Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Washington Dealt Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty For Attempted Camouflage

Muda69

Question

https://deadspin.com/washington-dealt-unsportsmanlike-conduct-penalty-for-at-1839196360

No. 25 Washington tried something a little bit too cool at home against No. 12 Oregon Saturday afternoon. On a kickoff return after Oregon scored, Washington stashed purple-clad wide receiver Chico McClatcher in the end zone, where he laid down on the field in an attempt to blend in with the purple turf. (I, too, would do this if I found myself in a football game.) With McClatcher behind the ball, he was able to receive a pass from teammate Aaron Fuller, and had room to run to midfield. (I would not do this second part.) 

Sadly, since this kind of neato deception is not allowed, the gain was wiped away and the referees gave McClatcher a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. 

Curious, is this also a current rule in the high school game?

21 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

In pregame when the R asks you if you have any unusual plays or anything the officials need to be aware of, that would be a good time to mention this. This clearly makes a mockery of the game in my opinion. 

?  I thought deception/fakes/etc. were part of the game of football?

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

?  I thought deception/fakes/etc. were part of the game of football?

It is but this is not in that context. I don't believe the NFHS rules specifically ban this act, but I would hope a crew would use travesty of the game to penalize this. The unsportsmanlike conduct rule has a list of automatics, but it's not all inclusive. Same with the NCAA rule, but this pops every couple years so the D1 officials (only place this seems to happen) have been told to flag this if they see it. The coaches should know also.

16 hours ago, JustRules said:

It is but this is not in that context. I don't believe the NFHS rules specifically ban this act, but I would hope a crew would use travesty of the game to penalize this. The unsportsmanlike conduct rule has a list of automatics, but it's not all inclusive. Same with the NCAA rule, but this pops every couple years so the D1 officials (only place this seems to happen) have been told to flag this if they see it. The coaches should know also.

Please expound on this apparent "travesty of the game" rule.  I have never heard of it.

9-9-5

ART. 1 . . . A player or nonplayer or person(s) not subject to the rules shall not hinder play by an unfair act which has no specific rule coverage.

ART. 2 . . . No team shall repeatedly commit fouls which halve the distance to the goal line.

ART. 3 . . . No player shall hide the ball under a jersey.

ART. 4 . . . No player shall use a kicking tee in violation of Rule 1-3-4.

ART. 5 . . . Neither team shall commit any act which, in the opinion of the referee, tends to make a travesty of the game.

PENALTY: Arts. 1, 2, 5 – Unfair act – (S27) – the referee enforces any penalty he/she considers equitable, including the award of a score; Art. 2 – Repeated fouls – the game may be forfeited; Art. 3 – Hiding the ball under a jersey – (S27-23) – 15 yards basic spot; Art. 4 – Using illegal kicking tee (S27) – 15 yards basic spot.

NOTE: The penalties in Rules 9-9-3 and 9-9-4 are not charged to the coach or player
for the purpose of unsportsmanlike conduct disqualifications.

25 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

9-9-5

ART. 5 . . . Neither team shall commit any act which, in the opinion of the referee, tends to make a travesty of the game.

PENALTY: Arts. 1, 2, 5 – Unfair act – (S27) – the referee enforces any penalty he/she considers equitable, including the award of a score; Art. 2 – Repeated fouls – the game may be forfeited; Art. 3 – Hiding the ball under a jersey – (S27-23) – 15 yards basic spot; Art. 4 – Using illegal kicking tee (S27) – 15 yards basic spot.

NOTE: The penalties in Rules 9-9-3 and 9-9-4 are not charged to the coach or player
for the purpose of unsportsmanlike conduct disqualifications.

That's open to a pretty wide interpretation.

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

That's open to a pretty wide interpretation.

It would be used very very rarely, but this would be a good example. Another one is the person on the bench who runs on to the field and tackles a runner who is clearly going to score. The foul itself is illegal participation and it would be enforced 15 yards from the end of the run by rule. But if you consider that to be a travesty you could award a score using this rule.

Again, this rule is used very very rarely. I've never seen it used in any game I've worked or even considered it. But it does exist if you have something truly crazy happen.

25 minutes ago, JustRules said:

It would be used very very rarely, but this would be a good example. Another one is the person on the bench who runs on to the field and tackles a runner who is clearly going to score. The foul itself is illegal participation and it would be enforced 15 yards from the end of the run by rule. But if you consider that to be a travesty you could award a score using this rule.

Again, this rule is used very very rarely. I've never seen it used in any game I've worked or even considered it. But it does exist if you have something truly crazy happen.

In my 37 years, I've seen it invoked one time, oddly enough the first year I officiated, and deservedly so I might add. I have not worked a game for the school since, and I scratch them every year in the tournament. 

6 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

9-9-5

ART. 2 . . . No team shall repeatedly commit fouls which halve the distance to the goal line.

Curious how this gets enforced, if it's clear the repeated fouls are intentional. Warnings/ejections or can you simply award a TD (or safety, depending on the circumstances)? 

1 minute ago, crimsonace1 said:

That's a bit more severe, but a good deterrent. 

We saw this in the game posted earlier in the season with the game in Columbus, OH after multiple USC's and a player head butting an official. It is very rare, but it is a trump card in the officials' tool box to administer the game. I'm sure all of us are perfectly happy to complete our career's never having to play this trump card. 

• Thanks 1