Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

Jeffersonville has announced a new football coach. Per the JeffHigh AD Facebook page…

image.thumb.png.9169ed44b9b325f3d0a1ed5b689dad19.png

Article on jeffathletics.com

https://jeffathletics.com/Article/18106?fbclid=IwAR2Q0ddESbzjihCIkWTdFtTe1Vwosli8MwnmhDkfAvjsaw1_Omtfn6ATWPM_aem_ATVKzgAh6oVcqshk2ZzBaO0SvT8VgyxKnhOwefPhZlqSVTRuVFn5d8FI1IetLQaW0-4

Edited by Frozen Tundra

1 hour ago, Panther25 said:

I know they aren't with us anymore, but nowhere else would make sense to share for our former comrades. 

409642928_18059540764492666_2074232388312867482_n.jpg

43 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Sorry to hear. Coach Wilson was busting his ass. 

Somewhat related but I wonder how independence has affected Madison. Has it been a benefit or detriment? My gut feeling is that they didn’t expect to stay independent for more than a year or two. I know they tried to join the Mid-Southern Conference but the feeling wasn’t mutual.

I really have no idea on that. I know there are several really bad football programs across the river in a short driving distance. I’ve worked there in Football and Softball with KY teams. 
Huge investment in facilities in the last few years, Coach Wilson was winning some games. I thought they were making some headway. Why do I get the feeling there’s more to the story. 

9 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I really have no idea on that. I know there are several really bad football programs across the river in a short driving distance. I’ve worked there in Football and Softball with KY teams. 
Huge investment in facilities in the last few years, Coach Wilson was winning some games. I thought they were making some headway. Why do I get the feeling there’s more to the story. 

Man... I am NOT trying to rain on Coach Wilson AT ALL here, he is a freaking standup dude. But I fail to see where they had made any headway. 

Not that there isn't more to the story, just mentioning... 

Edited by btownqbcoach1

2 hours ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Man... I am NOT trying to rain on Coach Wilson AT ALL here, he is a freaking standup dude. But I fail to see where they had made any headway. 

Not that there isn't more to the story, just mentioning... 

Games I saw I thought the program was making progress. That being said I did not see them this year. I said what I said. 

8 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Somewhat related but I wonder how independence has affected Madison. Has it been a benefit or detriment? My gut feeling is that they didn’t expect to stay independent for more than a year or two. I know they tried to join the Mid-Southern Conference but the feeling wasn’t mutual.

I think it has been difficult to schedule favorably. When they first got out, it was a crap shoot looking for available opponents and they ended up playing some outstanding teams out of Kentucky. They essentially traded Columbus East and Floyd for similar opponents. Last year they had Greenfield-Central scheduled, who for years had been not so great. Last year, they were a very good team. They also added Brownstown, who could compete with most in the HHC. They also play Providence, who won a sectional last year. This year, they've added Scottsburg, so that is a good matchup, but Scottsburg has made a lot of progress and will be a tough out. But I'm not sure they've really softened their schedule up a whole lot. Also, there is a new administration at Madison that did not hire him so you know how those things go. 

On another note, it appears as though JC coach TJ Newton left to take the job at Eastern Pekin. It is over on the PLAC/MSC thread. 

Edited by boilerfan87

That is too bad for JC, seemed like the coach was doing good things. Where do they go from here? Another outside hire or did Newton have a coordinator in place that could be the guy? Hope to see them continue improving.

What does Madison's enrollment look like now? Werent they a shrinking enrollment school of late? Likely to be 3a? 

22 minutes ago, RetiredCoach91 said:

That is too bad for JC, seemed like the coach was doing good things. Where do they go from here? Another outside hire or did Newton have a coordinator in place that could be the guy? Hope to see them continue improving.

What does Madison's enrollment look like now? Werent they a shrinking enrollment school of late? Likely to be 3a? 

No clue about Jennings County. I just know the next hire will be their seventh different head coach since the start of the 2012 season.

As for Madison, they are definitely shrinking and have actually been in 3A since last season.

You can't win at Madison or Jennings County. Not against the level of teams they have to play. Unfortunately HS athletics isn't like Collegiate athletics where you can recruit your roster. I know a few kids are recruited here and there but for the most part, you are what you are. Madison and JC have had good coaches. But they just don't have the athletes or the talent. It has to develop in the youth system and genetics plays a big part of that. We had a pretty good run in basketball down here at Floyd from 2012-2021 with coach Sturgeon. They probably had 20 kids that were 6"6 or taller in that timeframe. Some 6"9, 6"10, 7 foot tall. You can't teach that stuff. Area genetics plays a big part in HS Athletics success.

Edited by Fkfootball

21 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

You can't win at Madison or Jennings County. Not against the level of teams they have to play. Unfortunately HS athletics isn't like Collegiate athletics where you can recruit your roster. I know a few kids are recruited here and there but for the most part, you are what you are. Madison and JC have had good coaches. But they just don't have the athletes or the talent. It has to develop in the youth system and genetics plays a big part of that. We had a pretty good run in basketball down here at Floyd from 2012-2021 with coach Sturgeon. They probably had 20 kids that were 6"6 or taller in that timeframe. Some 6"9, 6"10, 7 foot tall. You can't teach that stuff. Area genetics plays a big part in HS Athletics success.

