Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

(2 - 2) North Knox @ (4 - 2) Linton

The season seems to be flying along.  It's already week 7.  This week finds the North Knox Warriors visiting the Linton Miners.  This will be the 44th meeting between these 2 programs.  Linton holds a 37 -6 mark in the series.  For now, North Knox is averaging 31 points on offense while giving  up 20.8 points per game.  The Miners have averaged 34.7 points per game on offense while giving up 24.2 points on defense.   Last week saw the Warriors hit the road and take on the Rensy Central Bombers at Covington High School.  The Warriors lost the game but gave a good account of themselves (35 - 19).  I listened to the game on the radio.  The Miners were also on the road at undefeated North Daviess.  The Miners won 50 - 14.  Harrell is predicting a 38 - 24 Miners' win.  I don't think it will be that close.  The Miner defense is improving at shutting down offenses.  Not sure the Warriors will get to 24 points.  Best of health to both teams.  

5 hours ago, Ugminer said:

Im glad NK was able to find a game this week. An a much better than Pike Central.  Seems like they have had a tough time being able to play.

I listened to the game on the radio.  North Knox didn't play too bad.  Their defense gave up 400+ yards but not a ton of points.  The offense moved the ball at times.  The QB for North Knox played a fairly decent game.  He picked up several key first downs running the ball and threw a few nice passes.  They ended up losing by 2 scores.  Not what I expected.   I figured it would be a blowout.  The Bombers are a very good program.

Yeah I listened to most of it on the way to a gig.   I thought NK hung tough too... I didn't hear the last part.. I think it was maybe 21-14 when I shut down.  I think Linton worked on a lot of aspects of their game against ND.  A lot of guys got reps, and a couple in different spots.  I still worry about the pass defense a bit... we still tend to give up a big play here and there.  last year NK had a couple of those against us.  They didn't get us with the running game though... so I expect they will  try to exploit Linton in the air.  I like the Hammelman kid the have at QB.. and certainly HOltman Doades had big plays against us as a soph last year.  Linton simply has to come in to this game ready to play.  North Knox will I'm sure... Beating the Miners would be huge for NK...  i hope DeBruhl will be back.. he said he was ready last week.  

9 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

Yeah I listened to most of it on the way to a gig.   I thought NK hung tough too... I didn't hear the last part.. I think it was maybe 21-14 when I shut down.  I think Linton worked on a lot of aspects of their game against ND.  A lot of guys got reps, and a couple in different spots.  I still worry about the pass defense a bit... we still tend to give up a big play here and there.  last year NK had a couple of those against us.  They didn't get us with the running game though... so I expect they will  try to exploit Linton in the air.  I like the Hammelman kid the have at QB.. and certainly HOltman Doades had big plays against us as a soph last year.  Linton simply has to come in to this game ready to play.  North Knox will I'm sure... Beating the Miners would be huge for NK...  i hope DeBruhl will be back.. he said he was ready last week.  

As I said, I thought Hammelman played a decent game against the Bombers.  He had some nice passes but I was more impressed with some of the runs he made picking up first downs and extending drives for the Warriors.  The Miner defense is going to have to stay sharp and watch for that and stay focused.  I'm sure the Warriors will show up full of confidence after their game with the Bombers.   Off the subject here.   I'd like to see the Bombers and the Miners start a series with each other.  I think it would be epic.  Both of them are quality 2A programs.  The Miners still have a couple of 1A teams on their schedule they should drop.   The Bombers could drop 5A Munster since they aren't a very good program.  In fact Munster is last in 5A this year and have been close to that for several years.  While it may not look great to drop a 5A school and pick up a 2A, the level of competition would be much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

As I said, I thought Hammelman played a decent game against the Bombers.  He had some nice passes but I was more impressed with some of the runs he made picking up first downs and extending drives for the Warriors.  The Miner defense is going to have to stay sharp and watch for that and stay focused.  I'm sure the Warriors will show up full of confidence after their game with the Bombers.   Off the subject here.   I'd like to see the Bombers and the Miners start a series with each other.  I think it would be epic.  Both of them are quality 2A programs.  The Miners still have a couple of 1A teams on their schedule they should drop.   The Bombers could drop 5A Munster since they aren't a very good program.  In fact Munster is last in 5A this year and have been close to that for several years.  While it may not look great to drop a 5A school and pick up a 2A, the level of competition would be much better.

We run the exact same offense as RC...so, Linton would be prepared...lol

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

I have found out that Munster is just a make up game this year.  So forget my suggestion of dropping them by the Bombers.  I't still like to see a series between the Bombers and the Miners.

58 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Yeah Coach Nowlin told me that.  Said it was fun to play against in your game.  Did you get to meet Coach Nowlin?  Great individual.

