Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 4A outlook

9 hours ago, BTF said:

Are New Pal's best guys playing both ways as usual. Sorry if that's a redundant question. I feel like it was discussed in another thread. 

As a side note, Roncalli has more two way players this year than normal.  The Lauck kid is going to Iowa and should always be on the field.  6'7" 300lbs.  

Even the RB that is leading the state in rushing yards is playing LB.

11 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Since we are talking about OL, some of the other big lines in South I can think of is East Central, Mooresville, Evansville Reitz, Evansville Memorial, and I’m assuming Mt. Vernon has another big line too. However, Roncalli and New Pal arguably has the best due to a majority of them having D1 offers and what not. Exciting to see how the East Central/Roncalli game goes in a couple of weeks.

I am not as familiar with East Central as I am Roncalli, but I have heard good things. After seeing how close the Mooresville game against Decatur Central was I believe Roncalli will definitely come out of that sectional unscathed. The Roncalli/East Central game is another "how do they measure" game for me. I am still learning about the teams in 4A.

11 hours ago, BTF said:

Are New Pal's best guys playing both ways as usual. Sorry if that's a redundant question. I feel like it was discussed in another thread. 

They have quite a few guys going both ways. Coach Ralph does a good job of keeping the OL from getting too many defensive reps, but I have never seen a team so well conditioned for Iron Man football like I have seen New Pal's. Outside the first game of the season where cramps set in against Westfield, the team runs pretty deep and seems to not be phased about going both ways. I would say that about 5 or 6 right now go both ways regularly.

11 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

They have quite a few guys going both ways. Coach Ralph does a good job of keeping the OL from getting too many defensive reps, but I have never seen a team so well conditioned for Iron Man football like I have seen New Pal's. Outside the first game of the season where cramps set in against Westfield, the team runs pretty deep and seems to not be phased about going both ways. I would say that about 5 or 6 right now go both ways regularly.

Ralph always seems too get the most out of his best athletes. It's pretty impressive that they can play the whole game without running out of gas. 

15 minutes ago, BTF said:

Ralph always seems too get the most out of his best athletes. It's pretty impressive that they can play the whole game without running out of gas. 

I have been very impressed with Coach Ralph. Not only does he get his boys prepared week in and week out, but he is one of the smartest coaches in terms of film, in game adjustments, and personnel. I have been around some good coaches and I believe he is one of the best in the state. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fenderbender said:

I have Roncalli's and East Central's starters.

I have the New Pal roster, but need to work on line ups.  Do you have Memorial's and Reitz's?

Memorial’s is like

RT 6’5

RG 6’6

C 5’11

LG 6’3

LT 6’4

I’ll post the full measurement for Reitz and Memorial when I get back 

2 hours ago, MonkeyButt said:

Only two players - Blaine Nunnally (WR/DB) and Isaiah Thacker (WR/DB) - start on both sides of the ball. A number of OL rotate in at the nose (Keele/Moore/Purciful) but in the 10 years Kyle Ralph has been at NP, this is the smallest number of two-way starters they've had. They often have had quite a few in the past - the team went to the 5A title game in 2015 basically playing 15-16 players. 

• Like 1

Roncalli has from all appearances a fantastic line, with great players.  Im not familiar with alot of football from around the state other than the Northern Indiana teams; however, I did watch the last years Semi State game in which pretty much those same players did not impress me against a much...i will say again...much smaller defensive line of Fortville.  Again, I think Roncalli is a heavy favorite to win 4a, i just dont put much into size.  I was at the NorthWood V. Warsaw game last week...and NorthWoods offensive line was looking up at Warsaws D Line and Waraw's Offensive line looking down at NorthWoods D line.  I think one can plan against size.  Again, not downplaying Roncalli's size or abilities...just pointing out..."size doesnt always matter".

Edited by 00NWP

35 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Only two players - Blaine Nunnally (WR/DB) and Isaiah Thacker (WR/DB) - start on both sides of the ball. A number of OL rotate in at the nose (Keele/Moore/Purciful) but in the 10 years Kyle Ralph has been at NP, this is the smallest number of two-way starters they've had. They often have had quite a few in the past - the team went to the 5A title game in 2015 basically playing 15-16 players. 

It amazed me how they beat CG two years in a row with the amount of players going both ways. It hit me this year after realizing that this is a normal thing for NP.

30 minutes ago, 00NWP said:

Roncalli has from all appearances a fantastic line, with great players.  Im not familiar with alot of football from around the state other than the Northern Indiana teams; however, I did watch the last years Semi State game in which pretty much those same players did not impress me against a much...i will say again...much smaller defensive line of Fortville.  Again, I think Roncalli is a heavy favorite to win 4a, i just dont put much into size.  I was at the NorthWood V. Warsaw game last week...and NorthWoods offensive line was looking up at Warsaws D Line and Waraw's Offensive line looking down at NorthWoods D line.  I think one can plan against size.  Again, not downplaying Roncalli's size or abilities...just pointing out..."size doesnt always matter".

You bring up what may be Roncalli's downfall this year.

