Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Tokyo Olympics

Irishman

learned a new word while watching the wrestling.....repechage.....had to text our wrestling coach to find out what was going on, because 2 bronze medals are being awarded in each class. Similar to a wrestle back, I guess.......but our coach said to get to an actual 3rd place takes WAY too long, so they just give two bronzes. 

https://www.firstpost.com/sports/firstpost-explains-what-does-repechage-in-wrestling-mean-and-how-does-it-work-9864361.html

I could not resist sharing this. McAfee is hilarious. Watch the clip though....no the guy does not  sh** himself, but it is funny to watch. I did not realize the sport has been in the Olympics since 1932. 

Today's race is 50K 😮 (over 31 miles for those who don't wanna do the math) 

And Sarah Hildebrandt moves on easily to the semi final.....started out down 2-0, but got a good double leg, got the legs together and rolled her opponent to get the SUP call. Really impressive. 

Kyle Snyder moves onto the semi final round with a solid 6-0 win.

Gable Steveson trailed 8-7 with just 10 seconds left, and with just 2 seconds on the clock, he gains control for for two points and adds a point because of a failed challenge to win gold against the current world champion. 
https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31971387/american-gable-steveson-wins-wrestling-gold-medal-125-kg-class-tokyo-olympics

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Gable Steveson trailed 8-7 with just 10 seconds left, and with just 2 seconds on the clock, he gains control for for two points and adds a point because of a failed challenge to win gold against the current world champion. 
https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31971387/american-gable-steveson-wins-wrestling-gold-medal-125-kg-class-tokyo-olympics

What an ending!!!  I see he is a Big 10 guy.....Minnesota Gopher.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

With a name like Gable, he was destined to wrestle.

You mentioned a connection to Hammond, In.

I have never heard of him in or his family in the region.  They may be though.  Our local media coverage is nowhere near what it used to be.

2 minutes ago, DE said:

With a name like Gable, he was destined to wrestle.

You mentioned a connection to Hammond, In.

I have never heard of him in or his family in the region.  They may be though.  Our local media coverage is nowhere near what it used to be.

I knew it was that area, just not sure exactly where. Our Wrestling coach said his brother wrestled for Lake Central before they moved. 

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

I knew it was that area, just not sure exactly where. Our Wrestling coach said his brother wrestled for Lake Central before they moved. 

I am from LC and I have never heard of him.  Same last name?

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

Wrestling scoring can be so confusing at times. So I take it there is no 1 point awarded for an 'escape' in Olympic wrestling? My son wrestled with a kid from Columbia City on an AAU team last spring whose strategy was to get a takedown, if he couldn't pin him quickly, he let the kid escape, then continue that process through the whole match. It's actually possible to get a Tech fall in high school if you do that enough times. I'm encouraging my son to adopt this, especially in the heavier weights it really difficult to turn some of these guys over to get the pin and A LOT of energy is expended in trying to. Many heavyweights will just lay there like they're trying to glue themselves to the mat. 

2 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Wrestling scoring can be so confusing at times. So I take it there is no 1 point awarded for an 'escape' in Olympic wrestling? My son wrestled with a kid from Columbia City on an AAU team last spring whose strategy was to get a takedown, if he couldn't pin him quickly, he let the kid escape, then continue that process through the whole match. It's actually possible to get a Tech fall in high school if you do that enough times. I'm encouraging my son to adopt this, especially in the heavier weights it really difficult to turn some of these guys over to get the pin and A LOT of energy is expended in trying to. Many heavyweights will just lay there like they're trying to glue themselves to the mat. 

Right....no escape points in Free Style. Indiana and it sounds like AAU, uses Folk Style scoring. I have heard of matches where guys let opponents escape on purpose to rack up the take downs; with the goal of getting to 30 points; the "Dirty 30". One of our wrestlers a few years ago was attempting to just get the 10 point spread for the tech fall, but out of the blue the ref deducts points, or awarded the opponent (cannot remember which one), for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Right....no escape points in Free Style. Indiana and it sounds like AAU, uses Folk Style scoring. I have heard of matches where guys let opponents escape on purpose to rack up the take downs; with the goal of getting to 30 points; the "Dirty 30". One of our wrestlers a few years ago was attempting to just get the 10 point spread for the tech fall, but out of the blue the ref deducts points, or awarded the opponent (cannot remember which one), for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

It's a great strategy if you're confident in your take down. Our 220 from last year is now up to 260, so not sure if we'll be wrestling or not. There is no class between 220 and 285 and no way my son will ever be able to cut weight to 220. He's actually at 295 right now with his 'football body', anything over 285 and he won't be able to wrestle anyway.

• Like 1