Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen - Most Overrated College Coaches

Guest DT

Just now, DT said:

Did anyone force Hazell to take that job and the millions that came with it?

It was a step up from Kent State and any of us would have done the same thing. I'm just not big on talking bad about Hazell because he was classy and he actually tried. He's not a terrible football coach, which is evident because he was immediately hired as an NFL position coach. I believe that he was set up for failure from the start and his style wasn't s good fit for the program. Programs like Purdue often have success with gimmicky pass heavy offenses or option type offenses. Unfortunately Hazell was from the Meyer coaching tree and tried to play like OSU at Purdue.

• Thanks 1

Real estate, Property and income taxes are too high in CA.  Housing prices ridiculous.

No state income tax in Florida and cheap prop taxes.  Yes, Meyer is a mega millionaire.  But he is no dummy and wont thru his hard earned cash away.

Florida State is the better opportunity.  West coast football is becoming increasingly marginalized and less vital relative to the national scene.  Nobody watches the games due to the time difference.  There are very few great coaches out west anymore.  Its become a graveyard for coaching has beens.  Rich Rod.  Chip Kelly.  Kevin Sumlin.  Herm Edwards.  

Edited by DT

5 minutes ago, AG said:

It was a step up from Kent State and any of us would have done the same thing. I'm just not big on talking bad about Hazell because he was classy and he actually tried. He's not a terrible football coach, which is evident because he was immediately hired as an NFL position coach. I believe that he was set up for failure from the start and his style wasn't s good fit for the program. Programs like Purdue often have success with gimmicky pass heavy offenses or option type offenses. Unfortunately Hazell was from the Meyer coaching tree and tried to play like OSU at Purdue.

The new guy is not doing so great either.

Did anyone ever tell Brohm that an offensive line is essential relative to protecting the QB?  For $6M per, I thought he might have known that.  

You build a team from the inside out out.  1. Offensive and defensive Linemen  2.  QB, LBs and RBs.  3. Receivers and Dbacks.

He did it the exact opposite way and is paying the price.  

40 minutes ago, DT said:

The new guy is not doing so great either.

Did anyone ever tell Brohm that an offensive line is essential relative to protecting the QB?  For $6M per, I thought he might have known that.  

You build a team from the inside out out.  1. Offensive and defensive Linemen  2.  QB, LBs and RBs.  3. Receivers and Dbacks.

He did it the exact opposite way and is paying the price.  

You're wrong. Brohm didnt recruit these seniors, and only recruited a handful of the juniors. THESE ARE HAZELL RECRUITS. Brohm has actually signed quite a few promising OL. The only problem is that THEY'RE ALL FRESHMEN. Stop with your hot takes on a team that you know barely anything about and go do some research.

2 minutes ago, AG said:

You're wrong. Brohm didnt recruit these seniors, and only recruited a handful of the juniors. THESE ARE HAZELL RECRUITS. Brohm has actually signed quite a few promising OL. The only problem is that THEY'RE ALL FRESHMEN. Stop with your hot takes on a team that you know barely anything about and go do some research.

I have stated previously that in today's game, most coaches who are rebuilding will do a short tern competitive fix by bringing in JCs and transfers.  The majority of these players tend to be linemen, who are still holding out hope for a career in the NFL.  Brohm chose not to go this route, and not only has it made his team less competitive, it is also making them much more susceptible to injury as the Boilers our outphysicalled every week.  I keep hearing how this team is injured.  Brohm left them susceptible to injury by not providing the protection that skill players need.  18 and 19 year olds always get mauled by 22 and 23 year olds.  Just ask Paul Chryst.  When do you ever see a freshman on his offensive line?  

2 minutes ago, DT said:

I have stated previously that in today's game, most coaches who are rebuilding will do a short tern competitive fix by bringing in JCs and transfers.  The majority of these players tend to be linemen, who are still holding out hope for a career in the NFL.  Brohm chose not to go this route, and not only has it made his team less competitive, it is also making them much more susceptible to injury as the Boilers our outphysicalled every week.  I keep hearing how this team is injured.  Brohm left them susceptible to injury by not providing the protection that skill players need.  18 and 19 year olds always get mauled by 22 and 23 year olds.  Just ask Paul Chryst.  When do you ever see a freshman on his offensive line?  

