Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 30 Vincennes Lincoln (4-5) at Gibson Southern (9-0)

On 10/22/2022 at 12:07 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

as for the SIAC vs GS debates…they are always fun lol.  I think it’s amusing that in season the SIAC fans were hyping VL a lot and VL was giving everyone but Jasper a game.  Could have easily been an 8-1 or 7-2 team

……but the moment they lose to GS it’s “Omg how could GS let VL score 42 points” as if VL was Princeton or something.  I’m sure in a few years they will come back to this game and say “oh they were only the 7th place SIAC team” for whatever argument that fits their narrative 

Last Friday went pretty much the way I would have expected. VL giving GS a scare but the Titans ultimately pulling it out.

And this is exactly why Coach Hart beefed up the schedule. Making crunch time plays and game winning drives vs TH South and South Warren helped win this game. Anytime it’s a 1 score game late 3rd/ early 4th is a pressure packed situation and GS came through. That is what a tougher schedule gets you, IMO. So kudos on that. 

• Like 4

I wanted to say this but haven't had time.  My son is a Junior football player on the current team.  We played the VL guys in the same class (2024) no less than 8 times from 3rd through 8th grade (I think we had the edge on wins in that time but just barely).  During that time we got to know their staff/Dads really well.  I can tell you that they remind me a lot of us when we started our stuff in the TYFL in 2001.  They are good men doing the work of God if you ask me, cultivating young men to be great leaders, husbands and fathers.  We formed a competitive bond and they still communicate with me to this day. The fruit of their labor is paying off.  Coach Salters should be grateful for them and I am sure he is.  Look for good things from VL in the coming years.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I wanted to say this but haven't had time.  My son is a Junior football player on the current team.  We played the VL guys in the same class (2024) no less than 8 times from 3rd through 8th grade (I think we had the edge on wins in that time but just barely).  During that time we got to know their staff/Dads really well.  I can tell you that they remind me a lot of us when we started our stuff in the TYFL in 2001.  They are good men doing the work of God if you ask me, cultivating young men to be great leaders, husbands and fathers.  We formed a competitive bond and they still communicate with me to this day. The fruit of their labor is paying off.  Coach Salters should be grateful for them and I am sure he is.  Look for good things from VL in the coming years.

I'd concur with all of this.  Those that have been around me since the sectional realignments came out know I've not written off VL for a second this year, for all the reasons you just stated.  I felt that Sectional 30 was going to feature GS/VL at some point, no matter the draw.  They grind out a tough regular season schedule, have great athletes, excellent coaches, supportive community, nice feeder system, etc.  I thought (hoped) Friday would be a 2-, maybe 3-score affair and, technically, I wasn't wrong.  

Tangentially, with the score being what it was and still being where I'd expected/hoped, it sort of reminds me of a quote from Joe Carter describing Toronto's game 4 World Series win over Philly in 1993.  Down 5 at the end of 7 innings, the Jays put up 6 in the 8th and ended up winning 15-14 in an overall wild game.  He said (paraphrasing here), "They say great teams win those one-run ballgames.  Well, this was a one-run ballgame."

Yes, I just compared a 1990s MLB WS game to an Indiana 3A first round sectional HS football game.  Sue me. 😂

18 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

I'd concur with all of this.  Those that have been around me since the sectional realignments came out know I've not written off VL for a second this year, for all the reasons you just stated.  I felt that Sectional 30 was going to feature GS/VL at some point, no matter the draw.  They grind out a tough regular season schedule, have great athletes, excellent coaches, supportive community, nice feeder system, etc.  I thought (hoped) Friday would be a 2-, maybe 3-score affair and, technically, I wasn't wrong.  

Tangentially, with the score being what it was and still being where I'd expected/hoped, it sort of reminds me of a quote from Joe Carter describing Toronto's game 4 World Series win over Philly in 1993.  Down 5 at the end of 7 innings, the Jays put up 6 in the 8th and ended up winning 15-14 in an overall wild game.  He said (paraphrasing here), "They say great teams win those one-run ballgames.  Well, this was a one-run ballgame."

Yes, I just compared a 1990s MLB WS game to an Indiana 3A first round sectional HS football game.  Sue me. 😂

Looking for a baseball forum to refer you to LOL.

• Haha 1