Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jim Harbaugh and the Chicago Bears are a Natural Fit

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

I've always had a ton of respect for Michigan and their value of the student athlete. Wherever Harbaugh ranks, it's pretty comical that that someone can claim that he's not one of the ten best college coaches in America. 

I could actually make a case for top five on a good day due to the student athlete dynamic you mentioned above.  Recruiting at places like Notre Dame and Michigan is often like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I am a big fan of coaches at all levels and in all sports that can do more with less and succeed despite barriers and roadblocks that other schools don’t have to worry about.

I’ve said this multiple times but I am unsold on Dabo as a great coach.  This year will tell me all.  I think he’s an excellent recruiter and had two great coordinators but this next fall will determine where he falls on my list.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

I could actually make a case for top five on a good day due to the student athlete dynamic you mentioned above.  Recruiting at places like Notre Dame and Michigan is often like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I am a big fan of coaches at all levels and in all sports that can do more with less and succeed despite barriers and roadblocks that other schools don’t have to worry about.

I’ve said this multiple times but I am unsold on Dabo as a great coach.  This year will tell me all.  I think he’s an excellent recruiter and had two great coordinators but this next fall will determine where he falls on my list.

I absolutely agree. How would Harbaugh or Kelly do if they had the amount of 5-star guys that Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and even Georgia have? I do like the Top 10 though, but that order could be juggled around given all coaches are on a level playing field. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BTF said:

I absolutely agree. How would Harbaugh or Kelly do if they had the amount of 5-star guys that Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and even Georgia have? I do like the Top 10 though, but that order could be juggled around given all coaches are on a level playing field. 

Question I have posed before to others and am anxious about your take.

Why does Kyle Whittingham of Utah seemingly get ignored by these lists?

I think he’s amazing and am honestly surprised he hasn’t been lured away from Utah by now.

Maybe even David Shaw also…

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Question I have posed before to others and am anxious about your take.

Why does Kyle Whittingham of Utah seemingly get ignored by these lists?

I think he’s amazing and am honestly surprised he hasn’t been lured away from Utah by now.

Maybe even David Shaw also…

Good point about Whittingham. I think I said in a previous post that 20 coaches could do with Saban's talent as he does. Whittingham certainly is on the list. His teams ranked in the Top 25 in five of the last eight seasons despite not having at Top 25 recruiting class........at least I don't think they do, I'd have to research it. How would he do in Ryan Day's position with OSU's talent? Scary thought actually. Hell, this guy could be Top 5. 

David Shaw? Maybe Top 30. I'm sure I could come up with 25 other coaches that I'd rather lead my program. Actually, if you take character into account, I could probably only come up with 10 or 15. He hasn't done enough in recent seasons to qualify as a Top 20 coach in my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, BTF said:

Good point about Whittingham. I think I said in a previous post that 20 coaches could do with Saban's talent as he does. Whittingham certainly is on the list. His teams ranked in the Top 25 in five of the last eight seasons despite not having at Top 25 recruiting class........at least I don't think they do, I'd have to research it. How would he do in Ryan Day's position with OSU's talent? Scary thought actually. Hell, this guy could be Top 5. 

David Shaw? Maybe Top 30. I'm sure I could come up with 25 other coaches that I'd rather lead my program. Actually, if you take character into account, I could probably only come up with 10 or 15. He hasn't done enough in recent seasons to qualify as a Top 20 coach in my opinion. 

I can see that.  I’m not sure I’d go 20 deep on Saban being replaced but your point remains.  

Who do you think are the coordinators/young coaches that will take the next step and challenge those on this list?

Despite what he says, I’m not buying Deion as a “lifer” at Jackson State…if FSU underachieves again this fall I think he gets a call.

Jim Leonard and Derek Mason also intrigue me.

17 minutes ago, temptation said:

I can see that.  I’m not sure I’d go 20 deep on Saban being replaced but your point remains.  

Who do you think are the coordinators/young coaches that will take the next step and challenge those on this list?

