Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 40 Final: (7-4) Mater Dei @ (8-3) Linton

2 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

EXACTLY!  Very well put.  MD "recruits" new kids everytime they face the crowd and raise their helmets after victory.  Kids of all ages are sitting in the stands (at least in a normal year!)see that and want to be a part of it.  I imagine this is no different than most successful programs be it sports, band, cheer, STEM, etc.  Success breeds success.

Linton has the North End Zone kids.   There is always a bunch of them playing football there during a Miner home game.  They are all pretending to be Miners.   I know I have heard many Miner players say they used to play in the North End Zone when they were little.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kingtut said:

It wouldn't be feasible to have one school in Greene County due to the geographic size of the county.  Two schools definitely does make sense though with east and west divided by White river which splits the county down the middle.  Eastern And Bloomfield in the east with WRV, Linton and Shakamak in the west.  That should have been done long ago. 

Put that thing smack in the middle of the county.   

36 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I've enjoyed the discussion that has been going on the past few days.  And NO ONE has been disrespectful.   That is what has been so great about it.  (For me) It's always great to talk with other fans.   I seriously doubt most of the Mater Dei fans would have posted much on here this week if this topic hadn't been brought up.  I have a great respect for Mater Dei and their fans.   Most of them are well informed and articulate.   It has been a fun week chatting.   Now it is less than 12 hours to game time.   It's really a shame they aren't allowing fans in the game.  There is nothing like a playoff game at Roy Williams Field.   It is ALWAYS electric and the Miners feed off of that energy.

Completely agree.  I may have disagreed with some of your thoughts & opinions outlined in this thread but I respect them, nonetheless.  Opinions are based on each of our own personal experiences in life and that is why they will often differ.  Doesn't make them wrong, just different.  One of my fave college profs used to say that "real understanding occurs at the point which two competing opinions collide". Life has shown that to be true.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDAlum82 said:

Completely agree.  I may have disagreed with some of your thoughts & opinions outlined in this thread but I respect them, nonetheless.  Opinions are based on each of our own personal experiences in life and that is why they will often differ.  Doesn't make them wrong, just different.  One of my fave college profs used to say that "real understanding occurs at the point which two competing opinions collide". Life has shown that to be true.

Well said, my friend.  Well said.   

3 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Linton has the North End Zone kids.   There is always a bunch of them playing football there during a Miner home game.  They are all pretending to be Miners.   I know I have heard many Miner players say they used to play in the North End Zone when they were little.

Back in the day - OLD MAN TELLING A STORY ALERT - before the Bowl had turf installed, kids used to go down on the field and play during halftime, after the band left.  I would take my boys down as well and would often end up throwing passes to alI kids who used to line up.  Once the turf was installed, Reitz maintenance crew would chase us off field because somehow our tennis shoes were going to damage the field.  Go figure.  I think he was just a grouchy dude who hated to see all the kids - including the really old one, having so much fun!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Back in the day - OLD MAN TELLING A STORY ALERT - before the Bowl had turf installed, kids used to go down on the field and play during halftime, after the band left.  I would take my boys down as well and would often end up throwing passes to alI kids who used to line up.  Once the turf was installed, Reitz maintenance crew would chase us off field because somehow our tennis shoes were going to damage the field.  Go figure.  I think he was just a grouchy dude who hated to see all the kids - including the really old one, having so much fun!

Love those kind of stories.  For me it's another part of the game.  Just like the smell of burning leaves, hot chocolate, fried foods, turned up turf/dirt, etc.   All part of the game that I appreciate.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

I was using 75 because someone else said they had the roster in their hand and that was the number they quoted in their post.   Don't know the source they were using.  I do know the integrity of the poster and they wouldn't exaggerate or lie.  

that was me... in my prepping for the game.. I was sent a post-season MAter Dei Roster from MD... 75 names.   I know that doesn't mean all 75 dress...and some are injured I'm sure...

1 minute ago, itiswhatitis said:

Love those kind of stories.  For me it's another part of the game.  Just like the smell of burning leaves, hot chocolate, fried foods, turned up turf/dirt, etc.   All part of the game that I appreciate.

