Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NLC - 2022

I don't have any real incite into the Plymouth organization, however, something had to have happened after the 2019 season.  Looking over at John Harrell's site (great site that I love), it appears Plymouth has only had 1 losing since 1994.  From 2019 to the present, the team has not competed.  I've been following the GID since the early 2000's (not a big poster / my last log in was deactivated I believe) and I do not recall any big Plymouth posters on here to get some real incite into their situation.

Edited by 00NWP

1 hour ago, Wedgebuster said:

Wow, and from what I understand Plymouth kinda dominated that series for a long time......correct? 

I do not think I would say dominated. Plymouth did run off a streak from 2003 to 2019 in which they went 14-3 against the Tigers. However, 5 of those victories were by 7 points or less and extremely competitive games. If the ball bounces one way or the other in those games, the series easily could have been 9-8 during that time period.

Since the 1994 season (as far back as John Harrell's site goes), the series is 17-12 in favor of the Rockies. 10 of the 29 games have been decided by 7 points or fewer.

1 hour ago, 00NWP said:

I don't have any real incite into the Plymouth organization, however, something had to have happened after the 2019 season.

I cannot remember where I heard specifically, but I think around this time something changed within the greater Plymouth school corporation. I can't remember what it was, but I feel like I remember Coach Barron complaining about something in an interview once. But it was impacting the numbers and the lower levels, like the middle school level. Maybe they had to get bussed somewhere else for practices or something I dunno but it impacted turnout and numbers and we're now seeing the result of that decision as those kids make their way into the high school program.

2 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

Does Plymouth field 3 levels of Football?  How many NLC teams don't have 3 levels?

I don't mean this in a condescending way... but I just gave you 3 levels of football scores between Warsaw and Plymouth lol

That being said - I feel like over the past few years, there have been some teams in the NLC that did not have full Freshman teams, because Warsaw's freshmen team had to play a few random teams (I think they played Mishawaka Marian one week and maybe FW Snider another week).

In regard to 4A teams having 3 levels, I can say this year is the first year in 3 or so years that NorthWood has had a Freshman team.  Im not sure if that was due to numbers or coaching desicions.  The freshmen played JV and spotty in Varsity games.  I can say if it was a coaching desicion to not play a freshmen schedule, it has some pros and cons.  Cons, the young men dont get to see the field much their freshmen year.  Pros, by playing "up" in competition, it prepares them a little better for Friday nights.  In my opinion, this is why NorthWood is having sucess this year.  The 18-19 senors on the team have been playing "up" for three years and it has payed off.   Im glad to say, this year I am pretty sure we have about 30-35, which is a large number for NorthWood.  With that said, NorthWood is a tradition rich football program, their young football league has good numbers and I can see our freshmen numbers staying at a level in which there will be freshmen team for the upcoming season.

When you're winning, like Northwood, its a lot easier to convince kids that their Freshman year of not playing a whole lot is worth it.  When you're not, and you're a Freshman on JV not playing, or getting your a$$ handed to you, AND your losing......it's a lot harder to sell.  Then you enter that downward spiral......lower numbers= lack of success......lack of success then leads to lower and lower numbers.  

Hope Plymouth can eventually get it sorted out.   We've had some good games with them over the years. 

Once again 4-0 on my picks last week... but I'm sure most had the same predictions. Brings me up to 21-3 for my record on the year. NLC Game of the Year #1 will be happening in Nappanee tonight as undefeated NorthWood welcomes undefeated Warsaw. At the very least, a partial championship will be decided over these next 3 weeks as NorthWood, Warsaw, and Mishawaka all play each other round robin style. Let's get to the predictions.

