Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

PLAC-MSC 2023

58 minutes ago, salemalumpres said:

About a month away from the season getting underway.  How is everyone's teams shaping up for the season?  Heard Salem's numbers where down?  Any pre season news? 

I posted what I knew above for SV. As far as WW I wonder who is gonna replace the power backs with Roberts and Johnston gone. That's my best question for for them this offseason. 

17 hours ago, salemalumpres said:

About a month away from the season getting underway.  How is everyone's teams shaping up for the season?  Heard Salem's numbers where down?  Any pre season news? 

We're getting some injured guys back in the fold (3 guys coming back this week).. just got back from team camp, we thought that went well. BNL took it to us Saturday morning in 7 on 7, we lost some competitiveness, imo. 

It's been a great summer working with ours dudes. Wouldn't trade it. 

28 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

We're getting some injured guys back in the fold (3 guys coming back this week).. just got back from team camp, we thought that went well. BNL took it to us Saturday morning in 7 on 7, we lost some competitiveness, imo. 

It's been a great summer working with ours dudes. Wouldn't trade it. 

WW social media been dry for football info. Haven't seen anything about any 7 on 7s or camps or anything. 

WWFan you asked about the backfield for WW?  I believe it will consist of Chase QB, MCcoy at full, and Cress at half.  That is my thinking but Coach may see it differently and maybe a few surprises.  McCoy and Cress are both hard nosed kids, not maybe as big as those who graduated, but tough and shifty!  If we can get them some blocking, good things will happen!  My concern is on the defensive side?  Roberts is a tough one to replace, he made a ton of tackles last year!!  Gibby will figure it out!  Congratulations to Coach Gibson on his recent award from the IHSAA!!

31 minutes ago, salemalumpres said:

WWFan you asked about the backfield for WW?  I believe it will consist of Chase QB, MCcoy at full, and Cress at half.  That is my thinking but Coach may see it differently and maybe a few surprises.  McCoy and Cress are both hard nosed kids, not maybe as big as those who graduated, but tough and shifty!  If we can get them some blocking, good things will happen!  My concern is on the defensive side?  Roberts is a tough one to replace, he made a ton of tackles last year!!  Gibby will figure it out!  Congratulations to Coach Gibson on his recent award from the IHSAA!!

Agree on those 2. Just worry about their frames and that style. Cress being the returning rusher (not counting QB Chase) at around 300 yds. I think someone gets moved as McCoy plays alot of WR too. Maybe Hayden Morrow moves back to RB (listed as WR as a freshman last year) where he played in JR high but he also has a very small frame. Im sure they got a plan. As for defense I agree on replacing roberts will be tough. He's a good push rusher too. I do think the return of Landon Holloway from injury will be a great boost too. My biggest scrimmage attention will be who starts at OT/DE and which guys are first in rotation for them on lines. Hopefully some of the sophomores are ready out of Tussy, brookover, and Harts. Lowery does a great job of always rotating lineman and getting them playing time. Be fun to see how it plays out. Where's @JQWL with a paoli update? 🤣

41 minutes ago, WWFan said:

Agree on those 2. Just worry about their frames and that style. Cress being the returning rusher (not counting QB Chase) at around 300 yds. I think someone gets moved as McCoy plays alot of WR too. Maybe Hayden Morrow moves back to RB (listed as WR as a freshman last year) where he played in JR high but he also has a very small frame. Im sure they got a plan. As for defense I agree on replacing roberts will be tough. He's a good push rusher too. I do think the return of Landon Holloway from injury will be a great boost too. My biggest scrimmage attention will be who starts at OT/DE and which guys are first in rotation for them on lines. Hopefully some of the sophomores are ready out of Tussy, brookover, and Harts. Lowery does a great job of always rotating lineman and getting them playing time. Be fun to see how it plays out. Where's @JQWL with a paoli update? 🤣

How about I give an update this weekend? We have an 11 on 11 Friday and I should have something to write about.

The update that was promised.

Honestly I think our varsity guys have done a nice job this summer. They've really worked hard. It seems like we are young because of only having 1 senior in Trey Rominger but our juniors had to play a lot last year and that that experience has shown in practice.

