Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Thoughts on the upcoming season?  Any new contenders in either conference, or the usual suspects? Any new players we should expect to hear a lot from this season? Or anything else that would be relevant to these conferences?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on contending more in the pick 'em this coming year than I did last year. And if I find myself at the bottom again, I'll just fudge the scores since I normally tally them up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My expectations for this year are that we eliminate some of the youthful mistakes from last year. With the returning starters from last year we should have plenty of offensive  options to keep the defense on their heels. Defensively I hope we can play shut-down defense all the way through our schedule like we historically have handled the early games each year. Not a coach, not a player, just my view from the stands. 

 

Coaches coach, players play, fans cheer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it appears I'll have a non coach backing me up a little. Haha. I'll be looking to how they adapt a little. End of the year last year showed Mason Armstrong and Hunter Pate develop as other options carrying the ball. Next step will be possibly adding Holden to the mix and take a step in the passing game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most coaches don't like talking about their teams but I'll do it for all the fans we have on here. Last season we finished with 23 kids. 12 of those were seniors so we initially had 11 coming back. Of those 11, one moved away before we had our banquet so I was looking at 10 kids that had finished last season. I've been recruiting pretty hard and as of now, I've had 50 kids tell me they plan to play next year. Which, in reality I'll probably get 35 of those to actually play when the season starts. And of those 35, 25 will have never played or not since youth but I'll take it. It's a much better situation than last season to start with. So when someone asks me what my goal is, my goal is to play an entire JV season. No one seems to know for sure when the last time that happened here and if we could win a handful of games on Friday night to go along with that I'd be tickled. We have to find a QB, a FB, and a RB we can count on. Keith Brooks might end up being QB. He will be a sophomore. Right now he's 6-5 and 175. Really good athlete, just needs to develop some quickness. Nolan Barker played RB a lot last year but will needs to be more consistent. He's got good size at 6-2, 195 and he's decently strong but not going to run away from anyone right now. Preston Coleman is our top returning rusher and receiver. Last year he split time between football and tennis so I never felt he got consistent practice and would be much better if he didn't play tennis. But kids like tennis I suppose. Preston has decent size at 6-0, 155 and is a good athlete. We bring back 2 OL with experience. Garrett Stout 5-9, 190 started at center all year for us and T.J. Donnelly started every game at tackle minus the ones he was out with an injury. TJ is 6-2, 215 down about 25 pounds from last year. Outside of those 2, we are going to have to find some linemen. Defensively, we graduated all of our defensive backs and linebackers. Keith Brooks started at the end of the year at OLB and probably will again this season. We bring back several defensive linemen. Zach Carlisle started at NT until he tore his ACL and MCL and meniscus week 7. He should be ready to go. He's got some size at 6-4, 410. Nolan Barker, TJ Donnelly, and Garrett Stout all started at times last year. Stout will probably move back to LB and Barker may too depending on who we will have. Other than them, we will have to find some guys that want to play and are willing to learn. It's hard to project other spots because you never truly know what a kid will look like until they get out there. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JQWL said:

Most coaches don't like talking about their teams but I'll do it for all the fans we have on here. Last season we finished with 23 kids. 12 of those were seniors so we initially had 11 coming back. Of those 11, one moved away before we had our banquet so I was looking at 10 kids that had finished last season. I've been recruiting pretty hard and as of now, I've had 50 kids tell me they plan to play next year. Which, in reality I'll probably get 35 of those to actually play when the season starts. And of those 35, 25 will have never played or not since youth but I'll take it. It's a much better situation than last season to start with. So when someone asks me what my goal is, my goal is to play an entire JV season. No one seems to know for sure when the last time that happened here and if we could win a handful of games on Friday night to go along with that I'd be tickled. We have to find a QB, a FB, and a RB we can count on. Keith Brooks might end up being QB. He will be a sophomore. Right now he's 6-5 and 175. Really good athlete, just needs to develop some quickness. Nolan Barker played RB a lot last year but will needs to be more consistent. He's got good size at 6-2, 195 and he's decently strong but not going to run away from anyone right now. Preston Coleman is our top returning rusher and receiver. Last year he split time between football and tennis so I never felt he got consistent practice and would be much better if he didn't play tennis. But kids like tennis I suppose. Preston has decent size at 6-0, 155 and is a good athlete. We bring back 2 OL with experience. Garrett Stout 5-9, 190 started at center all year for us and T.J. Donnelly started every game at tackle minus the ones he was out with an injury. TJ is 6-2, 215 down about 25 pounds from last year. Outside of those 2, we are going to have to find some linemen. Defensively, we graduated all of our defensive backs and linebackers. Keith Brooks started at the end of the year at OLB and probably will again this season. We bring back several defensive linemen. Zach Carlisle started at NT until he tore his ACL and MCL and meniscus week 7. He should be ready to go. He's got some size at 6-4, 410. Nolan Barker, TJ Donnelly, and Garrett Stout all started at times last year. Stout will probably move back to LB and Barker may too depending on who we will have. Other than them, we will have to find some guys that want to play and are willing to learn. It's hard to project other spots because you never truly know what a kid will look like until they get out there. 

