Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2021

Could be the best team Hurley has put on the field as a head coach. QB play won’t be an issue. Rupp and Hurley know how to coach QBs and coach to their strengths. This could be one of the few Memorial teams that run more than they throw. Russell and Tyler is a nasty 1 - 2 punch. Defense will be fast and physical. 

Edited by Screagle

16 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Could be the best team Hurley has put on the field as a head coach. QB play won’t be an issue. Rupp and Hurley know how to coach QBs and coach to their strengths. This could be one of the few Memorial teams that run more than they throw. Russell and Tyler is a nasty 1 - 2 punch. Defense will be fast and physical. 

I was little bit worried about Ellpsermann and his height, but I’m pretty sure he had a growth spurt over summer. He will be protected very well  by the massive front 5 

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

- While I'm optimistic about the Tigers, they are not going to be better than any of the 3 teams that went to the state finals recently.  We do not have players of the caliber of Lindauer or either Combs brother.

- Jury's out on QB.  I know a lot of people are high on Caleb -- Josh Russell had some encouraging things to say about him on Igierski's preview the other day.  But we'll just have to wait and see.

- I agree that we'll run the ball more than we have in recent seasons and that Russell and Tyler could be a really good rushing duo.

- I also agree about the D.  D line and LBs should be solid.  Hopefully Carac Johnson stays healthy.  If he does, his name is going to be mentioned a lot.  A little concerned about the defensive backfield.

12 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

A little concerned about the defensive backfield.

It shouldn’t be bad, but missing the Combs/Lindauer types will hurt. But that is in the past, and I trust our coaches to get the right guys for the DB positions 

Edited by TigerFan20

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

Memorial's defense was fast and physical last year. I would expect nothing less of them this year with 10 starters returning. Finding a place to attack them will be difficult for anyone in the SIAC

• Like 1

I just think across the board they could be as talented as any team that wore the blue and white. May not have the Hart, Combs, Jones, Lindauer or Maquire type but from top to bottom this team has dudes all over.  

3 minutes ago, tango said:

Is this a "no practice" week or something?  I haven't seen anyone at school in the mornings.  

It's going to take one heckuva season to convince me they are better than the 2018 Tigers. 

That part I do not know, matter in fact, I haven’t seen anyone at all at school, if I drive by. Guessing they have later practices then 

17 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

That part I do not know, matter in fact, I haven’t seen anyone at all at school, if I drive by. Guessing they have later practices then 

They’re off this week.

This team has a good shot to win the SIAC and to make a good tourney run.  But, no, they aren’t going to be better than the 2018 team — which, IMO, was up there with the McIntosh-era Panthers and Schiff/Mallory Wildcats as far as recent SIAC teams go.

Still amazed they lost in the state finals.  I have to think that a healthy Turnbaugh would’ve changed the outcome of that game.  WL went deep twice on his backup for early TDs.  And MHS still almost came back to win.

Edited by MHSTigerFan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

WL went deep twice on his backup for early TDs.

Could have won the game if those didn’t happened...back to back 90 yard TDs. But if that game was played 10 times, it would be 50/50, cause that WL team was tough as nails 

5 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Could have won the game if those didn’t happened...back to back 90 yard TDs. But if that game was played 10 times, it would be 50/50, cause that WL team was tough as nails 

I disagree with that - especially if we’d have been healthy.  I think we win 7 or 8 out of 10. Austin Jones held Karlaftis in check.  He was averaging something like 4 or 5 TFLs a game.  And I don’t remember him affecting the game all that much, outside of his TD.

All the talk was that Chatard was the class of 3A - and we curb-stomped them.

12 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

He was averaging something like 4 or 5 TFLs a game.

God Karlaftis was a beast all season. Even though his stat line during state wasn’t the best, you could feel his menace even in the stands. Even his 20 yard TD run or gain was something to see

Edited by TigerFan20

25 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

God Karlaftis was a beast all season. Even though his stat line during state wasn’t the best, you could feel his menace even in the stands. Even his 20 yard TD run or gain was something to see

He was scary good.  Turned down offers from just about every elite program for hometown Purdue - where he started as a true freshman.  You’d see film of him destroying doubleteams, spinning, swimming, etc.  Easily the most dominant HS defender I’ve seen play in recent years.

