Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

Sectional 28: Bishop Chatard @Guerin Catholic - Round 2

On 10/23/2023 at 3:04 PM, Tin Cup said:

I think he got injured on the first drive of the game.  

They were also missing a starting OG who is also their best DL and their starting RB who ran for 325 against Brebeuf. Not sure if the RB will be back but the OG/DE has played in every game since. 

Much respect to the Guerin Eagles tonight. Even though they ended up on the wrong side (for them) of a 21-10 score they fought hard and played with a lot of toughness and heart. They lack any big play ability and that was the difference. That and Chatard’s special teams were abysmal. Punt snap went over the punters head and he fell on the ball at the 5. The defense forced a turnover on downs. The offense went nowhere. Their punt from the endzone was blocked and recovered at the 3. BCHS should have taken the safety. Hopefully it was a lesson learned. Guerin was able to punch it in for the 7-0 lead. Later in the half a high snap on a field goal resulted in a miss for the Trojans and after Chatard forced a three and out to start the second half Chatard dropped the punt which Guerin recovered. In between that mess there were two 50 yard TD passes by Chatard. A field goal cut the lead to 14-10 but Chatard took the ensuing kickoff (which went out of bounds) and drove down the field scoring on a 4th down pass. A late interception by Chatard ended the game with just a few minutes on the clock.

I thought Guerin’s front seven defensively were very stout. Going cover zero burned them on one of the long TD’s but they only gave up one long run and a few 10-15 yarders. Motly the LOS was a stalemate both ways. Not having their best receiver was a clear disadvantage for them. They might have been the second best team that Chatard has played so far this year. Losing is never easy but those boys should not hang their heads. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Just a dad said:

Much respect to the Guerin Eagles tonight. Even though they ended up on the wrong side (for them) of a 21-10 score they fought hard and played with a lot of toughness and heart. They lack any big play ability and that was the difference. That and Chatard’s special teams were abysmal. Punt snap went over the punters head and he fell on the ball at the 5. The defense forced a turnover on downs. The offense went nowhere. Their punt from the endzone was blocked and recovered at the 3. BCHS should have taken the safety. Hopefully it was a lesson learned. Guerin was able to punch it in for the 7-0 lead. Later in the half a high snap on a field goal resulted in a miss for the Trojans and after Chatard forced a three and out to start the second half Chatard dropped the punt which Guerin recovered. In between that mess there were two 50 yard TD passes by Chatard. A field goal cut the lead to 14-10 but Chatard took the ensuing kickoff (which went out of bounds) and drove down the field scoring on a 4th down pass. A late interception by Chatard ended the game with just a few minutes on the clock.

I thought Guerin’s front seven defensively were very stout. Going cover zero burned them on one of the long TD’s but they only gave up one long run and a few 10-15 yarders. Motly the LOS was a stalemate both ways. Not having their best receiver was a clear disadvantage for them. They might have been the second best team that Chatard has played so far this year. Losing is never easy but those boys should not hang their heads. 

We likely just witnessed the 3A state title game, no?

Can’t  see anyone the rest of the way playing Chatard to a 10 point game or less.

6 hours ago, PeakedinHighscool said:

image.jpeg.63ce12239791138958e65d0f237b9b28.jpeg

I wouldn’t crown them yet.   They’ve got tough games yet to play.  If they make mistakes like they did last night in another game, they may not be so fortunate.  

Congrats on a great season to Guerin.  Its a shame that game had to be in the second round, because they definitely deserved to play much later.  That was a classic catholic school football matchup and everything that was expected.  Hopefully going into next week Chatard isn't listening to the likes of this forum and buying into the hype.  Everyone can keep calling for Chatard to have a blowout each week, but these are 15-18 year old kids.  Look at those 15 state title runs, and that is rarely the case.  There is a reason they play the game each Friday, and Chatard better come prepared next week.

Guerin has a quality program and will be right back in the mix of things next year.

This Cathedral alum and fan wishes to thank Bishop Chatard for building a first class football facility and allowing the Irish to use it for a night.  It's a long way to the top of the home side, which we've never had the pleasure of using, but this 80 year old made it to the top, and more importantly made it down after the game.  It was a great view from up there and I'm hoping something can be worked out to have us back as the home team.  Also, it helped that it was one of the best night's weatherwise all season, with a beautiful Hunter's moon!😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

This Cathedral alum and fan wishes to thank Bishop Chatard for building a first class football facility and allowing the Irish to use it for a night.  It's a long way to the top of the home side, which we've never had the pleasure of using, but this 80 year old made it to the top, and more importantly made it down after the game.  It was a great view from up there and I'm hoping something can be worked out to have us back as the home team.  Also, it helped that it was one of the best night's weatherwise all season, with a beautiful Hunter's moon!😊

Just become a Chatard fan and we will save you a seat at the top every week? 

57 minutes ago, temptation said:

Who do you see as their main challenger?

I wouldn’t really know, other than looking at ratings, haven’t watched any film on the other 3A schools, I’ll watch some HH this week.  I’ve just seen enough title runs to know that you have to put together at least three good games.  And any team that makes it to state is a legitimate contender.  With that said, they are very, very hard to score on.  They’re healthy and have added another weapon to the offense with # 10.  

9 hours ago, temptation said:

Who do you see as their main challenger?

Not that you asked me but I’d consider Hamilton Heights the main challenger unless or until they are not…..if I were coaching or playing  for Chatard.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1