Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jim Harbaugh and the Chicago Bears are a Natural Fit

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

"Botched", "Screwed up", "Acted like an idiot"....all the same thing.

Harbaugh didn't wow the Vikings owners for a job he thought was already his and they told the new GM to go find somebody else.

The “thought was already his” ordeal is a huge myth that has been debunked.

Its 2022, we all know how these things are spun.

Minnesota:  Harbaugh failed the interview, we didn’t want him.

Harbaugh:  Minnesota wasn’t a good fit.

The truth:  Somewhere in the middle.

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

The “thought was already his” ordeal is a huge myth that has been debunked.

Its 2022, we all know how these things are spun.

Minnesota:  Harbaugh failed the interview, we didn’t want him.

Harbaugh:  Minnesota wasn’t a good fit.

The truth:  Somewhere in the middle.

So the Vikings GM is fabricating that Harbaugh was his #1 choice but Harbaugh failed to win over the owners during his interview?

Sounds like quite a days work for a newly hired GM. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

So the Vikings GM is fabricating that Harbaugh was his #1 choice but Harbaugh failed to win over the owners during his interview?

Sounds like quite a days work for a newly hired GM. 

Once again, you are choosing your words differently in every post.

Failed to win over/botched/assumed it was his are three different viewpoints.

I’ll concede the first, but the last two are asinine.

Harbaugh is who he is and has always been…sometimes that rubs people the wrong way.

Edited by temptation

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

Once again, you are choosing your words differently in every post.

Failed to win over/botched/assumed it was his are three different viewpoints.

I’ll concede the first, but the last two are asinine.

Harbaugh is who he is and has always been…sometimes that rubs people the wrong way.

I'd be rubbed the wrong way too if I was interviewing someone who already though the job was theirs and our time was just part of the formality process. It's pretty clear Harbaugh was turned off when in fact he found out the job wasn't already his. If only his agent conveyed that to him prior to the interview....oh wait he doesn't have one. 

Bad optics on Harbaugh's part and just looks dumb in the process. Oh well, it's a win for Michigan. 

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I'd be rubbed the wrong way too if I was interviewing someone who already though the job was theirs and our time was just part of the formality process. It's pretty clear Harbaugh was turned off when in fact he found out the job wasn't already his. If only his agent conveyed that to him prior to the interview....oh wait he doesn't have one. 

Bad optics on Harbaugh's part and just looks dumb in the process. Oh well, it's a win for Michigan. 

Once again, that’s not how Harbaugh operates.  The “ thought the job was his” narrative is 100 percent false.  

In fact, he is more of an old school guy and was told by Vikings’ ownership that the modern day NFL requires a knowledge of analytics.

So, what did he do?  Before he got on the plane, had a lengthy sit down with current UM quarterbacks coach Matt Weiss who is known for his knowledge of analytics in preparation for the interview.  In other words, the EXACT opposite of what you are implying.

As for the optics, his coaching staff, players, and even potential recruits have all applauded his transparency and didn’t fault him at all because many of them too have the NFL as their ultimate goal.  Does he have some things to mend?  Oh, I’m sure.  

If the optics were so bad, then why did two of Michigan’s top targets (one who is expected to sign next month) both voice their approval on social media the moment it was announced he was coming back?

Folks will surely use this to negatively recruit against Michigan but it’s 2022.  That’s been happening for years.  Jim is a big boy and can handle it.

You continue to trust your sources (ESPN/the national media) and I’ll trust mine who have boots on the ground.

Edited by temptation

20 minutes ago, temptation said:

Once again, that’s not how Harbaugh operates.  The “ thought the job was his” narrative is 100 percent false.

Says who? You? Your "boots on the ground"? Proof, link?

21 minutes ago, temptation said:

In fact, he is more of an old school guy and was told by Vikings’ ownership that the modern day NFL requires a knowledge of analytics.

So, what did he do?  Before he got on the plane, had a lengthy sit down with current UM quarterbacks coach Matt Weiss who is known for his knowledge of analytics in preparation for the interview.  In other words, the EXACT opposite of what you are implying.

It's not plausible that Harbaugh came in completely over his head because he assumed the job was his and was simply there waiting to sign the offer sheet? You really think all these in the interview process are just making up the fact that Harbaugh acted out of line in his interview?

