Sign in to follow this  
swordfish

The Democrat's roster for a Trump - beater in 2020

Democrats Forget the Flint Water Crisis Was Caused By a Bold New Infrastructure Plan: https://reason.com/2019/07/30/flint-water-crisis-democrat-debate-infrastructure/

During the CNN presidential debate in Detroit on Tuesday, Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D–Minn.) was asked about her plan to address infrastructure, "including the water issues so that another Flint issues does not happen again." The question referred to the 2014–2017 crisis in Flint, Michigan—a city 70 miles north of Detroit where contaminated water was linked to deaths of a dozen people from Legionnaire's disease.

Klobuchar responded by proposing massive infrastructure programs that would create new jobs—and union jobs, at that. The senator was in good company: Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren also talked about the need for more public investment and more government-run programs to create economic prosperity. Both scoffed at John Delaney's contention that there was only so much the government could reasonably accomplish.

The irony, of course, is that the Flint water crisis was a direct result of precisely the kind of job-creation-focused infrastructure plan that so many of the Democratic presidential candidates feel is absolutely necessary to create economic prosperity.

As my colleague Shikha Dalmia wrote in 2016, the decision to cancel Flint's 30-year-old contract with the Detroit Water and Sewage Department (DWSD) and switch to the Karegnondi Water Authority was made in part because the new plan required the construction of an expensive pipeline. "Genesee County and Flint authorities saw the new water treatment as a public infrastructure project to create jobs in an area that has never recovered after Michigan's auto industry fled to sunnier business climes elsewhere," wrote Dalmia. The plan was pure fiscal stimulus, which is why it enjoyed the bipartisan support of Michigan's Republican Gov. Rick Snyder, Democratic State Treasurer Any Dillion, and Flint's Democratic city council.

Many in the media have parroted the absurd claim that the water crisis was caused by austerity, as if the government cared more about saving pennies than saving lives. The truth is exactly the opposite: Keeping DWSD as Flint's water provider was a cheaper option, but one that would have created zero new infrastructure jobs.

Two other notable facts: First, Flint's most pressing problem—prior to the unsafe drinking water, at least—was that its taxpayers could not afford to continue paying the pensions of city government retirees. As I wrote when the Flint water crisis story broke, "As recently as 2011, it would have cost every person in Flint $10,000 each to cover the unfunded legacy costs of the city's public employees."

Second, state employees received access to reliable, clean drinking water—in the form of water coolers—a full year earlier than everybody else in Flint. After the water problem became well-known, Flint's private residents finally began receiving safe water in the form of donations from Walmart, Coca Cola, Pepsi Co. Nestle, and other corporations.

Marianne Williamson also addressed the Flint water crisis, noting that she used to live in the wealthy Detroit suburb of Grosse Pointe, and "what happened in Flint would not have happened in Grosse Pointe." To the extent that's true, it's because no government bureaucrats have felt the need to promise massive job-creating infrastructure plans to the people of Grosse Pointe.

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Democrats Forget the Flint Water Crisis Was Caused By a Bold New Infrastructure Plan: https://reason.com/2019/07/30/flint-water-crisis-democrat-debate-infrastructure/

11 years ago, I seem to remember the mantra of shovel ready infrastructure jobs......that apparently weren't so shovel ready. 

https://www.countable.us/articles/21984-obama-signed-787-billion-stimulus-law-10-years-ago-date

It seems to me that there are basically two schools of thought here:

1. Government is the answer to all my woes.

2. Government needs to get out of my way so I can do it myself. 

19 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

11 years ago, I seem to remember the mantra of shovel ready infrastructure jobs......that apparently weren't so shovel ready. 

https://www.countable.us/articles/21984-obama-signed-787-billion-stimulus-law-10-years-ago-date

Any principled person who truly values personal freedom and responsibility would choose #2.

• Disdain 1

10 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

And we’ll have four more years of Trump.

HRC didn’t campaign in Michigan and Wisconsin.

5 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

HRC didn’t campaign in Michigan and Wisconsin.

So are saying that HRC is going to throw her hat into the ring for 2020, eventually?

• Disdain 1

25 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

But of course you are okay with Big Government paying for your joint replacements, as they eventually will do.f

5 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

But of course you are okay with Big Government paying for your joint replacements, as they eventually will do.f

Look DE, I get you don't like me and want to challenge anything I post. But I'm pretty sure we've already covered this ground. You bitch because Medicare may or may not have to shell out some cash for my healthcare at some point in the future. And in the next breath whine and cry because my vote will cause the end of Medicare. You can't have it both ways. And since you are pro having a nanny state, I can only assume your beef with me receiving Medicare is the fact that it's me, and not someone else. Which will make it even sweeter if/when I ever make it to Medicare to know that you're hopefully paying for it. 