Good work on the recruiting!! I'm glad to see the numbers up and hopefully the number surprises you in a good way. Hope they stick with it too. Good luck this offseason

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JQWL,

Knowing some of the challenges you have faced over the last few years, thanks for persevering and continuing to offer the opportunity to the young men of CCHS.

My own son, though never a starter, is still applying life skills that he learned at WW.

If just one young man learns the value of teamwork and that he has the ability to overcome challenges, you have performed you assignment well.

 

Coaches coach, players play, fans cheer!

Edited by SenatorFan
Unclear to whom I was responding
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 1:25 PM, JQWL said:

Most coaches don't like talking about their teams but I'll do it for all the fans we have on here. Last season we finished with 23 kids. 12 of those were seniors so we initially had 11 coming back. Of those 11, one moved away before we had our banquet so I was looking at 10 kids that had finished last season. I've been recruiting pretty hard and as of now, I've had 50 kids tell me they plan to play next year. Which, in reality I'll probably get 35 of those to actually play when the season starts. And of those 35, 25 will have never played or not since youth but I'll take it. It's a much better situation than last season to start with. So when someone asks me what my goal is, my goal is to play an entire JV season. No one seems to know for sure when the last time that happened here and if we could win a handful of games on Friday night to go along with that I'd be tickled. We have to find a QB, a FB, and a RB we can count on. Keith Brooks might end up being QB. He will be a sophomore. Right now he's 6-5 and 175. Really good athlete, just needs to develop some quickness. Nolan Barker played RB a lot last year but will needs to be more consistent. He's got good size at 6-2, 195 and he's decently strong but not going to run away from anyone right now. Preston Coleman is our top returning rusher and receiver. Last year he split time between football and tennis so I never felt he got consistent practice and would be much better if he didn't play tennis. But kids like tennis I suppose. Preston has decent size at 6-0, 155 and is a good athlete. We bring back 2 OL with experience. Garrett Stout 5-9, 190 started at center all year for us and T.J. Donnelly started every game at tackle minus the ones he was out with an injury. TJ is 6-2, 215 down about 25 pounds from last year. Outside of those 2, we are going to have to find some linemen. Defensively, we graduated all of our defensive backs and linebackers. Keith Brooks started at the end of the year at OLB and probably will again this season. We bring back several defensive linemen. Zach Carlisle started at NT until he tore his ACL and MCL and meniscus week 7. He should be ready to go. He's got some size at 6-4, 410. Nolan Barker, TJ Donnelly, and Garrett Stout all started at times last year. Stout will probably move back to LB and Barker may too depending on who we will have. Other than them, we will have to find some guys that want to play and are willing to learn. It's hard to project other spots because you never truly know what a kid will look like until they get out there. 

4

That was fall 2015.  The HC that season was a decent dude.

At Crawford, basketball players like tennis.  Elsewhere, no I don't see the correlation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been avoiding the itch to post, but it got me. Some coaches think it is taboo to post, but we are all ready for some football and there is no better distraction from the monotony of everyday than some football talk.

 

WW should be improved. All impact players are back. Work in the weightroom (after school and in AdvPE) and participation in other sports is high (addition of wrestling has created another opportunity for physical competition).

