Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Recommended Posts

Since we are here in 2021 and we have some interesting news I thought I'd get this one going. 

Clarksville is officially leaving the MSC (link). They will still play some of the conference teams (Scottsburg, Charlestown, Brownstown) but will now play some PLAC members as well (West Washington, Crawford, Perry) in addition to their traditional rivalry with Providence (who now has more of an MSC flair to their schedule as they will play Charlestown, Corydon and North Harrison). Schedule changes will be abound, which will certainly makes things different and possibly more interesting. 

There does not appear to be much coaching turnover between the two leagues this year, as only West Washington will feature a new, but familiar name at HC. Springs Valley will also have a new HC, though they have not named one at this time.

What should we expect from each league and what questions have to be answered? 

MSC - Brownstown will be their typical top notch program. Silver Creek looks to build on their best season in school history and defend their title, but must do so with some big losses from their senior class. How will Salem be after a very solid first year under Coach Thompson? Can Charlestown bounce back from an unusually challenging year? North Harrison continues to be a challenger for everyone. I am not sure how much they return. Corydon saw some great improvement. Will they continue? How do Scottsburg and Eastern look and do they return much? 

PLAC - Does West Washington continue their dominance under a new coach? Can Paoli challenge WW? Perry is always right there as well. Can Mitchell bounce back from a down year? Will a new coach at Valley bring some new energy? After trying to get out of the conference, can Crawford continue to build in year two under Coach Bell? They were able to add Switz County, Eastern and Clarksville to their schedule in addition to already having a game with Rock Creek. 

NOT MSC/PLAC but close - Will a new schedule for Clarksville provide some momentum going forward? Coach Boser has done a nice job improving things. Providence continued to improve throughout the year under a new coach last year after an 0-3 start. They too have a very new schedule so will that provide some continued momentum for the program? 

Best of luck to all programs and here is to hoping we can have a normal year with fans in the stands! 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

Since we are here in 2021 and we have some interesting news I thought I'd get this one going. 

Clarksville is officially leaving the MSC (link). They will still play some of the conference teams (Scottsburg, Charlestown, Brownstown) but will now play some PLAC members as well (West Washington, Crawford, Perry) in addition to their traditional rivalry with Providence (who now has more of an MSC flair to their schedule as they will play Charlestown, Corydon and North Harrison). Schedule changes will be abound, which will certainly makes things different and possibly more interesting. 

From the article:

Quote

“When I took the job three years ago I think there was already some preliminary research about possibly making the move,” Clarksville athletic director Levi Carmichael said. “I think over the two-year period that I’ve been here we’ve kind of evaluated things — our enrollment’s declining, in the heyday when we were winning some conference titles in the (19)80s our enrollment was more than double what we are right now.

Clarksville has a tiny school district, and I doubt that many new homes are being built within it. As many older people stay in their homes following retirement, this limits the number of new families that will enter the district. They really should consolidate districts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also awaiting on some official word on Crawford County. At one point they had talked about going independent for football and coming back later but PLAC said no. As of about a week ago a newspaper article said they were going to stay. However according to Harrells WW, Mitchell and maybe other appeared to have dropped them. WW has Clarksville week 2 and CC listed against Eastern. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WWFan said:

Also awaiting on some official word on Crawford County. At one point they had talked about going independent for football and coming back later but PLAC said no. As of about a week ago a newspaper article said they were going to stay. However according to Harrells WW, Mitchell and maybe other appeared to have dropped them. WW has Clarksville week 2 and CC listed against Eastern. 

I believe WW and CC will play Week 8. The other game just have not been added to Harrell's site. Either the Coach or the AD has to email Mr. Harrell to update the schedule. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, qbcoach13 said:

I believe WW and CC will play Week 8. The other game just have not been added to Harrell's site. Either the Coach or the AD has to email Mr. Harrell to update the schedule. 

Ah. Guess that works. Our schedule seems to be getting changed alot this year. Looks like adding Rock Creek over Farmersburg...CC at 8 means we dropped Washington after 1 year (rather play Washington). Maybe we can get Providence down the road too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

From the article:

Clarksville has a tiny school district, and I doubt that many new homes are being built within it. As many older people stay in their homes following retirement, this limits the number of new families that will enter the district. They really should consolidate districts. 

