Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NLC - 2023 Season

36 minutes ago, US31 said:

Did Goshen get kicked out????😄

Ahhh...Goshen vs. the mighty falcons of Fairfield, I forgot to include said game.  First...I hope that Goshen turns things turned around and judging by last year, they seem to be going in the right direction (other than numbers).  Last year they were in the a lot of their games in the first half and then puttered out in the second.  Now...don't get angry...I understand the proximity of the two schools to one another, and possibly some bragging rights between friends / families, but this game should be removed from Goshen's schedule.  It does Goshen no good to schedule a school the size of Fairfield...if they win...look at me...we beat a small farm school...if you loose...you lost to a small farm school?  Anyway...rant over...Goshen 35 Fairfield 14

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its been 20ish years since Park (Brad) retired from Goshen.  I just don't understand how a program in a city the size of Goshen doesn't have a decent football team...or even a decent amount of players.  I am all in on "coaching makes a difference" but the program has had a lot of coaches since Park (one of which is currently a really good assistant at NorthWood) and nothing has changed.  Goshen has tradition, good facilities and still appears to have community support.  Anyone have any incite as to what is going on at Goshen?...and I don't think the soccer culture has anything to do with it as there is too much running involved for most football guys.

I heard it was closer to 25 kids and some of them starters.

Story I hear is many of them have decided to focus on just one sport and most of them are wrestlers which is confusing to me. When Goshen was really good most of the football players were also part of their very strong wrestling program.

I know both of those programs are not as successful as they once were.

I think highly of coach Wogomon and think he is the right guy to turn things around at Goshen.

Hopefully the Redhawks can become competitive again in the NLC as they have the right guy leading.

Edited by Coach Lou
  • Confused 1

I know nothing of what’s going on at Goshen, but when you have a mass exodus of players it’s not just “well we just wanted to focus on something else”. Maybe that’s true for a few but that’s usually a symptom of deep problems within a program when that many kids quit on their team. 

Coach Wogomon has shown the ability to turn a program around. He did it at Wawasee and look at what he did at Northridge where they had never had any real success before he arrived.

I think he is even a Goshen Grad. 

I would think Goshen Kids would want to play for someone with his track record.

Something doesn't add up.

On 8/15/2023 at 3:43 PM, 00NWP said:

Its been 20ish years since Park (Brad) retired from Goshen.  I just don't understand how a program in a city the size of Goshen doesn't have a decent football team...or even a decent amount of players.  I am all in on "coaching makes a difference" but the program has had a lot of coaches since Park (one of which is currently a really good assistant at NorthWood) and nothing has changed.  Goshen has tradition, good facilities and still appears to have community support.  Anyone have any incite as to what is going on at Goshen?...and I don't think the soccer culture has anything to do with it as there is too much running involved for most football guys.

Goshen is not the same city it was 20 years ago.  Not even close.  NW, NR, FF all have a lot of former "Goshen" families walking their halls.  I don't know how many of them are football families but a few of them are.  There is a subdivision in FF that is made up of a significant amount of former "Goshen" families.

Need a large amount of admin emphasis to overcome this.....from what I understand it just isn't there.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, US31 said:

Goshen is not the same city it was 20 years ago.  Not even close.  NW, NR, FF all have a lot of former "Goshen" families walking their halls.  I don't know how many of them are football families but a few of them are.  There is a subdivision in FF that is made up of a significant amount of former "Goshen" families.

Need a large amount of admin emphasis to overcome this.....from what I understand it just isn't there.

I looked up school size and Goshen is the 2nd largest school in the conference and almost 6A just behind Warsaw.

They were the first school in the conference with field turf and have a really nice stadium. I also hear they have a fantastic weight room although I have never seen it.

Also hired Wogomon. I would think all that would show some kind of administrative support.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Coach Lou said:

I looked up school size and Goshen is the 2nd largest school in the conference and almost 6A just behind Warsaw.

They were the first school in the conference with field turf and have a really nice stadium. I also hear they have a fantastic weight room although I have never seen it.

Also hired Wogomon. I would think all that would show some kind of administrative support.

Coaching hires and coaches on staff in building would be my primary barometer for "support".  How easy is it for you to get the people you want on staff into the building?  Is your athletic department on board with growing your program?  Or is it still scheduling you to play small schools out of "tradition"?  

I don't know a lot about the other teams in the NLC but I hope they all win except for Warsaw.  (It's a Plymouth thing!). But I think that the Rockies will get a much needed win on Friday.  Our numbers are the highest that I have seen in a while and we have some kids who have competed to get their spots and they will play their rear-ends off on Friday.  I'm looking forward to seeing this group compete.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, US31 said:

Coaching hires and coaches on staff in building would be my primary barometer for "support".  How easy is it for you to get the people you want on staff into the building?  Is your athletic department on board with growing your program?  Or is it still scheduling you to play small schools out of "tradition"?  

"Scheduling out of Tradition" I would guess you are talking about the Fairfield game. I looked it up and their other non-conference game is New Prairie.

2 hours ago, Coach Lou said:

"Scheduling out of Tradition" I would guess you are talking about the Fairfield game. I looked it up and their other non-conference game is New Prairie.

If you keep looking back you’ll see it wasn’t too long ago Goshen was playing Lake Central, St Joe, FTW Carroll, Mishawaka, Elkhart Central, etc for noncon’s.  Those were respectable matchups….New Prairie feels like that.  FF does not.

10 hours ago, PantherPride said:

I feel like until Goshen is competing for the top of the NLC and Sectional titles having 1 game against a team like Fairfield isn’t that big of deal.  The rest of their schedule is NP and the conference. Playing FF opening week is likely not holding them back. 

