Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Clemson

BTF

Either Paul Finebaum has lost his mind or I have. He claims that the "Dabo dynasty is dead" after an embarrassing loss to Duke. Didn't Clemson go 11-2 last season with victories over four ranked opponents? I think Finebaum's comments are premature to say the least. I will admit that Dabo needs to change his views on the transfer portal if he want's to compete for championships again. I admire him for staying out of the transfer portal, but it's really an 'adapt or die' reality.............as unfortunate as that is. 

29 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Finebaum has made no secret of his feelings toward Dabo. For once, I agree with him.

Not a Dabo fan but it can’t be a coincidence that their decline coincided with Elliott and Venables leaving.

Dabo is a cheerleader who trusts his assistants and is now being exposed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Either Paul Finebaum has lost his mind or I have. He claims that the "Dabo dynasty is dead" after an embarrassing loss to Duke. Didn't Clemson go 11-2 last season with victories over four ranked opponents? I think Finebaum's comments are premature to say the least. I will admit that Dabo needs to change his views on the transfer portal if he want's to compete for championships again. I admire him for staying out of the transfer portal, but it's really an 'adapt or die' reality.............as unfortunate as that is. 

Just goes to show you how high the bar has been raised and how hard it is to consistently win in college football. I wasn't impressed with Clemson at all last year and while I don't really follow ACC football, never would have guessed they won that many games until you said it. I do think this is the begging of the end for Dabo and Clemson. Still good enough to win 8-9 games a year but I doubt they really challenge for a national title in the coming years. 

26 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Just goes to show you how high the bar has been raised and how hard it is to consistently win in college football. I wasn't impressed with Clemson at all last year and while I don't really follow ACC football, never would have guessed they won that many games until you said it. I do think this is the begging of the end for Dabo and Clemson. Still good enough to win 8-9 games a year but I doubt they really challenge for a national title in the coming years. 

Legal NIL has had a profound effect on Clemson. 

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

How long are they going to be able to keep getting guys if they lose to Duke?

I have no clue what their NIL collectives look like but they'll continue to get guys so long as the dough is there and/or they stop putting guys in the league. I think the latter in this case is much more prevalent. As Temp said, this is where losing Elliott and Venables is monumental. Those two were the backbone of the program.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Probably because they were manhandled by Notre Dame.

40 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I have no clue what their NIL collectives look like but they'll continue to get guys so long as the dough is there and/or they stop putting guys in the league. I think the latter in this case is much more prevalent. As Temp said, this is where losing Elliott and Venables is monumental. Those two were the backbone of the program.

Agreed. And they're in a very good spot geography wise as they're right off of I-85 and a close drive away from Charlotte and Atlanta. Not to mention South Carolina has a history of pumping out NFL players that'll go to Clemson. Plus, the campus itself and Death Valley are appealing. As you temp said though, the ceiling isn't as high for Dabo when he doesn't have Elite coordinators or Watson, Higgins and Etienne.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Not a Dabo fan but it can’t be a coincidence that their decline coincided with Elliott and Venables leaving.

Dabo is a cheerleader who trusts his assistants and is now being exposed.

Aren't most coaches at the mercy of how well their offensive and defensive coordinators perform?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

Fair.

You disagree on Dabo? Dabo surrounded himself with the brightest minds in football and with the best talent. He put himself in an impossible position to fail. He no longer has either of those luxuries.

Look at Saban and Urban when they went to the NFL and actually had to coach and didn't enjoy the rags to riches luxury of talent they enjoyed over the rest of their competition while in college? They failed miserably. 

24 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

You disagree on Dabo? Dabo surrounded himself with the brightest minds in football and with the best talent. He put himself in an impossible position to fail. He no longer has either of those luxuries.

Look at Saban and Urban when they went to the NFL and actually had to coach and didn't enjoy the rags to riches luxury of talent they enjoyed over the rest of their competition while in college? They failed miserably. 

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just not ready to dub Dabo as a bad coach coming off of an 11-2 season. 

1 minute ago, BTF said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just not ready to dub Dabo as a bad coach coming off of an 11-2 season. 

Don't think he's a "bad" coach either. But I think he's going to go from a perennial  11-12 win coach to an 8-9 win coach real quick. That was Tommy Bowden...and he got fired. 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Urban, won't disagree. Saban though could have been a different script had he gotten what he wanted in Brees to the Dolphins.

I don't watch Paul Finebaum because he's far too opinionated at times.  It's the first game of the season and all he!! isn't breaking loose yet.  Let's wait a few more games to determine what programs will survive the season, and God only knows who will survive the craziness coming up beginning next season.  I'm not defending Dabo, and don't rate him as an elite coach, but it's too early to get all wound up over one game.  TCU and LSU fits this mold also.  We'll know more soon enough.  And Finebaum loves to stir things up.

It was fun watching Brian Kelly twitching at the end of the Florida State game though.  He could have left ND in a classier way.