23 minutes ago, temptation said:

As for the optics, his coaching staff, players, and even potential recruits have all applauded his transparency and didn’t fault him at all because many of them too have the NFL as their ultimate goal.  Does he have some things to mend?  Oh, I’m sure.

And while that's admirable and actually refreshing in today's climate, you and I both know that Harbaugh was dead set on taking the Vikings job had it been offered. You yourself Wednesday morning conceded to the fact that Harbaugh was gone. Why else interview? To fleece Michigan for a contract extension that hasn't happened? Why wouldn't Michigan offer a contract extension BEFORE he interviewed with the Vikings? Likely because he told Michigan he was leaving for the NFL. As far as the Mitch Albom article you linked, again what is Harbaugh supposed to say AFTER the fact, "I'm back at Michigan only because I didn't get the Vikings job". Yeah that would have gone over well. 

28 minutes ago, temptation said:

If the optics were so bad, then why did two of Michigan’s top targets (one who is expected to sign next month) both voice their approval on social media the moment it was announced he was coming back?

I'm sure the recruits who committed to Michigan are in fact happy that the coach who recruited them to Ann Arbor is going to be their coach after all. Not really any kind of Earth shattering revelation. 

49 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Says who? You? Your "boots on the ground"? Proof, link?

It's not plausible that Harbaugh came in completely over his head because he assumed the job was his and was simply there waiting to sign the offer sheet? You really think all these in the interview process are just making up the fact that Harbaugh acted out of line in his interview?

And while that's admirable and actually refreshing in today's climate, you and I both know that Harbaugh was dead set on taking the Vikings job had it been offered. You yourself Wednesday morning conceded to the fact that Harbaugh was gone. Why else interview? To fleece Michigan for a contract extension that hasn't happened? Why wouldn't Michigan offer a contract extension BEFORE he interviewed with the Vikings? Likely because he told Michigan he was leaving for the NFL. As far as the Mitch Albom article you linked, again what is Harbaugh supposed to say AFTER the fact, "I'm back at Michigan only because I didn't get the Vikings job". Yeah that would have gone over well. 

I'm sure the recruits who committed to Michigan are in fact happy that the coach who recruited them to Ann Arbor is going to be their coach after all. Not really any kind of Earth shattering revelation. 

I’ll take these one at a time.

1.  No, he did not act out of line.  I am willing to concede that perhaps he underachieved in the interview but not due to some preconceived notion that he approached it in an arrogant manner. You’ve used every term under the sun to make it seem like Jim bombed the interview when the link I provided indicates otherwise.  Assuming you have the gig after setting up an interview and just hopping on the plane to sign the dotted line is not how NFL franchises operate.

2.  Its well documented that Jim was interested in both Vegas early due to prior relationships with folks in their front office and Minnesota entered late. Stephen Ross (who is in the news for other reasons) of the Dolphins is a huge UM donor/alum and stated early that he would not pursue Harbaugh.  The Giants and Bears were never options on the table.  Yes, he would have taken the Vikings’ job had they offered but they didn’t.  Your ESPN groupies have their theory on why they didn’t, and my guys have the truth.  ESPN/the national media has never given Harbaugh a fair shake from the moment he took the job and piling on here for clicks is their blueprint.

3.  I was talking more about potential unsigned recruits to squash your notion of “bad optics.”  Do I think rival coaches have been telling high school kids that Harbaugh has a foot out the door for the NFL for the last 5 years?  Hell yes.  But Michigan has managed to still sign top 10 classes in 5 of Jim’s 7 years in Ann Arbor.  The fact that 18 year old kids/targets for UM are showing appreciation for his transparency and are glad he has returned shows that even they get it more so than you do.

My boots on the ground are premier Michigan insiders in Jim’s camp who have been correct every step of the way since Jim got the job 7 years ago.  Sam Webb, Mitch Albom, John U. Bacon, Zach Shaw, Todd Anson, and Alejandro Zuniga are the best in the business.

As I told your boy Bobby in the other thread, don’t let facts get in the way of a good fairy tale/story.  February is a pretty slow news cycle in terms of sports and all things Harbaugh are clickbait regardless of substance.  The more juicy you make the headline, the more sheep who flock to click it.

