Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NLC - 2023 Season

16 minutes ago, Bobref said:

There is no “offsides” penalty in high school football. And what’s a “petty” unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?

Well they called it, maybe a neutral zone infraction but it amounts to the same. Calling unsportsmanlike for taunting when a player starches the ball carrier at the goal like and flexes when he celebrates. Dinging them with a lineman downfield on an rpo, very questionable enforcement on that when I watched at least 3 occasions of the same thing happen with no call going the other way. I don't know what the qb said to the ref after his terrible call took points off the board so I won't speak to that I know refs have wrapping paper for skin but they deserved to hear it from the coach and they did.

14 minutes ago, alumni07 said:

refs have wrapping paper for skin

OK, I can see there’s no use having anything like an intelligent dialogue here. May I ask what the vantage point was for your observations? Sideline? Pressbox? Grandstand? Video stream?

And it’s “encroachment.” Not offsides or a neutral zone infraction. You’re welcome. 😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alumni07 said:

Well they called it, maybe a neutral zone infraction but it amounts to the same. Calling unsportsmanlike for taunting when a player starches the ball carrier at the goal like and flexes when he celebrates. Dinging them with a lineman downfield on an rpo, very questionable enforcement on that when I watched at least 3 occasions of the same thing happen with no call going the other way. I don't know what the qb said to the ref after his terrible call took points off the board so I won't speak to that I know refs have wrapping paper for skin but they deserved to hear it from the coach and they did.

I looked and neither Elkhart nor Concord has shared the Hudl video with the Indiana Football Officials Association yet. I have administrator access to the IFOA’s Hudl account. When the video gets shared, I’ll look at it and tell you what I think.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

OK, I can see there’s no use having anything like an intelligent dialogue here. May I ask what the vantage point was for your observations? Sideline? Pressbox? Grandstand? Video stream?

And it’s “encroachment.” Not offsides or a neutral zone infraction. You’re welcome. 😉

I was there 50 yardline in the stands. Also spent some time by the south goal line. 

Week 1 in the books with some unexpected outcomes in my opinion, but it was week 1.  On to week two in the non-conference portion of the season.

Elkhart at Northridge:  Last week Elkhart underperformed, which I fear may be a season long issue for them.  Northridge played well and did a fantastic job.  I may have been wrong on my initial thoughts of how Northridge would do this year….great showing for the NLC!  In this game, I think Northridge continues that trend and fairly handily defeats Elkhart. Northridge 35 Elkhart 10

Goshen at New Prairie: Goshen…well…it may be a long season (taking nothing away from Fairfield…they may have a squad down in New Paris).  New Prairie…I’m not too familiar with what they had coming back from last year, nor do I have a whole lot of info on LaPorte (other than what is in the papers).  With that said…pretty socking to me that the Slicers won that game…Good for those boys…they have had a rough couple of years.  I hope Goshen can be competitive in this game, but I don’t see it happening.  New Prairie 30 Goshen 7

Jimtown at Concord:  Jimtown preformed how I thought they would against NW.  I feel they will be at the top of the small division of the NIC.  Concord did better than I thought they would…a bit of a quarterback issue however.  I feel like this will be the best game of the week.  These two schools always show up to play one another.  I’m going to say Concord in a close game.  Concord 17 Jimtown 14

Mishawaka at Penn: Penn looked real good Friday and may be one of the best in the North this year.  I’m not sold on Mishawaka quite yet…they still have a lot of new guys playing on the line.  I don’t think Marian is very good this year and made the cavemen look way better than they are.  If this game were being played at Mishawaka…I would say that may level the field a little…but it being at Penn…I don’t see this being very close.  I think Penn’s offense will make Mishawaka play catch up…and they are not built for that.  Penn 49 Mishawaka 14

NorthWood at Portage:  Admittedly I don’t know much about Portage (other that they are hanging on to that mascot…good for them) and they play in a tough conference.  They have a new coach and some people on the boards are high on them turning things around in region.  NorthWood was a bit sloppy in the first game, but I’m sure they will square that up.  If the weather is nice of Friday…we may see the full potential of NorthWood’s offense on the turf…and that may not be a good thing for Portage.  I don’t think this will be a particularly close game.  NorthWood 56 Portage 14

Plymouth at Columbia City: You would have though Plymouth won a state championship last week…but for real…great win for the kids and the whole community!  Columbia City did what was expected and I think they have a squad again this year.  I don’t think the winning streak continues for Plymouth this week and things may get a bit out of hand.  I see CC running that offense all over Plymouth’s defense.  CC 35 Plymouth 7

Warsaw at Chesterton: Chesterton is another team from the Duneland that I don’t know much about.  They lost to Hobart, but I feel as if the Brickies are going to be pretty good this year.  Warsaw won a close one to a Michigan City and I still believe they will top the NLC this year.  A blind guess in this game will be Warsaw 28 Chesterton 14?

