Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF / GID Interview with Fort Wayne Snider Coach Kurt Tippmann

Guest DT

HHF Interview with Fort Wayne Snider Coach Kurt Tippmann

Nobody in the Snider camp was happy with a 5-5 season last year. 10 offensive starters return, and Indiana recruit DJ Moore leads an experienced line as the Panthers look for a strong rebound in the fall.

Question 1
With summer drills now complete, what did you learn about your team over the past few months in team drills and competitions.
Response
We learned that we have a good number of players that return quality experience from last year, which puts them a little ahead of the game in terms of preparation for the season, knowing the scheme and executing it. This is especially true with QB position - which always makes things run more efficiently at the beginning of team drills.

Question 2
You have possibly one of the finest offensive lineman to ever come out of The SAC in Senior Tackle Demon Moore. The talented lineman looks NFL ready and was heavily recruited before finally committing to Indiana University in a huge recruiting win for Tom Allen's Hoosiers. What makes Moore so special in the eyes of recruiters, and what are your expectations of him as you head into the fall season?
Response
He has great size matched with the ability to move his feet that colleges value. He also has an extremely long arm reach which is a great asset for an offensive lineman. DJ has had a good off season in his work to improve in all facets of his play and continues to develop. We expect him to lead our offensive line in knowing what to do and how to handle the adversity that comes our way with each opponent. He has seen just about every front and blitz and needs to lead our group in knowing how to pick up what the defense presents to us.

Question 3
What are your thoughts on the current state of The SAC? Homestead and Carroll have been around for a while now, and many fans and football people credit those two programs with adding a needed competitive edge to the conference. On the downside, playing a full 9 game round robin closes of the potential for non conference play. Are you happy with the current arrangement, or would you like to see some changes and possibly some more scheduling flexibility.
Response
First, the SAC has been and continues to be a very competitive and diverse conference. Diverse in the size of schools, public and private and the demographics of the teams participating. It makes for a very unique 9 games. What has always been the case and continues is the quality of athletes, coaching and teams that we encounter each week. You have to be ready to play every week or you will get beat. We have had 5 state championship game appearances from our conference in the last 5 years (Snider, Luers, Dwenger (2x), Concordia). Every team has players that can score any time they touch the ball. We would enjoy some out of conference scheduling but also value the competitiveness of our 9 game conference schedule. It also makes the younger levels easy to schedule and play quality games.

Question 4
What will be your primary offensive and defensive schemes in 2021, and will you be implementing and changing anything based on your returning personnel. Who are some of the key players offensively and defensively that will be difference makers for your team this fall on Friday nights?
Response
Offensively, we will continue to be an 11 personnel, 12 personnel and 21 personnel offense. We employ a gap power scheme in the run game, play action passing game, RPO from pistol and a drop back game that utilizes 4 WR formations. We return our starting QB in Luke Haupert, who has shown tremendous improvement over the off season. We return in total, 10 starters on our offense and look for them to lead us early in the season. Tyrese Brown and Langston Leavell will carry most of the run game load, with Kamari Juarez, Kedrell Billingsley and Jordan Lee as WR’s, and Carter Wortman and Lincoln Firks as TE’s. DJ Moore, Aiden Pels, Caleb Hurt and Brandon Stuckey return on the offensive line.
Defensively, we continue to line up in a 4-2-5 scheme with multiple coverages and pressures. We return Markell Keal on the defensive front, Dominic Moon at LB and Quincy Myatt in the secondary. Also look for A’dorean Rogers to play for us in the secondary. Isaiah Maxwell also returns at a LB position.

Question #5
Northern Indiana schools, especially at the 5A and 6A level, have been running to catch up with their central Indiana counterparts for the better part of the past 20 years. There is a perception that football is declining in the North, with demographic, socio economic and population trends continuing to favor long term dominance by the Indianapolis schools Is this an irreversible trend in your opinion, and do you feel that football has been somewhat deemphasized at many schools around the state, and particularly in the northern half?
Response
There is no denying the quality of coaching and teams in central Indiana each season. Every team we have played from the Indianapolis area is very well coached and has great players. I think another contributing factor for the success of central Indiana schools, especially in 6A, is enrollment. 6A has been won by 4 schools - Carmel, Ben Davis, Warren Central and Center Grove. They are 4 of the largest schools with exceptional facilities and resources, in all of the state. With the exception of Penn HS, the enrollment of 6A schools in the north fall well below those in the MIC. I do not think it is irreversible, but rather a great challenge for our schools in the north to be more competitive at the State Championship level.

Question #6
We have discussed the Success Factor with just about all of our coaches in our summer interview series, with about half agreeing that the SF is a successful tool designed to help maintain competitive balance, and about half viewing it a negative and a tool used to penalize successful programs. Real or not, Snider seems to be one of the schools forever stuck between 5A and 6A. Would you prefer to remain in one class, or do you welcome the SF promotion that comes with deep successful runs in the postseason state tournament?
Response
We have a rich tradition of success as a football program and have benefited greatly from playing the Carmel’s (4-8), Ben Davis(1-1), Warren Centrals (3-4) and Penn’s (8-9) of the big schools. We have also experienced success against each school while being a school of half or even a third of their enrollments. Our program looks forward to these challenges and to compete against the most successful programs in the state. We have also enjoyed some new competitive matchups in class 5A. I think the biggest benefit of the SF has been some pretty cool new matchups. We will play Bishop Dwenger in the playoffs this year for the first time in 35 years. We look forward to a possible Cathedral matchup or another New Pal game, Concord, Mishawaka, etc. Regardless of 5A or 6A, once you reach the regional, semi-state level - you are going to play a great team and will be challenged to the fullest. We like the variation.