Despite what he says, I’m not buying Deion as a “lifer” at Jackson State…if FSU underachieves again this fall I think he gets a call.

Jim Leonard and Derek Mason also intrigue me.

I think Deion has an agenda at Jackson State. They seem to be a good fit for some reason. The man's ego is pretty off the charts......in a likable kind of way. Imagine what it would do for his ego if he turned Jackson State into a Top 10 program? Is his financial situation in order enough for him to turn 5m down from Florida State to continue at Jackson State for half a million? We all know money is pretty important to the man. I guess we'll see what happens. 

It's hard to discount Leonard's accomplishments at Wisconsin. The million dollar question becomes whether or not that success translates to success at the head coaching position. We see a lot of well paid coordinators take on a head coaching position and fail miserably. If I was a coordinator, I would want to be a guy like Dick Lebeua. I'm well paid and my head coach doesn't challenge me because I'm so good at what I do. And less stress. 

Same with Derek Mason. If I'm making 1.1 million as a coordinator, I'm probably leaving well enough alone. 

I like Alex Grinch. Unless he's in some kind of a comfort zone, I think he'll be leading a big time program sooner than later. 

On 2/3/2022 at 6:53 PM, Footballking16 said:

I’ll wait for that contract extension. He already showed his hand, and failed.

I think this is likely the final nail in the coffin of @Footballking16

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33305830/coach-jim-harbaugh-agrees-new-5-year-contract-michigan-wolverines%3fplatform=amp

My BOOTS on the ground tell me the base salary is in the neighborhood of $7-7.5 million with incentives that max at around $9 million.

Guess that “disarray” didn’t last very long huh?

Don’t look now but with Michigan’s pat a cake 2022 schedule (would almost make an ND fan blush) and returning talent, the Wolverines are primed to make another playoff run next fall.

Edited by temptation

36 minutes ago, temptation said:

I think this is likely the final nail in the coffin of @Footballking16

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33305830/coach-jim-harbaugh-agrees-new-5-year-contract-michigan-wolverines%3fplatform=amp

My BOOTS on the ground tell me the base salary is in the neighborhood of $7-7.5 million with incentives that max at around $9 million.

Guess that “disarray” didn’t last very long huh?

Don’t look now but with Michigan’s pat a cake 2022 schedule (would almost make an ND fan blush) and returning talent, the Wolverines are primed to make another playoff run next fall.

Not going to make a playoff giving up 50+ in the Shoe. 

Cupcake schedule or not, Michigan will find a way to go 9-3. It’s who they are these days.

Lose their two best players by far in Hutchinson and Obajo and several other defensive starters. Believe they lose 2-3 lineman as well. At least McCarthy has foot speed, he’s going to need.

Happy for you that Michigan has their “Michigan Man”….for now. 

“One time thing”

Edited by Footballking16

31 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Not going to make a playoff giving up 50+ in the Shoe. 

Cupcake schedule or not, Michigan will find a way to go 9-3. It’s who they are these days.

Lose their two best players by far in Hutchinson and Obajo and several other defensive starters. Believe they lose 2-3 lineman as well. At least McCarthy has foot speed, he’s going to need.

Happy for you that Michigan has their “Michigan Man”….for now. 

“One time thing”

Will waltz to 10 wins minimum.

Stud transfer at center will ease the OL losses.  Schedule will allow them to break in the new starters on defense.

I’ll take the under on “50 in the shoe” or gimme Michigan to score 51.

Take a lap.

Edited by temptation

55 minutes ago, temptation said:

Stud transfer at center will ease the OL losses.  Schedule will allow them to break in the new starters on defense.

Take a lap.

Some people just never learn.....always thinking they are the smartest in the room.

BOOTS ON THE GROUND were correct again.

Read this when you finish your lap (no walking now) @Footballking16...

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2022/02/jim-harbaughs-reworked-contract-at-michigan-salary-buyout-incentive-details.html

Jim Harbaugh’s new contract from the University of Michigan through a Freedom of Information Act. 

