Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Coronavirus - a virus from eating bats, an accident or something sinister gone wrong?

swordfish

7 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Did you even have to register for the draft?

All males living in the United States, citizens, documented and undocumented immigrants included are still required to register for the draft if they are between the ages of 18 and 25. The year I was born was the last birth year that was assigned draft priority numbers. That was in 1975.

The last soldier actually drafted into Service was in 1973.

That being said, the Constitution still provides for compulsory conscription of males between the ages of 17 and 45.

Not sure how a discussion of protests during a pandemic devolved into a discussion of war, but there you have it.

Edited by gonzoron

37 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

All males living in the United States, citizens, documented and undocumented immigrants included are still required to register for the draft if they are between the ages of 18 and 25. The year I was born was the last birth year that was assigned draft priority numbers. That was in 1975.

The last soldier actually drafted into Service was in 1973.

That being said, the Constitution still provides for compulsory conscription of males between the ages of 17 and 45.

Not sure how a discussion of protests during a pandemic devolved into a discussion of war, but there you have it.

I vividly remember the day my conservative Midwestern mother turned dramatically against the war in Vietnam. It was July 1, 1970. That was the day of the Selective Service Lottery for those born in 1951. My number was 39. Up until then, I was having a great summer. Getting ready to head off to Notre Dame. Hitting > .400 in Legion ball. Had a nice job and a great girlfriend. Talk about dropping a turd in the punch bowl!

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I vividly remember the day my conservative Midwestern mother turned dramatically against the war in Vietnam. It was July 1, 1970. That was the day of the Selective Service Lottery for those born in 1951. My number was 39. Up until then, I was having a great summer. Getting ready to head off to Notre Dame. Hitting > .400 in Legion ball. Had a nice job and a great girlfriend. Talk about dropping a turd in the punch bowl!

Did you end up getting drafted? 

Had I been born October 3rd 1947 instead of October 3rd 1987. I would have been drafted into Vietnam. 

Had 2 relatives get drafted, a buddies dad, a buddies grandpa and a few others i know all got drafted. 

Edited by Ultimate Warrior

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

Did you end up receiving the dreaded letter that said "Greetings from  your President" that called you up? My number was pretty high, I think in the 200's. But by that time it was March of '75. 6 of my older cousins were not so lucky to not get called. Luckily, they all came home, although the meanest badass of them all was injured both physically and mentally. RIP David. 

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Did you end up receiving the dreaded letter that said "Greetings from  your President" that called you up? My number was pretty high, I think in the 200's. But by that time it was March of '75. 6 of my older cousins were not so lucky to not get called. Luckily, they all came home, although the meanest badass of them all was injured both physically and mentally. RIP David. 

I would clearly have been drafted but for the College student deferment rule. Incidentally, at that particular time, the student deferment was up for renewal in Congress, and it was by no means certain the deferment program would have continued. This uncertainty had 2 effects. First, it made my Mom go right off the deep end. Second, it found me enrolling in Air Force ROTC my freshman year. The following September, the student deferment ended ... for those born in 1952 or later. I had a brother born in 1952. Guess what his draft number was. Hint: 1952 was a leap year.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I would clearly have been drafted but for the College student deferment rule. Incidentally, at that particular time, the student deferment was up for renewal in Congress, and it was by no means certain the deferment program would have continued. This uncertainty had 2 effects. First, it made my Mom go right off the deep end. Second, it found me enrolling in Air Force ROTC my freshman year. The following September, the student deferment ended ... for those born in 1952 or later. I had a brother born in 1952. Guess what his draft number was. Hint: 1952 was a leap year.

My buddies grandpa got that letter the day he turned 18 (October 3rd 1965). He was a freshman at St. Joe at the time, he ended up flunking out...went to 'nam.. He came back and ended up becoming a multi millionaire.

Edited by Ultimate Warrior

18 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Liberals are in the same fantasy as their ridiculous Russia hoax. The coronavirus has a greater than 99% survival rate. If tested positive the president would receive the most  effective treatment on the planet which is hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.

• Disdain 1

From a friend of mine in PA:

I would like to present some facts that relate to our current situation with the coronavirus and the lock down.

Some people label others as selfish to want to go back to work.

