Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A #3 Merrillville @ 3A #1 Bishop Chatard next week

Well....let’s bring up the uncomfortable conversation many here don’t want to have.  Excuse me from droning on...and on...and on.  

And on.   

I, literally, see all these different schools (posters) beating their chests about all their great D1 players.  It’s been truly tiresome for years for me to read this....since there is no greater TEAM sport than football.  Some of you folks simply won’t shut up about them.  

Apparently we have the next Peyton Manning in Indiana as well.

Admittedly, reading the Indiana HS Football Facebook page (some friends recently...and, unfortunately, pointed me towards....and since then I have dropped several levels of IQ after reading) I saw more than a few posting that Merrillville had 12 plus D1 players (or those being recruited).

At least here, I only saw “at least” 5 D1 players mentioned.

On that same Facebook page, I saw the remark that Chatard had the “best team money can ”buy””....I think, ironically, from a Mt. Vernon Mom (Geist privilege....and a stolen Greenfield QB...).  Geist folks (HSE and Mt. Vernon) vs. self-awareness are literally matter vs. antimatter....those generally rotund and non-working Mom’s and their personal trainers exist in a totally Independent universe....admittedly a wealthy one.  They are, still, between their Pilates classes, very knowledgeable about Football in archdiocese schools...just ask them.

They have important and well-informed opinions.

I’d have hoped Chatard could have “bought” at least 1 (Dammit, we tried....just 1) Division 1 player...somehow they failed.  Neither did they steal their QB from a neighboring school.  

Well,  since Chatard doesn’t have a single D1 or even D2 player this year apparently Chatard is as cheap a date as I used to be but is ANYONE willing to recognize that football is a team sport and not about how many D1 players you can acquire?

Is ANY game more evident of the importance of that than the Chatard/Merrillville game?

THIS is what those many tiny, tiny CYO 18 player teams are all about. 

Let’s be clear, Merrillville was a total and absolute class act from everything that I saw.  I absolutely hope they kick the sh!t out of everyone from the North in 6A.  Great kids from all I could see.  But, if they got anything out of Friday night I hope they got that it’s ALL about team.

....and, yes,....a small Catholic school full of underdogs and undersized players can kick your rear end....and maybe even be one of the best 5-6 teams in the State.

By all accounts, they were last year as well.

Really, really tired about all these D1 players everyone seems to have.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

Well....let’s bring up the uncomfortable conversation many here don’t want to have.  Excuse me from droning on...and on...and on.  

And on.   

I, literally, see all these different schools (posters) beating their chests about all their great D1 players.  It’s been truly tiresome for years for me to read this....since there is no greater TEAM sport than football.  Some of you folks simply won’t shut up about them.  

Admittedly, reading the Indiana HS Football Facebook page (some friends recently...and, unfortunately, pointed me towards....and since then I have dropped several levels of IQ after reading) I saw more than a few posting that Merrillville had 12 plus D1 players (or those being recruited).

On that same Facebook page, I saw the remark that Chatard had the “best team money can ”buy””....I think, ironically, from a Mt. Vernon Mom (Geist privilege....and a stolen Greenfield QB...).  Geist folks (HSE and Mt. Vernon) vs. self-awareness are literally matter vs. antimatter....those generally rotund and non-working Mom’s and their personal trainers exist in a totally Independent universe....admittedly a wealthy one.  They are, still, between their Pilates classes, very knowledgeable about Football in archdiocese schools...just ask them.

I’d have hoped Chatard could have “bought” at least 1 (Dammit, we tried....just 1) Division 1 player...somehow they failed.  Neither did they steal their QB from a neighboring school.  

Well,  since Chatard doesn’t have a single D1 or even D2 player this year apparently Chatard is as cheap a date as I used to be but is ANYONE willing to recognize that football is a team sport and not about how many D1 players you can acquire?

Is ANY game more evident of the importance of that than the Chatard/Merrillville game?