Outside of East Central.... who are you talking about? 

Jennings County can compete just fine in football. They wouldn't have been blown out once this year had they been healthy, by no means am I saying they would have won every game... I don't think that, but significant injuries for them this season. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

I think genetics can play a part in generational teams but I don’t think it matters in teams being consistently good. There are other factors that determine that: work, effort, commitment, belief, motivation, camaraderie, coaching, money, strong youth programs feeding into high school, tenured coaches, retaining of talent, etc.

Jennings County has a bigger student population than New Palestine and, until recently, was bigger than East Central. Those schools are not the only schools in their county or area like Jennings County is. It’s easy for kids in their district to transfer elsewhere due to the proximities of other schools. However, those schools are much better than Jennings County due to some of the factors I mentioned.

I can’t speak for Madison but Jennings County absolutely has the talent to be consistently good in sports. One of the big problems is getting coaches to be committed to stick around. There’s been so much turnover that it’s hard to get things going. Kendall Wildey (boys basketball/softball), Jim Harr (wrestling), and Howard Jones (wrestling) are some of the guys that have built great success because they were great coaches and stuck around for awhile. Hopefully other coaches like Kristi Sigler (girls basketball) can follow suit.

Because of politics, coaching turnover, or a lack of faith in the system, some of Jennings County’s great athletes have transferred out over the years to play sports at schools like Columbus East, Columbus North, Greensburg, South Decatur, Seymour, Brownstown Central, and even as far away as New Castle. If they could’ve retained these kids then maybe things wouldn’t have turned out as bleak as they did.

Nevertheless, Jennings County brought in a great AD a few years ago and he has made great efforts to try and change the culture at the school. He’s committed to winning and he’s been bringing in coaches that he feels are committed to winning as well. The problem is trying to keep them from leaving and that is easier said than done, especially considering Jennings County doesn’t have the money to compete with some other schools.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 11:02 AM, Fkfootball said:

You lucked into Sturgeon.  Floyd was an afterthought in basketball since the late 80's until he arrived.  Without him the slide to irrelevancy will be fast.  You claim all those good genetics down there and yet Jennings County has more class basketball sectional Titles.  What gives?  

You can win in football at Jennings County.  6-4 my senior year of 97-98.  some 5-5 and 6-4 teams since.  We have fielded a competitive team the last two years.  Punched you guys in 2022.  Don't claim you had injuries because we can say the same about this past season.  

1 hour ago, JenCo1998 said:

You lucked into Sturgeon.  Floyd was an afterthought in basketball since the late 80's until he arrived.  Without him the slide to irrelevancy will be fast.  You claim all those good genetics down there and yet Jennings County has more class basketball sectional Titles.  What gives?  

You can win in football at Jennings County.  6-4 my senior year of 97-98.  some 5-5 and 6-4 teams since.  We have fielded a competitive team the last two years.  Punched you guys in 2022.  Don't claim you had injuries because we can say the same about this past season.  

You have any idea why Newton would leave for Pekin?

On 1/5/2024 at 8:33 PM, JenCo1998 said:

Buddy, Floyd Central isn't irrelevant in anything. Hell, they won the 3A State Championship in Wrestling yesterday. They have a good basketball coach in Fonso White. They're in a rebuild but they'll be rolling again in a few years. Don't compare Jennings County to Floyd Central. It's not even worth an argument.

9 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

Buddy, Floyd Central isn't irrelevant in anything. Hell, they won the 3A State Championship in Wrestling yesterday. They have a good basketball coach in Fonso White. They're in a rebuild but they'll be rolling again in a few years. Don't compare Jennings County to Floyd Central. It's not even worth an argument.

By your logic they should never have to be in a rebuild if you have the "Genetics"  you claim.  Your new coach has had one winning season out of six.  Soon to be seven.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

Might want to do a little homework before you head down the legacy wrestling road. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JenCo1998 said:

By your logic they should never have to be in a rebuild if you have the "Genetics"  you claim.  Your new coach has had one winning season out of six.  Soon to be seven.  

Throw in their socio-economic advantages and couldn't agree more. 

16 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Might want to do a little homework before you head down the legacy wrestling road. 

my goodness, you think? lol 

3 members in the wrestling HOF 

17 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

If we are comparing Floyd Central Wrestling to Jennings County wrestling history please allow me to educate.  Floyd Central has 32 sectional team championships compared to Jennings 22.  Floyd has won regionals 14 times compared to Jennings 3. Floyd Central is the Team State Champion in 3A and also has been runner up.  Jennings qualified in 2016.  If you want to compare individuals Floyd Central has had 34 State place winners, 7 being State Champions, another 49 have qualified for the state tournament.  Jennings County has had 17 State place winners, 1 being a State champion, along with 22 qualifiers.  
Glad to have them and East in our conference to challenge us, but know your history.