Wawasee at West Noble: This is it….this is the game…Wawasee is going to win this game!  I think Valley is pretty good and Wawasee may have lost, but didn’t get blown out.  I don’t know much about West Noble…other than their football field is 47 miles uphill away from their school. Even with that hike up the hill…I’m still taking the Warriors!  Wawasee 21 West Noble 14

Edited by 00NWP
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Who you got week 2?  I know North was short two great players, but if Northridge can clean up the turnovers, it's likely 35 to 0.

Granted it's a brutal first 4 week schedule, but I came away even more impressed with all aspects of this year's team than I'd imagined. 

Screenshot_20230820_194828_Chrome.jpg

Northridge

New Prairie

Concord

Penn

Northwood

Columbia City

Warsaw

West Noble

4 hours ago, 00NWP said:

Plymouth at Columbia City: You would have though Plymouth won a state championship last week…but for real…great win for the kids and the whole community!  Columbia City did what was expected and I think they have a squad again this year.  I don’t think the winning streak continues for Plymouth this week and things may get a bit out of hand.  I see CC running that offense all over Plymouth’s defense.  CC 35 Plymouth 7

I don't know how good Columbia City is.  They will probably be better than Calumet.  The Rockie Defense was very good except for one drive on Friday.  Once they adjusted Calumet couldn't do anything offensively.  I also thought that Plymouth ran the ball hard and their QB and RB's were a load to bring down.  Learning to win is hard and they passed their first test of the season.  With our numbers and only having one or two kids going both ways we will have an opportunity to wear down CC in this heat.  It sounds like they have a couple of lineman going both ways.  

We need to take care of the ball in the red zone where we turned it over twice on Friday and we need to control some clock to win.  I will take Plymouth winning 21-20.  

Edited by Plymouthfan91

On 8/19/2023 at 9:46 PM, alumni07 said:

Obvious is obvious

As promised, I’ve reviewed the video and compared it to the criticisms you voiced. Here are my impressions. But first, of course, a disclaimer.

My review was not of the Hudl video taken by the teams. Rather, it was an archived broadcast by someone called “Michiana Video.” Each medium has its shortcomings and advantages. But the bottom line is, as an IHSAA Observer, I would never evaluate a crew’s performance based on video alone. There’s simply too much important stuff that can only be appreciated in an in-person observation. So, this review is not intended to represent a complete evaluation of the crew’s performance, by any means. It’s simply my expression of what I saw on the particular video I had.

Having said that, here’s what I think.

• Overall, the crew had a fine game. Their positioning and signaling was by the book. They appeared to communicate among the crew members very well. All their penalty enforcements were done efficiently and correctly. Had I been an observer at their game, there are a few mechanics issues we’d talk about. But they are neither numerous, nor irremediable. And in this game, they did not result in any incorrect calls, as far as I could tell.
  • “Calling unsportsmanlike for taunting when a player starches the ball carrier at the goal like [sic] and flexes when he celebrates.” This was on a big play. It occurred at 10:41 of the 4th period on a failed 2 pt. try that kept it a 2 score game. The defender made a great play. Incidentally, this was a textbook example of legal forcible contact against a defenseless receiver — because the contact occurred during an attempt to tackle in which the defender wrapped up the runner. It might find its way into a training video. Unfortunately, when a tackler then stands over the player and flexes, that’s also a textbook example of taunting. I guarantee that gets called 100% of the time in high school. The officials correctly ruled the try failed and the 15 yd. penalty was enforced on the succeeding kickoff.

• “Couldn’t decide between offside and false start.” Like many fans, you don’t understand what actually happened here. But if you know what to look for, it’s clear what happened. Both the umpire and a wing official had flags prior to the snap. The umpire, because his pre-snap responsibility is the snapper and interior linemen, is focused there. He sees one move before the snap and throws his flag. At the same time, the wing official has a defender in the neutral zone, which is his area of responsibility, but not the umpire’s. It’s necessary for the two officials to communicate with one another to determine which foul occurred first. In this case they determined the encroachment by the defense caused the false start by the offense. So, only the penalty by the defense is enforced. Textbook officiating. Not indecision, just good crew communication.

• Before the next play, there was a play stoppage for what looked like a false start on the offense, but there was no signal or yardage enforcement. No idea what happened. Had I been the IHSAA observer on this game, this would have been one of the subjects of the postgame debrief. 

• “Calling a clear as day touchdown down at the 1.” I assume you’re referring to the play in the 3rd period, about 7:20. Ball was at the + 5 yd. line. The linesman does a very nice job of going to the goal line at the snap, but when the QB keep comes his way he gives up the goal line instead of backing down the goal line extended. This is an easily correctable mechanics error. Fortunately, it didn’t come back to bite him because the ball is very clearly down well short of the GL.

• I don’t know what the player said to the umpire that resulted in the unsportsmanlike conduct flag, but neither do you. Try to keep in mind that this high school football, not the NFL. There is a much lower tolerance for disrespectful remarks to game officials. The field is supposed to be an extension of the classroom, remember.

