a freshman defensive linemen picked up a fumble and returned it for a 85 yd score).  We were definitely not trying to score as many point as possible, but you can't tell the freshman kids to not try.  They spend the latter weeks getting pounded by the upperclassmen being on scout team and get 1 quarter and maybe only 1 or 2 plays to actually get some real playing time. I understand it is embarrassing to be on the receiving end of a score like that, but the kids are gonna play if you put them in and unless you instruct them to take a knee (which IMO feels worse for the team getting beat), then points can still be scored. 

The fact of the matter remains this keeps coming up in regards to New Pal year after year. Yes circumstances happen when sometimes the score gets outta hand with no "ill-intent"..(fumbles, short fields, long plays, etc...) BUT, when you are constantly putting up 80 on your opponents, maybe a look inward with a little humility wouldn't hurt. I've been around/coached the game for a long time. I remember some Bob Clayton coached teams that could of put up a 100 if they wanted to...but you'd never see a Hall of Fame coach do that. 

Coach Nowlin, we need to hang out sometime!  When I visit family up in Rensy, I need to find you and shake your hand.  It's much appreciated that you try to educate people on such a misunderstood topic, despite all the hate and negativity you receive from it.  I've coached JV/Frosh teams for 7 years total now and I have nothing but respect for the efforts you have put into the development of your program.  Good luck to the Bombers the rest of the season! 

I'm not in your position because I'm not a coach, but in all seriousness, if you were scheduled to play LCC's JV team and the LCC JV coach called you up following the varsity game saying, "Look, we were up 60-0 at half against Benton Central, we had to use our JV guys early in order to keep the score down". Would you reply, "well that's against IHSAA rule, I'm calling the commissioner" knowing the game could be cancelled, or do you say, "hey I get it, your JV needs reps, my JV needs reps, it's about developing our younger guys, I'll see you on the field Tuesday". Does one of those answers sound more appropriate and feasible than the other?

96-0. Never forget.

Every coach should have an opportunity to coach a team that didn't win a game or a team that struggles mightily. You become very knowledgeable on perspective and view a game like New Pal/Pendleton Heights through a different lens. Every coach, at any level, myself included has an ego. It's how you manage that ego whether your're up 40 or down 40 that the kids you coach pick up on. Having been on the wrong side of this on numerous occasions over the years, I was a better coach for having been through it. It gave me a much better perspective when I was on the good side of this equation.

There have been many good points made in this thread. I happen to believe the quarter rule to be a joke....that being said its still a rule. Albeit it one where common sense should prevail. Leaving common sense up to coaches egos is where the line gets blurred...which is probably why they have the rule!

While I'm not a fan of New Pal's scores, I respect what their program has done over the last several years and believe they're the real deal. Not having been at the game I'm guessing that the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the arguments being made.

I have been on both sides of it, and if you don't like it get better.  The only team that has the job of stopping you form scoring is your opponent.  It is not a fun situation, but it is definitely a situation that can have extremely valuable character enhancing lessons if handled appropriately...and that is the job of the coaches.  Whining and complaining about it definitely does not help, even if one side of the question handled it poorly.  Don't be a victim of circumstance.  I would say this thread definitely represents a problem in our society, our inability (especially among our youth) to cope with problems, issues, and just life.

Edited by LilUrb

Coach Nowlin, we need to hang out sometime!  When I visit family up in Rensy, I need to find you and shake your hand.  It's much appreciated that you try to educate people on such a misunderstood topic, despite all the hate and negativity you receive from it.  I've coached JV/Frosh teams for 7 years total now and I have nothing but respect for the efforts you have put into the development of your program.  Good luck to the Bombers the rest of the season! 

1st Wagonmaster on me!!!  Thanks Coach!!  

Just give this team the state title already haha

I am of the opinion (and I may be the only one)  that you can tell running up the score as much or more on defense and special teams.  Were they blitzing and stunting with the starters in the 3rd?  Were they trying to block punts or return them? 

NP QB Neligh had 200 rushing yards and 3 TD in the game. 

Rushing # Athlete Name Car Yds Avg Lng TD   Team Totals 32 565 17.7 75 9 11 Alex Neligh (Sr) 13 200 15.4 55 3 14 Zach Neligh (Fr) 1 5 5.0 5   19 Gunnar Large (Jr) 1 13 13.0 13 1 34 Luke Ely (Fr) 5 137 27.4 75 2 7 Adam Kincaid (Jr) 2 41 20.5 28   9 Nick Brickens (Sr) 10 169 16.9 64 3 Edited by Irish Line Momma

Just curious what yards has to do with it.

Footballking after reading your other post in the quarters thread I am glad you can at least understand that the quarters reason is valid. You may not agree with it but as coaches and others have shared it is legitimate. I can guarantee you those coaches who don't have the numbers like Cathedral wish they did. It make their lives a lot easier and less stressful.

Just give this team the state title already haha

It isn't about giving it to them, they will take it.

Just curious what yards has to do with it.

Footballking after reading your other post in the quarters thread I am glad you can at least understand that the quarters reason is valid. You may not agree with it but as coaches and others have shared it is legitimate. I can guarantee you those coaches who don't have the numbers like Cathedral wish they did. It make their lives a lot easier and less stressful.

You are obviously winning the game, why was your QB running up the score and keeping the ball?  He has more rushing yards that any New Pal RB.  Just curious.