Edited by temptation

25 minutes ago, temptation said:

1.  No, he did not act out of line.  I am willing to concede that perhaps he underachieved in the interview but not due to some preconceived notion that he approached it in an arrogant manner. You’ve used every term under the sun to make it seem like Jim bombed the interview when the link I provided indicates otherwise.  Assuming you have the gig after setting up an interview and just hopping on the plane to sign the dotted line is not how NFL franchises operate.

For someone as arrogant and egotistical as Jim Harbaugh, it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if he approached the interview in that manner. The article you linked is after the fact. I have very little doubt that Jim Harbaugh on his way to Minnesota thought there was zero percent chance in the world he would be returning to Michigan as the coach of the Wolverines. ZERO.

28 minutes ago, temptation said:

2.  Its well documented that Jim was interested in both Vegas early due to prior relationships with folks in their front office and Minnesota entered late. Stephen Ross (who is in the news for other reasons) of the Dolphins is a huge UM donor/alum and stated early that he would not pursue Harbaugh.  The Giants and Bears were never options on the table.  Yes, he would have taken the Vikings’ job had they offered but they didn’t.  Your ESPN groupies have their theory on why they didn’t, and my guys have the truth.  ESPN/the national media has never given Harbaugh a fair shake from the moment he took the job and piling on here for clicks is their blueprint.

Harbaugh clearly has/had one foot out the door, this isn't the media giving not giving Harbaugh a fair shake. The article you linked this morning is Harbaugh's way of going on damage control. I don't believe his intention was to ever dick over his alma mater, but at the same time it was never his intention to return either. Harbaugh claiming that Michigan is where he's always wanted to have been, being 100% committed along with the rest of that BS is an attempt to save face; I didn't get the job I wanted but I'm also still employed elsewhere and I want to keep it that way. It's classic coachspeak and honestly how any normal person would act if caught in situation Harbaugh was caught in. 

35 minutes ago, temptation said:

3.  I was talking more about potential unsigned recruits to squash your notion of “bad optics.”  Do I think rival coaches have been telling high school kids that Harbaugh has a foot out the door for the NFL for the last 5 years?  Hell yes.  But Michigan has managed to still sign top 10 classes in 5 of Jim’s 7 years in Ann Arbor.  The fact that 18 year old kids/targets for UM are showing appreciation for his transparency and are glad he has returned shows that even they get it more so than you do.

And I wasn't necessarily talking about future recruits. But the notion of showing up to a job interview with the impression it was your job to lose and then subsequently returning to a position you were ready to leave because you ultimately didn't get it looks "bad". Harbaugh can say he's 100% committed, done exploring other opportunities, etc all he wants, doesn't mean it's actually true. He did and was ready to take the Vikings job after all until it wasn't available. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

For someone as arrogant and egotistical as Jim Harbaugh, it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if he approached the interview in that manner. The article you linked is after the fact. I have very little doubt that Jim Harbaugh on his way to Minnesota thought there was zero percent chance in the world he would be returning to Michigan as the coach of the Wolverines. ZERO.

Harbaugh clearly has/had one foot out the door, this isn't the media giving not giving Harbaugh a fair shake. The article you linked this morning is Harbaugh's way of going on damage control. I don't believe his intention was to ever dick over his alma mater, but at the same time it was never his intention to return either. Harbaugh claiming that Michigan is where he's always wanted to have been, being 100% committed along with the rest of that BS is an attempt to save face; I didn't get the job I wanted but I'm also still employed elsewhere and I want to keep it that way. It's classic coachspeak and honestly how any normal person would act if caught in situation Harbaugh was caught in. 

And I wasn't necessarily talking about future recruits. But the notion of showing up to a job interview with the impression it was your job to lose and then subsequently returning to a position you were ready to leave because you ultimately didn't get it looks "bad". Harbaugh can say he's 100% committed, done exploring other opportunities, etc all he wants, doesn't mean it's actually true. He did and was ready to take the Vikings job after all until it wasn't available. 

Where in life did Jim hurt you so badly?

Let’s let it all out.  I’m here to listen.

You somehow seem to know more about the man than those I mentioned above.

Fascinating.