In 2022, Harbaugh will receive a base salary of $655,000 with additional compensation of $6.395 million for a total of $7.05 million. The additional compensation increases by about $140,000 per year through the end of the contract, three days after the last game played in the 2026 college football season. 

Jim Harbaugh’s new contract from the University of Michigan through a Freedom of Information Act. 

In 2022, Harbaugh will receive a base salary of $655,000 with additional compensation of $6.395 million for a total of $7.05 million. The additional compensation increases by about $140,000 per year through the end of the contract, three days after the last game played in the 2026 college football season. 

(Photo: 247Sports)

Harbaugh also has performance incentives for winning the Big Ten East ($500,000), winning the Big Ten title ($1 million), playing in a New Year's Six bowl game ($200,000), reaching the College Football Playoff ($500,000) and winning the national championship ($1 million). Harbaugh would also receive incentives for winning the Big Ten Coach of the Year Award ($50,000) and/or one of the National Coach of the Year awards ($75,000). 

The contract also includes an apparel allowance ($4,000 per year) and additional payments "not to exceed $150,000" for each full academic year in which the team obtains an Academic Progress Rate (APR) of 960 or above. Finally, the contract includes "fringe benefits" such as the use of two vehicles and tickets to games. 

Harbaugh’s buyout starts at $3 million in year one of the contract (Jan. 11, 2022 through Jan. 10, 2023). It drops by $750,000 per year until it reaches zero in year five.

Edited by temptation

16 hours ago, temptation said:

Take a lap.

It will be tight....if they do, its only because of a very weak non-conference schedule and 8 of 12 games at home.

They will lose at OSU and at Iowa.  Which means they have to beat Penn State and MSU at home.  We shall see.

Take a lap....that was awesome!!  Love it!

27 minutes ago, temptation said:

BOOTS ON THE GROUND were correct again.

Read this when you finish your lap (no walking now) @Footballking16...

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2022/02/jim-harbaughs-reworked-contract-at-michigan-salary-buyout-incentive-details.html

(Photo: 247Sports)

Harbaugh also has performance incentives for winning the Big Ten East ($500,000), winning the Big Ten title ($1 million), playing in a New Year's Six bowl game ($200,000), reaching the College Football Playoff ($500,000) and winning the national championship ($1 million). Harbaugh would also receive incentives for winning the Big Ten Coach of the Year Award ($50,000) and/or one of the National Coach of the Year awards ($75,000). 

The contract also includes an apparel allowance ($4,000 per year) and additional payments "not to exceed $150,000" for each full academic year in which the team obtains an Academic Progress Rate (APR) of 960 or above. Finally, the contract includes "fringe benefits" such as the use of two vehicles and tickets to games. 

Harbaugh’s buyout starts at $3 million in year one of the contract (Jan. 11, 2022 through Jan. 10, 2023). It drops by $750,000 per year until it reaches zero in year five.

Love it.  Receipts baby!  RECEIPTS!

17 hours ago, temptation said:

Take a lap.

Waltz??

Play @ Ohio State and @ Iowa and Michigan Stadium might as well be renamed Sparty East. Harbaugh will find a way to lose to Michigan State/Penn State, has made a career out of losing a game he shouldn't while in Ann Arbor. 

Edited by Footballking16

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Waltz??

Play @ Ohio State and @ Iowa and Michigan Stadium might as well be renamed Sparty East. Harbaugh will find a way to lose to Michigan State/Penn State, has made a career out of losing a game he shouldn't while in Ann Arbor. 

Ask @BTFabout our gentlemen's bets and how they have worked out for him. 

I'll take the over on 9.5 wins and OSU under 50...

You on board?

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Ask @BTFabout our gentlemen's bets and how they have worked out for him. 

I'll take the over on 9.5 wins and OSU under 50...

You on board?

I'll take you up on the 9.5. I'll give the Wolverines 20.5 at the Shoe, it ain't going to be pretty.

You going to pay money out of your own pocket this time when donating to the GID fund? I expect it. 

