Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF / GID Interview with Bishop Chatard Head Coach Rob Doyle

Guest DT

HHF Interview with Bishop Chatard Head Coach Rob Doyle

The 2 time defending 3A state champs bump up to 4A and look for a three peat.

Hello Coach Doyle, and thanks for visiting with us at Hoosier High School Football
Question 1
For starters, please tell us about your background. Where are you from originally, what is your educational and football playing background. When and why did you decide to get into coaching and who were some of your key mentors along the way?
Question 2
Its been a long hot summer and drills and competitions are now complete. How would you assess your teams progress this summer, where did you see some key areas of strength, and what did you identify as areas where you need to see some improvement heading into the season opener.
Question 3
We have spoken at length this summer with coaches from around the state about the critical importance of strength and speed development training as it relates to team success. many public schools, especially in Indianapolis, have tremendous facilities and dedicated coaching and have made huge progress in this area. How would you characterize the strength and speed development program at Chatard, has the school administration invested in this area in terms of coaching and equipment, and do you perceive this area as a difference maker between yourselves and most of the competition you see at the 3A and 4A level?
Question 4
Coach this will be your 5th season now since taking over from the legendary Vince Lorenzano after the 2016 season. This is clearly now your program with your stamp and your footprint. What is the core identity of Bishop Chatard football today? What will you be doing offensively an defensively this season, and will you be making any changes or adjustments based on returning personnel?
Question 5
Your team has won the past two Class 3A state championships in convincing fashion, winning 27 of 29 games in the process and continuing the Chatard legacy of dominance and championship level football. You bump up to Class 4A this year as a result of the Success Factor. We've received a mixed bag of responses about the SF from coaches throughout the state, some in favor, some against. What is your position on the Success Factor, do you see it as a reward or a penalty, and do you feel the SF has achieved its goal of contributing to the maintenance of competitive balance in Indiana High school Football?
Question 6
How many starters do your return in 2021, and who are some of the key players who will be making a difference for the Trojans on Friday nights this fall?
Question 7
For a school with a 3a enrollment, you play a rugged schedule that will test your team both early and late in the season. After opening up with Brebeuf, you will see Warren central, Roncalli and Cathedral back to back to back. I'm not sure if you should thank your AD for that schedule or take him behind the woodshed. 😀 Then you load up on 5A and 6A competition in Conference Indiana on the back half of the schedule. In general, what is your philosophy on scheduling, do you like the arrangement the Circle City has with Conference Indiana, and do you anticipate a possible merger between the two leagues to further facilitate future scheduling and reduce open dates?
Question 8
Collectively, we might be in the strongest era ever for Catholic football in Indianapolis. Roncalli is absolutely loaded, Cathedral is regarded as the 2nd best team in the state behind Center Grove, and your Trojans are coming off two consecutive dominating seasons. What are you observing at the lower levels, in the feeder systems and in CYO football that is continuing to feed varsity programs in Indy with highly talented players?
Question 9
What are your thoughts on the state tournament setup? Are you happy with the sectional assignments? Would you like to see some type of seeding?
Question 10
With a tremendously challenging regular season schedule and an equally difficult postseason path to Lucas Oil, your team will be supremely challenged this year to clear all those hurdles and put another state championship trophy in the case. What are your goals and expectations for Chatard football this season, and do you feel this years edition has what it takes to make another run to a title?