Offensively:

OL-Last year to begin the season we started 4 seniors and 1 sophomore on the line but due to injures by the end of the season we had 1 senior and 4 sophomores starting. Juniors Jaxson Reynolds started all 11 games last year, Peyton Baker 7 games, Ian Drake 6 games, Coy Busick 5 games Oscar Lewellyn 2 games and we have Juniors Jeremiah Hutcheson and Jareth Nunez. I would expect our O-line will consist of 5 of these 7. At last night's scrimmage we started Reynolds, Baker, Drake, Busick and rotated Nunez and Hutch at the LT spot. Overall we did a lot of good things last night. Need to finish blocks a little better, be more physical but it was a good way to start. 

QB-We graduated all-conference QB Braxton Elliott from last year. Junior Fletcher Cole, who was all-conference last year saw some time at QB last year but was mainly a WR/Slot. He has had the majority of the reps at QB during the summer with Sophomore Cooper Spires getting the second most. These two are different. Cole is a bigger, stronger athlete who runs the ball well while Spires throws the ball a little better. They're both fairly versatile and it wouldn't surprise me to see them used at the same time.

FB-Senior Trey Rominger is 2-time all-conference and a junior all-state kid. He ran for over 1,900 last season and I'd expect him to be our fullback. He didn't carry it a ton in the scrimmage but ran well when he did. 

WR-We return our two starting WR's from last year in Juniors William Baker and Garrett Hickman. Neither had many catches last year because we didn't really throw the ball much at all. Both look more physical as they should being a year older and more confident. Junior Ashton Jones has been rotating in as well and has made a big jump physically in the past year. Hopefully we are able to get them the ball some this year.

Slotback-We graduated our two starting slotbacks from last year and Cole was our 3rd so we don't return much experience here. We have literally played 7 different kids in this spot this summer and it could be juniors Hickman and Isiah Apple. Sophomores, Dane Padgett, Treighlin Minton, Coen Brace, Tyler Hannon, Spires. Padgett is the biggest athlete in the group but honestly, I don't know who will start or if it will matter much because I do think it will be by committee, especially early. Padgett, Minton, Brace all had some nice runs last night and Hickman and Apple have looked good running the ball in practice. 

Defensively:

DL-It was kinda the same situation as the offensive line where we had to play a lot of sophomores last year due to injury. Lewellyn, and Busick played a lot and Hutcheson, Drake, Baker all rotated in a lot last year. I really think this year it will be the same group of 5 kids playing those 3 spots. 

LB-We graduated two all-conference LBs in Camron Meehan and Austin Benales but bring back ILB Rominger and OLB Reynolds who were also all-conference.  Last night we started Apple at the other OLB and Nunez at ILB. Brace and Hannon have been rotating in at ILB and I'm not sure we have settled in at who will be the guy there yet. Apple started every game at CB last year but looks comfortable in his new spot. Padgett has had some reps at OLB as well. 

DB-We graduated Elliott and all-conference DB Brandon Cook but bring back Cole at CB. Hickman has been playing the other CB and had some experience late last season and looks much more comfortable in coverage and coming up to tackle. It seems like we have had a rotation of Baker, Minton, Spires at safety. 

That's all I can think of. We only had the 1 scrimmage this summer because the one we had scheduled before dead week got rained out so we don't have a ton of data to look at.

Really looking forward to getting the season started. I think just about everyone on our schedule will be improved. Boonville lost their QB but bring back quite a bit. Their JV was impressive last year and Coach Ward does a nice job. Valley will be much better as well. Their junior/senior group has been good since they were in youth and they have a nice combination of size and skill guys. PC returns their all-state RB and they always have linemen. WW brings back Chase and some good skill guys too. Eastern Greene bring back James Lewis and Peyton Lewis. Their QB is solid and their line is huge. CC really likes their sophomore group and should be better. Mitchell improved more throughout the season than anyone we saw. Corydon lost 3 guys they really depended on and with a small senior group and new coaching staff, they will have some work to do but I thought they physically had good size when we saw them yesterday. Lot of potential there. I unfortunately don't know much about North Knox's personnel but we have struggled with them the last two seasons. Hopefully we can figure them out. Going to be a fun season!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JQWL said:

The update that was promised.

Honestly I think our varsity guys have done a nice job this summer. They've really worked hard. It seems like we are young because of only having 1 senior in Trey Rominger but our juniors had to play a lot last year and that that experience has shown in practice.