The district is pretty locked with no where to expand (though they are building several new, large apartments). The rumor mills like to churn about a consolidation, but the history of the place resists it. It is not unrealistic to think it could happen at some point, I just don't see it in the near future. 

5 hours ago, WWFan said:

Also awaiting on some official word on Crawford County. At one point they had talked about going independent for football and coming back later but PLAC said no. As of about a week ago a newspaper article said they were going to stay. However according to Harrells WW, Mitchell and maybe other appeared to have dropped them. WW has Clarksville week 2 and CC listed against Eastern. 

I am pretty sure the board voted against them leaving the PLAC. The nice thing for them is the PLAC is small so they have plenty of opportunities to schedule as they please for half of their schedule. I think that was the issue for Clarksville, particularly in football. Not only were they the smallest school, but the size of the conference left them with no out of conference games, except with their rival, Providence.

2 hours ago, WWFan said:

Ah. Guess that works. Our schedule seems to be getting changed alot this year. Looks like adding Rock Creek over Farmersburg...CC at 8 means we dropped Washington after 1 year (rather play Washington). Maybe we can get Providence down the road too

Providence's schedule is always changing. I am surprised they haven't worked out a game with you guys yet. I think it'd be a great annual matchup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WWFan said:

Ah. Guess that works. Our schedule seems to be getting changed alot this year. Looks like adding Rock Creek over Farmersburg...CC at 8 means we dropped Washington after 1 year (rather play Washington). Maybe we can get Providence down the road too

Washington wanted out. I believe something to do with their conference and conference schedule. If CC is in the PLAC then we have to play them or we have no chance of being a conference champion or getting player all conference accolades. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

It is behind a paywall, but the Madison Courier ran an article suggesting it was the time for them to join the MSC with the departure of Clarksville. Geographically it does make sense. Enrollment wise it does as well. They'd be at the upper echelon of the enrollments for the conference, but still 100 or so students below Silver Creek.

Thoughts? 

Edited by boilerfan87
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, boilerfan87 said:

It is behind a paywall, but the Madison Courier ran an article suggesting it was the time for them to join the MSC with the departure of Clarksville. Geographically it does make sense. Enrollment wise it does as well. They'd be at the upper echelon of the enrollments for the conference, but still 100 or so students below Silver Creek.

Thoughts? 

I think the absolute best thing for Madison is to be independent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

I think the absolute best thing for Madison is to be independent.

Why is that? I can certainly see the point in football just because of what I discussed prior in this thread with the lack of flexibility in the schedule because of the number of teams. But it may also make for a difficult time filling the schedule being indepedent. I think in basketball and other sports it could be a great fit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

Why is that? I can certainly see the point in football just because of what I discussed prior in this thread with the lack of flexibility in the schedule because of the number of teams. But it may also make for a difficult time filling the schedule being indepedent. I think in basketball and other sports it could be a great fit. 

The good thing Madison has going for it is that it borders the EIAC, the HHC, and the MSC, and all of those conferences have openings mid-season. Madison is also capable of scheduling Kentucky schools. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Where are all the pre season predictions?  I believe both conferences will be tight at the top, with multiple teams looking for the crown.  Here's my pre season picks!!  (for what its worth)

Mid Southern                                                                                                                                   PLAC

Creek   (on a roll in everything)                                                                                                      WW  (young, but kids used to winning)                                                                    

North Harrison  (big up front, defense the key)                                                                            Paoli/ Mitchell/ PC   (could all win it)

Charlestown/Brownstown/Salem  (3 way tie, lots of ?)                                                                Springs Valley   (climbing the ladder)

Corydon  (biggest sleeper on the list)                                                                                            CC   (who knows?)

Scottsburg  (improves again)

Eastern

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I had to pick a PLAC champ I'd slide toward Paoli. WW and PC lost a ton. I'm also just don't know enough about Lowery to picture our team. Who takes over at QB? 5 new OL. I like alot of the kids. Roberts, Chase, McPheeters, Holloway ect. But new system and I'd assume we will struggle early. 

