Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hamilton Southeastern vs. Westfield

Bobref

Question

This was the last play of the game. Ruled a TD on the field, giving the Shamrocks the win. Some observations. But first the video.

https://www.facebook.com/519402118/videos/241631878410858/

I know there are better videos out there than this. Anyone got links to more video?

There are 2 questions here that have to be answered in order to rule properly on this very difficult play.

1.  Where is the forward progress spot? But in order to rule on that, we have to know:

2.  When did the receiver possess the ball?

This is an airborne receiver. When an airborne player makes a catch, his forward progress is the furthest point of advancement after he possesses the ball if contacted by a defender. So, we need to determine when the receiver “possessed” the ball. He possesses the ball when he has caught it. A “catch” occurs when an airborne ball is possessed and the player first contacts the ground inbounds while maintaining control of the ball.

What all this means is that in this play the receiver does complete the catch, as he is moving from the end zone toward the field of play. Therefore, the forward progress spot is the point where the ball was at the time the receiver, while holding the ball, was contacted by the defender. You decide for yourself where that was - if you think you can from the video. 

10 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

This was the last play of the game. Ruled a TD on the field, giving the Shamrocks the win. Some observations. But first the video.

I know there are better videos out there than this. Anyone got links to more video?

There are 2 questions here that have to be answered in order to rule properly on this very difficult play.

1.  Where is the forward progress spot? But in order to rule on that, we have to know:

This is an airborne receiver. When an airborne player makes a catch, his forward progress is the furthest point of advancement after he possesses the ball if contacted by a defender. So, we need to determine when the receiver “possessed” the ball. He possesses the ball when he has caught it. A “catch” occurs when an airborne ball is possessed and the player first contacts the ground inbounds while maintaining control of the ball.

What all this means is that in this play the receiver does complete the catch, as he is moving from the end zone toward the field of play. Therefore, the forward progress spot is the point where the ball was at the time the receiver, while holding the ball, was contacted by the defender. You decide for yourself where that was - if you think you can from the video. 

I'm not at all sure what the ruling was.  But this is NOT a TD!   

Guessing that the "blue area" is the end zone....  

Like you, I need a better video to understand the situation and the call that followed.  

8 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

I'm not at all sure what the ruling was.  But this is NOT a TD!   

Guessing that the "blue area" is the end zone....  

Like you, I need a better video to understand the situation and the call that followed.  

I just shared the Hudl video with you. A little different view.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I was watching online. I did not think it was a TD at first. But the official was standing in position less than 2 feet away, straddling the goal line. I thought he was in the perfect position to make the call. 

Just now, gonzoron said:

I was watching online. I did not think it was a TD at first. But the official was standing in position less than 2 feet away, straddling the goal line. I thought he was in the perfect position to make the call. 

Very true. Good crew on that game.

• Like 2

This is from the broadcast. If the official determined he possessed it while completely on his back, it looks like a TD to me. As Ron said, that official is right there with a great view. I tried a screenshot of the WR on his back. As he rolls, it does look like he has the ball in the middle of his chest at the top of the number on his jersey. In this shot, he is most of the way on or over the goal line himself. 
image.thumb.png.49b98007be8d9cc6cdab2930b23e2276.png

On this particular play, to make a correct ruling, you'd have to be in the postion this particular linesman was in.  Straddling the gloal linewith a clear view of the action.  Judging from your comments about the crew, I would have to trust the ruling on the field.  There is honestly no way to think otherwise unless we had a camera in the pylon.

It is an interesting play to discuss.

• Like 1

This is one where you have to trust the covering official that is in the right position and looking at all the action. There is no hesitation in his call and he appears confident. But he doesn't oversell to try to convince everyone he is right. I agree this is a very good crew so based on that, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. None of these video angles show anything definitively either way and people on both sides can probably use it to prove it was the right or wrong call.