Offensively:

OL-Last year to begin the season we started 4 seniors and 1 sophomore on the line but due to injures by the end of the season we had 1 senior and 4 sophomores starting. Juniors Jaxson Reynolds started all 11 games last year, Peyton Baker 7 games, Ian Drake 6 games, Coy Busick 5 games Oscar Lewellyn 2 games and we have Juniors Jeremiah Hutcheson and Jareth Nunez. I would expect our O-line will consist of 5 of these 7. At last night's scrimmage we started Reynolds, Baker, Drake, Busick and rotated Nunez and Hutch at the LT spot. Overall we did a lot of good things last night. Need to finish blocks a little better, be more physical but it was a good way to start. 

QB-We graduated all-conference QB Braxton Elliott from last year. Junior Fletcher Cole, who was all-conference last year saw some time at QB last year but was mainly a WR/Slot. He has had the majority of the reps at QB during the summer with Sophomore Cooper Spires getting the second most. These two are different. Cole is a bigger, stronger athlete who runs the ball well while Spires throws the ball a little better. They're both fairly versatile and it wouldn't surprise me to see them used at the same time.

FB-Senior Trey Rominger is 2-time all-conference and a junior all-state kid. He ran for over 1,900 last season and I'd expect him to be our fullback. He didn't carry it a ton in the scrimmage but ran well when he did. 

WR-We return our two starting WR's from last year in Juniors William Baker and Garrett Hickman. Neither had many catches last year because we didn't really throw the ball much at all. Both look more physical as they should being a year older and more confident. Junior Ashton Jones has been rotating in as well and has made a big jump physically in the past year. Hopefully we are able to get them the ball some this year.

Slotback-We graduated our two starting slotbacks from last year and Cole was our 3rd so we don't return much experience here. We have literally played 7 different kids in this spot this summer and it could be juniors Hickman and Isiah Apple. Sophomores, Dane Padgett, Treighlin Minton, Coen Brace, Tyler Hannon, Spires. Padgett is the biggest athlete in the group but honestly, I don't know who will start or if it will matter much because I do think it will be by committee, especially early. Padgett, Minton, Brace all had some nice runs last night and Hickman and Apple have looked good running the ball in practice. 

Defensively:

DL-It was kinda the same situation as the offensive line where we had to play a lot of sophomores last year due to injury. Lewellyn, and Busick played a lot and Hutcheson, Drake, Baker all rotated in a lot last year. I really think this year it will be the same group of 5 kids playing those 3 spots. 

LB-We graduated two all-conference LBs in Camron Meehan and Austin Benales but bring back ILB Rominger and OLB Reynolds who were also all-conference.  Last night we started Apple at the other OLB and Nunez at ILB. Brace and Hannon have been rotating in at ILB and I'm not sure we have settled in at who will be the guy there yet. Apple started every game at CB last year but looks comfortable in his new spot. Padgett has had some reps at OLB as well. 

DB-We graduated Elliott and all-conference DB Brandon Cook but bring back Cole at CB. Hickman has been playing the other CB and had some experience late last season and looks much more comfortable in coverage and coming up to tackle. It seems like we have had a rotation of Baker, Minton, Spires at safety. 

That's all I can think of. We only had the 1 scrimmage this summer because the one we had scheduled before dead week got rained out so we don't have a ton of data to look at.

Really looking forward to getting the season started. I think just about everyone on our schedule will be improved. Boonville lost their QB but bring back quite a bit. Their JV was impressive last year and Coach Ward does a nice job. Valley will be much better as well. Their junior/senior group has been good since they were in youth and they have a nice combination of size and skill guys. PC returns their all-state RB and they always have linemen. WW brings back Chase and some good skill guys too. Eastern Greene bring back James Lewis and Peyton Lewis. Their QB is solid and their line is huge. CC really likes their sophomore group and should be better. Mitchell improved more throughout the season than anyone we saw. Corydon lost 3 guys they really depended on and with a small senior group and new coaching staff, they will have some work to do but I thought they physically had good size when we saw them yesterday. Lot of potential there. I unfortunately don't know much about North Knox's personnel but we have struggled with them the last two seasons. Hopefully we can figure them out. Going to be a fun season!

I hope we get more breakdowns like this from others. Good insight. I'm just hoping we can at least keep the game with you guys and Perry close this year. I'd like to see Lowery have more early success. Bowsman was 1-15 against those 2 schools in first 8 seasons before finally having breakthrough. 