Concord (1-3, 0-2 NLC) at Wawasee (1-3, 1-1 NLC): The Warriors won the Toilet Bowl last week and put up a good offensive showing against a hapless Pilgrams squad. Meanwhile, the Concord defense did everything they could to help keep them in the game against Warsaw. That flying high feeling for Wawasee ends after one week. I see the Minutemen defense shutting down the Warriors, while their offense (which is only averaging 7 points a game!) does enough to win a tight one... CONCORD BY 14

Northridge (1-3, 0-2 NLC) at Goshen (1-3, 1-1 NLC): If only these two squads were having great seasons, man-o-man would the story lines be extra juicy! Both teams got molly-whopped last week, but I think this has a chance to be a really good game tonight. Not only is Coach Wogomon hosting his former team, but Coach Eppley was an assistant coach and former player for Wogomon during their days at Wawasee. The Raider offense is hot and cold, while the Redhawks offense is more just lukewarm. I'll go with the team who I believe has the better overall defense (interesting side note, Goshen started this season 4 of 5 games at home. They'll end the season with 3 of 4 on the road)... NORTHRIDGE BY 7

Plymouth (0-4, 0-2 NLC) at 5A #2 Mishawaka (4-0, 2-0 NLC): I honestly just don't feel like spending much time on this won. The Cavemen get one more week to be healthy and shore things up on both sides of the ball. This will be a running clock in the second half... MISHAWAKA BY 49

6A #11 Warsaw (4-0, 2-0 NLC) at 4A #5 NorthWood (4-0, 2-0 NLC): The Battle of the Big Cats in Nappanee tonight should be a good one! I wish I was able to make it to the game tonight, but I'll do my best to listen in via radio (unless anyone knows of a location for streaming?). Much like last week for the Tigers, they are heading to a place they have not won in some time. The last victory for them at Andrews Field was 10 years ago in 2012. They have lost 4 straight in Nappanee, including the last 2 trips that were EACH 1 point losses. As good as the Panther offense has been to start the season, it feels like their defense is not getting the credit it deserves either. Granted - I don't think any of the teams they have faced so far would be confused with offensive juggernauts, but they are only giving up 10 points be game. In previous seasons, I would likely have picked against my Tigers here, mostly because of their pass defense. Concord and Carroll last season, Homestead the year before that, whenever Warsaw faced a team with a potent passing offense, it usually spelled quite a bit of trouble for them. However, I am going to drink the orange Kool-Aid tonight! GO TIGERS!!! ... WARSAW BY 2

Using @hhpatriot04 predictor tool

NorthWood (79.73) is a 2-point favorite (1.45-point home-field advantage) vs. Warsaw (79.05) and has about a 54.89% chance of winning.

Concord (58.14) is a 21-point favorite (1.45-point home-field advantage) vs. Wawasee (35.61) and has about a 86.999% chance of winning.

Northridge (61.3) is a 14-point favorite (1.45-point home-field advantage) vs. Goshen (45.88) and has about a 77.999% chance of winning.

Mishawaka (71.25) is a 51-point favorite (1.45-point home-field advantage) vs. Plymouth (21.6) and has about a 99.1% chance of winning.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this, I think Goshen's first-half second-half splits are mostly due to the fact that they have a lot of guys playing both ways. Hard to maintain that level of play when you're sucking wind and the other team isn't.

Goshen has looked really tough at a lot of times this year. If Coach Wogomon can get the numbers back up, I think in a year or two, you'll see a very different Goshen team than we've seen in recent years.

• Like 2

Another week in the books!  Other that the NorthWood / Warsaw game, I dont think there were many suprises with the outcomes of last weeks games.  I had Goshen beating Northridge...alas...Goshen failed me.  The program is still on the upswing and making progress and I am still on team Goshen.  Also, I was suprised that Wawasee (while being shut out) that kept it that close to Concord...its the small things in life.  Poor Plymouth...thats all i have to say about that game.  Now in regard to the NorthWood / Warsaw game.  I truly thought it was going to be a last person scores..wins...kind of game, and that is how it started.  I was shocked at how well NorthWood's defense held up against Warsaw's running game.  When they walked out to the field, I thought there would be problems judging by the size of their big boys compaired to the size of NorthWood's big boys (looking up at Warsaw's).  NorthWoods' O and D lines actually won in the trenches...again...did not see that coming.  With that said...and as a NorthWood follower...if this game is a preview of Mishawaka...I like NorthWoods' chances at winning the NLC outright.  Anyway...on to Friday:

Goshen V. Concord:  I think Goshen will make this game competitive; however, Concord will grind out the win late in the game.  I think it will be close.  Concord by 10

NorthWood V. Plymouth: Not much to say here.  I think NorthWood will get alot of their younger guys some playing time and rest some of their starters that got banged up in the Warsaw game.  NorthWood by 42

Wawasee V. Northridge:  Another game that there is not much to say.  Northridge should win with no problems.  Northridge by 17

And the game of the week

Mishawaka V. Warsaw:  This game will be a slugfest.  If you like low scoring affairs, this will be the game to watch.  Which team will run "Bart Ball" the best.  Ive looked at both teams common foes and it appears the Warasaw has had more offensive sucess againt them; however, i dont know either teams situation in those games.  Seeing Warsaw play NorthWood, I was not to impressed with their (Warsaw) run defense.  NorthWood is not a great running team; however, they had the most rushing yards of the season against them.  Mishawaka has appeared to be flawless in their offense operation however...the Northridge game sticks out to me.  I was not there, nor do I have any incite into how the game played out...but Northridge does not impress me this year.  I am going to be a homer on this game, and take Warsaw over Mishawaka.  I say this selfishly as if Warsaw wins, it pretty much guarantees NorthWood a share of the NLC title.  With my homer ways known, I think it will be close.  Warsaw by a field goal?

On 9/19/2022 at 10:58 AM, 00NWP said:

Another week in the books!  Other that the NorthWood / Warsaw game, I dont think there were many suprises with the outcomes of last weeks games.  I had Goshen beating Northridge...alas...Goshen failed me.  The program is still on the upswing and making progress and I am still on team Goshen.  Also, I was suprised that Wawasee (while being shut out) that kept it that close to Concord...its the small things in life.  Poor Plymouth...thats all i have to say about that game.  Now in regard to the NorthWood / Warsaw game.  I truly thought it was going to be a last person scores..wins...kind of game, and that is how it started.  I was shocked at how well NorthWood's defense held up against Warsaw's running game.  When they walked out to the field, I thought there would be problems judging by the size of their big boys compaired to the size of NorthWood's big boys (looking up at Warsaw's).  NorthWoods' O and D lines actually won in the trenches...again...did not see that coming.  With that said...and as a NorthWood follower...if this game is a preview of Mishawaka...I like NorthWoods' chances at winning the NLC outright.  Anyway...on to Friday:

Goshen V. Concord:  I think Goshen will make this game competitive; however, Concord will grind out the win late in the game.  I think it will be close.  Concord by 10

NorthWood V. Plymouth: Not much to say here.  I think NorthWood will get alot of their younger guys some playing time and rest some of their starters that got banged up in the Warsaw game.  NorthWood by 42

Wawasee V. Northridge:  Another game that there is not much to say.  Northridge should win with no problems.  Northridge by 17

And the game of the week

Mishawaka V. Warsaw:  This game will be a slugfest.  If you like low scoring affairs, this will be the game to watch.  Which team will run "Bart Ball" the best.  Ive looked at both teams common foes and it appears the Warasaw has had more offensive sucess againt them; however, i dont know either teams situation in those games.  Seeing Warsaw play NorthWood, I was not to impressed with their (Warsaw) run defense.  NorthWood is not a great running team; however, they had the most rushing yards of the season against them.  Mishawaka has appeared to be flawless in their offense operation however...the Northridge game sticks out to me.  I was not there, nor do I have any incite into how the game played out...but Northridge does not impress me this year.  I am going to be a homer on this game, and take Warsaw over Mishawaka.  I say this selfishly as if Warsaw wins, it pretty much guarantees NorthWood a share of the NLC title.  With my homer ways known, I think it will be close.  Warsaw by a field goal?

I have no idea how the last Warsaw got that last touchdown..🙄🤔🙄 Cavemen vs Northwood should be a good one.