I never talked about the grid...but, i did talk to a bunch of their coaches and fans(So, I may have)..really great people.  They are a fun hard nosed team to play against...it definitely benefitted us to play them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NorthKnox94 said:

I never talked about the grid...but, i did talk to a bunch of their coaches and fans(So, I may have)..really great people.  They are a fun hard nosed team to play against...it definitely benefitted us to play them.

Okay.  Just wondered.  I met Coach Nowlin at the Linton/LCC state title game in 2015.  We sat together at the game.  He's such a great individual.  We talked about football (of course) and many other things.  He had no dog in the fight but still drove down to Lucas Oil to meet up and get acquainted.  I had just finished a TON of chemo a few weeks before the state title game.  Even though Linton lost the game it was still great meeting and talking with Coach.  

• Like 2

Indeed my friend @itiswhatitis

Appreciate all that came together to get this game in.   Simiular style of offense with a few wrinkles from each offensive squad.    

I thought we did a nice job of moving people out and getting good chunks, but too many silly penalites, only 1 hold that I still cannot find on film, the rest looked like no doubters and cannot do that consistency, especially with our style of ground and pound.   It was nice getting 2 backs over 100 yards:    Just finished stats, been behind all weekend.   Our Feature back #32 had 26 for 174 and 3 touchdowns and caught 1 too.  He also had INT return and fumble recovery.   Our other RB/WB had 17 for 124 .   58 carries for 370 and 30 first downs.  Just didn't get to end zone as much as those stats should of.   So it goes.    

Pleased defensively statistically holding NK to 3-14 passing for 52 yards, but #20 ran a fantastic post corner for a TD, watching it on film last night with our kids, cannot fault our corner too much on that, it was a really tough route to defend and QB put it where he can get it.   Tip cap there.   I thought NK QB did some nice things to scramble out of trouble, finding one of his recievers who made 1st guy, 2nd guy and 3rd guy all miss for their 1st TD.   He did great job running QB Powers as well.  We had him for about 116 yards on the ground.   Good day for him running for sure.   I liked #75 on film and in person, physical kid who gets after it on both sides of the ball.   

We ran 69 plays to NK 43 plays, another trademark of our team.   Last week vs West Lafayette we ran 75 plays to their 46.    

Best wishes to the Warriors.   Cheers

• Like 2

Long time listener, first time caller.....

We have a tale as old as time here southern indiana folks, NEVER JUDGE A GAME BY THE FINAL SCORE!  

Some real life insight from this traveling tenderloin, connoisseur:

Since my beloved boilers a still weeks away from playing these Saturday high school games have been just the excuse I needed to indulge my tenderloin habit.  Let me tell you something I hit gold Saturday at Hilltop Restaurant in Covington, Indiana.  What a fried loin!  Hand pounded and lightly bread, big enough to hang over the bun but not so comically big that you never get to the bun.... pickles, onion and mustard..... the things dreams are made of but i digress onto the game

The Bombers PHYSICALLY DOMINATED North Knox in this one, especially on offense.  It was Penalties that kept the game close (including 40 or so yards on one of the Warriors scoring drives), not play.  To the credit of north knox they played very hard and seemed to be a very well coached team.  As stated the QB had a nice game RUNNING, did a nice job when the pocket broke down eluding the rush and getting in the open field.  He only completed 3 passes. Sure two of which happened to be touchdowns but of those two touchdowns one was a jump ball that his reciever (#20 i believe, also had a big kick return, nice athlete for them. Sorry names elude me no programs available to me) made a nice play on but from my vantage point could have just as easily been intercepted.  the other was a hitch on fourth and long that would have been short of first down yardage had it not been for some suspect open field tackling/nice moves by the receiver on the play.  

Offensively the Bomber Offensive line had a field day (i'm a fan of O Line play) big holes all day. #32 and #34 for RC are a nice thunder and lightning combo for Rensselaer's inside run game.  i left the game with the impression that i had just watched a 42-7 or 49-14 thrashing. i think the stat lines back up that assessment too. 

but that tenderloin though......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Tenderloin said:

Long time listener, first time caller.....

We have a tale as old as time here southern indiana folks, NEVER JUDGE A GAME BY THE FINAL SCORE!  

