Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 5 Officiating Issues

Bobref

Question

10 answers to this question

So, we had this one in my game last night:

3rd and 6. Team B is having trouble figuring out their substitutes. They only have 10 men on defense. B11 wakes up, realizes he’s supposed to be in the game, and sprints off the sideline. He’s on the field, but still 2 yds. on the offense’s side of the ball when it is snapped. He continues to the defensive side and participates in the play, which gains 4 yds. Whaddya’ got?

1 hour ago, Just a dad said:

Defensive PI called in the endzone. Ball caught for the TD. Extra point kicked as normal. 15 yards DPI applied on the kickoff. I thought that it was either TD (penalty declined) or accept the penalty. As DPI isn’t a dead ball foul was this applied correctly?

Nope. A live ball foul by the opponent of a team that scores a TD can be enforced either on the try or the succeeding kickoff, at the election of the offended team. That assumes there was no change of possession during the play.

On 9/17/2022 at 9:26 AM, Esso Ayche said:

Encroachment, 5 yds, 3rd and 1?

It’s not encroachment.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

No, this is illegal substitution, a 5 yd. live ball foul.

Had a play in a game 2 years ago. 2 years this past Friday actually. Team was punting to us. We were on the road, so I am on the home team's side when I see this. Kid comes from the sideline, runs right in front of the line judge as the ball is snapped. Kid is the first down the field to cover the punt. I sent the clip to @Yuccaguy. No flag....nuthin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

No, this is illegal substitution, a 5 yd. live ball foul.

How about when a member of the chain gang appears from under the Press box at halftime after the ball has been kicked off to start the second half, runs onto the field during the return, runs a few yards the other direction, crosses the field and runs in the field of play to where the sticks are being prepared for the first offensive play of the 2nd half. Barely gets to his stick(the down marker) before play begins. Is that a penalty?

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

How about when a member of the chain gang appears from under the Press box at halftime after the ball has been kicked off to start the second half, runs onto the field during the return, runs a few yards the other direction, crosses the field and runs in the field of play to where the sticks are being prepared for the first offensive play of the 2nd half. Barely gets to his stick(the down marker) before play begins. Is that a penalty?

No. But before I kick him off the chain crew, I’ll have one of the on-scene police officers administer a field sobriety test. Don’t laugh. I’ve been there.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1