 

Defense should be the biggest leap forward, we were very young last year but talented. The youth showed most on defense where raw talent couldn't cover up inexperience and some lack in strength. Led by two strong classes (next year's Seniors and Juniors). Senior Defensive End, Caleb Murphy (FBS Scholarship Offers) is difficult to run at, on the opposite side Junior Jacob Strange is equally hard to handle. If we can funnel everything in Senior returning starting LB's Mason Armstrong and Hunter Pate should clean up on tackles. DB's will be playmakers. 

 

As the guy calling the offense, I can give you a peak into our philosophy. Take what you do best and make it your base play calling (80% of offense). Last year we were so young, but the line was good and RB was great so we fed it even more than normal. Next year we will be more multi-dimensional and better at the "extras". That being said, the 80% holds true. No need to be flashy for flashy sake. Our line, TE and RB are the backbone, The others players will be playmakers and we will make more plays than last year. Number 6 will get the ball and we will run IZ and OZ.

 

Other schools are working very hard. That is a guarantee in these conferences, teams are always improving and the coaching is strong. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing, especially the pics. Looking forward to the season, wish we could start now!

Coaches coach, players play, fans cheer!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SenatorFan said:

Thanks for sharing, especially the pics. Looking forward to the season, wish we could start now!

Coaches coach, players play, fans cheer!

My daughter takes those pictures. In my biased opinion, pretty great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to say this thread is awesome....that is all!

  • Like 2
  • Disdain 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2019 at 8:09 AM, Titan32 said:

I just want to say this thread is awesome....that is all!

It's the corner of peace for the GID. No arguing or fighting here!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely looking forward to FRIDAY NIGHTS and the 2019 FOOTBALL SEASON!!!  I know the Lions will have to replace the left side of the O Line, but return everyone else on the offensive side of the ball.  Defensively the Lions should be stout, although we will have to replace stud middle linebacker Colin McCartney...no easy task!  We have several young kids ready to step up and get some varsity minutes.  I think it could be an exciting year for SHS!!  

I’m also looking forward to keeping up with WW this year...they should have a great season as well!!  I hope my young cousin, Mason Armstrong has a tremendous senior season for the Senators!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lions 55 said:

Definitely looking forward to FRIDAY NIGHTS and the 2019 FOOTBALL SEASON!!!  I know the Lions will have to replace the left side of the O Line, but return everyone else on the offensive side of the ball.  Defensively the Lions should be stout, although we will have to replace stud middle linebacker Colin McCartney...no easy task!  We have several young kids ready to step up and get some varsity minutes.  I think it could be an exciting year for SHS!!  

I’m also looking forward to keeping up with WW this year...they should have a great season as well!!  I hope my young cousin, Mason Armstrong has a tremendous senior season for the Senators!!

I believe Mason is the real deal. He is always in the play on both sides of the ball. I like watching him play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interested to see what happens at Paoli. Great opportunity with the nice fieldhouse and nice game field and practice field. They have some great assistants, I would be surprised if one isn't a front runner for the HC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WW had an awesome time at the Brownstown Weight Meet. Thank you B-Town for putting on a great event with WW, B-Town and BNL. The kids competed in 3 lifts; power clean, squat and bench. 

WW had 3 of the top 5 lifters in the combined weight-

Michael Leach- Clean 265, Squat 500, Bench 260

Caleb Murphy- Clean 275, Squat 435, Bench 290

Jerren Roll- Clean 225, Squat 470, Bench 275

Other Notable-

Hunter Pate- Clean 265, Squat 385, Bench 250

We had several of our strongest kids not attend because of our BB team winning sectional and practicing for regional.

Bobby Stevens may have cracked the Top 7 with his current PR lifts. Clean 250, Squat 405, Bench 255

Charles Madden PR- Clean 225, Squat 364, Bench 260

Our skills guys all have quality Power Indexes and would have done in that capacity at the meet.  Notable skills guys with good numbers are Jacob Strange, Glen Rankin, Harrison Sanford, Chase Farmer and Holden Bowsman. 

Overall, very excited about our winter work. The kids are working very hard and are motivated. All players are enrolled in AdvPE and that is huge with all of our multi-sport athletes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

West Washington and Paoli do such a great job of making sure all of their athletes get in the weight room year round. I feel like the other schools in the conference just hope to have success with talented classes coming through but WW and Paoli do whatever they can to ensure they get the most out of every class. And in reality, this isn't a coaching thing necessarily. This is a school corporation/culture/community thing. #envious

Edited by JQWL
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To keep the conversation going and buy some time while we impatiently wait for some FB Competition.

