Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lewis Cass 56, Laville 21 - Sectional Championship

Anyone at the game last night that would like to recap what they saw last night?

Can Lewis Cass make it through the next couple weeks to get to LOS?

Will Laville ever get their program to a level that can compete for sectional titles at a 2a level?

Hats off to Cass, they got punched in the mouth right off the bat but did not flinch.  They execute their game plan to a t and played physical and fast.  Laville let the game get away from them from self inflicted mistakes and over a period of 10 mins, the score went from 8-7 Cass to 40-14 Cass.  

Would like to hear others comments on the game.

4 hours ago, SteelCurtain88 said:

I also would say that watching Laville play Lewis Cass and Pioneer, I think Laville needs to start going for 2 points after a score!  Lewis Cass had 14 points, 2 touchdowns on just conversions last night!  Unbelievable 

So, you were at the game SteelCurtain88?

Can you give a recap?

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

I also would say that watching Laville play Lewis Cass and Pioneer, I think Laville needs to start going for 2 points after a score!  Lewis Cass had 14 points, 2 touchdowns on just conversions last night!  Unbelievable 

With that Boot Czarnecki has? That's an automatic 1 or closest thing to it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SteelCurtain88 said:

Anyone at the game last night that would like to recap what they saw last night?

Will Laville ever get their program to a level that can compete for sectional titles at a 2a level?

Hats off to Cass, they got punched in the mouth right off the bat but did not flinch.  They execute their game plan to a t and played physical and fast.  Laville let the game get away from them from self inflicted mistakes and over a period of 10 mins, the score went from 8-7 Cass to 40-14 Cass.  

Cass just has speed, speed and more speed. 

I think LaVille could have played their A+++ game and still wouldn't have won. 

LaVille bumped up when it was their best chance to go on a big run.. Id have no doubts theyd be making a trip to semi state had they not seen an enrollment uptick and remained 1a..  Even if they beat Pioneer in sectional next year they'd have to deal with Andrean and LaVille won't beat them.

Edited by Ultimate Warrior
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

With that Boot Czarnecki has? That's an automatic 1 or closest thing to it. 

Czarnecki is a solid high school kicker.

He has improved in a lot of areas and I think he will spend time in the off-season to improve his kicking game even more.

Not just everyone can kick.  It takes a special talent and it takes a work ethic to 'boot'.

Czarnecki is that kind of kid.

Look forward to the progress he makes from this year to next.

from_the_sidelines007

How long has Lewis Cass been going for 2 on every touchdown?  Did that just start this year?  Is that done based entirely on philosophy or do they lack a good kicker which makes it a better solution for them than if they had a kicker that made an xp almost a sure thing?

6 hours ago, XStar said:

How long has Lewis Cass been going for 2 on every touchdown?  Did that just start this year?  Is that done based entirely on philosophy or do they lack a good kicker which makes it a better solution for them than if they had a kicker that made an xp almost a sure thing?

They kicked extra points against us week 4 this year and were 4-4 doing so. Not sure if their kicker got hurt or they felt they could just get the 2 the majority of the time.

8 hours ago, XStar said:

I believe success rate going for 2 has driven decision to lead with 2. All it takes is to hit on 2’s 50% of the time. Anything after is gravy. Cass kicker is good one of the best we have had

I read the article in the Logansport paper and when they mentioned Cass totaled 2 touchdowns on 2 point conversions, I had to do the math!  Lol.  That is quite the advantage.  I wonder what the success rate is in high school going for 2 instead of 1?  

16 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Czarnecki is a solid high school kicker.

He has improved in a lot of areas and I think he will spend time in the off-season to improve his kicking game even more.

Not just everyone can kick.  It takes a special talent and it takes a work ethic to 'boot'.

Czarnecki is that kind of kid.

Look forward to the progress he makes from this year to next.

from_the_sidelines007

He reminds me a lot of zach markley. (Our kicker in 2013). Czarnecki will be better since hes done it all 4 years. I know he's a good bball player but he could def kick somewhere in college. 

On 11/9/2019 at 11:07 AM, SteelCurtain88 said:

As far as the game went, Lewis Cass feels they played a lackluster game. Fumbled very first drive, couldn't punch it in before the half, and a lot of missed tackles throughout the game. They were just that much bigger and faster than laville for it to not matter. That won't be the case coming up this next week. Andrean is a team that can match that size and speed. 

As for making it to LOS, the Kings control their fate in my opinion. They are the best team in at least the 2A north when all teams are playing at their best. But they can't do all the things I listed above if they want to make it to LOS. The cupcake games are gone. You don't show up from here on out and your going home. I expect the Kings to come out this next Friday and make a statement against Andrean. So to answer your question, the Kings could def make it to LOS and should make it there. But they have to play better than they did against Laville. 

Hats off to Laville for playing tough and not backing down from the challenge. Hopefully they have a great offseason and come back better than this year. Kings are just on a different level than most 2A teams this year.

13 hours ago, dcjjones said:

I believe success rate going for 2 has driven decision to lead with 2. All it takes is to hit on 2’s 50% of the time. Anything after is gravy. Cass kicker is good one of the best we have had

Your success rate in going for 2 is very dependent on your opponent is it not?

On 11/9/2019 at 11:07 AM, SteelCurtain88 said:

On 11/9/2019 at 4:19 PM, Ultimate Warrior said:

Cass has speed, speed and more speed. 

