Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lovie gets whacked

Guest DT

If the Hoosiers can “get it turned around,” anyone can. Question is, what does it mean to “get it turned around?” Does it mean getting to the championship game? Does it mean having a winning record in conference? You can’t draw a road map without having a destination in mind.

it would take a massive influx of resources to get UI to the point where it was challenging for B1G supremacy. But it would take comparatively little to make them respectable. I really believe it starts with the coach. There are Tom Allens out there. The trick is finding them. If I was the President at UI, and was asked by my Trustees and boosters to get the football program respectable, I’d call up my AD and tell him when he hires a new football coach it better be someone good, or he’s next.

• Like 1

Yes in Indiana’s situation, “turning around “means just what they did this year. They have beaten the teams they were supposed to ,and won some close games that have always eluded them for several years past. The crowd isn’t calling for championships here. Just respectability. 
So they are on the tight track.  Keeping it up will determine whether they win championships or not.  

I wonder if they'll give Lance Leipold a look. He's from Wisconsin, won big there at Wisconsin-Whitewater, and has turned Buffalo into a solid program. The guy has proven he can win at 2 different levels. Someone will eventually take a chance on him. Illinois is an interesting job. The state is ripe with talent, but the Illini have never owned it. It's tough when the Chicago area views Champaign as rural, supposedly you can smell cows from their stadium that sits on edge of Champaign, and the Chicago media also treats Northwestern/Notre Dame as the local teams. Looking at the class of 2021 the Top 25 players in Illinois are going to: 

1. Iowa
  2. Minnesota
  3. Northwestern
  4. Missouri
  5. Minnesota
  6. Texas Christian lean (Decommitted from Purdue. Brohm can't lose QB recruits!!)
  7. Louisville
  8. Missouri
  9. West Virginia
  10. Wisconsin
  11. UCLA
  12. Michigan
  13. Minnesota
  14. Syracuse
  15. Iowa
  16. Notre Dame
  17. Notre Dame
  18. Rutgers
  19. Minnesota
  20. Iowa
  21. Louisville
  22. Indiana
  23. Toledo
  24. Minnesota
  25. Northwestern

Bottom line: You can't win at Illinois if you can't even recruit your own state. 

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

If the Hoosiers can “get it turned around,” anyone can. Question is, what does it mean to “get it turned around?” Does it mean getting to the championship game? Does it mean having a winning record in conference? You can’t draw a road map without having a destination in mind.

it would take a massive influx of resources to get UI to the point where it was challenging for B1G supremacy. But it would take comparatively little to make them respectable. I really believe it starts with the coach. There are Tom Allens out there. The trick is finding them. If I was the President at UI, and was asked by my Trustees and boosters to get the football program respectable, I’d call up my AD and tell him when he hires a new football coach it better be someone good, or he’s next.

I would say as a Purdue fan I would be happy with 7-9 wins a year with a good Bowl game. 10 wins and above is just gravy. College football is a beast. 

24 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The new coach of the Illini is the former Wisconsin coach, Brett Bielema. This is a very interesting hire. He's a B1G guy, originally from Illinois, played at Iowa, coached at Wisconsin. I think this is a terrific hire.

Well.....that was fast. 😂 

I too think this hire is terrific. 

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

The new coach of the Illini is the former Wisconsin coach, Brett Bielema. This is a very interesting hire. He's a B1G guy, originally from Illinois, played at Iowa, coached at Wisconsin. I think this is a terrific hire.

Love it

Illini will look just like Wisconsin in no time 

4 hours ago, DT said:

Love it

Illini will look just like Wisconsin in no time 

I’m going to take the opposing view.  Bret is just a retread.  His Big Ten roots do speak for themselves but I think Illinois should have gone with a young up and comer.

I think they have been suckered into thinking that they can recreate something of the magic their next door neighbors, Indiana, did in 2020.

I think the Hoosiers’ success in 2020 is an anomaly.

Though it seems to an easier climb to the top in the Big Ten West.

4 hours ago, temptation said:

I’m going to take the opposing view.  Bret is just a retread.  His Big Ten roots do speak for themselves but I think Illinois should have gone with a young up and comer.

I think they have been suckered into thinking that they can recreate something of the magic their next door neighbors, Indiana, did in 2020.

Bielema only knows one style of football.   Big bruising smash your face type football.  That is the easiest type of team to build thru recruiting.  He will steal some Wisconsin kids and recruit Illinois very strong and Illinois will finally have an identity as a powerful bruising type of football team.    I love it.   Can't wait to see it develop.  

7 hours ago, temptation said:

Pixxy dust did it for Indiana!