Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NEW MEXICO HS FOOTBALL to the Spring

On 7/12/2020 at 1:43 PM, Temptation said:

How do you justify coming back and playing again in the fall if 2021?  That’s one hell of a grind.

On 7/12/2020 at 2:27 PM, wabashalwaysfights said:

That's what I said when this was brought up before. To my mind, that "grind" would be worse for high school age student-athletes than the threat posed to them by Covid. And I get it, the fear surrounding Covid isn't necessarily just the student-athletes, but still...

And the grind might well be rougher on smaller schools as you've got plenty of kids playing both ways and at some schools.  It'll be tough on most kids, but the 1A kid who's the QB, safety, punter, kicker, and bus driver will be worn come Christmas of 2021.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Lysander said:

Just bear in mind that baseball isn’t the only alternative Spring sport you are contending with.  Most every school is also going to have track.  Many other schools are also going to have golf, lacrosse and rugby.  

I played football both ways in HS but if had been forced to make a choice between track and football, I’d have chosen track.  Not because I liked running in circles until I puked vs playing football but because running in circles paid for my college....something football wasn’t going to do.

Not to mention the point @Temptation made earlier about underclassmen would basically be playing continuous football from literally January through the end of November in the case of teams that would make deep runs.  That’s 11 straight months of football for underclassmen.

I think spring is problematic.

Lysander. This whole situation is problematic (I'm not sure what that word means, half the time) 

LaCrosse and rugby are not IHSAA sports so they will just have to suffer.  This is an emergency.  

The spring season would end in June. The school year ends in June.  Nobody would play or practice 11 months in a row. 

Everyone would be free to choose the sport they wished to play.    

Folks. Time is running out to make a decision. Once half the schools in your conference cancel fall sports, youre done whether you want to be or not.

The whole state needs to go to the spring. It is happening elsewhere.

On 7/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, cw13 said:

If we play in the spring and end in May..................to eliminate the grind.................no summer workouts until August........just weights/conditioning

it is workable

more importantly........if we want football it may be our only option

This is what I want too. 

Under your plan.. Would baseball be still in spring? They could do a dense schedule (conference, maybe 2 extra games)?

22 hours ago, Lysander said:

Just bear in mind that baseball isn’t the only alternative Spring sport you are contending with.  Most every school is also going to have track.  Many other schools are also going to have golf, lacrosse and rugby.  

I played football both ways in HS but if had been forced to make a choice between track and football, I’d have chosen track.  Not because I liked running in circles until I puked vs playing football but because running in circles paid for my college....something football wasn’t going to do.

Not to mention the point @Temptation made earlier about underclassmen would basically be playing continuous football from literally January through the end of November in the case of teams that would make deep runs.  That’s 11 straight months of football for underclassmen.

I think spring is problematic.

This is why Indiana will play in the fall.

23 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

In NW Indiana, Portage, Boone Grove, Calumet and River Forest have suspended ALL fall athletics until further notice

I could be wrong about this but the similarity amongst those schools that have suspended summer conditioning, including school city of Hammond and East Chicago is that none of those schools have introduced reopening plans as individual districts. In my opinion, that plays an incredible role, it seems that a district would have a plan in place to reopen before allowing fall sports to proceed. School City of Hammond is announcing their entry into fall athletics on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coach_schreibjr said:

I could be wrong about this but the similarity amongst those schools that have suspended summer conditioning, including school city of Hammond and East Chicago is that none of those schools have introduced reopening plans as individual districts. In my opinion, that plays an incredible role, it seems that a district would have a plan in place to reopen before allowing fall sports to proceed. School City of Hammond is announcing their entry into fall athletics on Tuesday. 

True, suspended is not cancelled...........and schools are still scrambling with the reopening plans...

The 8 schools (so far) could all decide to go forward with football

18 total schools with cases or pauses:

- East Chicago Central
- Michigan City
- Hammond Gavit
- Hammond Clark
- Hammond High
- Hammond Morton
- South Bend St. Joe
Mishawaka High School  
Brownstown
North Central (Indy)
Terre Haute South
Silver Creek
An Unknown School in Floyd County
Fishers
Portage
Boone Grove
Calumet
River Forest

17 hours ago, cw13 said:

18 total schools with cases or pauses:

- East Chicago Central
- Michigan City
- Hammond Gavit
- Hammond Clark
- Hammond High
- Hammond Morton
- South Bend St. Joe
Mishawaka High School  
Brownstown
North Central (Indy)
Terre Haute South
Silver Creek
An Unknown School in Floyd County
Fishers
Portage
Boone Grove
Calumet
River Forest

If being "case free" is a prerequisite for any high school sports this year....there definitely won't be any highs school sports this year.  

27 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

If being "case free" is a prerequisite for any high school sports this year....there definitely won't be any highs school sports this year.  

It probably is.

What parent is going to sign a 'death waiver' absolving the school district of ALL legal liability if their kid catches a virus and dies playing district-sponsored sports after his teammate tested positive for the same virus for which there is no vaccine, no treatment and no cure?

What school district is going to accept the ALL legal liability for the damage done to a student involved in a district-sponsored extra curricular activity after a similar kid in the same activity tested positive for a virus for which there is no vaccine, no treatment and no cure..?

Cant blame either one.

52 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

It probably is.

What parent is going to sign a 'death waiver' absolving the school district of ALL legal liability if their kid catches a virus and dies playing district-sponsored sports after his teammate tested positive for the same virus for which there is no vaccine, no treatment and no cure?

What school district is going to accept the ALL legal liability for the damage done to a student involved in a district-sponsored extra curricular activity after a similar kid in the same activity tested positive for a virus for which there is no vaccine, no treatment and no cure..?

Cant blame either one.

I will sign it for my 14 year old twins.