Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli starting to look like a 6A Program

Guest DT

29 minutes ago, temptation said:

Socioeconomics > Enrollment

You give me a school’s free and reduced lunch population and I can usually tell you how successful their athletic program is.

For 2A - 3A the sweet spot is right around 35-40% for public schools.  For 4A-6A, that drops into the 20s.  At least based on last year's LOS attendees.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

You give me a school’s free and reduced lunch population and I can usually tell you how successful their athletic program is.

Ok, so how about a school who averages in the 35% to 40% range?

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out.  Wasnt that your previous calling card here?

Just now, DT said:

Agree with you on that.

I see long term negative impact on many programs around the state.  

Your reduced-free lunch analysis could just as easily pick out the post Covid winners and the losers. 

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Should be competitive in nearly all classed sports but not challenging for state titles in the country club (golf, tennis, swimming, XC) sports.

Evansville North is at 39.9% free/reduced lunch. They have dominated girls golf the last 7 years with 5 state championships.

2 minutes ago, sr1 said:

Evansville North is at 39.9% free/reduced lunch. They have dominated girls golf the last 7 years with 5 state championships.

Anomaly.  Must have had a couple of great groups roll through.  Taking a look at the remaining schools in the top ten, my statement holds true.

Kudos to the Huskies.

11 hours ago, temptation said:

Anomaly.  Must have had a couple of great groups roll through.  Taking a look at the remaining schools in the top ten, my statement holds true.

Kudos to the Huskies.

Evansville North is a very socioeconmically mixed school ... very urban, low-income families mixed with CG-like Evansville sprawl on the northside. You can guess which side of the tracks the girls' golf team comes from.

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Evansville North is a very socioeconmically mixed school ... very urban, low-income families mixed with CG-like Evansville sprawl on the northside. You can guess which side of the tracks the girls' golf team comes from.

Some quick research yields that this is a true (and fascinating) statement as I’m not sure I’ve EVER seen this wide of a discrepancy WITHIN a particular school district.

Taking a quick glance at the five elementary schools that feed into North:

Delaware:  93 percent 

Evans:  89 percent

Vogel:  62 percent

Oak Hill: 88 percent 

Scott:  14 percent

How many of those golfers were Scott Elementary kids?

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

Some quick research yields that this is a true (and fascinating) statement as I’m not sure I’ve EVER seen this wide of a discrepancy WITHIN a particular school district.

Taking a quick glance at the five elementary schools that feed into North:

Delaware:  93 percent 

Evans:  89 percent

Vogel:  62 percent

Oak Hill: 88 percent 

Scott:  14 percent

How many of those golfers were Scott Elementary kids?

I would guess most of them. There is additionally McCutchanville elementary, which was built just a few years ago when Scott outgrew its walls and was split into two.

McCutchanville elementary was literally built next to a golf course. (Or maybe on the golf course as I think the golf course has gone bankrupt and the land has been sold to a developer.)

The lives of Evans kids and McCutchanville kids are drastically different. 

14 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I would guess most of them. There is additionally McCutchanville elementary, which was built just a few years ago when Scott outgrew its walls and was split into two.

McCutchanville elementary was literally built next to a golf course. (Or maybe on the golf course as I think the golf course has gone bankrupt and the land has been sold to a developer.)

The lives of Evans kids and McCutchanville kids are drastically different. 

McCutchanville = 17 percent

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

That's likely to be the case too in many of the big high schools; especially in one-high-school districts.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:35 AM, temptation said:

I’ve NEVER seen a 79 percent difference in free/reduced lunch percentage within a district.

Any more examples?

It's possible some of the Marion County township districts have it. Although I think they try to spread out each school to represent the district and not just serve as neighborhood schools. Many of them are centrally located. But I would think in Pike, Washington and Lawrence Township the disparity from one side of the district to the other is similar. They all have some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Indy and also some of the poorest neighborhoods.

13 hours ago, JustRules said:

It's possible some of the Marion County township districts have it. Although I think they try to spread out each school to represent the district and not just serve as neighborhood schools. Many of them are centrally located. But I would think in Pike, Washington and Lawrence Township the disparity from one side of the district to the other is similar. They all have some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Indy and also some of the poorest neighborhoods.

Nah, no way.  There will certainly be some large discrepancies, but as someone who has lived in and around Marion County my entire lifetime, I am pretty confident that there is not THAT large of a discrepancy within a school district.

79 percent is enormous.

Nah, no way.  There will certainly be some large discrepancies, but as someone who has lived in and around Marion County my entire lifetime, I am pretty confident that there is not THAT large of a discrepancy within a school district.

79 percent is enormous.

I live in one of those districts and I can tell you it's very possible. If there was a school that was based in the neighborhood of the most affluent areas of the district, the F&R numbers would be extremely low. If there was a school that based in the neighborhoods closer to 38th Street (all 3 reach down that far) the F&R numbers would be 80%+. I believe all 3 districts though distribute all students through all schools so the demographics are closer to the make-up of the district with some home school preference.

4 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I live in one of those districts and I can tell you it's very possible. If there was a school that was based in the neighborhood of the most affluent areas of the district, the F&R numbers would be extremely low. If there was a school that based in the neighborhoods closer to 38th Street (all 3 reach down that far) the F&R numbers would be 80%+. I believe all 3 districts though distribute all students through all schools so the demographics are closer to the make-up of the district with some home school preference.

The numbers are easy to access.  What townships are you referring to?  Lawrence, Washington and Pike I assume?