Thoughts on last Friday and this week:

Not a whole lot of suprises from last week.  I thought the Mishawaka / Warsaw game was going to be a better matchup.  I was wrong.  Warsaw didnt really show up to play...one of the touchdowns...really wasnt a touchdown.  Not really sure what happened there but things like that happen.  Observations from the NorthWood V. Plymoth game:  The score was not suprising, however, i was suprised by the number of kids on the team and the fan turnout.  Typically teams that are not producing wins, have low numbers on the sidelines as well as fans.  Not the case with Plymouth.  Also, listening to the Plymouth post game radio station on my drive home, they were talking about the recent Plymouth freshman win.  They said most of the Varsity team was present on the sidelines for said game supporting their younger teammates.  Plymouth had what appeared to be good atheletes (Size / Speed) and good numbers.  Hopefully after his first year, the coach can turn that program around.

Thoughts on the upcoming week:

Concord V. Northridge:  I think this will be a great game.  Both teams are on (in my opinion) the same playing level.  I think ths game comes down to what defense shows up for Northridge.  I am going with the home team in a close game.  Northridge by 7.

Plymouth V. Goshen:  Not a whole lot to say here.  Goshen just doesnt seem to play for 4 quarters.  I gave my thoughts on Plymouth above.  I think Goshen wins this game, but not a blow out.  Goshen by 14.

Warsaw V. Wawasee: I dont think Wawasee will be able to stop Warsaw's run game.  This game could be a repeat of the Warsaw Plymouth score.  Warsaw by 42

NorthWood V. Mishawaka: This is the game of the year for both teams (regualr season).  The victor will have the out right conference title.  Other than the 2 OT game against Northridge, Mishawaka hasnt really had any issues this year.  I only saw the highlights from that game, but it appeared that Northridge was able to run the ball against Mishawaka's defense.  I think the key to this game will be NorthWood's run defense.  At the start of the year, I thought NorthWood's defensive line was going to struggle (undersized and young).  I was wrong...their defense plays disciplined and everyone plays their role.  I dont think either team is coming into Friday night questioning what the other team is going to do.  Mishawaka is going to run their "bart ball" and NorthWood is going to throw the ball all over the field.  Can NorthWood repeat what they did against Warsaw and stop their run game...does Mishawaka have the DB's to cover NorthWood's recievers? Im going to be a homer in this game.  I think NorthWood will get an early lead forcing Mishawaka to change their game plan a bit.  If that does happen, I dont think Mishawaka can keep up with NorthWood's passing game.  Ill take NorthWood by 13.

I watched a couple of videos from parents whom were recording their children.  It appeard that Warsaws running back was laying on the ground behind the "scrum" of players.  The officials were all running to the group of players when the back jumped from the ground and began running.  They ruled it a touchdown.  I wanst there...but it was an odd series of events.

34 minutes ago, 00NWP said:

Plymouth V. Goshen:  Not a whole lot to say here.  Goshen just doesnt seem to play for 4 quarters.  I gave my thoughts on Plymouth above.  I think Goshen wins this game, but not a blow out.  Goshen by 14.

Goshen's QB broke his collarbone midway through the second half, which made things difficult going forward. Fortunately it sounds like he's going to be fine, but that was really rough for him and the team to deal with.

Sorry for being MIA for over a week! Travelled for work last week and was busy on the days I was home and just could not dedicate myself here like I want to.

Very excited for the NorthWood vs Mishawaka game this week! Both teams made my Tigers look like kitties each of the last two Friday nights. Both teams simply have more athletes than Warsaw this year. Super impressed with both squads and will be cheering for them in their respective class tournaments.

Sad to hear about Goshen's QB injury. He's a great kid and one of the main reasons I had decently high hopes for them this year. Looks like I'll miss out on that preseason prediction.

All in all, I would say this week will likely be the "best" week of NLC play. The two at the top will battle, while the Concord/Northridge and Plymouth/Goshen games could be good games competition wise. I have a strong feeling the Tigers will take out their frustrations on Wawasee in Syracuse for the "W" trophy.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:40 AM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Sorry for being MIA for over a week! Travelled for work last week and was busy on the days I was home and just could not dedicate myself here like I want to.

