Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New albany @ Bloomington South

1 hour ago, southend said:

New albany beat South last year in the opener. It is at Bloomington Friday. Albany also beat Jeff in the regular season then lost to them in the sectional. I'm curious 

ly watchin what south does this year. Second year for this coach.

New Albany will be the biggest threat to Columbus East' 104 game conference win streak in a long time. They return just about everyone from last years team. I look at them as being a strong team this year. 

1 hour ago, Olympian06 said:

New Albany will be the biggest threat to Columbus East' 104 game conference win streak in a long time. They return just about everyone from last years team. I look at them as being a strong team this year. 

So do you even give South a 50% chance? On home turf. 2 four star move ins. 

1 hour ago, southend said:

So do you even give South a 50% chance? On home turf. 2 four star move ins. 

I don't know what South returns, but they are always a solid program. You also can't discount that nearly two hour road trip NA will have to go on. New Albany should have some expectations in front of them, but it doesn't mean a win is a guarantee. I'd expect a good game. 

The 2 McCullough brothers (the above referenced 4 Stars) quite likely change the dynamic of this game.  The oldest being the #2 Indiana Senior college prospect in the State and the youngest the #2 Indiana Junior college prospect in the State.  

4 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

They don’t play any defense though. Never have. That’s always going to be their issue.

I have no links with anyone on South's team to include the coaching staff, so the only information I have on the team is what I've both read and heard which is limited. South's scrimmage with Lawrence Central was a mixed bag which is often the case in these scrimmages. New Albany ran all over South last season in the playoff game to the tune of over 400 yards on the ground if my memory is correct. It was run, run, run, and run some more for the Bulldogs in that game, and why not. South has had to replace almost that entire defense so New Albany won't be seeing the same defense player-wise. South has added the two four-star players on defense in senior Dasan McCullough at the LB position (he was held out of the scrimmage for precautionary reasons), and his brother, Daeh, a junior, at the safety position. Dasan will be a two-way player playing at WR also. His bother, Daeh, will also see some time at the RB position. South has several returning o-linemen that have beefed up based on what I have read, with experienced junior Zach David at QB. The offense will be just fine based on my limited knowledge of the situation, but the defense will be a huge question mark. I assume New Albany will concentrate on the running game in the opener considering that was their bread and butter last season and South's run defense was like a sieve in last year's game, and will be almost entirely new. This is a pretty simplistic view of things, but that's my limited knowledge of things going into the season opener.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:33 PM, Olympian06 said:

New Albany will be zero threat to Columbus East' streak this year.. although East lost 28-7 to Whiteland, it was pretty competitive the entire game. South is absolutely taking New Albany to the woodshed.. same ole New Albany it seems, zero defense.. Bloomington South is a pretty darn good football team as well! Congrats Panthers. 

40 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

New Albany will be zero threat to Columbus East' streak this year.. although East lost 28-7 to Whiteland, it was pretty competitive the entire game. South is absolutely taking New Albany to the woodshed.. same ole New Albany it seems, zero defense.. Bloomington South is a pretty darn good football team as well! Congrats Panthers. 

I have to admit that I was extremely surprised how South dominated on both sides of the ball, especially after having to replace pretty much all of their starters on defense. They gave up 62 yards rushing on 31 carries to a team that ran for over 400 yards on them last season and had most of their starters back from last season. South's starting QB in junior Zach David had a really solid game although I didn't get his final stats, and he had limited varsity experience last season while being the starting QB for the JV team. He had one pick that was a tipped pass by the receiver, but it was on him since the pass was off target. Their special teams were sloppy tonight giving up two TDs on kickoff returns as well as missing two PATs, so that area needs to be shored up. It's one game, but a great start. I'm sure New Albany, with all of the experience they had coming back, has to be disappointed, especially with the final margin. If I'm not mistaken, they play Gibson Southern next. 

9 hours ago, ptr said:

I have to admit that I was extremely surprised how South dominated on both sides of the ball, especially after having to replace pretty much all of their starters on defense. They gave up 62 yards rushing on 31 carries to a team that ran for over 400 yards on them last season and had most of their starters back from last season. South's starting QB in junior Zach David had a really solid game although I didn't get his final stats, and he had limited varsity experience last season while being the starting QB for the JV team. He had one pick that was a tipped pass by the receiver, but it was on him since the pass was off target. Their special teams were sloppy tonight giving up two TDs on kickoff returns as well as missing two PATs, so that area needs to be shored up. It's one game, but a great start. I'm sure New Albany, with all of the experience they had coming back, has to be disappointed, especially with the final margin. If I'm not mistaken, they play Gibson Southern next. 

You are correct.  GS will travel to New Albany next week.