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

Where in life did Jim hurt you so badly?

Let’s let it all out.  I’m here to listen.

You somehow seem to know more about the man than those I mentioned above.

Fascinating.

Been a fan of Jim Harbaugh ever since I attended the Jim Harbaugh show as a kid and got an on television interview!

I think he's better suited for the NFL than in college, I've said that from day 1. 

I believe he royally screwed himself out of another shot in the NFL for the way he conducted himself with the Vikings.

I can understand why you as a Michigan fan feel the need to rationalize what all happened knowing that Harbaugh wanted a change of scenery. It's perfectly normal fan behavior. 

You won't convince me that Harbaugh is the coach of Michigan today because he wants to be, he didn't have any other choice after Wednesday. 

Edited by Footballking16

53 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Been a fan of Jim Harbaugh ever since I attended the Jim Harbaugh show as a kid and got an on television interview!

I think he's better suited for the NFL than in college, I've said that from day 1. 

I believe he royally screwed himself out of another shot in the NFL for the way he conducted himself with the Vikings.

I can understand why you as a Michigan fan feel the need to rationalize what all happened knowing that Harbaugh wanted a change of scenery. It's perfectly normal fan behavior. 

You won't convince me that Harbaugh is the coach of Michigan today because he wants to be, he didn't have any other choice after Wednesday. 

Still failed to figure out how he conducted himself.  I’ve already told you that’s false.

You are a lost cause at this point.  Believe what you wish.

16 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I will.

There's a reason he's still at Michigan and it's not why you think it is. But I do understand the need to rationalize.

Couldn’t care less why he is at Michigan.  He is.  And Harbaugh goes all in with 100 percent and is probably the most competitive man in the sport both personally and professionally.

44 minutes ago, temptation said:

Couldn’t care less why he is at Michigan.  He is.  And Harbaugh goes all in with 100 percent and is probably the most competitive man in the sport both personally and professionally.

I'll give the Harbaughs that. Too bad Tom Crean wasn't 1/10th of his brother-in-laws. IU basketball fans would have been happier. 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

@temptation

Offensive coordinator up and leaving for a lateral job. Defensive coordinator position still unfilled. No 8 million/yr contract announced yet as you promised.

Good optics eh?

”Boots on the ground”. LOL

Offensive coordinator wanted to be the heir apparent and when Harbaugh came back that door shut.  Not hard to see why he left.

Yep, boots on the ground.  New OC announcement forthcoming and the players are already tweeting their excitement.

Worry about your Irish.  THEY are in disarray.

16 minutes ago, temptation said:

Offensive coordinator wanted to be the heir apparent and when Harbaugh came back that door shut.  Not hard to see why he left.

Yep, boots on the ground.  New OC announcement forthcoming and the players are already tweeting their excitement.

Mike Hart?

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Presuming you are referring to Cathedral since Footballking isn't a Notre Dame fan. And you're way too smart to think that Notre Dame is in disarray. So what's going on with Cathedral? Major drop in talent?

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Presuming you are referring to Cathedral since Footballking isn't a Notre Dame fan. And you're way too smart to think that Notre Dame is in disarray. So what's going on with Cathedral? Major drop in talent?

Wait, the queen isn’t an ND fan?  Then why in the hell am I entertaining his stupidity about my Wolverines?

I’ll amuse you in the meantime.

Rees possibly to the NFL, Elston to Michigan, McNulty to BC, Al Washington is a washed up dude whose best coaching days are behind him (I’d say the OSU line backing core underachieved these last couple of years, no?)…

Oh, yeah.  And your head coach is 0-1, surely headed to 0-2 and has zero experience.

That’s all…for now.

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Wait, the queen isn’t an ND fan?  Then why in the hell am I entertaining his stupidity about my Wolverines?

I’ll amuse you in the meantime.

Rees possibly to the NFL, Elston to Michigan, McNulty to BC, Al Washington is a washed up dude whose best coaching days are behind him (I’d say the OSU line backing core underachieved these last couple of years, no?)…

Oh, yeah.  And your head coach is 0-1, surely headed to 0-2 and has zero experience.

That’s all…for now.

Lol, not worth a response. Your posts are solid 95% of the time, but this one doesn't qualify.