Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Poteet TX JOB OPPORTUNITIES: Who wants to be an AGGIE?

My Indiana friends:   My older brother also in the business of this silly game we call Football, he is currently in Texas (for 2nd time, after stints coaching in OHIO, ENGLAND, GERMANY, good ole Military Dependent) 

His team is looking to fill multiple staff positions and asked me to post on here for anyone who is looking for a move to Texas, knows anyone who is in that market or willing to join that market.  Here is the info below:

Poteet, Texas:  3A-Division 1

Looking for football coaches with a second sport TBD, Head Basketball is a possibility\.  Teaching fields include Social Studies , Math, and Science.    Further inquiries can be sent to jnowlin@poteetisd.org 

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

My Indiana friends:   My older brother also in the business of this silly game we call Football, he is currently in Texas (for 2nd time, after stints coaching in OHIO, ENGLAND, GERMANY, good ole Military Dependent) 

His team is looking to fill multiple staff positions and asked me to post on here for anyone who is looking for a move to Texas, knows anyone who is in that market or willing to join that market.  Here is the info below:

Poteet, Texas:  3A-Division 1

Looking for football coaches with a second sport TBD, Head Basketball is a possibility\.  Teaching fields include Social Studies , Math, and Science.    Further inquiries can be sent to jnowlin@poteetisd.org 

Poteet's a little old town.  Heck, Rensselaer's bigger. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

When I first saw this I thought it was for Poteet HS in Mesquite, TX (Dallas suburb).  I didn't realize there was a town by that name, as well.  Learned something new today already!

Only ~2 hours from the coast to Corpus; South Padre's a little farther, but both are good places for a vacay.

Looks like a decent program.  Last 3 seasons winning records, looks like they been going 1 or 2 round into playoffs.

Edited by Bonecrusher
  • Like 1

Yes sir!! 

Their HC just took a new job near the TX/LA border, I want to say 5A job, so the DC got promoted to HC and my brother to OC, but as in many HS in TX, he took half the staff with him, so time to fill roles as they say 

4 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

When I first saw this I thought it was for Poteet HS in Mesquite, TX (Dallas suburb).  I didn't realize there was a town by that name, as well.  Learned something new today already!

Only ~2 hours from the coast to Corpus; South Padre's a little farther, but both are good places for a vacay.

Looks like a decent program.  Last 3 seasons winning records, looks like they been going 1 or 2 round into playoffs.

My brother-in-law played for Mesquite Poteet.  My wife is a product of North Mesquite High School back in the days of the power districts.  They were a lot like Carmel is today where they didn't, at the time, split their schools, so they ran roughshod over big school football in the state.  Even when Mesquite finally split off to create North Mesquite, the likes of Plano, Richardson, Highland Park, and Mesquite/North Mesquite had huge bodies of kids to select stellar teams from. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Yes sir!! 

Their HC just took a new job near the TX/LA border, I want to say 5A job, so the DC got promoted to HC and my brother to OC, but as in many HS in TX, he took half the staff with him, so time to fill roles as they say 

I think he headed to Nacogdoches, home of Stephen F. Austin University ... affectionately known as NacoNowhere by Texans from the larger cities.  Google it and you'll see why.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

No state income tax in Texas.

True, and I def saw that as a plus when we moved here from Indiana 17 years ago.  But boy the last few years they've really stuck it to us down here with property taxes!  My last three tax appraisals combined have not quite tripled the value of my home.  If it weren't for my homestead exemption, I would be in a bad place.  Whats the property tax situation like up there?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

True, and I def saw that as a plus when we moved here from Indiana 17 years ago.  But boy the last few years they've really stuck it to us down here with property taxes!  My last three tax appraisals combined have not quite tripled the value of my home.  If it weren't for my homestead exemption, I would be in a bad place.  Whats the property tax situation like up there?

Man you aren't kidding.  I recall when I lived in Allen, we paid out around $3,800 on property/school tax on a house value of around $145,000 ... I'm pretty sure some of it might be in that high school stadium.  Up this way, you cap out at 1% on the home.

16 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Up this way, you cap out at 1% on the home.

https://extension.purdue.edu/news/2023/03/property-tax-bills-are-increasing-a-lot-in-2023.html

The assessed valuation the government puts on my modest home, which has stayed within about $5k of what I paid for it over 20 years ago has now increased in value over the last 2 years by over $55,000.   It kind of sucks.

55 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

I would agree, they always find a way to get their (your) money.  Even though we're capped at 1%, the assessed valuation has increased quite a bit in the past two years.

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

https://extension.purdue.edu/news/2023/03/property-tax-bills-are-increasing-a-lot-in-2023.html

The assessed valuation the government puts on my modest home, which has stayed within about $5k of what I paid for it over 20 years ago has now increased in value over the last 2 years by over $55,000.   It kind of sucks.

Watch for the Orwellian statements that will be coming soon about how your taxes were "lowered."  The Indiana lawmakers just sent a bill to the governor to provide "property tax relief."

• Customer: "Hey, this hamburger costs $10.  Just yesterday, it was $5."
  • Seller: "Tell you what I'm going to do, just for you.  I'm going to lower that price down to $7.50 and help you out a bit."
  • Customer: "Gee mister, that's sure swell of you ... looking out for me like that."
  • Seller: "No problem.  Be sure to tell your friends how much we care about the customer."
  • Customer: "Sure will mister.  Thanks a lot."
  • Seller: "See you later. *in a whisper* Sucker."
  • Customer: "What was that?"
  • Seller: "Oh nothing.  See you tomorrow.  Tell your friends."

As short a time ago as February, the Ministry of Plenty had issued a promise (a ‘categorical pledge’ were the official words) that there would be no reduction of the chocolate ration during 1984. Actually, as Winston was aware, the chocolate ration was to be reduced from thirty grammes to twenty at the end of the present week. All that was needed was to substitute for the original promise a warning that it would probably be necessary to reduce the ration at some time in April.

It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grammes a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be REDUCED to twenty grammes a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours?… Was he, then, ALONE in the possession of a memory?

1984 - George Orwell

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foxbat said:

Watch for the Orwellian statements that will be coming soon about how your taxes were "lowered."

Oh, my local tax rate hasn't increased so the city politicians can crow about how they haven't "raised taxes".  It sure seems like the city and county governments (which sets the assessed valuations) are colluding with each other.

The homestead exemption here caps the tax (what you actually pay) increase at 10% of the previous year.  So if my house appraisal quadruples in a year, my tax bill will still only be 10% more than previous year.  Now there are a good number of people here who, for whatever reason, have not gone the homestead route - and many of them are in serious financial trouble.  Recently they've said "they're not increasing the tax rate", but then they just make a ridiculous appraisal on your property to make up for it.  Not exactly the same thing, but a similar mindset as the "1984" reference.

Apologies to the OP for derailing this thread.