This

To me it was to many mistakes by Laville that lead to Lewis Cass big plays.  Started with the pick 6.  You have the lead 7-0, your defense stopped Lewis Cass twice and forced punts and your pinned down at the 4 yard line.  I don’t think you throw there!  Run it, try to get out from your own own goaline and either punt or if you get a first down, then try some type of pa pass.   But to throw there from the four leading, bad decision.  So Lewis Cass scores goes up 8-7. Next offense series, Laville is faced with a 4th and 7 at Lewis Cass 43 and they go for it and don’t make it.  5 plays later Cass up 16-7.  Then comes a blocked punt on next offense series and Cass scores.  Then a decision to kick a field goal from 47 yards out and it gets blocked and returned for a touchdown.  I guess before the blocked field goal, Laville did add a score but allowed the ensuing kickoff to be returned for a touchdown.  So it was just to many opportunities given to Cass by Laville that buried them by halftime. I’m not taking anything away from Lewis Cass but Laville didn’t do anything to help themselves out with turnovers and allowing quick scores.  

11 hours ago, XStar said:

Your success rate in going for 2 is very dependent on your opponent is it not?

We only started going for two against Pioneer. I think possibly because we knew they would go for two every time.   I know with going for one you have to complete a pass backwards between your legs and then you have to put it on the tee and then your kicker has to kick it.  Sometimes it can seem easier to line up under center and run the ball.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

If you love your playbook from 3 yards out, why not??   

Because everyone loves their playbook against Elwood, Frankfort, and Northwestern.  As the opposition gets progressively better, you love that playbook a little bit less.  What works against South Newton is probably going to be less effective against Bishop Chatard.  

If Lewis Cass was going for 2 against West Lafayette, then they probably aren't going to change for anyone they face in the 2A tournament.  And they may well be just that much better than what's left out there to where it's a sound strategy.  We'll see the next 3 weekends.  

My take:  It's a strategy that will help you win games you were already going to win by more.  In a tight game against an evenly-matched competitor, it could easily backfire.  IMO it's Lewis Cass betting on themselves that they're going to dominate every opponent.  If they're right, they beat Laville by 35 instead of 28.  If they're wrong, however, and they underestimate someone, maybe they lose 21-20 somewhere down the line to an evenly-matched opponent who was good enough defensively to stop them on 2 of 3 conversion attempts.    

Just now, XStar said:

Yes, I figured they did when someone said they started it earlier in the year.  

So is this something your team does?  If not, why not?

We at RCHS have done it throughout the year at various times.   Last year in 2018 we did it ALOT, even though we had a capable kicker like we did this year as well 

Sometimes you just feel like getting 8 points is better than 7.   You score 4 touchdowns that is 24 points, you hit all PAT that is 28, if you go 2-4 on 2pt attempts you have 28 points or max of 32 points. 

Over the weekend, when I was reflecting, I thought to myself by the 2nd quarter it was a "shootout" against Andrean, if we would of went for 2 all those TDs, we could of closed the gap quicker, easy to think after the fact, but something for me to consider moving forward onto 2020.   

This is a decision made weekly by the HC and OC.  We got behind in the scoring against WL by missing an extra point early.  Chased the points and got back on track and resumed kicking.  Against Pioneer, the decision was based on their ability to score 2 every attempt.  Against LaVille, It was determined that they would not be able to stop us from 3 yards out.  Andrean????  Better figure out how to score first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To me it was to many mistakes by Laville that lead to Lewis Cass big plays.  Started with the pick 6.  You have the lead 7-0, your defense stopped Lewis Cass twice and forced punts and your pinned down at the 4 yard line.  I don’t think you throw there!  Run it, try to get out from your own own goaline and either punt or if you get a first down, then try some type of pa pass.   But to throw there from the four leading, bad decision.  So Lewis Cass scores goes up 8-7. Next offense series, Laville is faced with a 4th and 7 at Lewis Cass 43 and they go for it and don’t make it.  5 plays later Cass up 16-7.  Then comes a blocked punt on next offense series and Cass scores.  Then a decision to kick a field goal from 47 yards out and it gets blocked and returned for a touchdown.  I guess before the blocked field goal, Laville did add a score but allowed the ensuing kickoff to be returned for a touchdown.  So it was just to many opportunities given to Cass by Laville that buried them by halftime. I’m not taking anything away from Lewis Cass but Laville didn’t do anything to help themselves out with turnovers and allowing quick scores.  

I will open this by saying that my BOTTOM LINE on this or another thread about the LaVille and Lewis Cass game was EXECUTION, EXECUTION, EXECUTION!

Re: your comment about throwing from the four ....  Seems like LaVille had a lot of trouble running the ball up the middle when they tried. 

A pitch play or option with the QB could have set them up for big trouble.  They did succeed in running that same pass play on their first drive, so I'm thinking (Just know that I'm not a coach here), they thought that pass play might be there again.  I give the Lewis Cass kids a lot of credit for reading that pass play.  IMO that play turned what momentum LaVille had around.

Agree with your assessment of going for it on 4th and 7 near midfield.  IMO, in the playoffs I feel like you make an offense earn a score. Punt the ball.

Blocked punt and blocked FG are great special teams plays by the defense. Lack of execution by the offense, but Cass applied pressure and succeeded.

In this game, on this night, Lewis Cass was most certainly the better team and they EXECUTED much better.

Give LaVille credit, they could have given up and did not.

I did think it was interesting on the opening LaVille drive they were not running its traditional offense.  It's almost like they felt they needed to call plays outside the box to throw Lewis Cass off.  I heard someone say it looked like LaVille was desperate and the game just started in the first quarter.

I like to think of it as creative thinking .... nothing wrong with a different wrinkle that the opponent had not seen yet.

Seems like the first play LaVille ran was the first play that Lewis Cass ran against Pioneer in the first playoff game that went for six.

from_the_sidelines007