Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should ND Decline the Bowl Invitation?

Bobref

I find Barstool Sports mildly entertaining, but not too informative. But this is ridiculous. 

“11AM Central Time on the 28th of December? What in the fuck is that? Camping World? That sounds like a game that should feature Ball State against Boston College, not the 15th ranked team in the nation with a 10-2 record. Not the team with a national fanbase and brand. If Notre Dame wins 10 games they should be featured in a prime time game on New Years in a game that has a major sponsor and an American staple crop. That is their right. And they earned it.

In the final College Football Rankings that were released after Championship Weekend, Notre Dame was ranked 15th, as I said, but guess what else… FIVE Notre Dame opponents were in the top 25

college football rankings

Georgia, Michigan, USC, Navy, and Virginia. So much for the whole “Notre Dame doesn’t play anyone” argument. How many other schools played 5 top 25 teams? I am not going to look that up, but my initial guess is zero.

And yet, Notre Dame is getting screwed by the committee. They put Virginia in the Orange Bowl coming off a 62-17 loss to Clemson and oh yeah Notre Dame beat Virginia 35-20. A game that was never in doubt. They put Memphis in the Cotton Bowl and Baylor in the Sugar Bowl. Memphis lost a game to Temple and I am pretty sure Baylor should still be on probation until forever.

One of my favorite things that Notre Dame does is decline invitations. “Fuck you and your peasant bowl game, we are staying home”–Notre Dame. They did after Lou Holtz resigned in 1996, they did it when they fired Charlie Weis in 2009, and now they should do it again out of spite/principle. Notre Dame with 10 wins is above playing a 7-5 Iowa State team. Brian Kelly should spend the winter recruiting and preparing to go undefeated in 2020. Skip this shit. Notre Dame should give their slot away to charity and have Boston College or Miami play in that game instead. Good day.

PS: The Notre Dame schedule in 2020 is looking…fun. Navy in Ireland, Wisconsin at Lambeau Field, and Clemson in South Bend. Buckle up.”

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/notre-dame-should-decline-the-invitation-to-the-camping-worlddot-com-bowl

Idiotic. Those extra weeks of practice are very worthwhile. So play the game, beat the living crap out of Iowa State, and get some momentum going in to next season.

Edited by Bobref

Not when your best wins are Navy and Virginia.  Sorry, not sorry.

Join a conference.

They have gotten the benefit of the doubt far more times in their history than not.

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Join a conference.

They have gotten the benefit of the doubt far more times in their history than not.

The point the article makes is valid: Did anyone else who finished in the Top 25 play 5 other teams that also finished in the Top 25?

And I wouldn’t say they have gotten the “benefit of the doubt.” What they have gotten is a Bowl bid that sometimes exceeds their season accomplishments because the bowls are about making money and drawing TV viewers ... and they still are the biggest draw in college football.

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The point the article makes is valid: Did anyone else who finished in the Top 25 play 5 other teams that also finished in the Top 25?

And I wouldn’t say they have gotten the “benefit of the doubt.” What they have gotten is a Bowl bid that sometimes exceeds their season accomplishments because the bowls are about making money and drawing TV viewers ... and they still are the biggest draw in college football.

Michigan did...

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Penn State

Iowa

Wisconsin

They “used” to be the biggest draw in college football.  Look at the ratings...

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I think now that there is a football playoff you will see a decline in viewers for the rest of the bowls. Teams that had hopes of a national title at the beginning of the year look at the rest of the bowls as a participation trophy. You are going to see more and more of the stars on those team sit out the bowl games and without those players there, you probably will not fill the seats. It's time to expand the tourney. 

13 minutes ago, Sacked said:

I think now that there is a football playoff you will see a decline in viewers for the rest of the bowls. Teams that had hopes of a national title at the beginning of the year look at the rest of the bowls as a participation trophy. You are going to see more and more of the stars on those team sit out the bowl games and without those players there, you probably will not fill the seats. It's time to expand the tourney. 

Yep.  It’s playoff or bust.

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Join a conference.

Didn't you mention that conference championships don't mean a thing?

9 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Didn't you mention that conference championships don't mean a thing?

Exactly.  The ACC would have meant something this year had Notre Dame been a member.  They would have given Clemson a better game than UVA (or any other ACC team for that matter).  Would have also been a way for them to get a more premier bowl game.

Thanks for making my point.  

Temptation:  Track Speed

You:  Football Speed.

I have a problem with the whole "My team is better because we played more ranked teams" argument. Most college football schedules are made 5 to 10 years in advance. How does anyone know that far out what kind of team they will be playing. There needs to be a better way to measure teams. 

24 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Exactly.  The ACC would have meant something this year had Notre Dame been a member.  They would have given Clemson a better game than UVA (or any other ACC team for that matter).  Would have also been a way for them to get a more premier bowl game.

Thanks for making my point.  

Temptation:  Track Speed

You:  Football Speed.