Responses
1. I'm a region Rat. Born in Gary and played CYO ball at St. Mary of the Lake and Andrean High School. I played college football at DePauw University and had the privilege of playing for Jerry Berndt, QB coach Buddy Teevens and hall of famer Nick Mourouzis. After college I considered a grad assistant type role in coaching, but my plan all along was to attend law school. After graduating law school I started coaching CYO and coached CYO for almost 15 years. During that time I was working with high school QB's and eventually went to Chatard where I coached Frosh for 12 years while assisting the varsity on Friday nights.
2. We have had a good summer and have had the opportunity to line up against several 6A schools .We have several key returning players including all state QB Carter St. John, RB Tommy Hannon(1000 yd rusher and Jack Annee who was one of our top defensive players last year. Our big task this summer was to replace our O line. Coach Quintana does a great job and on August 20, we will be ready to go.
3. We have a great strength program run by Graham Wilkerson who is a BC grad. However, our academic schedule does not permit weight training in school hours so we have a very detailed program even for guys in other sports. We have to work around the academic schedule so our guys have to commit to weight training all year round. It is a big source of bonding for us.
4. Our core values never change. We are a brotherhood. We will be in tremendous shape and we will be physical. Everything else flows from that. Our system and philosophy will remain the same. Over the last few years we have been fine tuning our approach so I would like to see us take another step forward.
5. I don't like it, but not for the reason you may think. I think it punishes public schools. I would be fine with bumping the privates 1 class up, but all privates are not alike so it is a very difficult question. Some of this is now eased when you see how many people move to districts to attend certain schools.
6. We have 6 starters on defense and 3 on offense, but some of our returning guys are very talented. On offense we have St. John at QB, Hannon at tailback and Annee at receiver so we can be very good. Our entire D linie is back and we expect a huge year from senior Brandon Salas and junior Issac Fischer up front. Our LB core is the best I have seen in our 4 years.
7. Our kids love our schedule. It is tough for sure. No off nights. The key is to stay healthy and compete against the best teams so we can be ready for the playoffs. I love the Conference Indiana affiliation and hope that it becomes permanent. It really helps our scheduling and we get some great competition.
8. I don't see it that way. Cathedral is loaded every year and Roncalli has one of the strongest football histories in Indiana football. You really cannot lump us together. Cathedral recruits all of central Indiana, so CYO is just a part of their demographics. Roncalli is the archdiocese south side school so they get most all the south side CYO without a lot of competition. Good for them for sure, but that is why their enrollment is almost twice ours. We are the north side archdiocese school, but our northside kids pick from us, Brebeuf , Cathedral and now Park Tudor. We live by a totally different set of rules than the other north side schools. I coached CYO for a long time and Bruce Scifris is doing a great job with CYO. It is thriving but the football numbers are down vs. the days I coached. Lots of parents are holding kids out of football. Luckily our numbers have stayed steady and are very good for a school our size.
9. Love the tournament. I played in the days of play in so this is great. It has elevated football above basketball in my view. Seeding sectional would be fine by me but really it's the 6A schools that really need it.
10. Like everybody, our goal is to play in Lucas oil. As you know, lots of things have to line up just right so we will try to do things the right way and if we are fortunate enough to make it again, that is always a goal.

Thanks Coach and best of luck this season.

coach-072617-7-2col (1).jpg

HHFLogo.jpg

2 hours ago, DT said:
HHF Interview with Bishop Chatard Head Coach Rob Doyle

The 2 time defending 3A state champs bump up to 4A and look for a three peat.

Hello Coach Doyle, and thanks for visiting with us at Hoosier High School Football
Question 1
For starters, please tell us about your background. Where are you from originally, what is your educational and football playing background. When and why did you decide to get into coaching and who were some of your key mentors along the way?
Question 2
Its been a long hot summer and drills and competitions are now complete. How would you assess your teams progress this summer, where did you see some key areas of strength, and what did you identify as areas where you need to see some improvement heading into the season opener.
Question 3
We have spoken at length this summer with coaches from around the state about the critical importance of strength and speed development training as it relates to team success. many public schools, especially in Indianapolis, have tremendous facilities and dedicated coaching and have made huge progress in this area. How would you characterize the strength and speed development program at Chatard, has the school administration invested in this area in terms of coaching and equipment, and do you perceive this area as a difference maker between yourselves and most of the competition you see at the 3A and 4A level?
Question 4
Coach this will be your 5th season now since taking over from the legendary Vince Lorenzano after the 2016 season. This is clearly now your program with your stamp and your footprint. What is the core identity of Bishop Chatard football today? What will you be doing offensively an defensively this season, and will you be making any changes or adjustments based on returning personnel?
Question 5
Your team has won the past two Class 3A state championships in convincing fashion, winning 27 of 29 games in the process and continuing the Chatard legacy of dominance and championship level football. You bump up to Class 4A this year as a result of the Success Factor. We've received a mixed bag of responses about the SF from coaches throughout the state, some in favor, some against. What is your position on the Success Factor, do you see it as a reward or a penalty, and do you feel the SF has achieved its goal of contributing to the maintenance of competitive balance in Indiana High school Football?
Question 6
How many starters do your return in 2021, and who are some of the key players who will be making a difference for the Trojans on Friday nights this fall?
Question 7
For a school with a 3a enrollment, you play a rugged schedule that will test your team both early and late in the season. After opening up with Brebeuf, you will see Warren central, Roncalli and Cathedral back to back to back. I'm not sure if you should thank your AD for that schedule or take him behind the woodshed. 😀 Then you load up on 5A and 6A competition in Conference Indiana on the back half of the schedule. In general, what is your philosophy on scheduling, do you like the arrangement the Circle City has with Conference Indiana, and do you anticipate a possible merger between the two leagues to further facilitate future scheduling and reduce open dates?
Question 8
Collectively, we might be in the strongest era ever for Catholic football in Indianapolis. Roncalli is absolutely loaded, Cathedral is regarded as the 2nd best team in the state behind Center Grove, and your Trojans are coming off two consecutive dominating seasons. What are you observing at the lower levels, in the feeder systems and in CYO football that is continuing to feed varsity programs in Indy with highly talented players?
Question 9
What are your thoughts on the state tournament setup? Are you happy with the sectional assignments? Would you like to see some type of seeding?
Question 10
With a tremendously challenging regular season schedule and an equally difficult postseason path to Lucas Oil, your team will be supremely challenged this year to clear all those hurdles and put another state championship trophy in the case. What are your goals and expectations for Chatard football this season, and do you feel this years edition has what it takes to make another run to a title?

