Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Pregame coaches meeting

oldtimeqb

Question

Question/suggestion

Based on what I have seen, heard, and unfortunately experienced with my son’s team thus far, I think it would be completely appropriate for the white hat to ask each coach pre-game, ‘Do any of your players currently have pending COVID tests?’ They ask about proper equipment, casts, wraps, braces, etc. 

If a player wakes up Saturday morning with fever, chills, etc., that is one thing. But given that Indiana is only testing symptomatic people and their close contacts, there is no sense tempting fate. 

If a player has taken a test and has not received a negative result, he should not play Friday night. It seems like common sense, but that seems to be in short supply.

I’m fairly certain some teams have had players show up to practices only to find later they had been tested and it turned out positive. Why take the risk of dealing with that aftermath, when it seems a short question could prevent it?

Am I way off base on this? 

6 answers to this question

28 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Question/suggestion

Based on what I have seen, heard, and unfortunately experienced with my son’s team thus far, I think it would be completely appropriate for the white hat to ask each coach pre-game, ‘Do any of your players currently have pending COVID tests?’ They ask about proper equipment, casts, wraps, braces, etc. 

If a player wakes up Saturday morning with fever, chills, etc., that is one thing. But given that Indiana is only testing symptomatic people and their close contacts, there is no sense tempting fate. 

If a player has taken a test and has not received a negative result, he should not play Friday night. It seems like common sense, but that seems to be in short supply.

I’m fairly certain some teams have had players show up to practices only to find later they had been tested and it turned out positive. Why take the risk of dealing with that aftermath, when it seems a short question could prevent it?

Am I way off base on this? 

I would say that's far beyond the game officials jurisdiction. That's a personal team/school policy that they need to administer. Just my opinion. 

I would like to think that School/Team/Coaches will have a policy that any player/student who is awaiting a Covid test results must be quarantined in the first place.    To me that makes no sense for someone who had a symptom or 2, goes get a test, but then continues to school and practice.    That person, in any field, whether working in a factory, office school insert all here, should remain away until test results come back 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I would like to think that School/Team/Coaches will have a policy that any player/student who is awaiting a Covid test results must be quarantined in the first place.    To me that makes no sense for someone who had a symptom or 2, goes get a test, but then continues to school and practice.    That person, in any field, whether working in a factory, office school insert all here, should remain away until test results come back 

I agree they should and it seems common sense. I just was wondering if knowing it would be a question asked would force the issue and eliminate the known/should have known issue. 

As a coach you know the health status of your team. I would be extremely upset if I got a call Sunday that an OL from Team X got an positive result. Because he played Friday night, our entire Defensive Line is out the next two weeks.  He played with a pending result because he wasn’t showing symptoms.

That seems preventable. But only if both teams and school corporations have the same policy. 

• Like 1

Just because someone has been tested doesn't mean they are symptomatic. I know a lot of people young and old who are getting tested for a variety of reasons. I agree if someone was highly exposed or symptomatic and that's why they are taking a test they should probably quarantine until they get a result.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JustRules said:

Just because someone has been tested doesn't mean they are symptomatic. I know a lot of people young and old who are getting tested for a variety of reasons. I agree if someone was highly exposed or symptomatic and that's why they are taking a test they should probably quarantine until they get a result.

I have tested twice this Summer. 

• Like 1