Let me preface what I am about to say with this. Your perception is your reality. How we perceive something forms our opinions and beliefs. What we perceive is true to us. What situation we are in molds our perception/truth!

We know who is venerable and those persons should protect themselves by quarantining. If they don’t feel safe to go out to a restaurant, sports activity, or anywhere else they shouldn’t. Those who aren’t venerable should be able to go to work or what wherever they feel safe doing.

Apparently, there are many people who didn’t pay attention when they had math in high school.
Let me show you how percentages work. It isn’t that hard.

There are 328,200,000 persons living in the USA. That is Three Hundred twenty-eight million two hundred thousand.
That represents 100%.
To figure 10% (.10) you drop 1 zero or 32,820,000. That is Thirty-two million eight hundred twenty thousand.
To figure 1% (.01) you drop 2 zeros or 3,282,000. That is Three million two hundred eighty-two thousand.
To figure 1 tenth of 1% (.001) you drop 3 zeros or 328,200. That is Three hundred twenty-eight thousand two hundred.
To figure 5 thousandth of 1% you multiply the number by .0005 to get 164,100. That is One hundred sixty-four thousand one hundred.

So, if we end up having 164,100 persons die from the virus that is less than 5 thousandth of 1% or (.0005).

I am not making lite of those persons dying however we have nearly 2 million persons dying every year from something.

Now if I gave you the odds of 99.95% of surviving a situation would you be afraid of those odds and stay at home sheltering?
If I told you that you had a 99.95% chance of winning the lottery would you play it?
If I told you that you had a 99.95% chance of winning at roulette by playing number 13 would you play it?

There are over 30 million people whose lives are forever changed by the closing and over reacting (my opinion) to this virus. Much more than the what the virus will affect.

Those 30 Million Americans are out of work and suffering because of a little more than the common flu (my opinion)
Many more people are going to die because of being out of work or afraid to go out and have regular Dr. visits because of the hype of this virus. Many more suicides, child abuse, spousal abuse and many more things far more than the what the virus is going to harm.

We should be quarantining those that are sick, not those who are healthy (my opinion)

How many Americans went to the grocery store since the lock down?
How many Americans went to a Lowes, Home Depot or other big box store since the lock down?
How many Americans went to other “essential business” since the lock down?
My opinion is that EVERY business essential!

I would say the vast majority of us has done the above, if anyone has a different opinion, I would like to hear it and have you explain your position.

Now answer this question, how is going to one of the above business less dangerous to passing on the virus than let’s say going to purchase a car, an RV, furniture. How about playing a round of golf in the wide open, visiting a park.

Why is being around someone while you shop for groceries or building supplies different from being around someone to get your hair cut. And by the way, how does Governor Wolf keep his hair from growing over the passed 9 weeks, I would like to know because my hair has grown over 2 inches since then and I need a haircut really bad.

How does going down the isle of the grocery store in a certain direction prevent the spread of the virus. Where is the commonsense. There isn’t any?

How many of you know how many people have died from health-related issues in the USA each year?
Most people only know what is told to them from the so called “News Media”.

Here are some statistics from the CDC website for the most recent years total of 2016.

Heart Disease 635,260
Malignant neoplasms (cancer) 598,038
Chronic lower respiratory diseases 154,596
Cerebrovascular diseases (stroke related) 142,142
Alzheimer disease 116,103
Diabetes mellitus 80,058
Influenza & pneumonia 51,537
Nephritis (kidney disease) 50,046
Suicide 44,965

Coronavirus Covid-19 77,840
(this number has been artificially increased by allowing Covid-19 to be listed, without proof, that it was the actual cause of death when many of these are actually flu, pneumonia, heart disease, diabetes and other health issues) It is a huge difference of dying with the virus and dying from the virus. We are now counting all those that are dying with the virus as having died from the virus and that is a huge difference. I feel you will see the number of Influenza & pneumonia, heat disease numbers for 2020 will be lower when the final numbers are calculated by the CDC because of listing those who died from those conditions were actually listed as Coronavirus Covid-19.

There is only one person who knows when each of us is going to meet our maker and that is GOD, he is in control, not our governors or the government. Our constitution was designed to protect us from what the government is doing to us at this very moment. Wake up and let’s take our freedom back!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, swordfish said:

I would like to present some facts that relate to our current situation with the coronavirus and the lock down.

