Might as well start this one up:

4A South is loaded with talent

Don’t know much about 4A North other than Kokomo, Hobart, East Noble, Northridge, Lowell and New Prairie being the familiar names I see

I have been going back and forth on 4a, but I think I have landed on New Pal as my favorite to win it. I know Brebeuf lost a lot, don’t know how Roncalli will be but I’m sure they will be one of the top teams as well. Memorial and East Central should be up there too. We will see how Kokomo does, they’re only 4 years removed from a state title appearance. 

Definitely leaving some contenders out but 4a is probably the deepest class in terms of programs who can win it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bears62 said:

I have been going back and forth on 4a, but I think I have landed on New Pal as my favorite to win it. I know Brebeuf lost a lot, don’t know how Roncalli will be but I’m sure they will be one of the top teams as well. Memorial and East Central should be up there too. We will see how Kokomo does, they’re only 4 years removed from a state title appearance. 

Definitely leaving some contenders out but 4a is probably the deepest class in terms of programs who can win it all.

Brebeuf was one of the most impressive teams I saw last year. Yes, Strickland is gone, but DL/LB were as good as any group I saw outside of Cathedral and they return three of their top five tacklers. Their QB, Buckman, is also back and they throw it all over the place (although their WR corps almost all graduated). Brebeuf and Roncalli should be a really good matchup. 

4A south should be loaded. Roncalli lost a ton, as well, but always has talent waiting in the wings. East Central is always a contender. Mt. Vernon lost a lot to the diploma - especially Slunaker & La Belle - but still has a couple pretty good playmakers, especially Burhenn. They & New Pal will meet in Week 4 and will likely be the top two contenders in their sectional. New Pal is back in 4A for the first time since winning it in 2014 and has a really talented roster with multiple Div. I prospects/commits on both sides of the ball. 

Every weekend, especially from the sectional final weekend on, should be a meat-grinder just to get to Lucas Oil. 

10 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Brebeuf was one of the most impressive teams I saw last year. Yes, Strickland is gone, but DL/LB were as good as any group I saw outside of Cathedral and they return three of their top five tacklers. Their QB, Buckman, is also back and they throw it all over the place (although their WR corps almost all graduated). Brebeuf and Roncalli should be a really good matchup. 

4A south should be loaded. Roncalli lost a ton, as well, but always has talent waiting in the wings. East Central is always a contender. Mt. Vernon lost a lot to the diploma - especially Slunaker & La Belle - but still has a couple pretty good playmakers, especially Burhenn. They & New Pal will meet in Week 4 and will likely be the top two contenders in their sectional. New Pal is back in 4A for the first time since winning it in 2014 and has a really talented roster with multiple Div. I prospects/commits on both sides of the ball. 

Every weekend, especially from the sectional final weekend on, should be a meat-grinder just to get to Lucas Oil. 

Their QB can sling it.  In the state championship game he was able to hit a number of vertical routes with the WR in stride and just over the hands of the defenders.  

If he learns from this last season and cleans up some of the ints from forcing throws, he could really make a big splash. 

watching the Buckman/Walters connection vs the Allen/Heltsley connection in that state finals game was a lot of fun 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

The pre-season favorites for the south (alphabetically)

21: Brebeuf, Mooresville, Roncalli

22: Mt Vernon, New Palestine 

23: East Central, Silver Creek

24: Jasper, Memorial, Reitz

I think the sectional winners will come from that group, and I would guess the eventual state champ as well.

3 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think the sectional winners will come from that group, and I would guess the eventual state champ as well.

Those sectional matchups are going to fun to watch in October/November. Good chance some will meet in the first round for some intriguing games

3 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Heard Reitz is concerned they haven't seen as much improvement as they hoped in their D. Can't win if you give up 35 points a game..

1 hour ago, tango said:

Heard Reitz is concerned they haven't seen as much improvement as they hoped in their D. Can't win if you give up 35 points a game..

I remember hearing some concerns on here about covering on big plays. But also have heard they are pretty fast in the backfield. Wonder what the Reitz coaches are thinking since they are projected to have improved defense.

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne. Don't sleep on the Generals. They have a good coach who is entering his third season. Wayne has some history of some very good teams with the right leadership in place. They will be battle tested playing in the SAC. They won't be ranked by season's end because the AP is mostly concerned with record and not SOS. But they very well may be one of the Top 10 teams in 4A. 

44 minutes ago, BTF said:

Wayne. Don't sleep on the Generals. They have a good coach who is entering his third season. Wayne has some history of some very good teams with the right leadership in place. They will be battle tested playing in the SAC. They won't be ranked by season's end because the AP is mostly concerned with record and not SOS. But they very well may be one of the Top 10 teams in 4A. 

Interesting comment. I agree that they have a great coach who has won various hardware at Harding and Woodlan. I would not be surprised to see a drastic turnaround at Wayne in year 3 under Haydock.