Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sagarin Ratings/IHSAA

Looking for a second opinion on this, the more the merrier. Should the Sagarin Ratings put some kind of weight on the halftime score? Should the halftime score have as much value as the final score? Would this keep some coaches from running up the score on their opponents? I know most coaches could care less about where their team is ranked. On the flip side, I'm willing to bet that most coach actually look to see where their team is ranked. Obviously, a good coach is going to rest his star players after the game is already decided, he also understands the need to get the second stringers in the game for valuable experience that will provide depth and practice for the following season. But I have a hard time believing that some coaches don't run up the score just for the sake of having a higher rating. 

Right now the Sagarin Ratings really have no value other than bragging rights. Maybe someday in the future they will if the IHSAA does the right thing and eliminates the blind draw. If that happens, I won't hold my breath since the IHSAA doesn't do anything that's not their idea, giving value to a halftime score could eliminate uncalled for embarrassing blowouts. 

I really would like to think that there aren’t actually any coaches who run up scores of high school football games for the sake of Sagarin ratings. 

And if there are, I don’t think that doing so even makes their teams better. If you can score that easily on a team, you can probably get better reps against your own guys in practice.

Besides all that, I think there’s really an argument that being underrated in Sagarin might actually be an advantage, but that’s a whole different conversation. 

Just get the running clock on and get out of there. 

I don’t think coaches are worrying about how a score will impact their Sagarin number.  But with that said it was explained to me that beating a team by too much will actually hurt your Sagarin number because the team you beat will drop by a lot and thus weaken your SOS.  So the goal is to beat the spread by not by too much if you want to worry about your rating.  

Edited by CoachGallogly
  • Like 2