Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

On 12/7/2023 at 1:25 PM, BDGiant93 said:

I think the Giants should still be pretty good. Isaiah Rogers has one of the best arms I've ever seen in a high school quarterback. I mean, his ball means business coming off his arm. It's going to be incredibly hard to replace the leadership the Giants will be losing on the field and off (Kevin Vanderbush retiring), but I think Coach Mann and his staff will "go back into the lab" and figure something out. I was really impressed with Russ this year. While he landed on second or third base with this roster, he certainly never acted like it the way he coached them up. 

As far as the rest of 6A goes, I would expect Warren will have a lights out, championship defense. They were very young this year. If they can figure something out on offense, they could certainly have enough to hang a plaque. Center Grove's not going anywhere. You'll probably see those HCC teams continuing to show what they're made of...especially Westfield who, anecdotally, I heard was a year ahead of where they thought they'd be.

I'm interested to see what happens with Sectional realignment this year. With Snider joining 6A, that likely pushes Fishers and HSE south again since the IHSAA does not want to separate schools in the same district. Of course, that depends on what squads end up at the bottom of 6A and drop to 5A with Cathedral and Snider up. 

Shocking.

18 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Penn Drops Carmel in favor of Mishawaka.....

We will be an undefeated paper giant going into sectionals for the foreseeable future. 

GAH. 

#droptheNIC

Mishawaka is a quality team !! But you are right, they ain't no Carmel.

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

Mishawaka is a quality team !! But you are right, they ain't no Carmel.

This is game is the culmination of my frustration. Keeping Mishawaka on the schedule would not be so frustrating if you have Carmel and at least another quality 6A on the schedule....

But we get Mishawaka on top of Adams, Washington and Riley....This is possibly the worst schedule Penn has played since 98.

I would rather play Carmel, Valpo, Mishawaka and a top Fort Wayne team or Indy area school and go 1-3 in those games then be undefeated and get owned at home in game one of the Sectionals...

We have seen schools send their JV to play teams of similar quality and the IHSAA doesn't punish them, Penn can do the same thing. This opens up 3 additional games a year for Penn to add quality opponents. 

6 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

This is game is the culmination of my frustration. Keeping Mishawaka on the schedule would not be so frustrating if you have Carmel and at least another quality 6A on the schedule....

But we get Mishawaka on top of Adams, Washington and Riley....This is possibly the worst schedule Penn has played since 98.

I would rather play Carmel, Valpo, Mishawaka and a top Fort Wayne team or Indy area school and go 1-3 in those games then be undefeated and get owned at home in game one of the Sectionals...

We have seen schools send their JV to play teams of similar quality and the IHSAA doesn't punish them, Penn can do the same thing. This opens up 3 additional games a year for Penn to add quality opponents. 

I agree, problem is conference. Why don't they go independent? 

29 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

The senior class from CG went 3-1 in state final games.

The Warren class went 4-0 in state final games, winning each game by double digits each game.  

That is impressive. 

“The CG class of 22 went 3-1 in State finals games.”

2021:  won state over Westfield

2020:  won state over Westfield

2019:  lost state to Carmel

2018:  lost semi state to Warren

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Those aren’t wins, simply the combined final scores of last year’s JV contests involving said teams.

Gotcha...I thought you were going back in time over a certain period.  

I didn't add them up either.  CG had some youth playing varsity this year as well, that impacted the JV squad.  But they will absolutely need to reload at some critical positions. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I thinking he meant class of 2024. In terms of football seasons, it would be the 2023 class. But yes, technically, the class of 2024 went 3-1 in the state finals. 

35 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Gotcha...I thought you were going back in time over a certain period.  

I didn't add them up either.  CG had some youth playing varsity this year as well, that impacted the JV squad.  But they will absolutely need to reload at some critical positions. 

Yeah and I mean I assume that coaching philosophies at the JV/freshman level vary when it comes to balancing playing time and scoring with your ones.

I have no evidence of this, just spitballing.

1 hour ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

The landscape of football now is different than what it was in the 90's. A good team could obliterate a weak schedule and still win the 5A (now 6A) championship. To make a run to Lucas and expect to win, you have to see at least one, preferably two title contending teams. I think Penn should pick up one team from Fort Wayne (Carroll or Snider) and one team from Indy (pick from ten). 

Penn and Center Grove could be on equal footing, but if Penn doesn't see the caliber of a Top 10 team during the regular season, it will be like hitting a brick wall when they do. For Center Grove, it's just another day at the office, it's nothing new to them to play a team like Penn. I'll take the Trojans by two touchdowns in that scenario. 

Scheduling Mishawaka is fine if you're shooting for the 5A title. But 6A is another ball game. 

Edited by BTF

8 minutes ago, BTF said:

The landscape of football now is different than what it was in the 90's. A good team could obliterate a weak schedule and still win the 5A (now 6A) championship. To make a run to Lucas and expect to win, you have to see at least one, preferably two title contending teams. I think Penn should pick up one team from Fort Wayne (Carroll or Snider) and one team from Indy (pick from ten). 

Penn and Center Grove could be on equal footing, but if Penn doesn't see the caliber of a Top 10 team during the regular season, it will be like hitting a brick wall when they do. For Center Grove, it's just another day at the office, it's nothing new to them to play a team like Penn. I'll take the Trojans by two touchdowns in that scenario. 

Scheduling Mishawaka is fine if you're shooting for the 5A title. But 6A is another ball game. 

I’ll take the Trojans by four touchdowns in that scenario.  

You continue to be too kind to non Indy 6A teams.

Not sure what else you need to see.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, temptation said:

I’ll take the Trojans by four touchdowns in that scenario.  You continue to be too kind to non Indy 6A teams.

Two teams of equal caliber aren't separated by four touchdowns no matter the schedules in my opinion. Not sure were talking about the same thing here. 

Edited by BTF

Let me put this a different way. We'll use Center Grove as an example..........any year. Clone their team, put Penn uniforms on them and play Penn's schedule. When the two teams meet at the end of the season, the team wearing the CG jerseys win by two touchdowns. 

It's another day at the office for the guys wearing the CG jerseys. The guys wearing the Penn jerseys won't know what him them until the damage is already done. 

Edited by BTF

20 minutes ago, BTF said:

Preach

12 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’ll take the Trojans by four touchdowns in that scenario.  

You continue to be too kind to non Indy 6A teams.

Not sure what else you need to see.

I agree

8 minutes ago, BTF said:

Let me put this a different way. We'll use Center Grove as an example..........any year. Clone their team, put Penn uniforms on them and play Penn's schedule. When the two teams meet at the end of the season, the team wearing the CG jerseys win by two touchdowns. 

It's another day at the office for the guys wearing the CG jerseys. The guys wearing the Penn jerseys won't know what him them until the damage is already done. 

This was Penn's issue for most of the 90's they were state contender's but until they started playing BD yearly, that is when Penn takes off and wins 2 out of 3 titles in 5 years. The 95 title I think was a team that transcended their schedule no mater what. 

• Like 1

Technical difficulties trying to reply.

This looks like 2-1 in state finals?? Only 3 state games. 

13 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Technical difficulties trying to reply.

This looks like 2-1 in state finals?? Only 3 state games. 

Center Grove played in the last four state title games, they won three of them. 

Just now, psaboy said:

Got that, the illustration only showed 3 state title games though so that leads to my confusion. 

It started with a typo. Temp pointed out that the class of 2022 would be football years 2018-2021.

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Now I get it.