Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 22/23 Geography

Sorry if I am late to the party as I pay more attention to 5A/6A Football but I was just killing some time in perusing  some of the sectional assignments and had to do a quick double take when I saw the geography of the teams listed in sectionals 22 and 23...

Roncalli to WESTERN or FRANKFORT???

Mooresville to SILVER CREEK, MADISON or EAST CENTRAL!

Obviously Brazil to Evansville is nuts but you really don’t have a choice there...

Seems asinine for sectional contests!

Are these the most extreme out there or are there some that are worse?

Edited by Guest

Granted we're in 1A but the last 2 years we were in a sectional where Clinton Prairie (almost Lafayette) and Union City (pretty much Ohio) played each other. That's a haul. The IHSAA gerrymander's a bit I'm sure because just looking at the map, they don't do it the easy way.

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Sorry if I am late to the party as I pay more attention to 5A/6A Football but I was just killing some time in perusing  some of the sectional assignments and had to do a quick double take when I saw the geography of the teams listed in sectionals 22 and 23...

Obviously Brazil to Evansville is nuts but you really don’t have a choice there...

I think it's a 4A problem in general.  There's nowhere close to 1/2 the teams being in the "South."  Last year Marion played in Evansville for the Semi-State.  The same thing could happen this year as Muncie Central is in Sectional 21 and could end up playing in Evansville (or an Evansville team could go to Muncie) for a semi-state.

Just bizarre geography there.

16 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think it's a 4A problem in general.  There's nowhere close to 1/2 the teams being in the "South."  Last year Marion played in Evansville for the Semi-State.  The same thing could happen this year as Muncie Central is in Sectional 21 and could end up playing in Evansville (or an Evansville team could go to Muncie) for a semi-state.

Just bizarre geography there.

New Pal’a bump to 5A playing a factor I assume?  Traveling to those sectional 23 sites is slightly less asinine if the team is coming from the eastern Indy suburbs I guess...

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

New Pal’a bump to 5A playing a factor I assume?  Traveling to those sectional 23 sites is slightly less asinine if the team is coming from the eastern Indy suburbs I guess...

It’s generally a geography problem but there is the added problem of the historic weakness of the true 5A teams (with the exception of Snider and a Westfield team that was effectively 6A in size when it won 5A) that are unable to send 4A interlopers “back” to 4A.   

New Pal, Cathedral,  Columbus East, Dwenger, Roncalli (for a couple of years).....all are 4A teams that are either currently playing up or have recently played up.

5A has been a playground for the best 4A teams to basically dominate.  Once they leave 4A, they rarely come back home which has also greatly weakened the upper end of 4A which used to be the best class “pound for pound” (couldn’t resist that phrase).  That said, I saw that coming when the IHSAA announced the whole formation of 5A.  The dominance of “true” 4A teams in 5A was to be expected.

4 hours ago, Temptation said:

How would you have had it done?

Just eyeballing both 4A and 5A it looks like roughly 1/3 of the teams are located within Indy or South of Indy with the other 2/3s located North of Indy.

It’s problematic in both those classes.....which have effectively exchanged teams when the 4A teams move up.  

Edited by Lysander

1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

How would you have had it done?

You are right. Now having looked at it there’s really no other possibilities other than possibly sending Greenwood or Mooresville to sectional 22 with Roncalli.

You definitely are not sending any of them to Evansville.

22 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Some schools are 15 minutes away while others can be hours, just the way the cookie crumbles.  I recall having to go a long way for games, so we can’t say this a new issue.

As Papa Gipper said, “No one gets all the cards”.