Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HNAC Week 5

Hammond @ Pioneer - not sure what Hammond is going to bring but I would bet it would be a bit of size being 4a so give me them.

Glenn @ Knox - Give me Knox and by a good margin. Glenn played against a wing t offense last week and a bad one and won 12-7. Knox rolls

Laville @ Caston - Caston needs to try and stay healthy for their next 3 games. I think they can win, they have a couple of good athletes just not beat Laville.

Triton @ Culver - Trojans roll and get some confidence back and get some younger guys in and get healthy. Culver is very undisciplined this year its a different look.

Winamac @ Judson - Running clock at halftime Warrriors look towards next week vs Culver.

Hammond @ Pioneer- Hammond is currently 13th in 5a per the IFCA poll. I'll take the Panthers

Glenn @ Knox- Knox Football Team keeps to their winning ways

LaVille @ Caston- Caston is much improved from last year, but still not enough to beat the Lancers

Triton @ Culver- Trojans by a lot

Winamac @ Judson- Judson exacts retribution from last week's loss swiftly and often against the woeful warriors

23 hours ago, FinePrint said:
Friday, Sep. 15
Hammond Central at Pioneer, 7:30 pm
Glenn at Knox, 7:30 pm
LaVille at Caston ©, 7 pm
Triton at Culver ©, 7 pm
Winamac at North Judson ©, 7:30 pm

Hammond at Pioneer: Hammond has had a decent track this year being 4-0 with even a win over an Illinois team. It depends on what Pioneer team cooming out. If they cant control the pass and managed to keep their fast QB in the pocket Hammond has it. If Pioneers defense can handle that Pioneer takes it. Hammond 21 Pioneer 28

Glenn at Knox: Glenn and Knox will be a close game. I think it'll come down to who wants it the most. I think Knox will take the win. Glenn 21 Knox 28

LaVille at Caston: Caston has some amazing Linebackers, but it takes more than just that to win games. I don't think they reach 50 here, LaVille by a decent margin. LaVille 42 Caston 6

Triton at Culver: Not close again. Triton will roll past Culver. Triton 42 Culver 7

Winamac at North Judson: Will Winamac score? Will Judson reach 50? Those are the real questions here. Winamac 6 Judson 49

Hammond @ Pioneer - Taking Hammond in a close one due to their school size but could see Pioneer winning this by a score or 2. 38-33

Glenn @ Knox - Knox comes out flat but pulls away late. 35-21

Laville @ Caston - Laville wins easily. Caston could go on a 3 game win streak starting next week. 30-6

Triton @ Culver - Even with all the injuries Triton rolls. 35-7

Winamac @ Judson -  jays 60-0

I'm going to be out of town the rest of the week, so I'll make my picks today:

Hammond Central at Pioneer - I think Pioneer could win this one, but I'm going to take the Wolves in a close one.  A 5A school should never lose to a 1A school in football!  Never!  21-14

Glenn at Knox - Another rivalry game for the Redskins this week, and a preview of the new NSC.  I think Knox is the better team and they win this one at home.  28-14

LaVille at Caston - Sorry LaVille supporters, but your Lancers are not the 3rd best 2A team in Indiana.  The pollsters have it wrong this week.  A very solid team, yes.  But there have got to be at least 10 2A teams better.  No trouble with Caston this week though.  42-7

Triton at Culver - Shively should be back, but the Trojans could win this one without him.  Triton has a solid sophomore class that should compete for the conference title the next couple of years.  Triton win this one comfortably.  38-0

Winamac at North Judson - No trouble for the Jays this week.  But the running clock will keep the score from being crazy.  48-0

Sunny and middle 70s to start Friday Night Football!

Sportsmanship has a face . . . YOURS!

Stop by and support the students that make up the high school football team, band, cheer and so much more!

Here's my picks for Week 4 of HNAC action.

Hammond Central at Pioneer - Picking Pioneer to win at The Pit.  28-24

John Glenn at Knox - Feel like this is the Game of the Week.  Redskins keep this train moving down the tracks. 31-27

LaVille at Caston - Lancers have shown they are working to improve the running and passing game recently.  If they can continue to find ways to move the ball and finish drives by mixing the run/pass game, they should be able to compete much of the season.  Probably going to see running clock in second half. LaVille 38-6

Triton at Culver - With the expected return of Shively, the Trojans have no problem with the Cavs. 42-7

Winamac at North Judson - Blue Jays probably get the benefit of the running clock in this win.  38-6

as always the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

17 hours ago, RingLeader said:

Hammond Central lost to them 2 years ago

Chesterton lost to Pioneer 3 years ago

It can and does happen

I think we all know it has and does happen.  And as I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Pioneer wins this year.  I'm just saying it shouldn't happen. 

