Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 30 Vincennes Lincoln (4-5) at Gibson Southern (9-0)

The Titans host Vincennes Lincoln in round one of the IHSAA Sectional on Friday night at 6:30.  Pertinent information is below.

* Gates open at 5:00
* All tickets are $7
* All tickets will be sold at the gate on Friday nigh (no public pre-sale will take place)
* Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30

21 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Got a soft spot here for the 2012 team.  Such a crazy run my senior year (not that I did anything other than watch from the sidelines) 

besides the magic of that year….what always got me about the old photos/being there for it were the helmets in that first season lol.

coach hart wanted a new look to help with the fresh start and that’s when the white helmets came about….but that first year most of the helmets were the old maroon ones but painted white.  

by the end of the season you could tell who on the defense was always bringing the heat because their helmets would be mostly white but the paint was chipping away and the maroon would show through….or in this case it was mostly maroon with a little bit of white left  😂 

523688D2-ECCB-4BA4-9217-EA4DB55AF65C.thumb.jpeg.11dbf673c9781d6dd573e91261989fe6.jpeg

this might have continued on into 2013 but I’m not entirely sure when GS sold enough titans cards/game day tickets to afford new helmets 

Man I forgot how much they look alike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 1:43 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

More the reason

Some of you SIAC guys still think Harrison is at the same level or better than Boon.  VL getting a W this week would make for a LONG offseason 

For the record. No! The best of the Pac are year in year out as good as the best in the SIAC. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 4:07 PM, tango said:

I obviously don't know this, but I wonder if that Memorial loss (and maybe more so the way VL lost) may have been a huge mental blow to the Alices. I know Jasper has gotten healthy and will be a very tough out, but I really expected VL to bounce back and give the Cats more of a game on Friday. Doesn't look like it was though. Hunt is the slipperiest player I've seen in a while, so I'll be interested to see if he can get some mojo going against GS.  

I'm not giving up on my Harrison over Boonville prediction just yet, but I definitely would have liked for Harrison to beat Bosse by more than 2 scores last week. I understand that other than handful of plays, Boonville didn't do all that much. Harrison had success against a depleted Jasper by stopping the run, so maybe they can use that blueprint and upset the Pioneers. 

Honestly though, if I was betting real money I would take the PAC over SIAC in both match-ups. And based on my last few weeks on FanDuel that just might be the kiss of death to the Titans and Pioneers. 

I think that first drive interception against Jasper was big. If that doesn’t happen then VL starts the game 7-0. I don’t think Jasper is a superior team to VL this year. 

34 minutes ago, SEAL_63 said:

Well..it’s Thursday…

I wasn’t going to resort to this but the lack of insults being thrown to this point has left me no choice!

Bobe’s > Sandy’s

Any day of the week. 

I don’t know what there is to insult lol

VL has a good team and are better than the 4-5 record suggests in my opinion 

looking back on their games, VL lead memorial and north at half…had Reitz within 1….the castle game they trailed 21-14 at half.

outside of really this last week, no team has really dominated them…4-5 but like…if they beat Reitz maybe they carried more momentum and got better at closing out games…they could honestly be 8-1 or 7-2

28 minutes ago, combthehair said:

For the record. No! The best of the Pac are year in year out as good as the best in the SIAC. 

I will say…you have been pretty consistent all year at saying Boonville was a pretty good team

54 minutes ago, combthehair said:

I think that first drive interception against Jasper was big. If that doesn’t happen then VL starts the game 7-0. I don’t think Jasper is a superior team to VL this year. 

Well you guys certainly looked superior.

Hoping Lincoln has got this run of bad football out of their system or expect to see a similar result in Fort Branch. 

1 hour ago, SEAL_63 said:

Well..it’s Thursday…

I wasn’t going to resort to this but the lack of insults being thrown to this point has left me no choice!

Bobe’s > Sandy’s

Any day of the week. 

