Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli starting to look like a 6A Program

Guest DT

Roncalli, with the highest PP enrollment in the state at nearly 1200 students, moves up to 6A in my 2.0 Multiplier Proposal

The Rebels are sure playing like a high level 6A program on the field, as evidenced by their convincing win over undefeated Mt Vernon.

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Roncalli, with the highest PP enrollment in the state at nearly 1200 students, moves up to 6A in my 2.0 Multiplier Proposal

The Rebels are sure playing like a high level 6A program on the field, as evidenced by their convincing win over undefeated Mt Vernon.

Here we go....

Roncalli is a great football program. Always has been, always will be. But a high level 6A program? C’mon.

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Here we go....

Roncalli is a great football program. Always has been, always will be. But a high level 6A program? C’mon.

Sagarin has Roncalli as the 10th best team in the state, with only six 6A programs ahead of them.  Id say thats pretty high level 6A.   They will probably finish the season in the top 5, maybe even Top 3.  

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Sagarin has Roncalli as the 10th best team in the state, with only six 6A programs ahead of them.  Id say thats pretty high level 6A.   They will probably finish the season in the top 5, maybe even Top 3.  

Being able to “compete” against a 6A team on any given night is entirely different than playing 6A competition night in and night out for possibly 15 weeks. There’s a ton of non-6A schools who could “compete” with any given 6A school on any given night, doesn’t mean they should voluntarily or be forced to play 2 classes up. Hell I’d bet Mt. Vernon could “compete” with 75% of 6A on any given night (and beat a lot of them) and I’m sure you wouldn’t devote a thread to it.

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Being able to “compete” against a 6A team on any given night is entirely different than playing 6A competition night in and night out for possibly 15 weeks. There’s a ton of non-6A schools who could “compete” with any given 6A school on any given night, doesn’t mean they should voluntarily or be forced to play 2 classes up. Hell I’d bet Mt. Vernon could “compete” with 75% of 6A on any given night (and beat a lot of them) and I’m sure you wouldn’t devote a thread to it.

The 2.0 Multiplier Reclasses Roncalli's enrollment as 6A.  Nobody is being forced to do anythimg.  Its the Multiplier that moves them up.

Huh? The multiplier doubles their enrollment forcing them to play two classes up. What are you talking about?

I see it differently.,  The 2.0 Multiplier doubles their enrollment and gives their kids the opportunity to play post season football at the highest level in the state.

Your looking at it from a negative point of view.  I see it as a positive and a great opportunity.  

1 minute ago, DT said:

I see it differently.,  The 2.0 Multiplier doubles their enrollment and gives their kids the opportunity to play post season football at the highest level in the state.

Your looking at it from a negative point of view.  I see it as a positive and a great opportunity.  

What’s positive about telling a school of 1200 kids that they have to play in a tournament with schools that have 3000-5000 kids?

16 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

What’s positive about telling a school of 1200 kids that they have to play in a tournament with schools that have 3000-5000 kids?

There you go,  leaning on the crutch of enrollment when you feel it's to your argumentative advantage.   Again, fair classifications should be about program, not enrollment.

• Like 2

I watched this game.  Total domination on the LOS by Roncalli.  MV was simply overmatched.  I had a feeling that this would happen.  The Marauders turn the ball over a lot.  They have a lot of snap issues.  And quite honestly, they hadn't played a really good team all season.  

Not to defend DT, but you cannot use private school enrollment numbers to compare them to public schools.  That's been the issue for a long time.

Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

There you go,  leaning on the crutch of enrollment when you feel it's to your argumentative advantage.   Again, fair classifications should be about program, not enrollment.

It’s the only fair and logical way to classify teams. If your team has enough success in its enrollment-based classification, you move up. It’s not really a hard concept.

Most people would agree that there is a six year old or two good enough to compete and occasional beat a 10 year old in a game of basketball. Most people would also agree that 10 year olds playing other 10 year olds, makes a lot more common sense than vice versa. On the rare occasion the 6 year old is good enough, he plays up (success factor).

5 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

I watched this game.  Total domination on the LOS by Roncalli.  MV was simply overmatched.  I had a feeling that this would happen.  The Marauders turn the ball over a lot.  They have a lot of snap issues.  And quite honestly, they hadn't played a really good team all season.  

Not to defend DT, but you cannot use private school enrollment numbers to compare them to public schools.  That's been the issue for a long time.

You think Mt. Vernon’s socioeconomic demographics are that much, if any, different than Roncalli? 

It’s the only fair and logical way to classify teams.

No, it's not.  But I understand that statement coming from a  p/p zealot like yourself.  The current system allows most p/p's to have their cake and eat it too,  so who wouldn't want to protect that system?