38 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I'll take you up on the 9.5. I'll give the Wolverines 20.5 at the Shoe, it ain't going to be pretty.

You going to pay money out of your own pocket this time when donating to the GID fund? I expect it. 

I pay, when I lose.  Doesn't happen very often.  

Can you enlighten me on your confidence in Ohio State -20.5?  I'm dying to hear your logic.

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

I pay, when I lose.  Doesn't happen very often.  

Can you enlighten me on your confidence in Ohio State -20.5?  I'm dying to hear your logic.

42-13

30-27

31-20

62-39

56-27

Ohio State's average margin of victory since Harbaugh took over is 19 points. You're lucky a game wasn't played in 2020 or that average margin of victory would be even higher.

Ohio State at home, waiting an entire year to avenge a loss with arguably 3 Heisman trophy candidates (Stroud/Henderson/Smith-Njigba) spells disaster for the Wolverines. Better pray for snow as Day will run it up, no doubt about it. 

13 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

42-13

30-27

31-20

62-39

56-27

Ohio State's average margin of victory since Harbaugh took over is 19 points. You're lucky a game wasn't played in 2020 or that average margin of victory would be even higher.

Ohio State at home, waiting an entire year to avenge a loss with arguably 3 Heisman trophy candidates (Stroud/Henderson/Smith-Njigba) spells disaster for the Wolverines. Better pray for snow as Day will run it up, no doubt about it. 

You left out one score.

I heard that this year.  Day was "going to drop 100."  Fell 73 short.  I love your confidence in OSU's D and your assumption that the past also determines the future by dropping scores of guys that are no longer on either team.  It's cute.

How did the snow impact their linebackers decision to not tackle Hassan Haskins for 3 hours?

Edited by temptation

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

You left out one score.

Margin of victory. Ohio State didn't win last year. 

I heard that this year.  Day was "going to drop 100."  Fell 73 short.  I love your confidence in OSU's D and your assumption that the past also determines the future by dropping scores of guys that are no longer on either team.  It's cute.

5-1 against Michigan since Harbaugh took over. Michigan has only beaten Ohio State 4 times the millennium. More than enough data to show Michigan doesn't belong in this rivalry in current times.

How did the snow impact their linebackers decision to not tackle Hassan Haskins for 3 hours?

Haskins doesn't play on the team anymore nor does a bevy of lineman for Michigan on both sides of the ball. Are you taking both bets? $50 GID donation per each?

Edited by Footballking16

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Margin of victory. Ohio State didn't win last year. 

5-1 against Michigan since Harbaugh took over. Michigan has only beaten Ohio State 4 times the millennium. More than enough data to show Michigan doesn't belong in this rivalry in current times.

Haskins doesn't play on the team anymore nor does a bevy of lineman for Michigan on both sides of the ball. Are you taking both bets? $50 GID donation per each?

Nah, $50 is too rich.  I don’t have that Cathedral degree.  I’ll go $25 total and if you lose both, you go away for 6 months.  I’ll do the same.

Your stats about the 4 times this millennium are hard to argue though only 4 of those contests meet your -20.5 criteria.

I have a feeling the names will change but Michigan’s offense will be better in 2022 than it was this fall.  Will OSU’s defense under their new Big 12 D coordinator?  I have my doubts.

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

Nah, $50 is too rich.  I don’t have that Cathedral degree.  I’ll go $25 total and if you lose both, you go away for 6 months.  I’ll do the same.

$25 it is, however I'm not going anywhere win or lose. Not sure my employer knows or cares where I went to high school 15+ years ago but whatever. 

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Your stats about the 4 times this millennium are hard to argue though only 4 of those contests meet your -20.5 criteria.

Then you're getting great odds and should readily pounce on the spread.

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

I have a feeling the names will change but Michigan’s offense will be better in 2022 than it was this fall.  Will OSU’s defense under their new Big 12 D coordinator?  I have my doubts.

No clue what Ohio State's defense is going to look like next year. Don't really care. just know that Michigan is going to have to score just about every time they touch the ball to keep it close.