You are welcome.

I couldnt agree more

ND should tell them to pound it.  Stay home.  get healthy and recruit.  

Secondary bowl attendance is in steep decline and will continue on that trend.  ND has leverage and would love to see them wield it.

18 hours ago, DT said:

I couldnt agree more

ND should tell them to pound it.  Stay home.  get healthy and recruit.  

Secondary bowl attendance is in steep decline and will continue on that trend.  ND has leverage and would love to see them wield it.

If I was a senior I would be livid if the team I played for decided to not play their bowl game. You earn that right and it’s the last game you likely get to play barring professional level play of any sorts. 

beyond that you are robbing the team you are playing that chance to play in a bowl game.  

there is so much more to it than just a primetime game because your team is a historic power and has so much tradition.

fans should be humble because 2021 is coming and Notre Dame is gonna get its day of reckoning with the new CBA that will likely force them to lose their current national schedule and numerous primetime games.

8 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

fans should be humble because 2021 is coming and Notre Dame is gonna get its day of reckoning with the new CBA that will likely force them to lose their current national schedule and numerous primetime games.

??????

9 minutes ago, Bobref said:

??????

Sorry I shouldn’t have said “primetime”

I believe in 2021/2022 there is some sort of CBA to be discussed separately from the 2026 4 team Playoff contract with espn.  I was reading up on this article and it basically got down to the NCAA strong arming Notre Dame into a conference.  In part of doing this, Notre Dame is going to lose some of their nationally televised games.  

there is a growing movement against Notre Dame because they are not in a conference and also get a number of nationally televised games on big channels.  The idea is that because Notre Dame isn’t in a conference and they get more national coverage that they get an unfair advantage to being thought of as a top team.

now I’m definitely not a hater of Notre Dame and generally support the team so I would argue that they still play a tough schedule vs good teams and being that the games are all across the country, they of course will have it nationally televised.  But my opinion doesn’t matter on this....because it’s what others are thinking and how big conferences are thinking. 

im trying to find the article I read this on but can’t.  It’s based around the 4 team playoff moving to 8 potentially. Although it could have been about allowing athletes to earn money....which I think lines up more with 2021/2022 timeline. 

52 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

If I was a senior I would be livid if the team I played for decided to not play their bowl game. You earn that right and it’s the last game you likely get to play barring professional level play of any sorts. 

beyond that you are robbing the team you are playing that chance to play in a bowl game.  

there is so much more to it than just a primetime game because your team is a historic power and has so much tradition.

I dont know.  Kids dont go to ND to play in these types of meaningless games.  And the jaylon Smith disaster is very close to home for Irish players.  These indoor practices are basically 7 on 7 sessions anyways.  I wouldn't necessarily call them high value practices.  

ND is in the unique situation where it could decline a bowl invite and suffer no damage to its rep - because its ND.  They have earned that right over the years.

22 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Sorry I shouldn’t have said “primetime”

I believe in 2021/2022 there is some sort of CBA to be discussed separately from the 2026 4 team Playoff contract with espn.  I was reading up on this article and it basically got down to the NCAA strong arming Notre Dame into a conference.  In part of doing this, Notre Dame is going to lose some of their nationally televised games.  

there is a growing movement against Notre Dame because they are not in a conference and also get a number of nationally televised games on big channels.  The idea is that because Notre Dame isn’t in a conference and they get more national coverage that they get an unfair advantage to being thought of as a top team.

now I’m definitely not a hater of Notre Dame and generally support the team so I would argue that they still play a tough schedule vs good teams and being that the games are all across the country, they of course will have it nationally televised.  But my opinion doesn’t matter on this....because it’s what others are thinking and how big conferences are thinking. 

im trying to find the article I read this on but can’t.  It’s based around the 4 team playoff moving to 8 potentially. Although it could have been about allowing athletes to earn money....which I think lines up more with 2021/2022 timeline. 

This is news to me ... although resentment because of their exclusive TV deal with NBC goes back many years.

3 minutes ago, DT said:

I dont know.  Kids dont go to ND to play in these types of meaningless games.  And the jaylon Smith disaster is very close to home for Irish players.  These indoor practices are basically 7 on 7 sessions anyways.  I wouldn't necessarily call them high value practices.  

ND is in the unique situation where it could decline a bowl invite and suffer no damage to its rep - because its ND.  They have earned that right over the years.

Agreed they would be fine. Just looking at it from a player perspective...especially if i was a senior who wasn’t going to play professionally.

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

This is news to me ... although resentment because of their exclusive TV deal with NBC goes back many years.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they join the ACC by 2024. Probably the most likely move. Whether that lowers the number of big TV games or not is another story. 

11 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they join the ACC by 2024. Probably the most likely move. Whether that lowers the number of big TV games or not is another story. 

I am not sure that a big TV contract in today's world is as big of deal as it used to be. In today's world you can pretty much watch any Power 5 school that you want to see every week.