Edited by Muda69

It’s the only fair and logical way to classify teams. If your team has enough success in its enrollment-based classification, you move up. It’s not really a hard concept.

Most people would agree that there is a six year old or two good enough to compete and occasional beat a 10 year old in a game of basketball. Most people would also agree that 10 year olds playing other 10 year olds, makes a lot more common sense than vice versa. On the rare occasion the 6 year old is good enough, he plays up (success factor).

You think Mt. Vernon’s socioeconomic demographics are that much, if any, different than Roncalli? 

Mt. Vernon cannot control or limit the size/make-up of their student population as a public school.

Just now, CaptainHook said:

Mt. Vernon cannot control or limit the size/make-up of their student population as a public school.

Hmm, under current open enrollment legislation can't they decide not to allow out-of-district transfers?  Sounds like a way to grow or limit enrollment to me.

Also a government school corporation could decide to build another high school if current and future enrollment growth supports it.   

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

And you’re delusional if you think Roncalli is somehow calling their enrollment to remain in 4A.

That's not what I'm saying at all.  But enrollment numbers mean nothing when classifying a private school

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Hmm, under current open enrollment legislation can't they decide not to allow out-of-district transfers?  Sounds like a way to grow or limit enrollment to me.

Also a government school corporation could decide to build another high school if current and future enrollment growth supports it.   

What are you talking about?  MV must accept all students within their district.  Doesn't matter if they can play football or not.  Privates have no district.  They can control the make up of their student population.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:
7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

That's not what I'm saying at all.  But enrollment numbers mean nothing when classifying a private school

How many people do you think Roncalli is turning down a year? Serious question.

With as much negative attention as Roncalli has gotten not just in the local, but national media the last year and a half, they aren’t in any position to turn somebody down.

Isn’t MV’s starting QB or WR from Chicago? Who transferred in this year? MV didn’t have the option to decline his enrollment? It’s a two way street.

25 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

How many people do you think Roncalli is turning down a year? Serious question.

With as much negative attention as Roncalli has gotten not just in the local, but national media the last year and a half, they aren’t in any position to turn somebody down.

Isn’t MV’s starting QB or WR from Chicago? Who transferred in this year? MV didn’t have the option to decline his enrollment? It’s a two way street.

C'mon man.  This is the very thinking that led to the Tournament Success Factor.  Privates operate under different rules.  If you can't acknowledge that, I'm done here.

Don't lecture about enrollment size or capping numbers, when MV has several transfers (some from HHC schools), playing key positions for the Marauders. 

Roncalli must not be doing a great job capping enrollment numbers and picking and choosing their students, when they have 1 state championship (2016) in the last 15 years. 

1 minute ago, CaptainHook said:

C'mon man.  This is the very thinking that led to the Tournament Success Factor.  Privates operate under different rules.  If you can't acknowledge that, I'm done here.

I don’t have a problem with the success factor. But operates under a different set of rules? Are you telling me P/P’s turn down as many kids as they accept? Hence the reason for a 2.0 multiplier? Roncalli operates under such a different set of rules they only have 1200 kids and not 2400 kids?

Genuinely trying to see your point of view. Mount Vernon didn’t lose to Roncalli last night because of who Roncalli accepts and doesn’t accept. I’ll tell you that much right now. Silly to suggest otherwise.

Just now, Footballking16 said:

I don’t have a problem with the success factor. But operates under a different set of rules? Are you telling me P/P’s turn down as many kids as they accept? Hence the reason for a 2.0 multiplier? Roncalli operates under such a different set of rules they only have 1200 kids and not 2400 kids?

Genuinely trying to see your point of view. Mount Vernon didn’t lose to Roncalli last night because of who Roncalli accepts and doesn’t accept. I’ll tell you that much right now. Silly to suggest otherwise.

You keep talking about one game.  Why do we have the Tournament Success Factor?  If enrollment is what everything should be based on?  Privates have an advantage in building their sports programs.  Just look around the last 25 years.  Enrollment has nothing to do with it.

58 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

My kids would get slapped for whining with the four letter f-word

1 minute ago, CaptainHook said:

You keep talking about one game.  Why do we have the Tournament Success Factor?  If enrollment is what everything should be based on?  Privates have an advantage in building their sports programs.  Just look around the last 25 years.  Enrollment has nothing to do with it.

Exactly.

It has nothing to do with enrollment and everything to do with building and maintaining a successful program, starting with the feeder systems. As a fan of New Pal, you of all people should know this.

27 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

The IHSAA is a membership (club?) of member schools.   It has nothing to do with what type of school.