Granted, we ran away from him about every play.  So it’s unfair for me to say that he didn’t affect the game.  He actually did - effectively taking away half of the field.  But, still, Austin did a magnificent job against him.

But, as explosive as our offense was that year, it’s easy to forget that — up until that Finals — our starting defense had only surrendered something like 6 or 7 TDs all season.

19 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

But, as explosive as our offense was that year, it’s easy to forget that — up until that Finals — our starting defense had only surrendered something like 6 or 7 TDs all season.

GS was the first game we were behind, I believe they scored on a 30 yard TD, towards the beginning of the game. But man that postseason was fun

7 hours ago, Screagle said:

Could be the best team Hurley has put on the field as a head coach. 

The best team on paper, yes. But games aren’t played on paper. 

I would say this year’s team potentially is closest to 2008, if any. That team featured a large offensive line and a RB that was a just a shade under 2,000 yards. (RB by committee this year.) 

16 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Damn right, I am hopeful for my Tigers, but we can’t get over our head and start the season on a bad note 

According to the article in the Courier, Memorial should be ready to roll week 1. With 20 returning starters and a full offseason there shouldn't be a whole lot of trying to get new kids up to speed. But you are right, to win the SIAC this year you'll have to bring it from week 1 to the last game of the season. Very few weeks where a team can afford a poor effort

29 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

According to the article in the Courier, Memorial should be ready to roll week 1. With 20 returning starters and a full offseason there shouldn't be a whole lot of trying to get new kids up to speed. But you are right, to win the SIAC this year you'll have to bring it from week 1 to the last game of the season. Very few weeks where a team can afford a poor effort

Especially since we have a tough 4 week stretch 

week 1- Jasper(H) 

Week 2- Central(A) 

Week 3- North(H) 

Week 4- Mater Dei(H) 

Good news  the majority of those games are home games for us. And I’m sure there will be some grudges on the field from last year

2 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Especially since we have a tough 4 week stretch 

week 1- Jasper(H) 

Week 2- Central(A) 

Week 3- North(H) 

Week 4- Mater Dei(H) 

Good news  the majority of those games are home games for us. And I’m sure there will be some grudges on the field from last year

As much as Central and North are replacing, I'm glad we're playing them early on.  I think Jasper had a fair bit of turnover, too.

20 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

As much as Central and North are replacing, I'm glad we're playing them early on.  I think Jasper had a fair bit of turnover, too.

Jasper lost their stud QB in Blake Mann and RB Lance Dawkins, other than that I do not know know we they lost, think they lost an College bound Lineman. I think the game last year against Jasper could have gone both ways, but it will one of the biggest games in Southern Indiana in Week 1

5 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

I think Jasper might be getting overlooked by some people. I know they have some big shoes to fill in Mann and Dawkins but they were really good in a lot of places. I feel like Jasper always has kids sitting on the side waiting their turn to step up. We will see. 

They will good, and will be underrated,  week 1 will be a testimony for Jasper and Memorial 

27 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

I think Jasper might be getting overlooked by some people. I know they have some big shoes to fill in Mann and Dawkins but they were really good in a lot of places. I feel like Jasper always has kids sitting on the side waiting their turn to step up. We will see. 

It’s never been a good idea to overlook Jasper.  You’re right…they’re one of those programs that just doesn’t seem to have much problem reloading year after year.

For one thing, they always seem to have a pretty high percentage of their boys come out for football.  Their roster usually seems big enough for a 5A school.

• Like 1

I’ve heard rumblings — and it’s a good source — to expect more COVID restrictions soon.

They didn’t specifically say what the restrictions would be.  In fact, I’d guess the people deciding that don’t even know at this point.  But it would not surprise me if we’re not at 100% game attendance capacity again this season.  Either that or they’ll require proof of vaccination.  Pure speculation on that, but not on the likelihood of new restrictions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I’ve heard rumblings — and it’s a good source — to expect more COVID restrictions soon.

They didn’t specifically say what the restrictions would be.  In fact, I’d guess the people deciding that don’t even know at this point.  But it would not surprise me if we’re not at 100% game attendance capacity again this season.  Either that or they’ll require proof of vaccination.  Pure speculation on that, but not on the likelihood of new restrictions.

I would guess maybe 75% capacity + vaccination proof