If I was Goshen I wouldn't like the  Fairfield game but I agree this isn't holding the program back.

I was also told the administration has hired a full time strength and conditioning coach for all of the athletic teams.

I would agree that the Fairfield game isn't holding Goshen back...unless they lose the game.  That will have an effect on the players currently on the team and those of the fence about joining the football team.  This is not a knock of Fairfield as they have come along way from playing their JV and Freshmen against Varsity teams and have a good thing going and the game for them is a good thing...If they win, its a confidence boost / preparation for smaller opponents, if they lose...its kind of the same benefits.

2 hours ago, 00NWP said:

I would agree that the Fairfield game isn't holding Goshen back...unless they lose the game.  That will have an effect on the players currently on the team and those of the fence about joining the football team.  This is not a knock of Fairfield as they have come along way from playing their JV and Freshmen against Varsity teams and have a good thing going and the game for them is a good thing...If they win, its a confidence boost / preparation for smaller opponents, if they lose...its kind of the same benefits.

I would Agree!

Love the first 2 weeks with NIC/NLC matchups.  Here's an NIC guys look:

Calumet at Plymouth:  A solid foundation left to build a good program and some good players at Calumet.  Calumet wins 21-14

Concord at Elkhart: Elkhart will have the areas best defense and worst offense.  New coaching hire sets the program back to the late Elk Memorial days.  ELK wasnt good last year when they had the North's best set of skill players and 10 returning starters on offense...they no longer have that. Small, slow and inexperienced isnt a good combination.  QB is the best player on O but he has to weapons and a brand new OL.  ELK had 11 sacks last year and I could see the 2 teams getting over 15.  Concord gets a pick 6 and 2 point conversion to win 8-6.

Jimtown at NorthWood: Northwood has the states best WR combo.  Ugly here...NW 49-7

Mish. Marian at Mishawaka: This will be the best Mish team in years led by the North's best all around player in their QB.  Mish 49-17

Northridge at North Side: Going to be a great game.  Northridge starts slow.  NS 21-17

Tippy Valley at Wawasee: No idea

Warsaw at Michigan City: MC is going to surprise you.  They may struggle against the DAC top teams and Im sure Bart will find ways to move the ball but this one isnt close...MC 49-24.  WAY WAY WAY too much speed.  QB is a stud and they have the states best RB.  Not to mention an elite defense.  OL is the only thing that keeps them out of the state championship in 5a.

Edited by Johnsnow
spelling

Whoever Goshen chooses to play in their Non-Conference schedule shouldn't matter.  They will have enough tough games in the NLC to make them battle tested for the tournament.  There is a reason that Alabama plays Middle Tennessee and South Florida.  

I hope the defections of players don't hurt them this year.

Was at the Concord game tonight. Concord was clearly the better team but needs to shore some things up. Dumb penalties definitely played a roll but the refs were pretty rough. Concord probably shouldn't try to throw the ball very much at all. Concord also seemed to get a little gassed late with key players going both ways almost let Elkhart back in the game. Elkhart will be lucky to break even in the NIC and Concord may be able to upset someone  but I don't see them as an elite team that we've seen Concord have in the past. 

Good opening week for the conference. 
- Mishawaka dominant in winning over Marian. 
-Concord edges Elkhart, 

- Northridge a little surprising in beating North, but North not having Johnson helped.

-Plymouth! Don’t look now but the Rockies have a winning record!

-Warsaw goes on the road a gets a late score to get the win and a small upset IMO. 
-Northwood gets a sloppy blowout win. I thought Jimtown did about all they could do but the difference was the Panthers just had the better athletes.  Gotta get better on penalties and run D but alot to like. 
Wawasee haven’t seen the final but I think they lost. 

Warsaw was very fortunate to get the victory last night. Very sloppy on the offensive side of the ball. I think they had 5 or 6 fumbles, and lost at least 3 of them. Cannot say enough good things about how the defense played. Their front 7 played extremely well. The secondary still has a ways to go though.

Hopefully the injuries the Tigers had (starting QB was knocked out of the game early along with some other key players) don't come back to haunt them. It seems like each of the past 3 years they have had significant injuries occur early in the season.

"Surprises of the night"

Shocked that the Pilgrims pulled off the victory. Good for them to get back into the win column.

Impressed that Northridge went to Fort Wayne and got a good win against a message board darling North Side team. Maybe after the season is finished this victory won't look as impressive, but the Legends were preseason #6 in 5A.

I can't say I was surprised that Goshen lost to Fairfield, but the final score of 29-6 made me do a bit of a double-take. I know it was mentioned on this thread that a bunch of players recently quit the team, but things do not look good in the Maple City

"As predicted"

NorthWood and Mishawaka dominating was not a surprise. They are the class of the NLC this season. I do not see the Panthers losing a game this regular season. Excited for the Cavemen matchup next week against backyard rival Penn.

Honestly - I don't know what to think about Concord this year, but I did not anticipate Elkhart being very good this season. Seeing the Minutemen pull out the victory was not much of a surprise to me. I think next week's game against the Jimmies will be more telling.

Wawasee losing to Valley wasn't a surprise at all. I anticipate the Warriors losing next week at West Noble at well, and their only 2 opportunities to win games this season will come the following weeks at Goshen then vs Plymouth. If they can't pick up a win there, they will go winless this season. It's too bad things have gotten so bleak in Syracuse.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Details?

Couldn't decide between offside and false start, stopping the game for a false start and saying it was on the refs, pretty petty unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, fla out garbage defensive holding that was clearly pass interference, calling a clear as day touchdown down at the 1, really unprofessional walking then skipping then jogging to count off penalty yards. I know it's high school and week 1 but I wouldn't want that crew in a tournament or significant conference game.