Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2024

Muda69

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2024-nfl-draft-ranking-the-quarterback-prospects-based-on-a-college-football-performance-formula/

I had a brilliant idea back in 2012. What if I could create a formula based on a quarterback's production in college that would give us an indication as to whether they would be successful at the NFL level?

Well, I failed. 

It turns out there is no way to predict a QB's future based on past performance because there's so much more that goes into the position than the player. There's the environment, the surrounding team, the coaching staff and a lot of luck. However, while I've never been able to crack the QB code, I've continued using my formula every year since 2012 for a simple reason: It's done a decent job, even if it doesn't have all the answers.

Basically, the formula rates quarterbacks on throwing ability, not rushing. It's broke down into three categories: against top-50 defenses, third-and-long/fourth-down situations and the red zone. After shoving all those numbers into the machine, it spits out a score for each player. That score is then taken and compared to the average score of the quarterback class being graded, which is added to the list of all the quarterbacks rated in the past.

Before we dive into further detail, let's look at the scores for the 2024 class of quarterbacks.

RANK QUARTERBACK SCHOOL FORNELLI RATING 2023 STATS

Caleb Williams

USC

8.98%

3,633 yards, 30 TD, 5 INT

J.J. McCarthy

Michigan

7.64%

2,991 yards, 22 TD, 4 INT

Jayden Daniels

LSU

2.93%

3,812 yards, 40 TD, 4 INT

Spencer Rattler

South Carolina

2.71%

3,186 yards, 19 TD, 8 INT

Bo Nix

Oregon

1.84%

4,508 yards, 45 TD, 3 INT

Austin Reed

Western Kentucky

0.71%

3,340 yards, 31 TD, 11 INT

Drake Maye

North Carolina

0.25%

3,608 yards, 24 TD, 9 INT

Michael Penix

Washington

-0.26%

4,903 yards, 36 TD, 11 INT

Sam Hartman

Notre Dame

-0.31%

2,689 yards, 24 TD, 8 INT

Jordan Travis

Florida State

-0.32%

2,756 yards, 20 TD, 2 INT

Devin Leary

Kentucky

-1.46%

2,746 yards, 25 TD, 12 INT

Kedon Slovis

BYU

-2.76%

1,716 yards, 12 TD, 6 INT

Michael Pratt

Tulane

-3.06%

2,406 yards, 22 TD, 5 INT

Joe Milton

Tennessee

-3.38%

2,813 yards, 20 TD, 5 INT

The scoring is simple. Caleb Williams checks in with a score of 8.98%, which means his score was 8.98% better than the average score of the 14 quarterbacks listed. Joe Milton's score of -3.38% means he finished 3.38% below the average. 

Of the 14 quarterbacks rated in this class, Williams and J.J. McCarthy are the only two to post scores that crack the top 20 of players graded since the 2012 class.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Just over 48 hours until the Bears franchise changing decision...

And less than 24 hours from the Bears announcing a new domed stadium on the lakefront. At this point i'm losing hope that the Bears are playing hardball to get a better tax rate in Arlington Heights and are actually considering a new lakefront stadium (likely owned by Chicago Parks Department) over controlling an entire entertainment complex in Arlington Heights. 

A lakefront stadium is appealing for sitelines, but it's a nightmare to get to for spectators because of Lake Shore Drive and the train lines.

22 hours ago, Boilernation said:

And less than 24 hours from the Bears announcing a new domed stadium on the lakefront. At this point i'm losing hope that the Bears are playing hardball to get a better tax rate in Arlington Heights and are actually considering a new lakefront stadium (likely owned by Chicago Parks Department) over controlling an entire entertainment complex in Arlington Heights. 

A lakefront stadium is appealing for sitelines, but it's a nightmare to get to for spectators because of Lake Shore Drive and the train lines.

https://stadium.chicagobears.com/

This stadium being publicly owned is a non-starter for me.  Just more fleecing of taxpayers.

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

https://stadium.chicagobears.com/

This stadium being publicly owned is a non-starter for me.  Just more fleecing of taxpayers.

You'll love this. The tax payers of Cook County still owe over $600 Million in debt for the 2002 renovation of Soldier Field. I've heard a reliable source in Chicago say the Bears are having trouble receiving financing to develop their property in Arlington Heights because of the uncertainty surrounding the property tax rates of the former Arlington Race Track. 

There is an organization in Chicago called "Friends of the Park" who actually carry some weight and will likely protest the new stadium. They successfully blocked George Lucas from building (with his own money) a $750 Million George Lucas musuem near the lakefront. He's now building in Los Angeles. 

Based on renderings it looks like the new stadium will be where the Waldron parking deck and South lot currently are. They are basically the only public parking available for Soldier Field. It'll be interesting to see how much of a nightmare it'll be to actually get to games at the current Soldier Field with the new stadium under construction. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Muda69 said:

This is nothing short of criminal, having this debt and then expecting to tack at least $2.3 billion on top of it?

This really needs to go to a ballot. I think the $4B pricetag itself also includes some massive infrastructure changes around the stadium. Possibly diverting Lake Shore Drive underground near the stadium was one of the more drastic changes I've heard.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Boilernation said:

This really needs to go to a ballot. I think the $4B pricetag itself also includes some massive infrastructure changes around the stadium. Possibly diverting Lake Shore Drive underground near the stadium was one of the more drastic changes I've heard.

I lived and worked in Chicago for over 20 years and hate this idea.  But sadly, I don't think it will go to a ballot as Johnson, Pritzker, and the McCaskeys will make sure it happens.  The Bears need to focus on pitting a good team on the field first.