Let me preface what I am about to say with this. Your perception is your reality. How we perceive something forms our opinions and beliefs. What we perceive is true to us. What situation we are in molds our perception/truth!

We know who is venerable and those persons should protect themselves by quarantining. If they don’t feel safe to go out to a restaurant, sports activity, or anywhere else they shouldn’t. Those who aren’t venerable should be able to go to work or what wherever they feel safe doing.

Apparently, there are many people who didn’t pay attention when they had math in high school.

There are 328,200,000 persons living in the USA. That is Three Hundred twenty-eight million two hundred thousand.
That represents 100%.
To figure 10% (.10) you drop 1 zero or 32,820,000. That is Thirty-two million eight hundred twenty thousand.
To figure 1% (.01) you drop 2 zeros or 3,282,000. That is Three million two hundred eighty-two thousand.
To figure 1 tenth of 1% (.001) you drop 3 zeros or 328,200. That is Three hundred twenty-eight thousand two hundred.
To figure 5 thousandth of 1% you multiply the number by .0005 to get 164,100. That is One hundred sixty-four thousand one hundred.

So, if we end up having 164,100 persons die from the virus that is less than 5 thousandth of 1% or (.0005).

I am not making lite of those persons dying however we have nearly 2 million persons dying every year from something.

Now if I gave you the odds of 99.95% of surviving a situation would you be afraid of those odds and stay at home sheltering?
If I told you that you had a 99.95% chance of winning the lottery would you play it?
If I told you that you had a 99.95% chance of winning at roulette by playing number 13 would you play it?

There are over 30 million people whose lives are forever changed by the closing and over reacting (my opinion) to this virus. Much more than the what the virus will affect.

Those 30 Million Americans are out of work and suffering because of a little more than the common flu (my opinion)
Many more people are going to die because of being out of work or afraid to go out and have regular Dr. visits because of the hype of this virus. Many more suicides, child abuse, spousal abuse and many more things far more than the what the virus is going to harm.

We should be quarantining those that are sick, not those who are healthy (my opinion)

How many Americans went to a Lowes, Home Depot or other big box store since the lock down?

I would say the vast majority of us has done the above, if anyone has a different opinion, I would like to hear it and have you explain your position.

Now answer this question, how is going to one of the above business less dangerous to passing on the virus than let’s say going to purchase a car, an RV, furniture. How about playing a round of golf in the wide open, visiting a park.

Why is being around someone while you shop for groceries or building supplies different from being around someone to get your hair cut. And by the way, how does Governor Wolf keep his hair from growing over the passed 9 weeks, I would like to know because my hair has grown over 2 inches since then and I need a haircut really bad.

How does going down the isle of the grocery store in a certain direction prevent the spread of the virus. Where is the commonsense. There isn’t any?

How many of you know how many people have died from health-related issues in the USA each year?

Here are some statistics from the CDC website for the most recent years total of 2016.

Heart Disease 635,260
Diabetes mellitus 80,058
Suicide 44,965

(this number has been artificially increased by allowing Covid-19 to be listed, without proof, that it was the actual cause of death when many of these are actually flu, pneumonia, heart disease, diabetes and other health issues) It is a huge difference of dying with the virus and dying from the virus. We are now counting all those that are dying with the virus as having died from the virus and that is a huge difference. I feel you will see the number of Influenza & pneumonia, heat disease numbers for 2020 will be lower when the final numbers are calculated by the CDC because of listing those who died from those conditions were actually listed as Coronavirus Covid-19.

There is only one person who knows when each of us is going to meet our maker and that is GOD, he is in control, not our governors or the government. Our constitution was designed to protect us from what the government is doing to us at this very moment. Wake up and let’s take our freedom back!

Fox News is telling its employees to work from home for at least another month while its TV hosts push for businesses to reopen

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-telling-employees-home-143830262.html

The memo comes as the network's on-air personalities have for weeks been echoing President Donald's calls to reopen shuttered portions of the country, from schools to businesses. Coronavirus cases continue to rise, and models predict even more cases as states reopen early.