To me, this is all just part of the experience and often the part we remember most years later.  I remember throwing those kids passes but couldn't tell the game, the score, etc if my life depended on it.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

EXACTLY!  Very well put.  MD "recruits" new kids everytime they face the crowd and raise their helmets after victory.  Kids of all ages are sitting in the stands (at least in a normal year!)see that and want to be a part of it.  I imagine this is no different than most successful programs be it sports, band, cheer, STEM, etc.  Success breeds success.

You know I agree with this...  Honestly.. going back over Linton rosters randomly... we hover in the 50's most years..  52 in 2008, 59 in 2013  50 in 2012.   But it's definitely true that winning breeds success.... annndd participation.   I know it seem most years Linton has a couple kids who come out and go through everything.. .just to be on the team and run on the field and feel a part of something... even knowing they will only get out there in action in a blow-out.  For sure it's because of the excitement it brings..and the pride they feel being part of something that is held with high respect in the community.  Our upperclassmen are idolized by the little kids who scurry around the north endzone (when they could...)... they wear their youth league jerseys, their junior high jerseys proudly.   Every year the varsity starters will simulate a game with the little guys... it is always an awesome thing to see.  I have a few pictures over the years... but it's just cool to see future Miners piling up on one of the senior athletes.. dragging him down for a tackle. 

For me ... it's very sad to say this... I just think alot of kids don't care.  JUSt don't.  They don't wanna put forth any effort into anything.  If there is hard work involved... they'd just as soon sit at home and play games on their phone or computer for hours upon hours.  I think there are kids who normally would get involved in something.. be it band, any kind of sport, or just some club interests... but naaahh... no interest in that.  We see it in the young kids coming up through the leagues... then junior high. I believe this year we had many kids that simply decided not to play in our JR High team... the numbers are way down.  Kids walking around the hall who are good players...and could be valuable as they get older on the field.  no reason...just..ahh.. decided not to play.  Now...I know that kids decide not to play all the time...I had friends who said football just wasn't fun... wasn't their thing.. so I know you are  gonna lose a certain % early on.  Some come back... others never do....still others go one to be very successful in another sport or in any thing else.  

I guess my concern is that we keep losing numbers.  We have kids fall through the cracks, mix with wrong crowds, get in a rut. We are not remotely a big city by any means.  But the elements are out there believe me.  Linton has had some great behind the scenes success with football kids who were in a tough home life, or just in situations you hate to see anyone in.   Kids just floating through school with no direction sometime just need to feel part of something.. to be valued.    As Linton started winning in 1a and getting sectional titles... regionals.. .and getting noticed.   Kids wanted to be part of it...   the home crowd scenes were always such a big deal.  As you mention with MD... Linton has a long list of generational players... in my time of doing the radio I have read off names of kids who grandpa played on that field, of course their dad, Uncle, older brothers...  makes me feel kinda old!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

I've enjoyed the discussion that has been going on the past few days.  And NO ONE has been disrespectful.   That is what has been so great about it.  (For me) It's always great to talk with other fans.   I seriously doubt most of the Mater Dei fans would have posted much on here this week if this topic hadn't been brought up.  I have a great respect for Mater Dei and their fans.   Most of them are well informed and articulate.   It has been a fun week chatting.   Now it is less than 12 hours to game time.   It's really a shame they aren't allowing fans in the game.  There is nothing like a playoff game at Roy Williams Field.   It is ALWAYS electric and the Miners feed off of that energy.

I agree. It has been an enjoyable discussion. I love the passion and pride that you and others have for the Miner program. It's great for the game and for high school sports. I no longer believe all of the bad things my friends in Sullivan say about you guys (only joking of course). I'm glad these kids are getting an opportunity to have this experience with all of the craziness going on. Hopefully some sense of normalcy will return soon. Best of luck tonight and prayers for a good, clean game with no injuries!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

To me, this is all just part of the experience and often the part we remember most years later.  I remember throwing those kids passes but couldn't tell the game, the score, etc if my life depended on it.   