Question 7
What do you and your staff like to do when you get the opportunity to break away from football whenever those rare times present themselves?
Response
We enjoy watching other Snider sports together - basketball, wrestling, baseball, track, etc. We also get together to watch college and professional games together. We have a wide range of ages on our staff. Some guys have 30 years experience and some with less than 5, so it is a unique and fun collaborative experience together whatever we do.

Question 8
Last year was a rare off year for the Snider program, as you were out of the conference race fairly early and dropped your sectional opener at Homestead. Kids at FWSnider are not used to 5-5. How have those kids bounced back from last year, and what is the group collective expectation for this year's edition of Snider Panther Football?
Response
Nobody is happy with our performance last year. Not because we didn’t have success, but because we played less than we were capable of playing. Too many self inflicted mistakes - players and coaches. Our off season has been indicative that everyone genuinely wants to get it fixed and our work ethic and commitment to improve has been real. It is a great lesson to learn. We will get as our works deserve. And life is a series of choices and every choice has a consequence.

Thanks Coach and best of luck to you and your team this fall.
May be an image of 1 person, standing and outdoors

Distribution Score

Comment

9477341.jpg

“We will play Bishop Dwenger in the playoffs this year for the first time in 35 years.”

I was unaware the sectional matchups had already been determined...

If I am Northrop or North Side, this quote goes up in my locker room immediately...

Edited by temptation
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, temptation said:

“We will play Bishop Dwenger in the playoffs this year for the first time in 35 years.”

I was unaware the sectional matchups had already been determined...

If I am Northrop or North Side, this quote goes up in my locker room immediately...

Northrop and North Side will be non factors this year. There is more locker room reading material. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

Northrop and North Side will be non factors this year. There is more locker room reading material. 

I'm pretty certain you are right but I still firmly believe a head coaches' mantra should be to overlook no opponent...I'm sure he'd suggest his players do the same.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he mispoke.

23 minutes ago, temptation said:

I'm pretty certain you are right but I still firmly believe a head coaches' mantra should be to overlook no opponent...I'm sure he'd suggest his players do the same.

I agree, best to leave some things unsaid 🙂

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

Snider and Dwenger being in the same sectional is an epic first time event, and contrary to Dwenger/Luers and Snider/Northrop............Snider vs Dwenger is the biggest and best rivalry in Fort Wayne. And it has been for what's going on it's fifth decade. I think there is a "presumption" that they will meet..........just no guarantee. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Snider and Dwenger being in the same sectional is an epic first time event, and contrary to Dwenger/Luers and Snider/Northrop............Snider vs Dwenger is the biggest and best rivalry in Fort Wayne. And it has been for what's going on it's fifth decade. I think there is a "presumption" that they will meet..........just no guarantee. 

Yep, "if I was a betting man" you all know the rest. 

Tippy usually is on his p's and q's when speaking with the press..can't imagine him discrediting any potential sectional foe..I've learned over the past few years to translate a leaders words into what he really meant..he is suggesting that a matchup with Dwenger could be epic..I doubt he overlooks any opponent..I've said it b4 n will always believe if he n Dinan could have co-existed the program would have reached and maintained a completely different level.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

Tippy usually is on his p's and q's when speaking with the press..can't imagine him discrediting any potential sectional foe..I've learned over the past few years to translate a leaders words into what he really meant..he is suggesting that a matchup with Dwenger could be epic..I doubt he overlooks any opponent..I've said it b4 n will always believe if he n Dinan could have co-existed the program would have reached and maintained a completely different level.

What happened between Dinan and Tippmann?

We're they both on staff together?

Was there a rivalry between the two?

9 hours ago, DT said:

What happened between Dinan and Tippmann?

We're they both on staff together?

Was there a rivalry between the two?

They were coordinators with Dinan being the offensive guru n Tippman being the firey defensive leader. When Isaacs(sp) left the decision came down to these two outstanding gentlemen..both brought their own spin on how to approach the sidelines and both had HC capabilities...imo they had mutual respect for one another just stunk to lose one yet I can respect his decision on wanting to lead his own program. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2021 at 8:09 AM, Justasportsfan said:

They were coordinators with Dinan being the offensive guru n Tippman being the firey defensive leader. When Isaacs(sp) left the decision came down to these two outstanding gentlemen..both brought their own spin on how to approach the sidelines and both had HC capabilities...imo they had mutual respect for one another just stunk to lose one yet I can respect his decision on wanting to lead his own program. 

I knew they were key people on Russ's staff, can understand desire to move on. I know Tippman played for Snider, did Dinan as well?

15 hours ago, psaboy said:

I knew they were key people on Russ's staff, can understand desire to move on. I know Tippman played for Snider, did Dinan as well?

I'm pretty certain he's not an alumni of Snider.