• “Garbage defensive holding that was clearly pass interference.” With 1 sec. left in 3rd period, pass incomplete down the middle, as receiver is literally tackled by the DB. From the camera view I had, it’s unclear whether the tackle started before or after the pass was thrown, but I agree it probably should have been called DPI. Difference is 5 yds. in the enforcement, so they now had 3rd and 6 instead of 3rd and 1. Fortunately, they ended up making the first down, so the discussion is basically academic. Even so, it was a close call that I believe, based on the video, was incorrect. At game speed, really close. Not “garbage.”

I certainly did not observe anything remotely unprofessional on the video I watched. In our observations, we give crews a score from 1 - 10. Based on what I saw on the video, I would have rated this crew’s performance a 7 — meaning they are on the margin between regional and semistate.

So, I guess we disagree.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/25/2023 at 6:58 AM, Coach Lou said:

Talked to a co worker who's son plays for Schmucker 8th grade team.

HE said they got beat this week by Goshen by 3 touchdowns. Said Goshen had over 40 players and were really well coached.

Maybe the future is bright for coach Wogomon at Goshen.

I don't know what's going on at Schmucker, but everyone I talk to say the 8th grade coaches are horrible. 

I don't think there were any shockers in the last week's scores.  I was pulling for Wawasee to get that win...but it didn't work out.  On to week 3 and conference games!

Wawasee at Goshen: Oddly enough, this may end up being a good game.  Two teams, not doing so well, battling it out.  I would normally take the home team in this game...but I will stick with Wawasee...eventually they will prove me right and win a game.  Wawasee 17 Goshen 10

Warsaw at Plymouth: Not a whole lot to say about this game.  I know Warsaw's offense hasn't gotten going as of yet, however, they had good opposition in the first two weeks.  I think we may see a running clock in this one.  Warsaw 49 Plymouth 7

Mishawaka at Northridge:  Mishawaka had a great 1st drive against Penn...and well...that was about it.  Northridge took a little bit to get going, but then looked good.  This game will come down to mistakes.  If Mishawaka can limit their mistakes (turnovers / false starts) I think they would be favored.  I don't think that will happen, and will take Northridge at home.  Northridge 28 Mishawaka 14

NorthWood at Concord: I don't really have a gauge on Concord as of yet...nor NorthWood.  Concord has played a common opponent in Jimtown, and I believe NorthWood played them better.  NorthWood has no run game...eventually they will have to figure that out and their defense is actually preforming better than I thought they would.  It is in my opinion, that DB is the hardest position in high school.  With NorthWood having 3 good wideouts, it is going to be difficult for teams to cover everyone and I don't think anyone in the NLC will stop the passing attack.  With that said, I think NorthWood takes this game fairly easily.  NorthWood 38 Concord 14

• Like 1

I fee like I'm writing the same thing as Week 1. Warsaw was once again very fortunate to get the victory on Friday night. Still sloppy on the offensive side of the ball, but not AS bad as the first game. The ball was still on the ground way too much. And again, the defense played lights out. The front 7 are a solid group. The secondary made improvements.

"Surprises of the night"

The end score worked itself out, but I was shocked to see Goshen hang with New Prairie. The Redhawks had the lead heading into the 2nd Quarter before the Cougars went up 22-10 at halftime. The second half only went 7-0 in favor of New Prairie. After getting blown out by Fairfield in Week 1, I expected New Prairie to have a running clock in this game. Kudos to Goshen for showing some fight.

"As predicted"

Literally no other surprises to me from Friday night. NorthWood is far and away the best team in the conference. No one has defensive secondary that will be able to contain them. I'm sorry if I'm off base here Panther fans, but anything less than an undefeated regular season and Semi-State appearance at a minimum will be a disappointment.

Wasn't shocked that Penn beat Mishawaka. The Cavemen were in that game, but the Kingsmen defense made plays when they had to. Final score was not indicative of the actual game.

Fully anticipated Concord and Northridge winning their games, and had zero faith in Plymouth and Wawasee winning their games. The Warriors will have to try and pull out a victory over these next two weeks, or they will go winless.

25 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

The end score worked itself out, but I was shocked to see Goshen hang with New Prairie. The Redhawks had the lead heading into the 2nd Quarter before the Cougars went up 22-10 at halftime. The second half only went 7-0 in favor of New Prairie. After getting blown out by Fairfield in Week 1, I expected New Prairie to have a running clock in this game. Kudos to Goshen for showing some fight.

Wogoman and Goshen had a great game plan coming into - Slow down the game. NPs second possession came with 8 minutes left on the clock in the 2nd quarter. Eventually Goshen wore down and just couldn't keep up. Goshen has a VERY nice player in that Elliot kid (without him Goshen would struggle to get a first down). If Goshen shortens the games like they did against the Cougars they will be more competitive than they should be in games

• Like 2