Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Spuller Stadium (Northrop and Snider) will get turf...Northrop's mascot on the field.

Great to hear.  Nice stadium but the field was rough especially at the end of the season. I understand the frustration of the teachers and empathize with them. But the school is already spending a bunch of money to maintain the current field so that money will now be saved. Over the life of the field they probably aren't spending any more money with the turf than they did with grass. It's just going to someone different and different timing. The per classroom cost of the field is also probably minimal. I see they had about 29k students in the district and if you assume 30 students per classroom (SWAG), that's $1000 per classroom. That's not an insignificant amount, but it's probably smaller than most people realize. The most recent data I found for teachers was 2016-17 (https://compass.doe.in.gov/dashboard/personnel.aspx?type=corp&id=0235) and they had 2153 teachers. That breaks down to $450 per teacher. If they invested that money in raises instead, it's probably only a 1% raise.

I'm glad they are making facility upgrades, but I also hope they continue to focus on the primary function of the schools and that is education and teachers. Athletics are an important component but they are a supporting component to the overall mission of the school.

Regarding the bear at mid-field, completely understand that the Northrop folk would be in favor of that, after all the stadium is on their school's grounds.  Although, Steve Corona does mention that it's ultimately a FWCS property - and shared by two teams for football..

They could have each team's name & colors in the end zones and the schools system's name/logo at mid-field.  This stadium was built in Waco for the two public high schools whose stadiums had reached their potential. 

ISD.JPG

Kudos to Fort Wayne Community Schools and Wendy Robinson for making this happen. As much as it will pain Snider fans to have to look at a Bruin in the middle of the field during their home games, it's better than having to play on a field of mud.

In the past, playing at Northrop was home away from home for the football program and it's fans. Snider had the flags, banners, and pads on the goalposts to make it feel like home. Now that there is a Bruin in the middle of the field, all the banners and flags won't make a difference. All games moving forward for Snider will be away games. It is what it is though, I'm sure those responsible for the decision had there reasons.

Personally, I think the Bruin in the middle should be reconsidered and replaced with a FWCS logo.

10 hours ago, fbofficial said:

They could put Wendy Robinson's photo at midfield, I could care less.  I'm just happy to never have to work another game on that goat ranch they called a field.  

That is funny!  

If it is true that a donor was going to pay for it and they turned it down, then this is a fail. Yes it was needed, but FWCS isn't in a great position in any of its standings from what I have heard. Only having the Bruin at midfield is a bad choice imo. Just put a football at the 50 and put each school in the end zones and be done with it.

5 hours ago, Basementbias said:

If it is true that a donor was going to pay for it and they turned it down, then this is a fail.

I'm going to give FWCS the benefit of the doubt and pass that off as a rumor. I can't imagine them saying no to a donor, then changing their mind a few years later and forking over almost a million in taxpayer money.

Yes it was needed, but FWCS isn't in a great position in any of its standings from what I have heard.

Regardless, let's thank Wendy Robinson for making this a reality. It was a big decision on the part of FWCS.

Only having the Bruin at midfield is a bad choice imo.

I agree. A decision was made a long time ago that Snider and Northrop would share a football field. If it's Snider's field too, then why is there a Bruin in the center? They say that Snider will still be able to put up their flags and banners, but that doesn't take away from the fact that there is a mascot of their most heated rivals in the middle of the field. On one hand, I can see Snider pretending to be appreciative and continuing to bring their flags and banners. On the other hand, I wouldn't blame them for bringing nothing at all and accepting the fact that they don't have a "home" field to play on. And that's not crying over spilled milk, that's just telling your players that EVERY game is an "away" game and we will continue to win even if the game is in your backyard.

I like your idea of having a football in the center. I might also consider FWCS in the endzones. I don't like the idea of SNIDER and NORTHROP plastered in the endzones, I think that would be unfair to Northrop since the field is on their campus. What about a simple panther and bruin on either side of the 50?

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I'm going to give FWCS the benefit of the doubt and pass that off as a rumor. I can't imagine them saying no to a donor, then changing their mind a few years later and forking over almost a million in taxpayer money.

Regardless, let's thank Wendy Robinson for making this a reality. It was a big decision on the part of FWCS.

I agree. A decision was made a long time ago that Snider and Northrop would share a football field. If it's Snider's field too, then why is there a Bruin in the center? They say that Snider will still be able to put up their flags and banners, but that doesn't take away from the fact that there is a mascot of their most heated rivals in the middle of the field. On one hand, I can see Snider pretending to be appreciative and continuing to bring their flags and banners. On the other hand, I wouldn't blame them for bringing nothing at all and accepting the fact that they don't have a "home" field to play on. And that's not crying over spilled milk, that's just telling your players that EVERY game is an "away" game and we will continue to win even if the game is in your backyard.

I like your idea of having a football in the center. I might also consider FWCS in the endzones. I don't like the idea of SNIDER and NORTHROP plastered in the endzones, I think that would be unfair to Northrop since the field is on their campus. What about a simple panther and bruin on either side of the 50?

I'd say put Spuller in the end zones or have nothing in them (which looks weird on turf). Maybe a Black & Yellow cat paw and an orange & brown bear paw on each 25?