My official WW breakdown for the season

QB: SR Kenton Chase is the engine to this team. Started since his sophomore season and really elevated his game last year. If the RBs can keep the focus off him I expect another big season. Primary backup has been Titan Williams and may still be if injury to chase. In the event of a blowout I expect FR Holden Russell to be the QB along with on JV. He looked good in JR high but never seen him take a snap under center. He also threw alot more then variety does so that transition will be something watch. 

RB: Gone are Ethan Roberts and Wyatt Johnston. This IMO is the biggest ? on the team. Return rushers are JR Hudson Cress and SR Greyson McCoy. Both are slight of frame between 140-150 pounds. We need a power back. Ethan and Wyatt (a soon to be college wrestler) were good at breaking arm tackles and pushing piles when lanes were clogged. SOPH Hayden Morrow played RB in jr high but was a WR last year and also about 140 pounds. I could see SOPH Jack Armstrong getting some carries or moving a kid. We will need some more ball carriers for sure. If not you may see alot more spread look to try and unload crowded boxes. 

WR/TE: Returning are JR TE Tyler Miller who got alot of PT after the injury to also returning JR TE Landon Holloway in week 4. Assuming he is healthy this will be a boost to both sides of the ball. Both are tough kids and will help in run game with their run blocking. SR WR Titan Williams returns. Big frame at 6'3". Greyson McCoy also returns and will probably see time at both WR and RB. After that it's up for grabs. We don't throw a ton so best Run Blocker may win out. Freshman class has some kids but hopefully with the improving numbers we get a full season of JV and we don't need them yet. 

OL: Interior of the line is solid. SR JG Cruz (6'4 300), SR Kaden Clunie (6'3" 230), and JR Alex Houchin (6'1" 260) should be rocks. The OT spots I believe are up for grabs. We have a lot of lineman which is good because we rotate a ton. May take a few weeks before we find a starting 5. Lots of soph with good size. I expect Zach Tussey (5'10" 260), Rolando Brookover (5'9" 270), and the Hart kids to get some looks at some point. 

DEF: Again replacing roberts at TE and Johnston at LB I think will be key battles. Most our kids go 2 ways so going to have to develop depth. As mentioned above I think returning Holloway will be big step for them. He started every game as a freshman and started 4 before his injury @Valley last year. I think it's a solid group that hopefully spent it in weight room getting stronger. 

OVR: I think we should be solid. Hoping to compete for sectional although Providence will be tough along with Eastern Greene and Springs Valley. Much improved Sectional. If we find a powerback ill feel more confident otherwise teams will clog the middle and pressure the tackles. EG did a great job of that in sectionals last year. We had to throw alot more in that game. I think we will have to open up the offense a little more if we can't find power run game. JV should be exciting. Looking forward to good freshman class mix with the size of our sophomores. Once I see a roster I'll know a little more. May have kids not playing or some transfers in (I've heard both). Scrimmages next week. We got North Harrison. Test our lines real quick. Pekin will be a test week 1 as well. About time men!! Let's here about other teams as well!!

Out of curiosity who all broadcast live or has a YouTube channel for games? 

I know WW livestreams all home games and some road if allowed and uploads to YT end of season at the latest (except Clarksville last year isn't on there). I know Valley and PC have youtube channels but don't always upload games and sometimes do Live. Anyone else? Paoli? Mitchell? I use them to chart games for stats when im bored and would give me a chance to actually watch MSC

12 hours ago, WWFan said:

Out of curiosity who all broadcast live or has a YouTube channel for games? 

I know WW livestreams all home games and some road if allowed and uploads to YT end of season at the latest (except Clarksville last year isn't on there). I know Valley and PC have youtube channels but don't always upload games and sometimes do Live. Anyone else? Paoli? Mitchell? I use them to chart games for stats when im bored and would give me a chance to actually watch MSC

At the end of basketball season, BC had started YT broadcasts of games... (that was Jack Benter induced)....

I am not sure if that'll carry over to football or not. 

4 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

At the end of basketball season, BC had started YT broadcasts of games... (that was Jack Benter induced)....

I am not sure if that'll carry over to football or not. 

Tell them it should. Haha 

12 minutes ago, JQWL said:

I don't believe we do. I've seen YouTube videos in the past where kids have done single basketball games. Maybe it was for a class.

Tell em to get to it. In all seriousness I don't understand why not. All film gets exchanged. Just gets more access to your product. Ill also never understand teams who don't let others livestream. I guess I can get it if your afraid it'll take away from your gate but I'd let them record it and post it after the fact on YT if they wanted.