Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen - Hopes and Expectations for the Future

9 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Vividly remember sometime around 2010-2011 (shortly after TA's passing), when DT tried to take over the site and make it pay for play subscription. Thought that was a total slap in the face to everything TA started and wished to continue. Was never a fan of DT's work before; multiplier, +1 bump, ad nauseum crap that still gets spewed every week here, but it completely turned me off. 

6 screen names and 9 resignations/unretirements later....well, here we are. 

What would TA think of the voluminous amounts of ads a GID user gets presented with on this side if they don't contribute?  How is that any better than a true subscription model?

And your "site takeover" comment is hyperbole at it's finest.

Just now, Muda69 said:

What would TA think of the voluminous amounts of ads a GID user gets presented with on this side if they don't contribute?  How is that any better than a true subscription model?

And your "site takeover" comment is hyperbole at it's finest.

So hyperbolic the mods banned him.

Go eat a waffle. 

8 hours ago, Lysander said:

First, as to civility, its a grade school girlfriend's sleepover pillowfight these days on the GID as compared to 15-20 years ago. 

Seriously, are you simply delusional in your senior years or just hoping to pull the wool over the eyes of newbies? 

The knives were out those days.  Some wounds have never quite healed.

Second, didn't "kind, sweet and gentle giant" Tim send your sorry @ss packing? 

That's my recollection...at worst, his co-founders did so just after Tim's death.

I don't really care what you say currently.  I'm totally cool with that.  People say a lot of crap and you are amongst the best.  

But don't rewrite the past and somehow make yourself out as a hero or respecting Tim and his cofounders. 

That's Bullsh!t and you know it.

TA and I had a good relationship.  I drove out to Fortville to visit him in July of 2007.  We had a nice chat.  I was thinking about my own site at the time.

I do recall once demanding a refund on my $25 donation because I had been suspended during an on line altercation.  He gladly sent me the check.  

No doubt I tried to sell him on the idea of going to a pay for play model, he would have none of it.  

54 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Vividly remember sometime around 2010-2011 (shortly after TA's passing), when DT tried to take over the site and make it pay for play subscription. Thought that was a total slap in the face to everything TA started and wished to continue. Was never a fan of DT's work before; multiplier, +1 bump, ad nauseum crap that still gets spewed every week here, but it completely turned me off. 

6 screen names and 9 resignations/unretirements later....well, here we are. 

That was probably an overly aggressive move at the time but totally within character.

DrivenT - DT - HHF.  Those are 3 names that I recall.  Did I miss something?

The multiplier, plus1/ad nauseum crap was the engine that drove this site for years.

Now the backbone of The GID are the SIAC , PAC and Hoosier Hills threads.  Think about that for a minute.  3 deep southern Indiana conferences, in the heart of Hoosier basketball country, drive the states biggest prep football site.  

How does that happen?

4 minutes ago, HHF said:

That was probably an overly aggressive move at the time but totally within character.

So not the hyperbole @Muda69 suggests?

5 minutes ago, HHF said:

Now that was hyperbole. DrivenTemptation was definitely one. There's 4.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

So not the hyperbole @Muda69 suggests?

Now that was hyperbole. DrivenTemptation was definitely one. There's 4.

I killed that quickly.  Doesnt count.

It is my intention to monetize The HHF.  Maybe you could be my Regional Advertising Sales Manager for Central Indiana?

28 minutes ago, HHF said:

I killed that quickly.  Doesnt count.

It is my intention to monetize The HHF.  Maybe you could be my Regional Advertising Sales Manager for Central Indiana?

FIFY....

Assistant to Regional Advertising Sales Manager of Central Indiana

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

So hyperbolic the mods banned him.

Go eat a waffle. 

Heh…heh.  

Arguably likely not your first time, probably just the first time I noticed (and like so many of us - he ain’t what he used to be), but I consider fighting with Muda a certain Baptism here.

I can just vaguely recall in those fictional “polite” days DT so pines for, Muda and I raging  at each other over 5-6 threads…..which was NOTHING compared to all the other windmills Muda was constantly tilting against on the GID.

These days, it’s hard for me to gather up an argument against this fellow sad old libertarian dinosaur as we both lounge and occasionally flop about in the warm tar pit…….Muda humorless as ever.  

Some things never change.

• Sit and spin 1

38 minutes ago, HHF said:

The multiplier, plus1/ad nauseum crap was the engine that drove this site for years.

Now the backbone of The GID are the SIAC , PAC and Hoosier Hills threads.  Think about that for a minute.  3 deep southern Indiana conferences, in the heart of Hoosier basketball country, drive the states biggest prep football site.  

How does that happen?

Because football is king in SWI....we work together to elevate the play in our region.  Successful football is driven by volunteerism.  Starting when kids are very young, if you don't have a strong volunteer population you are destined to fail.  Volunteers are proud of their efforts and like to talk about it.  GID has provided SWI volunteers a place to do that.  If volunteerism is weak in a region (and yes this has strong socioeconomic ties), you won't be as successful and you won't have as much talk (online or otherwise).  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Heh…heh.  

Arguably likely not your first time, probably just the first time I noticed (and like so many of us - he ain’t what he used to be), but I consider fighting with Muda a certain Baptism here.