Responses
1. I'm a region Rat. Born in Gary and played CYO ball at St. Mary of the Lake and Andrean High School. I played college football at DePauw University and had the privilege of playing for Jerry Berndt, QB coach Buddy Teevens and hall of famer Nick Mourouzis. After college I considered a grad assistant type role in coaching, but my plan all along was to attend law school. After graduating law school I started coaching CYO and coached CYO for almost 15 years. During that time I was working with high school QB's and eventually went to Chatard where I coached Frosh for 12 years while assisting the varsity on Friday nights.
2. We have had a good summer and have had the opportunity to line up against several 6A schools .We have several key returning players including all state QB Carter St. John, RB Tommy Hannon(1000 yd rusher and Jack Annee who was one of our top defensive players last year. Our big task this summer was to replace our O line. Coach Quintana does a great job and on August 20, we will be ready to go.
3. We have a great strength program run by Graham Wilkerson who is a BC grad. However, our academic schedule does not permit weight training in school hours so we have a very detailed program even for guys in other sports. We have to work around the academic schedule so our guys have to commit to weight training all year round. It is a big source of bonding for us.
4. Our core values never change. We are a brotherhood. We will be in tremendous shape and we will be physical. Everything else flows from that. Our system and philosophy will remain the same. Over the last few years we have been fine tuning our approach so I would like to see us take another step forward.
5. I don't like it, but not for the reason you may think. I think it punishes public schools. I would be fine with bumping the privates 1 class up, but all privates are not alike so it is a very difficult question. Some of this is now eased when you see how many people move to districts to attend certain schools.
6. We have 6 starters on defense and 3 on offense, but some of our returning guys are very talented. On offense we have St. John at QB, Hannon at tailback and Annee at receiver so we can be very good. Our entire D linie is back and we expect a huge year from senior Brandon Salas and junior Issac Fischer up front. Our LB core is the best I have seen in our 4 years.
7. Our kids love our schedule. It is tough for sure. No off nights. The key is to stay healthy and compete against the best teams so we can be ready for the playoffs. I love the Conference Indiana affiliation and hope that it becomes permanent. It really helps our scheduling and we get some great competition.
8. I don't see it that way. Cathedral is loaded every year and Roncalli has one of the strongest football histories in Indiana football. You really cannot lump us together. Cathedral recruits all of central Indiana, so CYO is just a part of their demographics. Roncalli is the archdiocese south side school so they get most all the south side CYO without a lot of competition. Good for them for sure, but that is why their enrollment is almost twice ours. We are the north side archdiocese school, but our northside kids pick from us, Brebeuf , Cathedral and now Park Tudor. We live by a totally different set of rules than the other north side schools. I coached CYO for a long time and Bruce Scifris is doing a great job with CYO. It is thriving but the football numbers are down vs. the days I coached. Lots of parents are holding kids out of football. Luckily our numbers have stayed steady and are very good for a school our size.
9. Love the tournament. I played in the days of play in so this is great. It has elevated football above basketball in my view. Seeding sectional would be fine by me but really it's the 6A schools that really need it.
10. Like everybody, our goal is to play in Lucas oil. As you know, lots of things have to line up just right so we will try to do things the right way and if we are fortunate enough to make it again, that is always a goal.

Thanks Coach and best of luck this season.

coach-072617-7-2col (1).jpg

HHFLogo.jpg

How about that answer to #3!  Love the balance between academics and athletics.  Seems they walk the walk that others talk and truly put kids first.

Chatard gained a fan with this one.  Thanks as always @DT

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

The man has it figured out, very relaxed. And you can be when you organize and prepare as they do. 
As far as the success factor, he has a valid point. I think no team should ever bump to 6a, and never have to bump more than 1 class, from your enrollment class. 

Thanks DT, I've really enjoyed these interview series!  Rob Doyle is as good as they come.  X's and O's definitely, but more importantly as a role model and leader of young men.  I am very grateful that my son was able to play for and learn from Rob and his staff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Pretty obvious, no?

No, not to me it isn't.  It seems it's pretty equal in terms of number of schools having been bumped (although I'm sure I've missed a few)...

P/P: Cathedral, Chatard, Roncalli, Andrean, FW Dwenger, FW Luers, LCC, Ev. Memorial

Public: NewPal, Columbus East, Southridge, Rensselaer Central, FW Snyder, Pioneer, Linton 

9 minutes ago, tango said:

No, not to me it isn't.  It seems it's pretty equal in terms of number of schools having been bumped (although I'm sure I've missed a few)...

P/P: Cathedral, Chatard, Roncalli, Andrean, FW Dwenger, FW Luers, LCC, Ev. Memorial

Public: NewPal, Columbus East, Southridge, Rensselaer Central, FW Snyder, Pioneer, Linton 

But it is no secret that P/P schools reload faster whereas public schools seem to get punished for having a couple of "once in a lifetime" classes.

• Haha 1