Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen - Most Overrated College Coaches

Guest DT

We are seeing some spectacular coaching failures playing out before our eyes this season, as salaries continue to skyrocket for major college head football coaches.  I think we will start to see a movement back down in salaries as there are so many failures to evaluate and consider before the next round of admins take the plunge and hire a new HC.

In no particular order :

Chip Kelly - UCLA / Zero success since leaving Oregon.  Smug and arrogant.  This may be his last chance.

Tom Herman - Texas / Hailed as the next great UT HC.  Supposedly a great offensive mind.  bet Ohio State is glad they let him go.  herman has a middling offense in the wide open B12 and a crap defense.  Heading towards the hot seat soon.

Kevin Sumlin - Arizona / Rode Johnny Manziel's coattails to glory at Texas A&M and been all downhill since.

Justin Fuente - Va Tech / Won with Frank Beamers players and now struggling with his own.

Charlie Strong - South Florida - / Milking the affirmative action opportunity for all it can deliver

Chad Morris - Arkansas / another Texas whizkid who took big razorback money and is not delivering.  They are alrewady trying to run him out in season 2

Mike Locksley - maryland / How did he get another chance after the New mexico State disaster?  This will end badly in Maryland.  

Bret Bielema - Arkansas / Hogs just cant get it right.  Bring back Lou Holtz.  Bielema and his hot wife partied for 3 years in Arky and he ignored his coaching and recruiting responsibilities.

Darrell Hazell - Purdue / Worst D1 hire of all time.  End of story.

Mel Tucker - Colorado / Got a very bad feeling about this one.  

Solid list, but hard to say that Hazell was the worst hire of all time. Michigan fans will claim RichRod was. Irish fans will claim Gerry Faust was. Ohio State fans will likely say Earl Bruce was. Tennessee can claim Lane Kiffin. I am sure a LOT of programs can put up a name to claim that spot, and not be far off. Even IU can claim Bill Lynch was the worst hire of all time. 

• Like 1

#11   Willie Taggart - Florida State / Unmitigated disaster, despite the fact that Jimbo left him nothing to work with.

#12   Jimbo Fisher - / Tex A&M / a used car salesman.  Hornswoggled the A&M brass into 75M contract.  One of the all time boondoggles.  

28 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Solid list, but hard to say that Hazell was the worst hire of all time. Michigan fans will claim RichRod was. Irish fans will claim Gerry Faust was. Ohio State fans will likely say Earl Bruce was. Tennessee can claim Lane Kiffin. I am sure a LOT of programs can put up a name to claim that spot, and not be far off. Even IU can claim Bill Lynch was the worst hire of all time. 

Purdue was in worst shape after Hazell left than any of those other programs, relative to their normal standards.  Hazell was LAST in BIG recruiting every year he was in WL.  How can somebody be that bad?  

Edited by DT

47 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Gerry DiNardo at IU also didn't pay many dividends...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Gerry DiNardo at IU also didn't pay many dividends...

I like DiNardo.  They ran him out way too fast.  It might have been a culture clash.  he is very New York-New Jersey.  Not a good fit with southern Indiana

The complete lack of talent across Purdue's older players is a direct result of Hazell's record breaking abysmal recruiting classes at the end of his run. His hire was a complete and utter failure on the part of Morgan Burke, who drove the football program into a massive hole.

A good friend of mine once taught at an MIC school and routinely spoke with the Head Ball Coach, who is well respected among GID following. Anyways, when the topic of Hazel recruiting that schools players was brought up, the HC seemed skeptical of Purdue landing his players and referred to Hazell as one weird dude. I thought that was an interesting tid-bit regarding a coach who routinely relied on poaching MAC commits as recruiting "wins."

1 hour ago, DT said:

Heard Urban Meyer's name linked to Florida State today.  

That would be idiotic. USC or bust for Meyer. Why compete with the SEC/Clemson/Miami for Elite recruits as well as a well oiled Clemson machine for ACC Titles when you can control the Cali recruiting scene with USC and not have overwhelming Pac-12 threats to overcome. I would bet he could compete with Oregon/Washington/Utah for a Pac-12 Title within year 2 in Troy.

Just now, Boilernation said:

That would be idiotic. USC or bust for Meyer. Why compete with the SEC/Clemson/Miami for Elite recruits as well as a well oiled Clemson machine for ACC Titles when you can control the Cali recruiting scene with USC and not have overwhelming Pac-12 threats to overcome. I would bet he could compete with Oregon/Washington/Utah for a Pac-12 Title within year 2 in Troy.

Urban is very at home in Florida.  California is a very far away and remote land.  He has no experience out there.  FSU is a huge brand.  As big or bigger than SC.  

1 hour ago, DT said:

Urban is very at home in Florida.  California is a very far away and remote land.  He has no experience out there.  FSU is a huge brand.  As big or bigger than SC.  

Utah?

4 hours ago, DT said:

I like DiNardo.  They ran him out way too fast.  It might have been a culture clash.  he is very New York-New Jersey.  Not a good fit with southern Indiana

I always felt the same way. I'm just going off of memory, but didn't he have a lot of close games against top tier opponents his last year at IU? I felt like he was a year away from making IU football a proud program, and the pulled the plug on him. I was baffled to say the least. 

