Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Saban Extends to 2028 - Can anyone catch The Tide?

Guest DT

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/nick-saban-contract-alabama-coach-extended-three-years-through-2028-college-football-season/

Im not so sure this is a good thing for college football.  Alabama has become so entrenched as the all time greatest CFB dynasty and youve got to wonder if The SEC has even a remote chance of keeping pace.  

The next tier (Georgia/Ohio State/Clemson/Oklahoma) cant afford the slightest hiccup or they could fall further behind the Tuscaloosa machine.  Saban just keeps reloading his roster with bigger, faster, stronger and higher rated players year after year after year.  In my view it takes some of the fun out of the game when the national champion is preordained before every season.  It just sucks the life out of programs like LSU, Texas, Texas AM, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, Washington, USC, Penn State, Nebraska, Miami, FSU, Tennessee.  

So we have another 7 years of Saban at Alabama.  

The seat just got hotter for Dabo and Ryan and Kirby and Jimbo.  

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, DE said:

Notre Dame fan here.  No.

The only thing ND is missing right now is the athletes. That's about to change with Marcus Freeman there. Look at what Kelly has done with 3 and 4-star athletes. Increase the 4's and add a few 5's and ND is easily in the same conversation as Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State. 

Don't worry, Temptation will be keeping tabs. We'll revisit this conversation in a few years. But the whole key to this thing is Marcus Freeman staying a few years. 

Have faith DE! The Irish are coming and it's about to piss a lot of people off. 

27 minutes ago, BTF said:

The only thing ND is missing right now is the athletes. That's about to change with Marcus Freeman there. Look at what Kelly has done with 3 and 4-star athletes. Increase the 4's and add a few 5's and ND is easily in the same conversation as Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State. 

Don't worry, Temptation will be keeping tabs. We'll revisit this conversation in a few years. But the whole key to this thing is Marcus Freeman staying a few years. 

Man I hope so. 

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

Marcus Freeman is, by all accounts, an elite recruiter. But the future depends on The Chosen One.

image.thumb.jpeg.472bfd70ef7a12a9376b2889c6cf0157.jpeg

Wasn't Phil Jurkovec, Ian Book, DeShone Kizer, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clausen, Ron Powlus, and Rick Mirer, all "The Chosen One" too?  What makes this young man any different? 

(ND QB's since ND's last National Championship team.)

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

Marcus Freeman is, by all accounts, an elite recruiter. But the future depends on The Chosen One.

image.thumb.jpeg.472bfd70ef7a12a9376b2889c6cf0157.jpeg

He looks like a younger version of my Pastor from First Church.

🙂

5 hours ago, DE said:

Wasn't Phil Jurkovec, Ian Book, DeShone Kizer, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clausen, Ron Powlus, and Rick Mirer, all "The Chosen One" too?  What makes this young man any different? 

(ND QB's since ND's last National Championship team.)

He looks like a younger version of my Pastor from First Church.

🙂

What makes him different? Well, he's not Phil Jurkovec, Ian Book, DeShone Kizer, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clousen, Ron Powlus, or Rick Mirer. But to be fair, they were all pretty darn good quarterbacks. Having the right supporting cast isn't a bad thing either when it comes to winning a championship.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BTF said:

What makes him different? Well, he's not Phil Jurkovec, Ian Book, DeShone Kizer, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clousen, Ron Powlus, or Rick Mirer. But to be fair, they were all pretty darn good quarterbacks. Having the right supporting cast isn't a bad thing either when it comes to winning a championship.

So no more "The Chosen One" than the guys I listed?  Got it.

Bingo!

6 hours ago, DE said:

So no more "The Chosen One" than the guys I listed?  Got it.

Bingo!

I just think any one of those guys could have led the Irish to a championship with the right players around them. Were any of those guys Trevor Lawrence? No. But there's no reason Tyler Buchner can't be. 

9 hours ago, BTF said:

I just think any one of those guys could have led the Irish to a championship with the right players around them. Were any of those guys Trevor Lawrence? No. But there's no reason Tyler Buchner can't be. 

I do not disagree.  I am just saying, if you are anointed "The Chosen One" (by whomever), you are the best of the best and make everyone else around you GREAT.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BTF said:

Good discussion BTF.

Happy 4th.

On 7/2/2021 at 12:42 PM, BTF said:

I always keep receipts.

2019:  Noblesville/Homestead (FB)  1-0

2020:  Carmel/Homestead (BB)  2-0

2021:  IU under 6.5 

2025:  ND is on par and competing regularly with Bama

You might wanna consider making this a best of 9 series.

On 7/2/2021 at 12:42 PM, BTF said:

Let's pump the brakes. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BTF said:

Pump your own brakes. Irish fans have reason to be excited.

Notre Dame is a very good football program and rightfully is in that second tier of teams behind Bama, Clemson, and OSU. But they are light years behind those programs. A couple 4 or 5 athletes doesn't push the needle for me. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Pump your own brakes. Irish fans have reason to be excited.

LOL.

I am an Irish fan who is excited, yet VERY realistic.  Words and "hype" do NOTHING for me.  Actions and results are all that matter.

ND has "The Chosen One".  Ok, great.  And?  Show me.  Prove you are "The Chosen One" (whatever that means).  Beat the teams in the playoffs.  Be the difference maker.  Beat the BEST teams on your schedule.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Notre Dame is a very good football program and rightfully is in that second tier of teams behind Bama, Clemson, and OSU. But they are light years behind those programs. A couple 4 or 5 athletes doesn't push the needle for me. 

Couldn't agree more.

6 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Whether or not they push the needle for you is probably the least of their concerns. Those within the program are pretty excited about the direction in which their team is heading. 

6 hours ago, BTF said:

Whether or not they push the needle for you is probably the least of their concerns. Those within the program are pretty excited about the direction in which their team is heading. 

Don’t confuse excitement with reality.  Until the gap closes ON THE FiELD, no one nationally will view ND as a legitimate threat.

Being fair to the Irish, this is also true for 126 other football programs.

There are those who believe that NIL will operate to help distribute the talent amongst a larger pool of schools than currently. Now, some recruits are not only asking “Where can I go to help me get to the NFL?” They are also asking, “Where can I go to help me maximally monetize my college years?” There’s probably some overlap, but the two sets of schools are not likely identical.

13 hours ago, BTF said:

Well of course, but I'm not a fan of Notre Dame so don't really care either way. But what I've seen from Notre Dame the last two decades in big time games against the country's best in no way resembles a program that is on the verge of breaking through. As I said, a few 4 or 5* athletes doesn't change that. Notre Dame has been physically outclassed by the Clemson's, the Alabama's, and the Ohio State's of the world for the last several years. 

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Well of course, but I'm not a fan of Notre Dame so don't really care either way. But what I've seen from Notre Dame the last two decades in big time games against the country's best in no way resembles a program that is on the verge of breaking through. As I said, a few 4 or 5* athletes doesn't change that. Notre Dame has been physically outclassed by the Clemson's, the Alabama's, and the Ohio State's of the world for the last several years. 

Well said.

My question is, what is keeping Notre Dame from getting the same players as Bama, Clemson, and O$U?