That's as low as I have ever seen anyone go on here.  You my friend are a scoundrel. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I don’t know what there is to insult lol

VL has a good team and are better than the 4-5 record suggests in my opinion 

looking back on their games, VL lead memorial and north at half…had Reitz within 1….the castle game they trailed 21-14 at half.

outside of really this last week, no team has really dominated them…4-5 but like…if they beat Reitz maybe they carried more momentum and got better at closing out games…they could honestly be 8-1 or 7-2

I will say…you have been pretty consistent all year at saying Boonville was a pretty good team

You’re absolutely right. Nothing bad that you can really say about either team. I was just kind of surprised the thread hadn’t generated a little more discussion. Five years ago it seemed like there were 10 pages at this point in the week.

In a way, I think both teams have exceeded expectations. You’re right, I really thought after the Reitz and Mater Dei games that Lincoln wood finish roughly 6-3 or 5-4 at worst. 4-5 certainly not a reflection of their season.

And I know I’ve seen a few Gibson Southern folk on here saying they did not expect to be undefeated. That’s a testament to the players for not allowing a hangover season and to the standard that Coach Hart has established. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SEAL_63 said:

You’re absolutely right. Nothing bad that you can really say about either team. I was just kind of surprised the thread hadn’t generated a little more discussion. Five years ago it seemed like there were 10 pages at this point in the week.

In a way, I think both teams have exceeded expectations. You’re right, I really thought after the Reitz and Mater Dei games that Lincoln wood finish roughly 6-3 or 5-4 at worst. 4-5 certainly not a reflection of their season.

And I know I’ve seen a few Gibson Southern folk on here saying they did not expect to be undefeated. That’s a testament to the players for not allowing a hangover season and to the standard that Coach Hart has established. 

I can’t speak for anyone but myself…but 4-5 years ago I thought GS was unstoppable and should blow out everyone lol.  

maybe it’s that GS finally won a state title and I know what level of play is needed + good fortune is needed to win it all…maybe I’m just happy if they win this week and 1 week at a time.  

in some sense….I think the heartbreak from 2015-2020 has humbled my opinions.  Thinking back to last year…..everyone could see that the stars were aligning for a title run but I specifically remember thinking “we just need to make it out of sectionals first” and then it was “we need to just be Lawrenceburg” then Tri west…and then it was Brebeuf 

coming into this year the thought was “well GS should have enough to win the PAC…and if GS can do that then a sectional title is certainly possible” 

9-0 has definitely been a wonderful surprise…but it has definitely come with a lot of anxiety lol.  Plenty of moments where this GS team could have just gave less effort and lost.  But like you said…it’s a testament to the players and the coaching staff.  

this team may not go down as the best GS team ever…but I certainly feel they are the most determined and gritty team they have ever had.  Just absolutely zero quit in them 

6 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

Well..it’s Thursday…

Bobe’s > Sandy’s

Any day of the week. 

Farouk You!@!.....LOL

Actually both are pretty damn good. Always get the Farouk pizza from bobes. I have no idea why it is called that.....just like i dont know what an Alice is.

• Haha 1

So, just what is an Alice?

Like in the tale that describes the origin of the word Hoosier, the nickname that adorns the home jerseys for Vincennes Lincoln High School has, shall we say, a cryptic past.

In a senior paper, one Vincennes Lincoln student gave two very plausible scenarios.

The first theory is that the school's nickname was spawned from a historical story, “Alice of Old Vincennes,” written by Maurice Thompson. The story takes place in Vincennes in 1788.

Of course, as any good fourth-grade student in Indiana can tell you, Vincennes was the state's first city.

The other theory is generated from the time Vincennes won its first state championship in 1923. People were amazed by the success of the young lads, and said the team was like an “Alice in Wonderland,” the way they came up through the ranks to win.

I believe it was the first, I had a great uncle that played in the 20's for the team, and they were already the alice's.

25 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

These kids and their damn... digital bulletin board phones!

I don't know what "Smd b*tch" means, but I can only assume it is slang for "good luck" or "may the best team win!"... right?

Yeah, it could mean that or it could be a despicable act that is intended to be degrading.  🤷‍♂️

I always have to ask my son what these things mean....in context, I got a pretty good idea on this one.

I thought this game would be close, after this, it may be a blow out.  Pun intended?