Some real life insight from this traveling tenderloin, connoisseur:

Since my beloved boilers a still weeks away from playing these Saturday high school games have been just the excuse I needed to indulge my tenderloin habit.  Let me tell you something I hit gold Saturday at Hilltop Restaurant in Covington, Indiana.  What a fried loin!  Hand pounded and lightly bread, big enough to hang over the bun but not so comically big that you never get to the bun.... pickles, onion and mustard..... the things dreams are made of but i digress onto the game

The Bombers PHYSICALLY DOMINATED North Knox in this one, especially on offense.  It was Penalties that kept the game close (including 40 or so yards on one of the Warriors scoring drives), not play.  To the credit of north knox they played very hard and seemed to be a very well coached team.  As stated the QB had a nice game RUNNING, did a nice job when the pocket broke down eluding the rush and getting in the open field.  He only completed 3 passes. Sure two of which happened to be touchdowns but of those two touchdowns one was a jump ball that his reciever (#20 i believe, also had a big kick return, nice athlete for them. Sorry names elude me no programs available to me) made a nice play on but from my vantage point could have just as easily been intercepted.  the other was a hitch on fourth and long that would have been short of first down yardage had it not been for some suspect open field tackling/nice moves by the receiver on the play.  

Offensively the Bomber Offensive line had a field day (i'm a fan of O Line play) big holes all day. #32 and #34 for RC are a nice thunder and lightning combo for Rensselaer's inside run game.  i left the game with the impression that i had just watched a 42-7 or 49-14 thrashing. i think the stat lines back up that assessment too. 

but that tenderloin though......

You beat us up front...last year we had all seniors across the line...we are young and starting to get a little bit of grove going.  I just appreciate the physicality of this game...a bunch of hard legal hitting...it was a fun game to watch.

16 minutes ago, NorthKnox94 said:

You beat us up front...last year we had all seniors across the line...we are young and starting to get a little bit of grove going.  I just appreciate the physicality of this game...a bunch of hard legal hitting...it was a fun game to watch.

Could not agree with that more. not all the hitting was deemed legal by the refs but i believe it was all within the spirit of competition.  You guys are definitely on the right track!  Like I said I missed the programs so I couldn't tell who was in what class but you had a few lineman that looked a little green out there Saturday that will benefit mightily from physical games like this one! I have always been a casual high school football fan but without college football so far this year and a bevy of Saturday games my interest has ben piqued. 

As far as the offense goes I was able to glean from some Bomber fans that they started running this offense in 2014 on their way to a state championship, when did you guys pick it up at north knox?

57 minutes ago, NorthKnox94 said:

Absolutely !!   

Loved it.   

Good luck this week Warriors 

34 minutes ago, King Tenderloin said:

As far as the offense goes I was able to glean from some Bomber fans that they started running this offense in 2014 on their way to a state championship, when did you guys pick it up at north knox?

Correct KT   we debut it 2014 special group that was, you can you tube some games of that year I think, for sure the state game.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NorthKnox94 said:

Sounds like your line last year was simiular to ours last year too.   Here is me holding up the mirror and looking at each other :classic_laugh:

Our left TE was a JV center last year, LT is returning player, LG, was JV player last year, Center returns, our RG is Soph, JV last year, our RT played some as a Soph, sat out all last year and now back this year as a SR, our right TE is 6'5, 340 pound size 17.5 shoe 15 year old along with the other guy rotating in, in his 1st year playing varsity TE.   That group, 6 games in is starting to get that synergy we talk about in running this style offense.   Timing is everything as you know with this offense.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Sounds like your line last year was simiular to ours last year too.   Here is me holding up the mirror and looking at each other :classic_laugh:

Our left TE was a JV center last year, LT is returning player, LG, was JV player last year, Center returns, our RG is Soph, JV last year, our RT played some as a Soph, sat out all last year and now back this year as a SR, our right TE is 6'5, 340 pound size 17.5 shoe 15 year old along with the other guy rotating in, in his 1st year playing varsity TE.   That group, 6 games in is starting to get that synergy we talk about in running this style offense.   Timing is everything as you know with this offense.  

Good grief!  No offense, but are you sure they are human?  Sounds more like a sasquatch.  He sounds like the 2 Piper brothers they had at Perry Central some years back.  Both of them around 6' 4" or 6'5" and 300+ pounds.  I believe they were a year apart.  They were a LOAD!

On 9/30/2020 at 9:23 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

besides the week side TE we have all new starters this year...one of them would have been a starter had he not tore his acl.

• Like 1

Congrats to the Warriors for the win.  Your line tonight played superb.  I can't remember the last time the Miners were dominated like that on both sides of the ball.  I've been saying all year this is a young Miner team and tonight it showed.  Best of Luck to the Warriors the rest of the season,.  Maybe we'll see you in the tournament.

8 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Hey Hey:   Look at those Warriors!!!   Nice Win Fellas!!  @NorthKnox94  

Wish you all well!! 

Thanks...I think it really helped getting our butt's whipped on the line last week to get them fired up for this week.  We played a really good game...it was fun to beat the Miners for the first time in 11 years.