Hammond Central at Pioneer

Pioneer has been the dark horse of the conference. Being well coached and facing a 5A school only helps them get better. HC is 4-0 and has a few blowout wins, but don't think the competition was all that stiff. I think it will be a pretty good game all around, but I think size could kill in this one. HC 28 Pioneer 14

Glenn at Knox

Leading up to the start of the year, all of the hype was surrounding the Falcons. I had heard that South Central gave them some fits in their scrimmage and the first weeks really struggled, especially after the blowout loss to Riley. I hate to say, after watching their game on IHSAA Network of Culver, I felt that Knox seemed off. I don't think Knox is nearly as aggressive as what I was expecting. Hearing about Glenn's defense, I think they will be menacing after holding off the Jimmies last week. I think Knox suffers it's first loss of the season to the Falcons this week. Glenn 21 Knox 16

LaVille at Caston

Not much to say here. Caston doesn't have the depth and I agree that they could potentially pick up a few nice wins over Winamac and Culver in the upcoming weeks. LaVille 49 Caston 0

Winamac at NJSP

I have seen a game or 2 of Winamac and have a lot of questions. My first question is how they produce someone of the tallest and biggest boys height and weight wise, but are not producing at all? To spare us all of my questions about the Winamac team, I just have to wonder what it's going to take for them to get rolling? I don't think they can this week, but it just baffles me how they haven't been able to produce. Jays win this one easily. Jays 56 Warriors 0

Triton at Culver

The conference is the most competitive that it has been up to this point since its inception. Triton has lost 2 and was given a fight by Caston. I think the injury plague was what deflated the Trojans. I think last week's loss to Bremen, though, defeated the minds that think the Trojans are nothing without Shively. It proved so many wrong and I absolutely love this because that was a team last week who didn't stop fighting even though they got thrown all over the yard on. I think it also solidified Triton's sophomore class and that they should not be taken lightly because they stepped up in huge ways last week. Now it's about that iron sharpening iron going into their toughest part of their season. Trojans take it home. Triton 56 Culver 7 

On 9/12/2023 at 5:34 PM, FinePrint said:

I'm going to be out of town the rest of the week, so I'll make my picks today:

Hammond Central at Pioneer - I think Pioneer could win this one, but I'm going to take the Wolves in a close one.  A 5A school should never lose to a 1A school in football!  Never!  21-14

Glenn at Knox - Another rivalry game for the Redskins this week, and a preview of the new NSC.  I think Knox is the better team and they win this one at home.  28-14

LaVille at Caston - Sorry LaVille supporters, but your Lancers are not the 3rd best 2A team in Indiana.  The pollsters have it wrong this week.  A very solid team, yes.  But there have got to be at least 10 2A teams better.  No trouble with Caston this week though.  42-7

Triton at Culver - Shively should be back, but the Trojans could win this one without him.  Triton has a solid sophomore class that should compete for the conference title the next couple of years.  Triton win this one comfortably.  38-0

Winamac at North Judson - No trouble for the Jays this week.  But the running clock will keep the score from being crazy.  48-0

Yeah, those pollsters don't know what they are doing.

I guess they put up teams on the board and throw darts! lol

Kind of like the ping-pong balls come state tournament draw time, huh?

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

On 9/13/2023 at 11:46 AM, FinePrint said:

I think we all know it has and does happen.  And as I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Pioneer wins this year.  I'm just saying it shouldn't happen. 

C’mon man, it’s 11 on 11

it’s not 11 on 40 cause you’re 5A 

But I hear ya and see where you’re comin from

Panthers get two starters back this week who have been out all season.  Should help them down the line whether win or lose tomorrow.   Have five games to get up to speed for tourney. 

13 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Yeah, those pollsters don't know what they are doing.

I guess they put up teams on the board and throw darts! lol

Kind of like the ping-pong balls come state tournament draw time, huh?

from_the_sidelines007

It honestly feels like that at times. I think 2A is down this year so Laville is definitely a top 10 team in my opinion, but 3rd is questionable for sure. Sagarin(I know it has flaws early in the season) has them at 13th. We will see what they are truly made of in the back half of the season with the opponents coming up. Win out and 3rd in the polls doesn't get questioned. But with the quality of opponents they have had so far this year, not convinced yet.

57 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

It honestly feels like that at times. I think 2A is down this year so Laville is definitely a top 10 team in my opinion, but 3rd is questionable for sure. Sagarin(I know it has flaws early in the season) has them at 13th. We will see what they are truly made of in the back half of the season with the opponents coming up. Win out and 3rd in the polls doesn't get questioned. But with the quality of opponents they have had so far this year, not convinced yet.

I would agree that LaVille is a top 10 team this season and a questionable #3. It seems to me that a couple of weeks ago was a bit predictable to have LaVille move up in the poll. There were a bunch of teams that lost ahead of them, so with a few games under their belt, a piece of logic would have them move up.

When looking at the LaVille '23 sked, 2 of the first 5 games were against teams with a winning record.