2 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Utah?

Kyle Willingham is rock solid at Utah, and Urban has great respect for him.  He would never go after his job.  FSU seems like an almost perfect fit.  They need to make a big splash.  Too many distractions in LA.  USC is not nearly as good a job as most say it is.  And the ACC is a cakewalk after Clemson.  Dabo will probably go to Alabama when Saban retires.  Clemson will slip and FSU will rise.  

Edited by DT

7 minutes ago, Gipper said:

One thing that must be understood about Coach Meyer is the cyst on his brain.  His health and well-being must supersede any potential moves.  Football has to take a backseat here. 

I think Urban is very embarrassed and upset about the way his career ended at Ohio State.  Deep down, he wants to go out on top.  Ride off into the sunset with another championship.

First and foremost, he is a program builder.  Ohio State is fully built and now in maintenance mode.  FSU needs a total rebuild, mostly from the inside with homegrown Florida talent.

He has access to world class medical care and whatever he could possibly need for his health.  He looks like a guy who is waiting for the right opportunity.  

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

What a moronic thing to say.  I expected nothing less, though.

I have much deeper insight than you Gip.  You often fail to see the obvious, you use incorrect words to try and make your points, and you have poor grammar.

Meyer is on record saying he is open to NFL opportunities.  Its fair to assume that select college positions might also be of interest.

I will never engage in an argument with you, because you are not my intellectual equal.

You’re afraid to engage in an argument with me because you’re too arrogant to admit you’re wrong sometimes.  I’m not always right, I understand that.  I use bad grammar, like I’m the only one?  Do us all a favor and get over yourself.

Gipper out, I have better things to do.

Edited by Gipper

8 hours ago, DT said:

#11   Willie Taggart - Florida State / Unmitigated disaster, despite the fact that Jimbo left him nothing to work with.

#12   Jimbo Fisher - / Tex A&M / a used car salesman.  Hornswoggled the A&M brass into 75M contract.  One of the all time boondoggles.  

Purdue was in worst shape after Hazell left than any of those other programs, relative to their normal standards.  Hazell was LAST in BIG recruiting every year he was in WL.  How can somebody be that bad?  

Hazell wasn't as bad as his record was because AD Morgan Burke had the program on a shoestring budget. He had made the comment before that football was a "$5 million" opportunity. He chased off Tiller and didn't give Hope much help either.

Purdue had horribly outdated facilities and didn't even have stadium lights for night games. They were literally decades behind the times. They also had probably the lowest assistant coach budget in the conference and hired a former Nebraska LB coach who was an assistant high school coach to be the DC at one point.

I'm not saying that Hazell would have been Bill Belichick or anything, but he would have st least won a few more games. Hazell wasn't allowed to bring his own staff from Kent State and was forced to use Shoop as his OC, probably the worst OC in the history of the Chicago Bears. I'm also going to guess that his recruiting budget didn't amount to much, either.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Kyle Willingham is rock solid at Utah, and Urban has great respect for him.  He would never go after his job.  FSU seems like an almost perfect fit.  They need to make a big splash.  Too many distractions in LA.  USC is not nearly as good a job as most say it is.  And the ACC is a cakewalk after Clemson.  Dabo will probably go to Alabama when Saban retires.  Clemson will slip and FSU will rise.  

No. I’m not saying KW is going anywhere. I’m saying I would bet Meyer had California connections while he was at Utah. 

2 minutes ago, AG said:

Hazell wasn't as bad as his record was because AD Morgan Burke had the program on a shoestring budget. He had made the comment before that football was a "$5 million" opportunity. He chased off Tiller and didn't give Hope much help either.

Purdue had horribly outdated facilities and didn't even have stadium lights for night games. They were literally decades behind the times. They also had probably the lowest assistant coach budget in the conference and hired a former Nebraska LB coach who was an assistant high school coach to be the DC at one point.

I'm not saying that Hazell would have been Bill Belichick or anything, but he would have st least won a few more games. Hazell wasn't allowed to bring his own staff from Kent State and was forced to use Shoop as his OC, probably the worst OC in the history of the Chicago Bears. I'm also going to guess that his recruiting budget didn't amount to much, either.

Did anyone force Hazell to take that job and the millions that came with it?

3 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

No. I’m not saying KW is going anywhere. I’m saying I would bet Meyer had California connections while he was at Utah. 

He was only at Utah for a very brief time.  Two seasons.  basically one full recruiting cycle.  Wasnt there long enough to get established with the high school coaches in Utah let alone CA.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/urban-meyer-1.html

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Did anyone force Hazell to take that job and the millions that came with it?

He was only at Utah for a very brief time.  Two seasons.  basically one full recruiting cycle.  Wasnt there long enough to get established with the high school coaches in Utah let alone CA.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/urban-meyer-1.html

Meyer has always had tremendous assistant coaches. I’m sure he would be just fine recruiting California.