Very excited for the NorthWood vs Mishawaka game this week! Both teams made my Tigers look like kitties each of the last two Friday nights. Both teams simply have more athletes than Warsaw this year. Super impressed with both squads and will be cheering for them in their respective class tournaments.

Sad to hear about Goshen's QB injury. He's a great kid and one of the main reasons I had decently high hopes for them this year. Looks like I'll miss out on that preseason prediction.

All in all, I would say this week will likely be the "best" week of NLC play. The two at the top will battle, while the Concord/Northridge and Plymouth/Goshen games could be good games competition wise. I have a strong feeling the Tigers will take out their frustrations on Wawasee in Syracuse for the "W" trophy.

Thoughts on NW vs Mishawaka...

14 hours ago, Crusty said:

Thoughts on NW vs Mishawaka...

If Mishawaka does not turn the ball over and can put together long drives (aka run Bart Ball to perfection), I think they have a good chance on winning this game. Being at home definitely helps. But man-o-man do the Panthers have some athletes! At the flip of a switch, things can go downhill in a hurry for their opponents, which is exactly what happened in the Warsaw vs NorthWood game.

I concur with NLCTigerFan.  This game will come down to how well Mishawaka runs the ball and controls the clock.  NorthWood is a pass heavy offense (however they ran alot against Warsaw).  Mishawaka will need to keep NorthWood's offense off of the field.  NorthWood will have to come up with a couple of stops / turnovers and capitalize and score off of those.  I think a key to this game will be NorthWood's kicker.  He is a fantastic kicker, and those 3 points may mean the difference in the game.  

• Like 1

Truly been out of the loop over the last two weeks unfortunately. Can't do my normal write ups like I enjoy - but just a quick breakdown for tonight:

NorthWood at Mishawaka: The psuedo NLC Conference Championship game as I do not see either team losing the final two weeks of the season. The winner here will all but clinch AT LEAST a share of the conference crown. Should be an absolute gem of a game in the Princess City tonight. Both teams are without a doubt the most athletic squads in the conference. If Mishawaka runs "Bart Ball" like they're capable of, I think they can pull out the win. The Panthers are dangerous on offense though, and have a stout defense that doesn't get nearly the praise it should. I'll go with the home team in a close one... MISHAWAKA BY 2

Concord at Northridge: Should be a competitive ball game. Both teams riding 2-game winning streaks in the middle of the season after each played Wawasee and Goshen the last 2 weeks. The Minutemen finally scored more than 16 points last week and have a stout defense. I just think the Raiders are a little bit better, but think this is a barn burner. Another home victory... NORTHRIDGE BY 7

Plymouth at Goshen: This is the only chance either team has at adding a victory the rest of this season. It will be interesting to see what the Redhawks do on offense following the loss of Bechtel at QB. This could be an extremely ugly game of football. Plymouth is just so putrid on the offensive side of the ball and are also on a 17 game losing streak. If they don't win tonight, that streak will extend into next season... GOSHEN BY 6

Warsaw at Wawasee: The "W" Game has been dominated by the Tigers the last decade, winning 7 in a row and 8 of the last 9 matchups in this series. The Warriors have a gauntlent to end the season taking on Warsaw, NorthWood and Mishawaka. YIKES! I think there are two options when it comes to this game. Either A) the Tigers come out flat after back-to-back deflating losses and struggle against a lesser opponent or B) the Tigers come out and take out all their frustration on the Warriors. Either way, I still see the Tigers taking home the "W" Trophy in Syracuse tonight... WARSAW BY 28

I want to give a shoutout to the gentlemen on the Goshen football team. Basically nothing has gone right for them luck-wise this season. They lost their D1 recruit lineman to injury after two games. They lost their first-string and second-string QBs to season ending surgery in the same week. They've had so many injuries and departures from the program that they've had to cancel the rest of the JV season. (All of this came from Coach Wogomon on the postgame radio show tonight.)

But despite all that, they managed to pull together after a crushing loss last week where nothing went right and heads were hanging and gut out a last-minute win. Doesn't matter against who or where or how, winning in a situation like that takes guts. Hats off to them and I pray that next season, they avoid injuries and can continue to build.

• Like 2