The same can be said for the final 4 gamess . . .  Knox and JG have a winning record after 4 games.

They have not had that breakout game yet, but that quite possibly could be on the horizon in either Knox, Glenn or North Judson . . .  If they get through the regular season without a loss that becomes brand new territory.  No other LaVille team would have had two - let alone back-to-back - undefeated seasons.

Not trying to put the cart before the horse here. And, yes, I am fully aware there are still games to be played.

A lot of things have to happen before a 9-0 start to the state tournament become reality.

If it happens, good for them!

Time will tell . . .

from_the_sidelines007

• Like 1

Just going by my own eye test folks.  LaVille barely squeaked past Bremen and Triton and neither of those teams are at the top of their classes.  They just don't have that impressive win yet.  The next three weeks will tell the tale.  Right now I would see the Lancers beating Glenn, but probably not Knox or NJ.  Even then, they would still have a good shot at a sectional title if they can get past Andrean, who appears to be down a bit this year.

Triton is solid with Shively playing, but not a top 10 in 1A yet.  They'll need to beat Pioneer and compete with Knox and NJ for me to put them higher than about 15 in 1A.  And unless they beat Pioneer they'll end up the bottom half of the conference.

With a win this week Pioneer moves up in my mind, and that speaks well for LaVille too.  North Judson is definitely a top 10 1A team and I think they should win out and probably win the regional again this year.  We'll see if Triton has anything to say about that.  I hope so, but I'm skeptical.  

As I've said before, I think Knox runs the table and wins conference.  But their sectional has too many good programs in it.  I don't see them bringing home the hardware this year, although they are capable!

Just my own thoughts midway through the season.  Don't take me too seriously!  I certainly don't!!  Just throwing out some comments for discussion.  That's what this place is all about, isn't it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinePrint said:

Just going by my own eye test folks.  LaVille barely squeaked past Bremen and Triton and neither of those teams are at the top of their classes.  They just don't have that impressive win yet.  The next three weeks will tell the tale.  Right now I would see the Lancers beating Glenn, but probably not Knox or NJ.  Even then, they would still have a good shot at a sectional title if they can get past Andrean, who appears to be down a bit this year.

Triton is solid with Shively playing, but not a top 10 in 1A yet.  They'll need to beat Pioneer and compete with Knox and NJ for me to put them higher than about 15 in 1A.  And unless they beat Pioneer they'll end up the bottom half of the conference.

With a win this week Pioneer moves up in my mind, and that speaks well for LaVille too.  North Judson is definitely a top 10 1A team and I think they should win out and probably win the regional again this year.  We'll see if Triton has anything to say about that.  I hope so, but I'm skeptical.  

As I've said before, I think Knox runs the table and wins conference.  But their sectional has too many good programs in it.  I don't see them bringing home the hardware this year, although they are capable!

Just my own thoughts midway through the season.  Don't take me too seriously!  I certainly don't!!  Just throwing out some comments for discussion.  That's what this place is all about, isn't it?

I agree with everything said here. The HNAC is more competitive as far as conference matchups go this year, but I don't think the teams are as strong as they were last year if that makes sense.

If Laville can incorporate Plummer more into their run game I believe that would make them a pretty dangerous team come Oct and Nov.  Defense is fairly solid and Kicking game is already top notch.  Cannot stress enough how important it is to make high school teams drive the length of the field repeatedly.  Very tough to do. 

28 minutes ago, RingLeader said:

If Laville can incorporate Plummer more into their run game I believe that would make them a pretty dangerous team come Oct and Nov.  Defense is fairly solid and Kicking game is already top notch.  Cannot stress enough how important it is to make high school teams drive the length of the field repeatedly.  Very tough to do. 

I would agree. Kids a stud. Probably making sure he stays healthy until playoff time. We saw what happened last year when he went down. Other kid did way better than I expected, but replacing what Plummer does can't be done.

51 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I agree with everything said here. The HNAC is more competitive as far as conference matchups go this year, but I don't think the teams are as strong as they were last year if that makes sense.

Agreed! Top 5 are all pretty competitive but quality isn't the same compared to last year. And that's not meant to be a slight, the top 3 last year were just very good teams.

Knox will have a tough run at their sectional.

I see Judson winning sectional but Regional will be ROUGH if they don't get healthy. Next year, Judson will be tough!

Laville is still a good team and will compete for the sectional. 

Pioneer is continuing to make progress. I haven't seen them yet but they seem to be getting back to old.

Triton is a decent 1a team but injuries have killed them. Triton folks take the Laville words to heart but 1a to 2a is a bigger jump than you think. 

3 hours ago, RingLeader said:

Definitely agree about the kicking game. It makes a huge difference when you have to start every drive at the 20!  I wonder if Plummer could get some D1 looks as a kicker?  Probably hasn’t kicked enough field goals in high school to get the attention, but with some dedicated coaching you have to wonder if he could do it.