I can just vaguely recall in those fictional “polite” days DT so pines for, Muda and I raging  at each other over 5-6 threads…..which was NOTHING compared to all the other windmills Muda was constantly tilting against on the GID.

These days, it’s hard for me to gather up an argument against this fellow sad old libertarian dinosaur as we both lounge and occasionally flop about in the warm tar pit…….Muda humorless as ever.  

Some things never change.

Definitely a right of passage for some.

12 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Because football is king in SWI....we work together to elevate the play in our region.  Successful football is driven by volunteerism.  Starting when kids are very young, if you don't have a strong volunteer population you are destined to fail.  Volunteers are proud of their efforts and like to talk about it.  GID has provided SWI volunteers a place to do that.  If volunteerism is weak in a region (and yes this has strong socioeconomic ties), you won't be as successful and you won't have as much talk (online or otherwise).  

Eh, not to detract from this thrilling conversation but I’d say that basketball is still king in SWI and it isn’t particularly close.

What am I missing here?

14 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Great points.  Im astounded by the response of so many southern Indiana communities on The HHF that dwarf much larger cities and regions with their on line presence and participation

But there remains a huge difference between the response of the smaller schools (1A - 4A) and the bigger (5A-6A)  Small schools are off the charts with their support of many schools.

12 minutes ago, temptation said:

Eh, not to detract from this thrilling conversation but I’d say that basketball is still king in SWI and it isn’t particularly close.

What am I missing here?

Football won quite some time ago.  (I am a basketball guy too BTW).  Been to any games in the Hatchet house lately?

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Some GID mods, both past and present, have think skins.  Not hyperbolic at all.

I like waffles.  Do you?

You can thank COVID for the Belgian Waffle shortage!  (Heard this at the Diner the other day)....what a freaking travesty!

7 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Football won quite some time ago.  (I am a basketball guy too BTW).  Been to any games in the Hatchet house lately?

How are Loogootee and Barr-Reeve doing? I don't believe football has "won" there.  

Just now, Titan32 said:

You can thank COVID for the Belgian Waffle shortage!  (Heard this at the Diner the other day)....what a freaking travesty!

That and chicken wings I here.

• Like 1

Just now, Titan32 said:

Kinda hard for it to win at those two places....two 1A schools hardly represent SWI.

But you said high school football was "won" in SWI?  How can schools not even having a football team be considered a victory? 

I wonder what section of the state has the highest percentage of school that do not play tackle football?  My bet is SWI or NWI.  There used to be some really small schools up in southern Porter and LaPorte counties, like LaCrosse HS,  that didn't play football.

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

But you said high school football was "won" in SWI?  How can schools not even having a football team be considered a victory? 

I wonder what section of the state has the highest percentage of school that do not play tackle football?  My bet is SWI or NWI.  There used to be some really small schools up in southern Porter and LaPorte counties, like LaCrosse HS,  that didn't play football.

My "won" comment was in the context of football being "king" in SWI.  I think I reasonably intelligent person would assume "king" within the context at hand means (the most popular) as does "won".

4 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

My "won" comment was in the context of football being "king" in SWI.  I think I reasonably intelligent person would assume "king" within the context at hand means (the most popular) as does "won".

Been hearing that Indiana is in the process of becoming a “football state” for over a decade now.

Of course, I have also been told for THREE decades that the US is on the precipice of becoming a global power in soccer too.

Edited by temptation

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Some schools in NWI that do not have football:

Kouts, Morgan Township, Washington Township (all apart of the East Porter County School Corporation), LaCrosse, Westville, Hebron, Covenant Christian (DeMotte), Illiana Christian...just off the top of my head.

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

Been hearing that Indiana is in the process of becoming a “football state” for over a decade now.

Of course, I have now been told for THREE decades that the US is on the precipice of becoming a global power in soccer too.

The decline starting in the mid 70's with consolidation (phase 1).  The number of basketball gyms were decreased dramatically (60%) plus.  The death of IU basketball contributed as well (phase 2).  Just look at the media on a Friday night in SWI....basketball isn't even close (phase 3).  As someone highly involved with both sports in SWI I can tell you that the only people who really believe basketball is king in Indiana don't live here.  The movie "Hoosiers" has done more to perpetuate the myth that I ever thought possible.

Edited by Titan32

26 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Some GID mods, both past and present, have think skins.  Not hyperbolic at all.

I like waffles.  Do you?

Huh?

DT previously admitted he was too aggressive in trying to take over the site as a pay for play subscription. 

There's no hyperbole, there's not even a slight exaggeration. It deadass happened. And he was banned.

About that waffle...

Just now, Titan32 said:

The decline starting in the mid 70's with consolidation (phase 1).  The number of basketball gyms were decreased dramatically (60%) plus.  The death of IU basketball contributed as well (phase 2).  Just look at the media on a Friday night in SWI....basketball isn't even close.  As someone highly involved with both sports in SWI I can tell you that the only people who really believe basketball is king in Indiana don't live here.  The movie "Hoosiers" has done more to perpetuate the myth that I ever thought possible.

Interesting.

6 minutes ago, DE said:

Some schools in NWI that do not have football:

Kouts, Morgan Township, Washington Township (all apart of the East Porter County School Corporation), LaCrosse, Westville, Hebron, Covenant Christian (DeMotte), Illiana Christian...just off the top of my head.

Along with some charter schools near the Lake....

add MC Marquette and HAST.