 

-Pick a MSC or PLAC Team

 

-List 3 biggest impact players returning on Offense

-List 2 newcomers/expanded role players on Offense

 

-List 3 biggest impact players returning on Defense

-List 2 newcomers/expanded role players on Defense

 

-List 2 playmakers on Special Team (New or Returning)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 8, 2019 at 1:03 PM, senatorcoach72 said:

To keep the conversation going and buy some time while we impatiently wait for some FB Competition.

 

-Pick a MSC or PLAC Team

 

-List 3 biggest impact players returning on Offense

-List 2 newcomers/expanded role players on Offense

 

-List 3 biggest impact players returning on Defense

-List 2 newcomers/expanded role players on Defense

 

-List 2 playmakers on Special Team (New or Returning)

Coach I will attempt to offer some names although I don't know all the newcomers.

WW

3 impact on Offense 

Bobby Stevens, Holden Bowsman, and then I think Hunter Pate, Chase Farmer, and Mason Armstrong all have a chance to break loose when the defenses focus on stopping Bobby. 

3 on Defense

Mason Armstrong, Mason Armstrong, Mason Armstrong. Seriously I don't remember a player from previous years that was always in the mix of every play. Maybe there was, I just don't recall. Not meant to slight anyone else.

Special Teams

Bobby on KO's and punt returns and of course our place kicker (couldn't resist) unless you have another Grimes in your back pocket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charlestown

3 impact on Offense

Marion Lukes, Bo Braunecker, Devan Lukes.  Braunecker should see single coverage while teams stack the box to stop Lukes.

3 on Defense

Bo Braunecker, Deke Brown.

Special Teams

Devan Lukes

Note for PLAC personal, Braunecker is the son of one of the Braunecker's that played at Perry Central in the late 80's

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SenatorFan said:

Coach I will attempt to offer some names although I don't know all the newcomers.

WW

3 impact on Offense 

Bobby Stevens, Holden Bowsman, and then I think Hunter Pate, Chase Farmer, and Mason Armstrong all have a chance to break loose when the defenses focus on stopping Bobby. 

3 on Defense

Mason Armstrong, Mason Armstrong, Mason Armstrong. Seriously I don't remember a player from previous years that was always in the mix of every play. Maybe there was, I just don't recall. Not meant to slight anyone else.

Special Teams

Bobby on KO's and punt returns and of course our place kicker (couldn't resist) unless you have another Grimes in your back pocket. 

Only player on defense that comes to mind that was always in was Sean Keller....if that's right. Think he came from Salem and was there 2 years maybe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-Pick a MSC or PLAC Team

West Washington Senators

-List 3 biggest impact players returning on Offense

  • Caleb Murphy #78 (2020)- OT, Obviously a guy with big time college interest is an impact player. Running OZ with an OT that can overtake a guy and vertically displace them that is big. 
  • Charles Madden #58 (2021)- C, The unsung hero. This guy can overtake guys two gaps away on OZ. Super Solid relentless blocker.
  • Jacob Strange #32 (2021)- TE, Big in the run game and big in the PA Pass game. 

-List 2 newcomers/expanded role players on Offense

  • Bryce Brown #63 (2021)- OG, Started last year and made a big impact. One year older and this guy should make a big step forward and really help improve our overall offense and line. 
  • Holden Bowsman #2 (2021)- Q, Also started last year and was solid as a Sophomore. Bigger, stronger and more confident should make for a greater impact on the offense overall. 

*Obviously, I left out some big time players and they will be scoring the TD's and racking up the yards. But OL is where its at.

-List 3 biggest impact players returning on Defense

  • Not my area to comment, but overall the Defense will be better. Mike Leach- DT, Chase Farmer- DB and Mason Armstrong/Hunter Pate- LB will lead with the guys I mentioned above that play both sides of the ball. 

-List 2 newcomers/expanded role players on Defense

  • Most of the Defense will be returners. Glen Rankin will show how much he has improved from last year. 

-List 2 playmakers on Special Team (New or Returning)

  • Be solid as a team, give up no big plays or have no mishaps and that is the biggest ST Playmaking. Anything additional is gravy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Caleb Murphy was a senior this year. That's even more reason to be excited about this team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...