Let’s be clear, Merrillville was a total and absolute class act from everything that I saw.  I absolutely hope they kick the sh!t out of everyone from the North in 6A.  Great kids from all I could see.  But, if they got anything out of Friday night I hope they got that it’s ALL about team.

....and, yes,....a small Catholic school full of underdogs and undersized players can kick your rear end....and maybe even be one of the best 5-6 teams in the State.

Whenever my friends with kids at Fishers (or LN... or Danville... or Noblesville...) open their mouths about Crootin Cath'lics for the X^1,000,000th time, I won't need to respond any longer. I'll just show them this post.

Thank you, @Lysander.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

And on.   

Completely agree. The talk of D1 talent is nice and it's fun to see the guys, but it doesn't guarantee success. I think Merrillville does only have 4/5 right now:

Seniors:

• JoJo Johnson to Cincinnati (possibly flipping to Michigan State). He's a standout player and had some nice plays offensively including the long TD reception.
  • Dierre Kelly (DL) to Bowling Green. I don't recall him making much of an impact on Friday night.
  • Phil Gunn (OL) to Ball State. Same as Kelly, didn't really stand out to me.

Juniors:

• Kenneth Grant (Big DL). Currently not committed. Maybe a MAC level talent at this point
  • Lavarion Logan (RB). Maybe a MAC level recruit. Wasn't overly impressed by him on Friday. I get he didn't have much running room, but he didn't show much burst/speed. Also, could end up transferring back to Chicago Mt. Carmel when they resume football next Fall. Who knows.

The one team I always think of regarding this topic is the Saginaw team that came down from Michigan to play Penn in 2002. They were absolutely loaded with D1 talent including Lamarr Woodley. Penn ended up winning 49-7. Saginaw played nearly every starter both ways and they were completely gassed. They couldn't hang with a complete Penn team that was fresh from platooning.

All along I assumed Chatard would win by about 6-10 because as you say they are a complete TEAM. That program is a well oiled machine that has complete buy in from the CYO level. 

IMO, when it's trully beneficial to have D1 talent, is when you're already a full functioning team and one or a few D1 recruits add the extra layer. Off the top of my head, guys like Jeff Samardzija, Jeremy Finch, Darren Evans, Sheldon Day, James Banks and Jaylon Smith took Valpo, Warren Central, Ben Davis, and Bishop Luers to an entirely different level. 

Edited by Boilernation
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lysander said:

On that same Facebook page, I saw the remark that Chatard had the “best team money can ”buy””....I think, ironically, from a Mt. Vernon Mom (Geist privilege....and a stolen Greenfield QB...).  

Neither did they steal their QB from a neighboring school.  

Hmm, "stolen" and "steal" are fairly serious accusations, especially in the environment of Indiana government school open enrollment legislation.   What verifiable evidence to you have to support such an accusation?

39 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Hmm, "stolen" and "steal" are fairly serious accusations, especially in the environment of Indiana government school open enrollment legislation.   What verifiable evidence to you have to support such an accusation?

Again, not biting.  

I’ve enjoyed the arguments we’ve had over the years but I agree with you WAY too much to look to fight with you at the moment.

You win.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Again, not biting.  

I’ve enjoyed the arguments we’ve had over the years but I agree with you WAY too much to look to fight with you at the moment.

You win.

Ok,  take your ball and go home.   Makes it easier to discount the rest of your statement if you can't defend even part of it.

Edited by Muda69
  • Disdain 1

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Ok,  take your ball and go home.   Makes it easier to discount the rest of your statement if you can't defend even part of it.

Nope.  Fish are otherwise occupied.

image.jpeg.fefd0d05b657edac5e79dc2796ca8048.jpeg

Edited by Lysander
  • Haha 3
  • Disdain 1

On 10/6/2020 at 5:27 AM, Lysander said:

Don't blame me. I didn't point you toward it, but I did approve your request to join. I rarely read anything on there. 

• Like 1