Lordy that was me in elementary....  those little footballs the cheerleaders would fire up in the stands... well I had about 3 of them.   Me and my friends would find a patch of clearing something around the field... and just start wailing on each other  Then a group from the other side would kinda stare us down LOL... yeah.. we'd be 9 or 10...   so soon enough it was game time ...  we had little idea of what was actually happening in the real game unless we heard a loud roar.. or the action came to our end of the endzone.    Sometimes on the road it was a hill.. like at North Knox, others behind the bleachers at Sullivan etc.  At Greencastle an on older girl just came up and flattened me.. busted my nose... I went scurrying to the stands with mom.. "Why are you up here?  You are never up here".... I guess she couldn't see my shiny nose or watery eyes!

I love to just soak in the High School environment... usually pregame I stroll the field... in and out of the players... the locker room... talk to people.  Smell the food on the grills, the popcorn popped, the smell of the grass, the crack of the field drums from the band, the sound of cleats on the concrete,   "Set... go"  400 times....   the buildup....   the looks on the kids eyes.   The sound of the pads popping.  The loud music blasting in lockerooms, the sound of tape being cut to wrap ankles.. and of course that locker-room stench that is one of a kind!! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, South Paw said:

I agree. It has been an enjoyable discussion. I love the passion and pride that you and others have for the Miner program. It's great for the game and for high school sports. I no longer believe all of the bad things my friends in Sullivan say about you guys (only joking of course). I'm glad these kids are getting an opportunity to have this experience with all of the craziness going on. Hopefully some sense of normalcy will return soon. Best of luck tonight and prayers for a good, clean game with no injuries!

ahh LOL... well.... if you believe what they say.. you GOTTA believe what we say too!!  it's only Fair.   My dad was head football coach over there for 3 years.... we moved up from Kentucky.  So I was an Arrow... wait.. just a Dart...  and Dad got the axe but ended up Athletic Director at Linton... I was in 6th grade.  There was already a much heated hatred rivalry from years back... but it got real for me about then!!!!  

Yeah it woulda been nice to put faces to these names and have a handshake and a laugh pregame tonight at the Roy.  I really have made some great friends over the years at various schools we've played...   Last year I got down to the bowl so late....all i could do was set up.. get ready...pens laid out... paper... computer screen at the ready... look up... 7-0 Cats....  eeeeesh. 

3 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Yeah it woulda been nice to put faces to these names and have a handshake and a laugh pregame tonight at the Roy.  I really have made some great friends over the years at various schools we've played...   Last year I got down to the bowl so late....all i could do was set up.. get ready...pens laid out... paper... computer screen at the ready... look up... 7-0 Cats....  eeeeesh. 

In past years, there would be a group of us who would meet at the State Championship games, usually in one of the end zones to shake hands and put faces with screen names.  That is where I first met "TA"...  still hard to believe he is no longer with us.  Much too soon.  Without Tim Adams, where would all go to discuss all these REALLY IMPORTANT things!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Paw said:

I feel the same here, South Paw.   I grew up in Ohio and graduated in Ohio.   High school football is in everyone's blood there.   When I retired to Indiana (1995), I was thinking, "oh no, now I have to suffer with  basketball".  I was pleasantly surprised to find that Linton was a football town and just beginning to have some success.  So it was easy for me to support the team since I was already passionate about high school football.   My son played (2000 - 2002) which was the first 3 years that Coach Weber (now at Bedford North Lawrence) coached at Linton.  He is the all time winningest coach at Linton.  However Coach Oliver is having a ton of success with the record and will probably pass him in a few short years.   I've seen the highs and lows of Miner football and have loved every minute of it.  Have suffered through all of the disappointments at losing 8 semi-states to the high of a state championship.  I too wish for good health for our players and hope we have a nail biter of a game tonight.  Yes I am passionate about Miner football.  Every fall is my time of the year.  Every Friday night I am either at a game or have it on the radio or at a game and take my radio with me and hear it AT the game.  It would seem weird not to have Miner Pride's voice booming from my radio during a broadcast on a Friday night in the fall.

18 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

In past years, there would be a group of us who would meet at the State Championship games, usually in one of the end zones to shake hands and put faces with screen names.  That is where I first met "TA"...  still hard to believe he is no longer with us.  Much too soon.  Without Tim Adams, where would all go to discuss all these REALLY IMPORTANT things!