Last year Roncalli lost their #1 WR in the Chatard game due to a concussion the game prior to Mt. Vernon.  He holds every Roncalli receiving record and had two TDs against MtV the year prior and was the key deep threat that teams had to respect.  Without him, Mt. V was able to commit more to the run and won by 5 on their way to a state title.

Rocalli is still trying to replace him.   We will see if Roncali can find a passing game this season.

Size does not always matter, but good size does.  Four of those linemen were starting as Sophmores on the state title team.  (One started the year before as a Fr.)  Lauck is going to Iowa, Skartvedt to N. Illinois, and Neu to Central Michigan.

53 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

You bring up what may be Roncalli's downfall this year.

Last year Roncalli lost their #1 WR in the Chatard game due to a concussion the game prior to Mt. Vernon.  He holds every Roncalli receiving record and had two TDs against MtV the year prior and was the key deep threat that teams had to respect.  Without him, Mt. V was able to commit more to the run and won by 5 on their way to a state title.

Rocalli is still trying to replace him.   We will see if Roncali can find a passing game this season.

Size does not always matter, but good size does.  Four of those linemen were starting as Sophmores on the state title team.  (One started the year before as a Fr.)  Lauck is going to Iowa, Skartvedt to N. Illinois, and Neu to Central Michigan.

The Roncalli is no slouch. Those boys are big and can move. That is why Hansen is getting the yards he is, not to take anything away from him. Grayson Thomas in the same situation Hansen is. Great running backs with great O lines is a deadly combo. But New Pal's defense is toughest against the run. Unless Roncalli can get a passing game going they are going to struggle to score. New Pal's defense has quite a few INTs though. 

It will come down to Roncalli's defense against New Pal's offense. Can Roncalli's game plan and execution slow down one of the most balanced offensive groups in the state? Take away the run and then there's the pass game. Take away the pass and then you got to defend the run. Every team this year has stacked the box on New Pal without success. Pendleton did keep Grayson Thomas from gaining 100 yards, holding him to 85 (which is a good game anyways, but a low yardage game for Thomas), but the passing game put up 280 yds in the first half and over 300 total on only 18 total completions. And the passing game is just getting started. Not to mention the third running clock game this season.

I know that Roncalli has lost some important skill players due to graduation, but with a storied program like theirs you can't assume they aren't going to bring their best game each week. I am sure they are all about reloading and not rebuilding. If both teams make it to face each other in regional, and I predict they will, it will likely be the state championship game because who ever wins will be my choice to win all of 4A.

• Like 1

Memorial’s measurements for OL

RT 6’5 215

RG 6’6 290

C 5’11 295

LG 6’3 185 (I don’t think the weight is right for him)

LT 6’4 255

DL

DE 6’3 200

DT 6’1 205

DT 6’4 245

DE 6’4 255 or 6’2 195

Reitz’s OL is already posted, here is their DL (correct me if I am wrong, my pausing abilities are not great)

DE 6’3 245

DT 6’1 315

DT 6’2 210

DE 6’1 225

4 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

RT 6’5 215

RG 6’6 290

C 5’11 295

LT 6’4 255

DL

DE 6’3 200

DT 6’1 205

DT 6’4 245

DE 6’4 255 or 6’2 195

Reitz’s OL is already posted, here is their DL (correct me if I am wrong, my pausing abilities are not great)

DE 6’3 245

DT 6’1 315

DT 6’2 210

DE 6’1 225

In my experience I feel like 4A has bigger O lines and D lines than 6A. Weird.

9 hours ago, MonkeyButt said:

It amazed me how they beat CG two years in a row with the amount of players going both ways. It hit me this year after realizing that this is a normal thing for NP.

I think Ralph knows that the recipe for success against enrollments twice that of New Pal is to take your best athletes and keep them on the field the entire time. I don't think New Pal could play 22 different players and expect to compete with 6A schools. 

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

I think Ralph knows that the recipe for success against enrollments twice that of New Pal is to take your best athletes and keep them on the field the entire time. I don't think New Pal could play 22 different players and expect to compete with 6A schools. 

I agree. I also think playing a 6A schedule would be a true test of the Iron Man football type of team. Can New Pal beat any team in 6A on any given night? IMO yes. But running through an entire season (depending on the conference) and then getting deep into the playoffs would be quite the challenge. I'd love to see them try though. 

4 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

RT 6’5 215

RG 6’6 290

C 5’11 295

LT 6’4 255

DL

DE 6’3 200

DT 6’1 205

DT 6’4 245

DE 6’4 255 or 6’2 195

DE 6’3 245

DT 6’1 315

DT 6’2 210

DE 6’1 225

Reitz doesn’t run four down linemen. They only run three. 

30 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

In my experience I feel like 4A has bigger O lines and D lines than 6A. Weird.

Here is Memorial’s official OL

RT- 6’5 215

RG- 6’6 290

C- 5’11 295

LG- 6’3 230 

LT- 6’4 255

Our actual LG starter is like 6’2 245, but is currently sidelined due to injury. Last year’s line was very big too.