Brohm signed two OL grad transfers in his first year, one from Rhode Island and another from Northern Illinois. Both were solid starters and sniffed the NFL as UDFA. He then signed another OL from Western Kentucky last year and he was a starter as well. Unfortunately they all graduated and he struck out on securing any OL grad transfers this past year. He had one, but that player changed his mind at the last second. Purdue also had a projected starting OL retire during the offseason.

Brohm knows that his OL was going to struggle and he tried to correct it. He tried and failed. Don't forget to invite me to your team building seminar.

Also, during Brohm's first year he brought in approximately 10 grad transfers and JUCOs.

Edited by AG
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AG said:

Brohm signed two OL grad transfers in his first year, one from Rhode Island and another from Northern Illinois. Both were solid starters and sniffed the NFL as UDFA. He then signed another OL from Western Kentucky last year and he was a starter as well. Unfortunately they all graduated and he struck out on securing any OL grad transfers this past year. He had one, but that player changed his mind at the last second. Purdue also had a projected starting OL retire during the offseason.

Brohm knows that his OL was going to struggle and he tried to correct it. He tried and failed. Don't forget to invite me to your team building seminar.

Also, during Brohm's first year he brought in approximately 10 grad transfers and JUCOs.

PU is 2-6.  The team is in disarray.  Injuries are rampant.  White and likely Brohm will both be in the NFL very soon, as will Big George.

Purdue may have already hit its high point under Brohm.  I believe they probably have.  

7 minutes ago, DT said:

PU is 2-6.  The team is in disarray.  Injuries are rampant.  White and likely Brohm will both be in the NFL very soon, as will Big George.

Purdue may have already hit its high point under Brohm.  I believe they probably have.  

Who is White? 

You and I couldn't be in more disagreement right now. Why would an NFL team hire a 2-4 win coach?

4 minutes ago, AG said:

Who is White? 

You and I couldn't be in more disagreement right now. Why would an NFL team hire a 2-4 win coach?

Brohm will be hired into the NFL not based on his coaching record, but on his offensive acumen.  he has been in some tough places to win.  NFL execs know and understand that.  brohm is a QB whisperer.  That is the most valuable commodity in NFL coaching these days.  Matt Nagy is supposedly a QB whisperer.  As is Kliff Kingsbury.  And many of the other young coaches in the league.  Brohm matches up very well with all of them, given his vast playing and coaching experience.  

Sorry, I meant Rondale Moore.  

Edited by DT

8 hours ago, DT said:

Brohm will be hired into the NFL not based on his coaching record, but on his offensive acumen.  he has been in some tough places to win.  NFL execs know and understand that.  brohm is a QB whisperer.  That is the most valuable commodity in NFL coaching these days.  Matt Nagy is supposedly a QB whisperer.  As is Kliff Kingsbury.  And many of the other young coaches in the league.  Brohm matches up very well with all of them, given his vast playing and coaching experience.  

Sorry, I meant Rondale Moore.  

If Kliff Kingsbury can get a job in the NFL so can Brohm

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

If Kliff Kingsbury can get a job in the NFL so can Brohm

Kingsbury was a great player at TT and he had a good start to his HC career.   He did what most wunderkind offensi 've minds do - ignore the defense

Mike Gundy has the perfect coaching model for the Big 12.  He keeps up with all the new offensive trends but always has excellent athletes and talent on defense.  

Broom is just in wait mode right now.  He will give PU 100% effort but he will be gone to the NFL or a high level P5 job soon

IU has no worries about that with Allen.  I think we have finally found our new Bill Mallory.  

Edited by DT

22 minutes ago, DT said:

Kingsbury was a great player at TT and he had a good start to his HC career.   He did what most wunderkind offensi 've minds do - ignore the defense

Mike Gundy has the perfect coaching model for the Big 12.  He keeps up with all the new offensive trends but always has excellent athletes and talent on defense.  

Brohm is just in wait mode right now.  He will give PU 100% effort but he will be gone to the NFL or a high level P5 job soon

IU has no worries about that with Allen.  I think we have finally found our new Bill Mallory.  