As Business Insider reported on April 3 — over a month ago — Fox News anchors had already been calling on the president to end lockdown efforts meant to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Fox News host Tucker Carlson claimed the government had "outsourced the decision to public health officials" and that "the public health establishment failed us badly" in recommending stay-at-home and similar orders.

On April 23, Laura Ingraham, host of "The Ingraham Angle" made a similar case that targeted Dr. Anthony Fauci, nation's leading health expert.

"If we wait for Dr. Fauci's seal of approval to reopen America, we may not have an America to reopen," she said on her Fox News show.

And on May 11, as Mediaite noted, "Fox & Friends" anchor Brian Kilmeade pushed for the economy to reopen, even as some of his colleagues urged for a more cautious approach.

"I feel so bad for these people who want to see a light at the end of the tunnel," Kilmeade said of people in states like Illinois and Pennsylvania who own gyms or dealerships but can't reopen because state orders required they remain close.

15 minutes ago, Howe said:

If tested positive the president would receive the most  effective treatment on the planet which is hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.

Best news I've heard all day.

4 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Fox News is telling its employees to work from home for at least another month while its TV hosts push for businesses to reopen

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-telling-employees-home-143830262.html

The memo comes as the network's on-air personalities have for weeks been echoing President Donald's calls to reopen shuttered portions of the country, from schools to businesses. Coronavirus cases continue to rise, and models predict even more cases as states reopen early.

As Business Insider reported on April 3 — over a month ago — Fox News anchors had already been calling on the president to end lockdown efforts meant to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Fox News host Tucker Carlson claimed the government had "outsourced the decision to public health officials" and that "the public health establishment failed us badly" in recommending stay-at-home and similar orders.

On April 23, Laura Ingraham, host of "The Ingraham Angle" made a similar case that targeted Dr. Anthony Fauci, nation's leading health expert.

"If we wait for Dr. Fauci's seal of approval to reopen America, we may not have an America to reopen," she said on her Fox News show.

And on May 11, as Mediaite noted, "Fox & Friends" anchor Brian Kilmeade pushed for the economy to reopen, even as some of his colleagues urged for a more cautious approach.

"I feel so bad for these people who want to see a light at the end of the tunnel," Kilmeade said of people in states like Illinois and Pennsylvania who own gyms or dealerships but can't reopen because state orders required they remain close.

This article cites CNN as the source 8 times yet does not show or link the memo Fox supposedly sent to employees. CNN had most liberals whipped into a frenzy over the Russia hoax, Mueller Dossier, Impeachment hoax and Kavanaugh hoax. All were complete and total lies.

• Disdain 1

16 minutes ago, Howe said:

This article cites CNN as the source 8 times yet does not show or link the memo Fox supposedly sent to employees. CNN had most liberals whipped into a frenzy over the Russia hoax, Mueller Dossier, Impeachment hoax and Kavanaugh hoax. All were complete and total lies.

Can you refute the fact that FoxNews staffers are working from home?

17 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Can you refute the fact that FoxNews staffers are working from home?

Who cares?  99.95% chance you or I WON"T get this virus.  Period.  But we shut the country down anyway.  

That represents 100%.

Heart Disease 635,260
Diabetes mellitus 80,058
Suicide 44,965

There is only one person who knows when each of us is going to meet our maker and that is GOD, he is in control, not our governors or the government. Our constitution was designed to protect us from what the government is doing to us at this very moment. Wake up and let’s take our freedom back!

Edited by swordfish

1 minute ago, swordfish said:

Who cares?  99.95% chance you or I WON"T get this virus.  Period.  But we shut the country down anyway.  

I didn't shut the country down. Speak for yourself.

42 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Best news I've heard all day.

Millions of people have been prescribed hydroxychloroquine by thousands of doctors worldwide for over 70 years.

• Disdain 1

15 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

are you catching my drift? 

No, I'm not. Can you rephrase into something that isn't gibberish?

15 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Definitely wear a mask in and outside your home given this news.

I haven't worn a mask yet. Don't plan to.

2 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

And why should you wear a mask?  Certainly there is no way you could be a carrier, right?

1 hour ago, swordfish said:

Who cares?  99.95% chance you or I WON"T get this virus.  Period.

2 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

You can do the math