And since we're sharing our feelings to answer your question in the Meme thread, to expand on my question, I think you are an entitled whiny little beotch who should have had his ass beat more instead of hiding behind his mommy's skirt.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Look DE, I get you don't like me and want to challenge anything I post. But I'm pretty sure we've already covered this ground. You bitch because Medicare may or may not have to shell out some cash for my healthcare at some point in the future. And in the next breath whine and cry because my vote will cause the end of Medicare. You can't have it both ways. And since you are pro having a nanny state, I can only assume your beef with me receiving Medicare is the fact that it's me, and not someone else. Which will make it even sweeter if/when I ever make it to Medicare to know that you're hopefully paying for it. 

And since we're sharing our feelings to answer your question in the Meme thread, to expand on my question, I think you are an entitled whiny little beotch who should have had his ass beat more instead of hiding behind his mommy's skirt.  

You are more than welcome to meet me in person in Seymour the next time I’m in Indiana.

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I've offered multiple times. I offered to buy the first round. You were here!

Alcohol is for friends. We will not be friendly with one another should we meet.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

lol, is this something we need to take to the Silver Dollar? 

You said-

12 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Come at me.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

You said-

Come at me.

ITG words coming from somebody supposedly hiding almost 2000 miles away in Nevada.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

58 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

I know you don't have the stones for it.

I'm not hard to find, hit me up next time you're in town.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

SF thought it was the racist Trump's fault.......

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/07/31/flint-michigan-marianne-williamson-cnn-democratic-debate-vpx.cnn

7 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

You said-

Come at me.

Image result for come at me bro

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Image result for eating popcorn gif

Image result for bernie sanders donald trump gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Muda69 said:

ITG words coming from somebody supposedly hiding almost 2000 miles away in Nevada.

Would you like to see a pay stub or check? 

2 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Would you like to see a pay stub or check? 

Yes, please.

• Disdain 1

On 7/25/2019 at 10:27 AM, Muda69 said:

Caveat Emptor.  We evil libertarians, insisting that personal responsibility and private, voluntary licensing groups could ever hope to replace a government bureaucracy.

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/THP_KleinerDiscPaper_final.pdf

Occupational licensing has been among the fastest growing labor market institutions in the United States since World War II. The evidence from the economics literature suggests that licensing has had an important influence on wage determination, benefits, employment, and prices in ways that impose net costs on society with little improvement to service quality, health, and safety. To improve occupational licensing practices, I propose four specific reforms. First, state agencies would make use of cost-benefit analysis to determine whether requests for additional occupational licensing requirements are warranted. Second, the federal government would promote the determination and adoption of best-practice models through financial incentives and better information. Third, state licensing standards would allow workers to move across state lines with a minimal cost for retraining or residency requirements. Fourth, where politically feasible, certain occupations that are licensed would be reclassified to a system of certification or no regulation. If federal, state, and local governments were to undertake these proposals, evidence suggests that employment in these regulated occupations would grow, consumer access to goods and services would expand, and prices would fall.

People who insist on official assurances that their barber isn't lethally incompetent might take heart from a Brookings proposal that voluntary certification of professional skills could replace licensing. Those who want to see a piece of paper could go to certified providers. The rest of us could take our chances with businesses we trust through experience and reputation.  Personal responsibility in the marketplace.  Imagine that!

• Disdain 1
  • Kill me now 1

On 7/31/2019 at 9:45 AM, DanteEstonia said:

You said-

Come at me.

Watch out IO!!

ITG.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Disdain 1

SF is wondering - why aren't the democrats who are bashing Obama's policies considered racist?  Any republican who does virtually the same thing certainly is.......

• Disdain 2

Poor old Joe.....

https://nypost.com/2019/08/08/latest-biden-blunder-poor-kids-are-just-as-bright-as-white-kids/

Gaffe-prone presidential hopeful Joe Biden put his foot in his mouth during an Iowa campaign stop on Thursday when he told a group of predominately Asian and Hispanic voters that “poor kids are just as bright, just as talented, as white kids.”

Biden committed the stunning blunder while speaking about education at a town hall with the Asian and Latino Coalition in Des Moines, where he’s campaigning and fundraising for the 2020 Democratic primary.

“We should challenge students in these schools and have advanced placement programs in these schools. We have this notion that somehow if you’re poor, you cannot do it,” Biden said at the event, according to video of his remarks.

“Poor kids are just as bright, just as talented, as white kids,” he added.

Biden almost immediately went into damage control mode, quickly adding: “wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids, no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.”

But President Trump’s campaign quickly seized on the tongue slip, with his “rapid response director” Andrew Clark tweeting out a video clip of the remark.

“Yikes…have fun mitigating that one,” he tweeted.

Biden walked out of the Democratic primary debates last week red-faced after he accidentally told donors to “go to Joe 30330” when he meant to tell them to “text JOE to 30330″ to donate.

On Monday, the befuddled 76-year-old bungled the locations of the El Paso and Dayton mass shootings when he expressed sympathy for the “tragic events in Houston today and also in Michigan the day before.”

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this