Looking forward to my first chance to see the new team

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you are correct about WW.  It's hard to tell at this point.  I have watched them scrimmage a couple times.  I think the big thing will be Coach trying to figure out what is gonna work for this team.  One thing is for sure, Lowery will figure it out.  He's a winner.  They will probably struggle early to find what works, but he can deliver great football.  It will take time.  He has a lot of youth, but some talent for sure from what I have seen.  Plus a great staff around him from top to bottom.  Interested in what some of the other MSC/ Plac teams have coming into the season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll stop short of predicting the order of finish of either league, but I think Creek's losses will be too much for them to overcome to regain the MSC crown. I think it will be wide open, perhaps as much as it has been in years. But I still think it will be one of Charlestown, Brownstown or North Harrison. I do not know what Salem lost versus what they return, though. My understanding was that Corydon had quite a bit of losses in their senior class, but they do return some talented skill guys. I also do not know what Scottsburg returns. Did Salem ever pick up a week 5 game? 

I do think Paoli has to be the favorite in the PLAC but Perry may challenge. I think WW will be in good shape in the long run with Lowery, but since they lost a ton, it may take a year to get back to where they are used to being. But they have such a foundation, it would still not surprise me if they came in and won the league again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Salem did pick Clarksville up again for that week 5 game.  Not many MSC fans on here yet, but from what I understand, the MSC is wide open.  Silver Creek did graduate some heavy skill kids, Salem also lost a great O line and QB, but return a couple of talented backs and defensive players.  I think a lot of what happens in that conference will depend on how those younger kids have matured and how quickly they can adjust to Friday nights.  I thought Scottsburg has some talented kids, they just need to limit the turnovers and penalties.  North Harrison is huge up front, Nevels will be hard to replace, but in that offense if they find a hard nosed back that can take the heavy load and lots of carries, I like their chances.  Brownstown and Charlestown always seem to find a way to be in the top of the conference.  Corydon also improved and I think could be a sleeper as well.  It is gonna be a fun year watching the MSC.  Paoli has a big senior class from what I understand, and Mitchell is much improved.  WW and Perry had great graduating classes, so once again the youngsters will have to answer the call.  Both conferences should be very competitive.  Can't wait for it to begin!!  2 weeks till kickoff!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I work with a lady who's son is a senior at Paoli. Think she said 17 seniors. Curious how mitchell looks. Last year had a ton of guys hurt and pretty low numbers. PLAC could be pretty open. Also looking forward to Springs Valley. They could surprise some. Offense showed flashes last year. Return the QB who can play some ball. 

Not many of us left here but looking forward to making the trip to Pekin in 2 weeks!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where have all the die hard football fans in Southern Indiana gone?  I cant get a conversation going on here at all.  lol  Is there another site that everyone is posting on, or is football pre season talk just a thing of the past?  Guess we will know more and hopefully get some conversation going after tomorrow nights scrimmages.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Week 1 Pick 'em!

Crawford Co. at Switzerland Co.

Eastern Greene at Springs Valley

Mitchell at Edgewood

Paoli at Boonville

Perry Central at Tell City

West Washington at Eastern Pekin

Charlestown at Silver Creek

Clarksville at Scottsburg

Corydon at Brownstown 

Salem at North Harrison

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JQWL said:

Week 1 Pick 'em!

Crawford Co. at Switzerland Co.

Eastern Greene at Springs Valley

Mitchell at Edgewood

Paoli at Boonville

Perry Central at Tell City

West Washington at Eastern Pekin

Charlestown at Silver Creek

Clarksville at Scottsburg

Corydon at Brownstown 

Salem at North Harrison

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crawford Co. at Switzerland Co.

Eastern Greene at Springs Valley

Mitchell at Edgewood

Paoli at Boonville

Perry Central at Tell City

West Washington at Eastern Pekin

Charlestown at Silver Creek

Clarksville at Scottsburg

Corydon at Brownstown 

Salem at North Harrison

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crawford Co. at Switzerland Co.

Eastern Greene at Springs Valley

Mitchell at Edgewood

Paoli at Boonville

Perry Central at Tell City

West Washington at Eastern Pekin

Charlestown at Silver Creek

Clarksville at Scottsburg

Corydon at Brownstown 

Salem at North Harrison

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to Friday night! Got a hold of a roster and seen some kids not listed I was excited about and lots of new guys. Think overall team total is +5 compared to last year which is good. Looking forward to see how the new offense looks. Glad it's outta the gun. Hopefully Jr high numbers are decent. I'll be seeing youth league a few times now that they are in the PLAC league. Let's get football started!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...