9 hours ago, AG said:

Good stuff, keep it coming.  It's essential to point out that all programs, be it Alabama or even Prairie View A & M, have what we mere mortals call rebuilding seasons.  While I do submit that Purdue has had more than its fair share of injuries, it is not a program in disarray.  Rebuilding a program takes time, it is not an overnight occurrence.  Different schemes must be looked at and players should be scrutinized to find their best fit.  BTW, my preponderance of grammatical errors has been elevated.  To which I say, so what?  Like Facebook, I play fast and loose with what I enter and if that's too much for you too handle, that's just too damn bad.  I'm a very stubborn German and won't change for anybody.

18 hours ago, DT said:

USC is not nearly as good a job as most say it is. 

I disagree. California is a top 5 recruiting ground and USC is the "it" program, especially to So Cal kids. I would wager Washington and Oregon's recruiting sucesses in Cali wouldn't come to an end, but would suffer if Meyer was leading USC. Plus, like Ohio State, USC can recruit nationally. The Chargers are failing miserably in LA while the Rams have a decent following, but USC will always be LA's football team. 

16 hours ago, DT said:

West coast football is becoming increasingly marginalized and less vital relative to the national scene.  Nobody watches the games due to the time difference.  There are very few great coaches out west anymore.  Its become a graveyard for coaching has beens.  Rich Rod.  Chip Kelly.  Kevin Sumlin.  Herm Edwards.  

You could have said the same thing when Pete took over at USC. The then Pac-10 was awful. Meyer has the same opportunity for a quick turnaround at USC. At FSU, it's going to take anyone a while to catch up, if possible, to the machine Sweeney has built in Clemson. 

So, the topic is a dozen, but only ten on the list. I would add that Jimbo Fisher fits well on this list. The notion of Meyer to FSU is basically because Fisher ran the program into the mess it is in now. Any coach that comes in will have an even tougher job. Central Florida is a popular program among the Florida kids lately....maybe even more so that Miami and Florida? I know Florida has had a solid year, but they struggled for a number of years here recently. Even South Florida is getting some decent recruits in State. 

On 10/28/2019 at 10:30 PM, DT said:

Real estate, Property and income taxes are too high in CA.  Housing prices ridiculous.

No state income tax in Florida and cheap prop taxes.  Yes, Meyer is a mega millionaire.  But he is no dummy and wont thru his hard earned cash away.

Florida State is the better opportunity.  West coast football is becoming increasingly marginalized and less vital relative to the national scene.  Nobody watches the games due to the time difference.  There are very few great coaches out west anymore.  Its become a graveyard for coaching has beens.  Rich Rod.  Chip Kelly.  Kevin Sumlin.  Herm Edwards.  

Wait a tic....where's the grammar police when you need them?   LOL  "Thru"??? Seriously?  I think you MUST have meant throw.  And you call someone else out for bad grammar?

On 10/29/2019 at 3:00 PM, Boilernation said:

I disagree. California is a top 5 recruiting ground and USC is the "it" program, especially to So Cal kids. I would wager Washington and Oregon's recruiting sucesses in Cali wouldn't come to an end, but would suffer if Meyer was leading USC. Plus, like Ohio State, USC can recruit nationally. The Chargers are failing miserably in LA while the Rams have a decent following, but USC will always be LA's football team. 

USC is a football blue blood. It's a much better job than Florida State. 

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Thoughts about Tom Allen and the Florida State job?

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-football-concern-tom-allen-florida-state-opening/

Looks like a raise is coming to him at Indiana.........

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/11/04/iu-football-coach-tom-allen-line-pay-raise-athletic-director/4160874002/

I didn't realize this (from the article)

His 17 wins (and counting) over his first three seasons are the most for an Indiana coach in the post-World War II era.

He is the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten at $1.8M/yr

(Sorry if already covered in the IU thread)

Although I was being somewhat facetious in my linking  Allen to the Noles, it would be best for IU to keep him.  Rutgers is now the lapdog, let IU eat at the adult table. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 9:58 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

He Looks Miserable:  I know the draw to come to Alma Mater was very strong, but could he of did the Boise St route and made UCF Boise St of the South? 

takes time.

a LOT to all this.