We had some Ritter fans come to our semi-state game with Scecina.  It was played at University of Indianapolis.   They came just to tail gate with us and root for the Miners.   A few years earlier we had met them at Linton for the semi-state game with Ritter.   Ritter has been and will always be my favorite fan base.   They are such great people.  So caring, so giving, and such football junkies!  My kinda peeps.  Most of them don't post on here any more.   It's a shame.  I miss them.

Edited by itiswhatitis

1 hour ago, kingtut said:

It wouldn't be feasible to have one school in Greene County due to the geographic size of the county.  Two schools definitely does make sense though with east and west divided by White river which splits the county down the middle.  Eastern And Bloomfield in the east with WRV, Linton and Shakamak in the west.  That should have been done long ago. 

Wow. I learned something new today.  After all these years in Indiana, I had no idea Green County had all those high schools.  I knew Bloomfield and Eastern were not that far apart, but didn't know there were 5 in the county.

Population wise, it is similar to Gibson, Knox, and Daviess.  (mid-30k)  All of those counties have 3 public high schools based on geography and population.  Although you could argue that Rivet and Wash Catholic show a 4th HS could be supported, a 5th just seems to be a lot. 

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Wow. I learned something new today.  After all these years in Indiana, I had no idea Green County had all those high schools.  I knew Bloomfield and Eastern were not that far apart, but didn't know there were 5 in the county.

Population wise, it is similar to Gibson, Knox, and Daviess.  (mid-30k)  All of those counties have 3 public high schools based on geography and population.  Although you could argue that Rivet and Wash Catholic show a 4th HS could be supported, a 5th just seems to be a lot. 

Here's something else to learn today:  it is Greene County not Green County.  There is an "E" on the end of it.   LOL  It was named after a general in the civil war, unless I'm mistaken about the war.

13 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I wish I could blame autocorrect.  I typed it correctly the first time, but it was later in my post. I deleted the sentence.  Then re-typed it incorrectly earlier in my paragraph.  Like Donnie Baker would say... Swear to god I did. 🙂

I was a fan of driving the 57/67 path from Evansville to Indy, mainly because I loathed driving US 41. 

1 minute ago, oldtimeqb said:

I wish I could blame autocorrect.  I typed it correctly the first time, but it was later in my post. I deleted the sentence.  Then re-typed it incorrectly earlier in my paragraph.  Like Donnie Baker would say... Swear to god I did. 🙂

I was a fan of driving the 57/67 path from Evansville to Indy, mainly because I loathed driving US 41. 

I was just the opposite.  I took 41 down to Evansville from Linton.  LOL  I guess I liked the 4 lanes.     Different strokes for different folks, right?

One last thought about the game.   Our teams are getting the opportunity to compete.  Mater Dei and Linton are going to meet for the Sectional 40 championship.  There are other teams in this uncertain environment that have not and  are not getting to play.   I feel for them after all of the work and effort they put in to find out they aren't going to play.   It's one thing to be injured and not be able to finish your season.  I always feel for the seniors that happens to.  But this thing?   You basically have no control over what is going on.  They have my heartfelt sympathy and my gratitude for what they have given to the game.  I wish them well in their futures.

• Like 3

Back in the day before they redid the field kids used to ho out an form the tunnel with the band for the starting lineups. I always thought it was so awesome giving five as the players ran out. (Couple times it actually hurt but wouldnt let my buddies know it). Then it was more awesome to get older an run down the tunnel.  Now they dont do it an along with few other things its just not the same.

Not the game most of us expected but happy to walk away with the "W" at this time of the year.  MD got out to the 37 -0  lead but Miners made a good effort at a rally to close it out at 37 -20. 

Appreciated the play by play guys on livestream tonight.  Man, the main guy barely gets a chance to breath with all the sponsor promos he has to do btwn plays. Great to see Linton community supporting their team.  The prime rib special from the local sports pub about had me grabbing my car keys and making a road trip.😷   

I do have one question...what was the deal with the running clock towards the end of the game?  Obviously that rule has changed this year but first time we have been subject to it this year.  It was 37 - 14 to begin the fourth quarter, but that is when the running clock seemed to kick in - ?