Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Philadelphia public school teacher worries about 'conservative' parents listening in on virtual classes

Muda69

https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelphia-public-school-teacher-worries-about-conservative-parents-listening-in-on-virtual-classes

A Philadelphia public school teacher is curious about how educators will cope with “conservative parents" listening in on virtual classes, according to a thread captured on Twitter.

According to a report by the Daily Wire, Matthew Kay, who teaches English at the Science Leadership Academy said on the social media platform that he is concerned about the “damage” that “helicopter parents” might cause if they overhear lessons on topics such as gender and sexuality.

“So, this fall, virtual class discussion will have many potential spectators — parents, siblings, etc. — in the same room. We’ll never be quite sure who is overhearing the discourse. What does this do for our equity/inclusion work?” Kay tweeted. “How much have students depended on the (somewhat) secure barriers of our physical classrooms to encourage vulnerability? How many of us have installed some version of ‘what happens here stays here’ to help this?”

While Kay acknowledged that "damage can come from the left too," he noted that "conservative parents" are his chief concern when teachers are engaging “in the messy work of destabilizing a kid’s racism or homophobia or transphobia.”

“While conversations about race are in my wheelhouse, and remain a concern in this no-walls environment — I am most intrigued by the damage that ‘helicopter/snowplow’ parents can do in the host conversations about gender/sexuality," he tweeted. "And while ‘conservative’ parents are my chief concern — I know that the damage can come from the left too. If we are engaged in the messy work of destabilizing a kid’s racism or homophobia or transphobia — how much do we want their classmates’ parents piling on?”

Since the thread, Kay's account has since been switched to private. He did not immediately return FOX News' request for comment.

Gee I thought K-12 education was about teaching facts, not "destabilizing a kid's racism, or homophobia, or transphobia".  Yet another example of progressives thinking they always have the right to interfere in the the private life of a student and his family.

• Thanks 1
  • Kill me now 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelphia-public-school-teacher-worries-about-conservative-parents-listening-in-on-virtual-classes

Gee I thought K-12 education was about teaching facts, not "destabilizing a kid's racism, or homophobia, or transphobia".  Yet another example of progressives thinking they always have the right to interfere in the the private life of a student and his family.

As long as you teach to the curriculum, you are okay. But, that curriculum might offend a lot of snowflake Tories.

Funny that the article just brushes aside that he said there are problems from liberal parents as well. The bigger issue is how can live streaming even be legal? There are a number of privacy issues that come up. If a kid has an IEP, and asks a teacher if he or she can go to the resource room for help, instead of a one on one conversation, the potential for kids and parents at home to hear that is a risk. If there is a discipline issue in the classroom, that is an issue as well. Iknow a teacher in an elementary school who heard a parent yell and cuss at her kid and she is certain she heard a slap. With so many on screen at once, there was no way to determine who it was.Then you have a who.e new set of discipline issues. Fishers high school had someone showing their male privates on camera, and another student in the same class yelling the n word. There is simply no way to control those types of things. Another teacher I know had parents calling during class with questions. It is too much for any teacher to take on. There are several classes that are able to have one teacher at a grade level work with virtual students, but even that has its own set of issues. Not all buildings can afford to dedicate a teacher to just that group. As far as what this teacher is talking about, there is something to be said for a kid being in a class and feeling comfortable enough to share something personal that he or she may not be so willing too if the class is being broadcast. 

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

Fishers high school had someone showing their male privates on camera, and another student in the same class yelling the n word.

I can't imagine what those kids would do in physical class. In Hamilton County of all places.

The worst I had last year when we went virtual, One Of My Students Thought It Was Cool To Start Capitalizing Every Beginning Letter in Every Word.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

The worst I had last year when we went virtual, One Of My Students Thought It Was Cool To Start Capitalizing Every Beginning Letter in Every Word.  

I had a co-worker who refused to type any email correspondence in anything other than ALL CAPS.   They said that is how they learned to use email in the military and they were not going to change.

8 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I had a co-worker who refused to type any email correspondence in anything other than ALL CAPS.   They said that is how they learned to use email in the military and they were not going to change.

One of my sales guys is the exact same way......I keep telling him - they think your yelling at them.......

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Because Zoom doesn't allow for recordings?

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

Did you read the story??? A mom was murdered while her 10 year old was on a zoom meeting. Do I need to explain further? 

I did read the story; and it's not a reason to cancel Zoom classes.

Statistically speaking, this was bound to happen with all of the online footage now being generated. 

6 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

I did read the story; and it's not a reason to cancel Zoom classes.

Statistically speaking, this was bound to happen with all of the online footage now being generated. 

So this is OK, but getting kids back to school with data (statistics, BTW) that show how little this virus will affect them isn't OK?   

I have an in-law who teaches at a Marion county high school.  They say between the in-person classes and various e-learning/zoom/streaming options they are also required to teach they basically have 36 classes this semester.................

On 8/17/2020 at 8:33 AM, Muda69 said:

I have an in-law who teaches at a Marion county high school.  They say between the in-person classes and various e-learning/zoom/streaming options they are also required to teach they basically have 36 classes this semester.................

non sense

• Disdain 1