• Haha 4

Vincennes at Gibson Southern

Vincennes was a very big surprise as at one point they were in 2nd place for the SIAC, and a few plays away from being 6-3, however, a 3 game skid has not helped their case towards the end of the regular season. But, they have a young squad ready to improve too, with a solid dual threat QB in Hunt and a ball hawk defense. As the Alices always seem to have a defender on a receiver or quick enough to stop a big gain. And getting 10 sacks on the season. While the season has been up and down, Vincennes has shown lots of light too. Like beating Mater Dei 31-28 in a nice bounce back game after their last second loss against Reitz in the previous week. But it has been a rough couple of Weeks for the Alices and it gets even harder tonight.

Gibson Southern ran through the PAC again going 9-0 for the 5th time under HC Hart, while getting some nice wins over Terre Haute South Vigo and Kentucky 5A South Warren (Avenged last year’s loss). Jr QB Boyd has taken the reigns under center after Brady Allen graduated and has done an excellent job all year around. While RB Roberts has paved his way on the run game behind a Solid OL. Not to mention on a solid defense giving up 14.1 PPG, while living in a QB’s backfield totaling 24 sacks and 80.0 TFLs. With strong performances by the underclassmen on the team. Gibson Southern has poised itself an 3A favorite all season long, as Titans hope they go back to back. I think this this will be a fun matchup, and Vincennes will be playing for their lives too, however, I’m going to take the Titans by 3 scores.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CheapSeats said:

Triple Option?? I'm guessing this isn't real. Not sure Vincennes has ever run the triple....

Could be a lame attempt at throwing GS off with mind games. Or it really could be a hint of a desperate attempt by an underdog to change the offense in order to surprise GS. But news flash for VL, going to the triple option might "surprise" GS early on, but it wouldn't be near enough to beat them. The best offensive gameplan for VL will be to control the clock (use play-clock, execute long drives), and get Hunt out of the pocket so he can make plays. And maybe throw in a few trick plays they haven't seen.

6 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Could be a lame attempt at throwing GS off with mind games. Or it really could be a hint of a desperate attempt by an underdog to change the offense in order to surprise GS. But news flash for VL, going to the triple option might "surprise" GS early on, but it wouldn't be near enough to beat them. The best offensive gameplan for VL will be to control the clock (use play-clock, execute long drives), and get Hunt out of the pocket so he can make plays. And maybe throw in a few trick plays they haven't seen.

Controlling the clock would be great if GS didn't force you to punt and then they take all of 45 seconds to score.  I believe they are totally fine with you running clock off before you punt.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

Vincennes at Gibson Southern

Vincennes was a very big surprise as at one point they were in 2nd place for the SIAC, and a few plays away from being 6-3, however, a 3 game skid has not helped their case towards the end of the regular season. But, they have a young squad ready to improve too, with a solid image.thumb.png.b50772fc09f4a292379ef6baed6c1219.pngdual threat QB in Hunt and a ball hawk defense. As the Alices always seem to have a defender on a receiver or quick enough to stop a big gain. And getting 10 sacks on the season. While the season has been up and down, Vincennes has shown lots of light too. Like beating Mater Dei 31-28 in a nice bounce back game after their last second loss against Reitz in the previous week. But it has been a rough couple of Weeks for the Alices and it gets even harder tonight.

Gibson Southern ran through the PAC again going 9-0 for the 5th time under HC Hart, while getting some nice wins over Terre Haute South Vigo and Kentucky 5A South Warren (Avenged last year’s loss). Jr QB Boyd has taken the reigns under center after Brady Allen graduated and has done an excellent job all year around. While RB Roberts has paved his way on the run game behind a Solid OL. Not to mention on a solid defense giving up 14.1 PPG, while living in a QB’s backfield totaling 24 sacks and 80.0 TFLs. With strong performances by the underclassmen on the team. Gibson Southern has poised itself an 3A favorite all season long, as Titans hope they go back to back. I think this this will be a fun matchup, and Vincennes will be playing for their lives too, however, I’m going to take the Titans by 3 scores.

• Like 1